+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 12

Re: Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 12

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal View Post
    Do the talk show hosts make fun of men who are over weight also? Or is it a sexist thing? Either way I think it is very cruel.
    And childish. Making fun of someone's looks smacks of junior high "humor." I'm glad to see Kirstie make George look foolish....without making one comment about his looks.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal View Post
    Do the talk show hosts make fun of men who are over weight also? Or is it a sexist thing? Either way I think it is very cruel.
    I think the entertainment industry and society in general are much harder and much more critical of women, especially women in the public eye. Look at all the hoopla a couple of seasons ago when Cheryl Burke gained about 10 or 16lbs and only about 2 or 3 seasons ago when Lacey had put on a few pounds. The paparazzi, gossip rags and society in general are much more forgiving of men who gain weight, who get older, lose their hair etc then they are of women who don't look there best. Is it fair? Is it nice? No, but it exists. No one says too much about George Lopez looking like a big blob even when he makes fun of Kirstie.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I think the entertainment industry and society in general are much harder and much more critical of women, especially women in the public eye. Look at all the hoopla a couple of seasons ago when Cheryl Burke gained about 10 or 16lbs and only about 2 or 3 seasons ago when Lacey had put on a few pounds. The paparazzi, gossip rags and society in general are much more forgiving of men who gain weight, who get older, lose their hair etc then they are of women who don't look there best. Is it fair? Is it nice? No, but it exists. No one says too much about George Lopez looking like a big blob even when he makes fun of Kirstie.
    Also look at how the media and the radio personalities talk about Mike and Molly and how gross it is to see overweight people kiss and be in love, like somehow size makes us unworthy of being in love. It is descrimination and they get away with it. The media's search for physical perfection has made a real problem with teenaged girls and young women with eating disorders. We need to learn to appreciate all types of people and to be comfortable in our own skin no matter our size. Easier said than done. Okay off my soapbox now.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I think the entertainment industry and society in general are much harder and much more critical of women, especially women in the public eye.
    Unfortunately it's not just the media - it's people in general. Have a read of any site on the internet and you will find multiple cases of sneering derision about some woman's appearance, whether it be her weight, her clothes, her hair, her plastic surgery or her eyebrow shape. I really don't understand what pleasure people get from ripping others apart like that*. I will admit that there is a particular actress whom I consider to be hideous and, honestly, painful to look at, but no one on earth other than Mr. Rattus knows who that actress is, and no one ever will as I don't see any real benefit to anyone in causing grief to someone I don't know.

*ETA: I will make allowances for ripping people apart for their behaviour - that's why I'm on a fans of reality tv site .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Another great performance from Kirstie tonight I do think this will catch up to her at some point and she's going to struggle, but she's already made her mark. I'm so glad she finally decided to do this show, and I never imagined I'd be enjoying her and Maks so much. I liked her cha cha better, but I didn't think her quick step was bad at all. Pretty enjoyable, though the dress did seem to hide her feet (good strategy if that was the idea).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Another great performance from Kirstie tonight I do think this will catch up to her at some point and she's going to struggle, but she's already made her mark. I'm so glad she finally decided to do this show, and I never imagined I'd be enjoying her and Maks so much. I liked her cha cha better, but I didn't think her quick step was bad at all. Pretty enjoyable, though the dress did seem to hide her feet (good strategy if that was the idea).
    She has the jive left. What other fast dance does she have? Those are the killers for her, I think, with her age and weight.
    I believe she will be able to emote through the drama dances. She is a cut-up, but she has taken enough direction that I think she will be able to go into the serious role when she has to.
    Hopefully, by the time she gets to two dances per week, she will have built up in endurance.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Fogey

I love this woman; she is very witty! It bet she will turn out to be one of Mak's favorite partners. I don't see any drama coming with her, at all. She is clearly having fun and more skilled than I would have thought. I hope she sticks around for a long time. I would love to see more of her delightful presence and watch her weight go down. She is excited about that part of this endevor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    She has the jive left. What other fast dance does she have? Those are the killers for her, I think, with her age and weight.
    I believe she will be able to emote through the drama dances. She is a cut-up, but she has taken enough direction that I think she will be able to go into the serious role when she has to.
    Hopefully, by the time she gets to two dances per week, she will have built up in endurance.
    I think the samba might prove a challenge for her. I've heard that's one of the harder dances to learn, and even some of the better dances in previous seasons had an off week with that one. I don't know if they're adding/taking out any dance styles this season, but we should still have left the rumba, VW, waltz, samba, paso doble, tango, and AT. That's all I ever remember. Since everyone got their ballroom and latin out of the way, now TPTB could give someone 3 ballroom dances in a row if they felt it gave them a better chance than doing the latin dances. It's a pattern they did in the past, so we'll see if they stick with it this season.

If everything stays the same, next week is story week, when they'll have 3 dance styles instead of the regular two.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I think the samba might prove a challenge for her. I've heard that's one of the harder dances to learn, and even some of the better dances in previous seasons had an off week with that one. I don't know if they're adding/taking out any dance styles this season, but we should still have left the rumba, VW, waltz, samba, paso doble, tango, and AT. That's all I ever remember. Since everyone got their ballroom and latin out of the way, now TPTB could give someone 3 ballroom dances in a row if they felt it gave them a better chance than doing the latin dances. It's a pattern they did in the past, so we'll see if they stick with it this season.

If everything stays the same, next week is story week, when they'll have 3 dance styles instead of the regular two.
    Samba is a dance where Derek will be missed. His Samba choreography is always spot on and somehow his partners (even the so/so ones like Joanna and Jenny Garth) have nailed it. I can't remember the Samba scores for Brandy, Mel B or Laila to remember if Maks is great at teaching it to celebs and giving good choreography with it. Kirstie's Paso Doble and Tangos are going to be great and might net them 10's if they are late enough in the season. They will also do well with Rhumba, Waltz and Foxtrot. I do see Jive as being a problem and if they give them something different like Swing, Lindy Hop or Jitterbug like they have in past seasons.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules View Post
    Samba is a dance where Derek will be missed. His Samba choreography is always spot on and somehow his partners (even the so/so ones like Joanna and Jenny Garth) have nailed it. I can't remember the Samba scores for Brandy, Mel B or Laila to remember if Maks is great at teaching it to celebs and giving good choreography with it. Kirstie's Paso Doble and Tangos are going to be great and might net them 10's if they are late enough in the season. They will also do well with Rhumba, Waltz and Foxtrot. I do see Jive as being a problem and if they give them something different like Swing, Lindy Hop or Jitterbug like they have in past seasons.
    I went and checked: Laila received perfect scores for her samba (danced week 7), and Mel B received a 29 for hers week 5 of season 5. I think they also had the encore that week Brandy's a little bit of a different story. She danced her samba week 3 for story week, and that was the week of the infamous butt slapping tough-love teacher Maks that the judges criticized. So while her samba wasn't anything special, I did wonder if that influenced their scores. However, she received all 8s, and I didn't really think it deserved any higher. Erin got 2 9s from CA and Bruno, but cranky old Len didn't like Maks taking his shirt off and gave them a 7. I think Maks could probably choreograph something great for Kirstie; I feel if anything does her in it'll be her nerves.

+ Reply to Thread