+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

FORT Fanatic

Re: Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas - Season 12

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    I really like Chelsea and think she is an excellent dancer, but Mark is so full of himself. Otherwise, this would be one of my favorite pairs this season and my votes would go to them.
    I'm not buying into any of this banter about Mark. So he dates girls! So he dates girls that are connected to shows that his life revolves around, or within the network, or within his friendship circles! And that is unusual??? Average, non-TV personality people, meet others at work, at social clubs, at the gym, at places of common interests, or from friends who introduce them to one another. That is life!!! That is how it has always worked! Mark is doing nothing different - meeting girls where he works, developing friendships, exploring possibility of relationships. He is young - and young people date around (period). And where else would he meet people when his entire world revolves around dance and music?? How ridiculous it is to criticize anyone for doing what we all do when we date or once dated in our lives.

As for Chelsea - he's doing an amazing job with her. And unless it is written in the rules that all dances have to be performed by "professional ballroom judging standards" leaving no room or tolerance for creativity, then he deserves respect for having some of the more interesting coreographed pieces of the season. Creativity will help the show keep the interest of the audience and ensure the success of the show - how many foxtrots can you watch to songs that are repeated time and time again before they start to get boring?? These pro's have all done a great job reviving ballroom dance and expanding a country's interest in this form of expression.

If it's not too late, and this show has not jumped the shark yet, I'd recommend they revisit the judges - and consider fresh blood. But that is another post on another thread... For now it is about Mark - and I think it should also be noted that this is one TV personality who has never been caught saying anything negative or demeaning about any of his dance partners, other 'stars' on the show, or attacked the ridiculous negative comments that Len has made about him! That is class. The judges would serve themselves well to critique the stars and not the professionals. That is what the show is all about - judging non-dancers!!

Who Mark dates is Mark's business; it doesn't make a bit of difference to me. Same holds true for the rest of them. Most of these supposed relationships are the figment of people's imagination anyway.

I do disagree with his choreography for this show, however. For a ballroom competition, I want to see true ballroom dances. I go to So You Think You Can Dance and a few others for ballet, folk, musical theater, folk, and other genres, and I think Mark might do fine choreography for that show. It's hard enough to find traditional ballroom competitions on tv.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Who Mark dates is Mark's business; it doesn't make a bit of difference to me. Same holds true for the rest of them. Most of these supposed relationships are the figment of people's imagination anyway.

I do disagree with his choreography for this show, however. For a ballroom competition, I want to see true ballroom dances. I go to So You Think You Can Dance and a few others for ballet, folk, musical theater, folk, and other genres, and I think Mark might do fine choreography for that show. It's hard enough to find traditional ballroom competitions on tv.
    You are correct in finding traditional ball room competition on tv. It's rather unfortunate. Some many years ago, we used to trip over the real deal, but it was a rare occasion. If the "rules" state that the "stars" must dance traditional ball room - then, that is one thing... and in conjunciton with that, the judges need to refrain from judging any dance moves except for the star. I never understood DWTS to be professional competition... rather an opportunity to teach non-dancers how to dance ballroom - a little bit and far from the level of a professional dancer. If this was to be professional...then they would be providing them music that is meant for each style of dance and not so contemporary that the pros have to adapt a dance to it. Maks said it himself, his foxtrot was modified to fit the music because it was the only way the dance could have been done - - and that he would not have a chance to teach Kirstie the real foxtrot.

I think Mark as the others are wonderfully gifted people. i agree, their private lives should be private.

I'm not buying into any of this banter about Mark.

I never said the reason I choose not to vote for Mark this season is based on who he chooses to date in his private life.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

FORT Fogey

I enjoy the dances that veer from the standard ballroom format very much. If I had to watch every one of them stick to the format I would be bored to tears. The judges do not share my position. It seems unfair that the celebrity is scored lower because of the choregraphy. I would perfer to see the judges loosen their standards, just a bit, for the sake of entertainment.

They sure gave Hines a huge pass on his last dance! He didn't dance at all!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

If the judges eased up, everybody would break the rules. I think the rules are in place, though loosely applied. It's probably the producers choice who gets away with what and who will get points deducted for the tiniest flaw. The producers want the celebs to pick a fight with the judges, and if calling them out on their lack of the traditional dance does it, they'll be happy for ratings and watercooler talk. I think it's the same if the celeb doesn't get dinged for the choreography; again, if they aren't doing the traditional moves how can the judges really judge how they did the dance? CA said herself during their jive if it was a contemporary routine she would have loved it, but it wasn't a jive and that's what she was supposed to be judging. Erin got dinged by Len in season 10 because he hated that Maks tooks his shirt off during one of their dances. I know this isn't an actual ballroom competition, and Tom himself has even said if you want to watch one find it elsewhere. But I'm glad they set boundaries, because otherwise this would just be like SYTYCD. I wouldn't know what a traditional foxtrot or waltz would consist of, so I'm sure we see the modified for TV purposes, not to mention their music choices.

As for Mark, my opinion: I think he's obnoxious, is a bad sport when he gets comments/scores he doesn't like to hear, and I don't care for his choreography, especially when it focuses on him and not his partner. As for his love life, I could really care less, except I think he and Pia are probably loving the limelight from all the talk in the media about this upcoming week and whether or not they're a couple. If you're in the spotlight and make things public, people will talk.

In my humble opinion, Mark is a great dancer but I'm fed up with him pointing out because of Chelsea's age they should be allowed to step outside the box, away from the rules. I watch the show because it is about ballroom dancing. There are many shows about modern and pop style dancing, not my thing, if it was I'd watch those instead of DWTS. I've noticed Romeo's pro partner Chelsie Hightower never tries to pull the age bit, even though Romeo is the youngest dancer there. What's with Mark wanting to change the rules to match his partner's age? If these people are too young for ballroom dancing - go on a show that caters to your age group in modern dance. Not everyone likes the same thing but don't try to change the rules to suit what you like, that seems to be what Mark is trying to do. If ballroom dancing isn't your thing watch another show that has more of what you want and enjoy watching. But give the people that do enjoy ballroom dancing a break and stop trying to put your own spin on it.

FORT Fogey

Okay you guys. [slinks off with tail between legs]

I'm in the middle on this one. I want to see ballroom, but I want it to be exciting. A memorable dance for me was Lance and Lacey's tango they danced to "Disturbia". It was technically a tango but it had a little extra flair.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I'm in the middle on this one. I want to see ballroom, but I want it to be exciting. A memorable dance for me was Lance and Lacey's tango they danced to "Disturbia". It was technically a tango but it had a little extra flair.
    I am in the middle with you. That is what I was saying above. Just a little loosening of the rules is all.

+ Reply to Thread