+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 12

Re: Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 12

Thanks for the people who agree that Kirstie can't possibly wear a 2 or 6 or whatever the current rumor is. I'm a little bit smaller than she - my husband says a lot, but I'm allowing for the camera adding lb's - and I wear a 14-16. Okay, mostly a 16. I hear y'all say that in expensive clothes she could wear a smaller size. Obviously, I'm not aquainted with those brands! NO WAY could she - or I - fit in a 6, or even a 10 no matter how much shapewear we had on unless the size tag was pure fiction!
    I congratulate her for getting healthier, and hope she keeps it up. Now, if they just had "Dancing With the Middle-aged, Middle Class Grandmothers," I might could get on the show and have a hope of regaining (some of) the cute figure I once had! (Or die trying!)

ITA with most of the posts...though Kirstie looks great to me! A good example...Jessica Simpson, when photographed in her "MOM" jeans, was a size 4. Size 4 is big for someone Jessica's height. Same for me...I am 5' and wear 0 to 2. I am NOT skinny.

I guess this subject isn't going away, so I'll weigh in, no pun intended. I am almost 5'10" with an average frame and now weigh 150 lbs, and wear a size 8, although I can still squeeze into some size 6s I wore when I weighed about 10 lbs. less. (And I probably could still squeeze into some size 4s if I shopped couture.) People would consider me slim at either weight, but certainly not skinny or anorexic. If I put on a 12 or a 14 now, it would swim on me. At a height of 5'8", which I believe is what Kirstie is, she could easily get down to a size 6 without looking gaunt. But I don't think she's there yet.

FORT Fogey

At a height of 5'8", which I believe is what Kirstie is, she could easily get down to a size 6 without looking gaunt. Buy I don't think she's there yet.
    Yes, Kirstie is my height, 5'8" but I disagree she could "easily" get down to a size 6 from where she is now (probably a 16-18) and not look gaunt. The last time I was a size 8 (over 10 years ago), I actually looked older than I do now because my face was too gaunt.

As for high-end clothing being sized differently, I've never purchased designer or couture clothing. I have had a dress made for me (for my son's wedding), the best fitting piece of clothing I've ever had, and it fits like my 16s.

No way on earth is Kristie a size 2-4. Possibly a 12-14 with a good set of Spanx & clothes that fit a little on the large size. I look noticably smaller than her, even without my Spanx & I'm a size 10.
    With that said, she is looking much better. There's nothing wrong with being a size 12. If you're healthy & feel you look good, the number doesn't matter.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    I guess this subject isn't going away, so I'll weigh in, no pun intended. I am almost 5'10" with an average frame and now weigh 150 lbs, and wear a size 8, although I can still squeeze into some size 6s I wore when I weighed about 10 lbs. less. (And I probably could still squeeze into some size 4s if I shopped couture.) People would consider me slim at either weight, but certainly not skinny or anorexic. If I put on a 12 or a 14 now, it would swim on me. At a height of 5'8", which I believe is what Kirstie is, she could easily get down to a size 6 without looking gaunt. But I don't think she's there yet.
    I agree and she has never claimed to be a 2 or a 4. I have no clue why there is a discussion on those sizes. She said in an interview that her goal is size 6 and she is not there yet. She started at size 12 and I have no reason not to believe her since she has been so forthcoming about her weight issues.

One reason she looks larger than a 12 is because we are seeing her next to very thin women every week. TV also adds pounds. People always comment that Oprah, in person, is much smaller than she appears on TV.

it's been a wild ride! Parkhillian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I agree and she has never claimed to be a 2 or a 4. I have no clue why there is a discussion on those sizes. She said in an interview that her goal is size 6 and she is not there yet. She started at size 12 and I have no reason not to believe her since she has been so forthcoming about her weight issues.

One reason she looks larger than a 12 is because we are seeing her next to very thin women every week. TV also adds pounds. People always comment that Oprah, in person, is much smaller than she appears on TV.
    When I was a size 12 (I'm 5'5") I weighed 205 pounds. I carried it mostly in my legs. Think hourglass shape, with a small waist but my calves were large. I have no doubt she started out as a 12 and is almost to her goal weight now.

Back to dancing. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Kirstie will be able to do well having to do two dances plus the dance off thingymajig. Hopefully she rocks it! I would pass out half way through the first dance, so my hat is off to her.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Back in the 1950's and 1960's if you were a 5'4" or 5'5" woman and were 36-24-36 (bust-waist-hips) you were considered to have the ideal figure (you'd weigh about 120). And you'd wear a size 10-12 (unless you went to a very high end store, and then you'd wear an 8). In those days people "judged" women by inches, not sizes, so the sizes were more consistent, as long as you stayed at the same price level. You could walk into a store and make a good guess about what would fit you. These days.... yikes, poor women. Scarlett O'Hara had an 18" waist that she was famous for, but she had to have a slave pull her corset laces in before it was measured.
    BUT for men, it is still inches that count...particularly, how big is your waist...it was then and it is now. They sell pants by waist and in seam, and shirts by collar and sleeve length. Did then, do now. Yes, t-shirt stores at the beach may use small, medium, large, extra large, and it may be hard to know what that means, but the clothes you wear to work have consistent, logical sizing.
    But back to Kirstie...I'm really pleased that she's doing so well...her dancing has really improved, and her attitude seems great.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Parkhillian View Post
    When I was a size 12 (I'm 5'5") I weighed 205 pounds. I carried it mostly in my legs. Think hourglass shape, with a small waist but my calves were large. I have no doubt she started out as a 12 and is almost to her goal weight now.

Back to dancing. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Kirstie will be able to do well having to do two dances plus the dance off thingymajig. Hopefully she rocks it! I would pass out half way through the first dance, so my hat is off to her.
    She does well and praised on her foot work in the slower paced dances. If she has to do the jive or quick step, it will be a problem.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Ok, I'm tentatively poking my head back into this thread. (I am sooooooo over the "what size is Kirstie" focus.)

How cool is it that Kirstie is in the final 3?! Woohoo!!!! I thought her cha-cha was great, too. How screwy was that? An extra 15 points? WHY? Just to make sure that Mark Ballas makes it to the finals?

Anyway, I cannot WAIT until next week to see what Maks & Kirstie come up with for their Free Style.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread