+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 203

Thread: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

  1. #31
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10,007

    Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

    Quote Originally Posted by bevorules View Post
    I agree with this. Judges had to slam them because he broke the rules, but they are fantastic from an entertainment/talent standpoint. I am just angry at Mark for doing it because Chelsea is too good a dancer to get 5's because Mark wants to do something different. If he had done that (with a trick or two) as a freestyle, it would have gotten 10's. There is a time and a place which is what the judges want Derek and Mark to learn.
    I think if Derek had done it, he would have gotten denounced, but he still would have gotten 7s because they danced it so well!
    What you say?? How many times did we hear the judges call Derek on something and not really count off on it? He would still get pretty good scores because they did dance well even though they didn't do something right.
    In other words, their punishment was the tongue lashing.
    Mark got the tongue lashing and the points deduction even though the dance was remarkable whatever it was.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

  2. #32
    Romantic Dreamer Love_Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,843

    Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

    How did they break the rules?
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

  3. #33
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

    'Dancing With the Stars': Chelsea Kane hopes bold moves will bring younger fans to the show - From Inside the Box - Zap2it

    Actress Chelsea Kane hit the ballroom floor running on the season premiere of "Dancing With the Stars." And though the judges were noticeably harsh in their critique of her and partner Mark Ballas' bold week 2 jive, she's emerged as an early front-runner.

    Zap2it caught up with Kane after her appearance on The KTLA News Morning Show, where she explained her strategy moving forward in the competition.

    "The fan reaction has been amazing," the 22-year-old says of her most recent performance. "And that, for both Mark and I, is why we have no regrets going so unconventional with our jive. Everyone has been so complimentary, reaching out to us on Twitter and Facebook."

    Because of the response, Chelsea and Mark are determined to find a happy medium between fresh choreography and a traditional routine in week 3. "We're going to try to combine both elements this week for our Cha Cha," she says. "[We'll] still make it cool so that the fans like it and people our age want to watch it and enjoy it, but a little more [of a] traditional Cha Cha so that we don't get a 5."

    The real challenge for the Cha Cha, her first Latin dance of the season, will be compensating for what she refers to as a natural hip deficiency -- something her partner isn't making her feel much better about.

    "It sucks because Mark makes a better girl than I do," says Kane."The guys have to show the girls all of their moves... Mark can work it out much better than I can. My pride is taking a hit right now."
    I'm guess I'm sort of lost on a few things with these two. For one thing, it's not like the jive Mark did (or non jive) is the most daring dance ever done on this show or another. The way I read into it, it's almost like they created and did something completely rebellious. Mark freaked me out with that dance, and proved to me again why I hate his jives. Even as a freestyle, while fun, I'd be rolling my eyes at his typical fish face OTT facial expressions and over dancing. At least Chelsea can keep up so he doesn't outdance her.

    Plus, what's all this about staying your age and hoping to recruit younger viewers? It's not like she's the only 20 something on the show, and I don't think it says anything about the other pros who are staying within the rules and coming up with entertaining routines. Quite honestly, I'm enjoying 60 year old Kirstie and the 49 year old Karate Kid more than anyone right now (not to mention Hines). I watched Ralph's jive, Kirstie's cha cha, and Hines quick step and cha cha over and over again. So far those 3 are the standouts to me, and have more to prove than Chelsea. Karina and Kym have kept everything in check and have come up with some great material. Len doesn't like messing about, and that's what a lot of his jive was. I've seen on other sites people commenting that Mark seems like he's auditioning to be a choreographer on SYTYCD. I don't watch that show very much, so I'm not sure if that's the type of dances you see or not. It seems like Mark will go out of his way to give the performance he wants, whether his partner does or not, and then whine about it if he doesn't get the scores he thinks he deserves. I wish he had gotten called out on that last week. I can't always predict what CA and Bruno will do, but Len gave Nicole/Derek's quick step a 6, so he obviously wasn't going to get anywhere with him.

    I expect Chelsea to do very well with this dance. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she scores within the top 3 this week. She's the only cha cha and has 5 rumbas, a samba, a VW, a paso, and a foxtrot to compete with. So assuming they don't do a lot of messing about, I think she'll come out on top, or near the top. At least with CA and Bruno. Len may be more picky.

  4. #34
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10,007

    Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    'Dancing With the Stars': Chelsea Kane hopes bold moves will bring younger fans to the show - From Inside the Box - Zap2it



    I'm guess I'm sort of lost on a few things with these two. For one thing, it's not like the jive Mark did (or non jive) is the most daring dance ever done on this show or another. The way I read into it, it's almost like they created and did something completely rebellious. Mark freaked me out with that dance, and proved to me again why I hate his jives. Even as a freestyle, while fun, I'd be rolling my eyes at his typical fish face OTT facial expressions and over dancing. At least Chelsea can keep up so he doesn't outdance her.

    Plus, what's all this about staying your age and hoping to recruit younger viewers? It's not like she's the only 20 something on the show, and I don't think it says anything about the other pros who are staying within the rules and coming up with entertaining routines. Quite honestly, I'm enjoying 60 year old Kirstie and the 49 year old Karate Kid more than anyone right now (not to mention Hines). I watched Ralph's jive, Kirstie's cha cha, and Hines quick step and cha cha over and over again. So far those 3 are the standouts to me, and have more to prove than Chelsea. Karina and Kym have kept everything in check and have come up with some great material. Len doesn't like messing about, and that's what a lot of his jive was. I've seen on other sites people commenting that Mark seems like he's auditioning to be a choreographer on SYTYCD. I don't watch that show very much, so I'm not sure if that's the type of dances you see or not. It seems like Mark will go out of his way to give the performance he wants, whether his partner does or not, and then whine about it if he doesn't get the scores he thinks he deserves. I wish he had gotten called out on that last week. I can't always predict what CA and Bruno will do, but Len gave Nicole/Derek's quick step a 6, so he obviously wasn't going to get anywhere with him.

    I expect Chelsea to do very well with this dance. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she scores within the top 3 this week. She's the only cha cha and has 5 rumbas, a samba, a VW, a paso, and a foxtrot to compete with. So assuming they don't do a lot of messing about, I think she'll come out on top, or near the top. At least with CA and Bruno. Len may be more picky.
    After nearly strangling her last week, I think that if the couple stay anywhere near in bounds, we are going to see good scores because (1) all three judges have already acknowledged that Chelsea is a natural dancer and (2) it is a natural inclination to try and compensate with a positive after dealing such a previous negative to a really good dancer.
    Now, if Mark comes back with another rebellious number, I wouldn't be surprised if they lowball her again. I don't think the judges are going to be pushed around.

    However, I think I understand what Mark and Chelsea are trying to do. They want to appeal to their age group with the kind of steps and dance their age will like. However, a glance at some of the popular vote sites will show that the Mark and Chelsea are already popular. Maybe they don't know that, though. It may be that the Disney fans vote, and it may be that Derek's fans are cross voting as someone suggested.

    On the other hand, I too am enjoying some of the other couples who are older and who are dancing typical routines.
    In fact, I am enjoying all of them.
    It's all good to me.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

  5. #35
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,146

    Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    The judges didn't like it and said it was inappropriate. However, he was dressed as the Joker( I think perhaps from a pack of cards). The other option is he looked like something from a modern day version of Alice in Wonderland. Her costume also was catchy.

    They were inappropriate.....they also were fantastic. Sorry, but they danced extremely well. I was quite taken with the dance even if it was inappropriate. I think I am the only one who is bothering to give them this much credit, but they are due that.
    These two kids knocked the ball out of the park with that dance whatever it was....
    It was my favorite of the night, too.
    I actually think Mark did it to establish themselves in the eyes of the viewers. Chelsea is one of the least known contestants this season.
    That dance, however, is one I will remember.
    I do understand the judging criteria, but to give it a 5 with some of the others who are really pretty awful getting much higher grades seems a bit ludicrous. But, then, this is DWTS.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  6. #36
    Resident "tyrant" JavaJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bedlam
    Posts
    6,193

    Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

    I loved that dance, as well. Her facial expressions were dead on and I enjoyed the whole thing. But I LOVE SYTYCD and it looked like something you'd see on that program, so I was happy watching it.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

  7. #37
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10,007

    Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I loved that dance, as well. Her facial expressions were dead on and I enjoyed the whole thing. But I LOVE SYTYCD and it looked like something you'd see on that program, so I was happy watching it.
    My daughter watches SYTYCD but not DWTS because the contestants are so gifted. She is the one who talked me into watching SYTYCD when I didn't care to ( break dancing -dancing on the top of one's head - does zero for me as an art form). However, I was in her home the other night, so I was watching DWTS, and she watched it with me. Her comment when she saw Mark and Chelsea's routine was that it looked like something that would be on SYTYCD.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

  8. #38
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

    If Mark is doing dances like that to try and drum up votes, he's seriously underestimating his own fanbase. I think he could get solid weeks of a total score of 3 and still make it through. I don't know what type of fanbase Chelsea has, but I believe the two of them together makes for some pretty diehard fans. I guess it just depends on your taste. I didn't like it, and wouldn't have even if a pro I liked came up with it. I'm glad they got called out, but had they done it weeks down the road, they probably wouldn't have suffered in the scores like they did. If it wasn't a proper jive, they're lucky they got a 5 from Len. He's the real stickler when it comes to staying within the rules and not messing about. I also wish that, if a pro wants to take an audience pleasing/judges alienating risk, they'll just own it and not try to say why they judges are wrong.

    I do think Chelsea could take the top spot this week with her cha cha. I think in her case it's a fairly easy dance to master. Hopefully we don't see any 9s or 10s yet in the competition, but I wouldn't be surprised. Five rumbas, which I'm sure aren't all going to go well, up against weaker dancers in Wendy and Sugar Ray doing their own style...I think Hines might be the only one to give her competition this week, although the samba isn't the easiest dance to learn.

  9. #39
    FORT Fan CrazyDutchWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    334

    Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

    They are going to win this season. That is my prediction.
    I remember from Sabrina that Americans love their disney stars and she is dancing with Mark who is one of the Golden 3.

    Question? Does she really have no dance experience?

  10. #40
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDutchWoman View Post
    They are going to win this season. That is my prediction.
    I remember from Sabrina that Americans love their disney stars and she is dancing with Mark who is one of the Golden 3.

    Question? Does she really have no dance experience?
    I am loving this season but these winning would take it completely downhill for me and put a black mark next to it. I'm so ready for someone outside of Mark/Derek to win again. However, if he makes it to the finals I would be more shocked if he lost. He and Chelsea would probably kill the freestyle round. I don't think TPTB want a predictable outcome this year, or at least not this early, so maybe that's another reason they're lowballing these two. The one saving grace for me is, unlike Derek, I don't think the judges have their heads so far up Mark's behind. Derek I actually like. Tired of him? Yeah, and I honestly don't think anything is lacking because he's not there. But of course, I think we could replace every pro and probably wouldn't tell the difference. However, Mark just completely rubs me the wrong way in every way. I don't like him or his attitude and ego. He knows how to perform; that'll I'll give him. Sabrina was a "shocking" elimination, so I can only hope the same happens here. DWTS was still in it's prime then, and Mark hadn't developed the fanbase he has now. At least the others are making quite a splash and seem to either have decent fanbases or are gaining new fans.

    Right now I think the top contenders are Chelsea, Ralph, and Hines, but I think a lot can happen in the next few weeks. I don't really expect Sugar Ray or Wendy in it much longer. I have big question marks next to Romeo, Petra, and Kendra as to how long they'll last. Chris Jericho I don't really see going anywhere anytime soon, unless he has a really bad week. Kirstie, even if she burns out, I think will be around awhile.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.