+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 12

IMHO....Rattus that was RIGHT ON! GL and KG would do well to tone things down!

Ooops, left out JR. she needs to tone it down too!
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-02-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Re: Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 12

Btw – since someone threw the subject of ethnicity into the mix, . . .umm . . George Lopez DOES make jokes about his own ethnicity. He does it a LOT – he always has . . .in his stand up, in his monologues, and also back when he had a sitcom. So he could not care less if Kirstie had made such a joke.

Furthermore, referring to someone as a pig or comparing them to a pig does not always refer to weight. It can mean sloppy, greedy, a glutton, and other things. Yes, I know saying something about her ‘hooves’ and using the Geico “wee wee wee” commercial was indirectly comparing her to a pig.

But he didn’t owe her squat – not an apology and certainly not flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post
    Btw – since someone threw the subject of ethnicity into the mix, . . .umm . . George Lopez DOES make jokes about his own ethnicity. He does it a LOT – he always has . . .in his stand up, in his monologues, and also back when he had a sitcom. So he could not care less if Kirstie had made such a joke.

Furthermore, referring to someone as a pig or comparing them to a pig does not always refer to weight. It can mean sloppy, greedy, a glutton, and other things. Yes, I know saying something about her ‘hooves’ and using the Geico “wee wee wee” commercial was indirectly comparing her to a pig.

I mentioned ethnicity specifically because GL does make fun of his own ethnicity, just like Kirstie makes fun of her own weight, and was going for the parallel. And I can bet you GS's salary that if Kirstie ever made a very public ethnic slur towards GL, he would care VERY MUCH and the media would be all over it just like they are with this story.

"Being a pig" can relate to other things besides one's weight, but it was clear that weight was what GL meant when he used it regarding Kirstie.

REf. George Lopez's comments on Kirstie. I don't think he understands how these comments may hurt him. He could lose guest who think they are on the heavy side and are scared he would insult them. He could lose viewers who think he's a jerk. He's probably just desperate for attention. I don't think many people watch his show. I don't and I never knew of anyone who liked him at all. I never understood anything that was remotely interesting or entertaining about him.

I just hope that Kirstie keeps her head up and stays focused. Did you see Kirstie on Oprah several years ago when she revealed some of the HORRIBLE things photographers has said to her out in public. Bascially, they called her names and did everything but spat on her. She has endured a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    Very well put. George Lopez is an @ss. I personally cannot stand him and do not find him funny. I'm glad Kirstie is above coming down to his level.

I don't understand the popularity of bullying humor. maybe it's a reflection of the way society never really leaves the junior high playground, where taunts are acceptable. People laugh because they are glad they aren't the target, or the victim of the taunts is blamed for causing the taunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    REf. George Lopez's comments on Kirstie. I don't think he understands how these comments may hurt him. He could lose guest who think they are on the heavy side and are scared he would insult them. He could lose viewers who think he's a jerk. He's probably just desperate for attention. I don't think many people watch his show. I don't and I never knew of anyone who liked him at all. I never understood anything that was remotely interesting or entertaining about him.

I just hope that Kirstie keeps her head up and stays focused. Did you see Kirstie on Oprah several years ago when she revealed some of the HORRIBLE things photographers has said to her out in public. Bascially, they called her names and did everything but spat on her. She has endured a lot.
    Yes, she never made weight an issue, never talked about it until the horrible slurs from the media and photographers began to take a toll on her and her kids. I'm just tired of adult bullys like Lopez and Joan Rivers. They play to the lowest common denomanator.

As I mentioned in my earlier post addressing this specific issue George Lopez uses ethnic slurs in his own comedy routine. He said he chooses to use the words as a way to take control away from the morons who use such slurs against his heritage. Similalrly, Kirstie has done the same in the way she has chosen to handle the medias obsession about her weight. Again, she never intended to make weight an issue and only did so after the badgering by the tabloids and the media became so bad it was negatively affecting herself and her children. Let's not pretend George Lopez had any other intent in his use of the word pig.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-02-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Those comedians whose primary schtick is to make mean-spirited, personal attacks on someone's appearance or character are lazy and not particularly creative. It is the easiest thing in the world to make fun of someone in order to get a cheap laugh. It requires no skill other than the ability to disregard the fact that words can be truly hurtful to others. It is cowardly for such "comedians" to hide behind the excuse that their cruel words are all in good fun and people should lighten up.

I like a good joke as much as the next person, but the lines of human decency are too easily crossed when the jokes revolve around mocking someone's serious troubles or struggles (with appearance or behavior).
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    . . . . Let's not pretend George Lopez had any other intent in his use of the word pig.
    I’m not “pretending” anything – I don’t have to. I know what GL said, and I already acknowledged he was comparing KA to a pig. By the way, he didn’t "use the word pig" (as you state he did), but, once again, yes, we all know what he meant.

I haven't kept track of when KA started making fun of her own weight. It may have been before the tabloids, it may have been after. I don't see that as being germane to the issue. The point is that if she doesn't want people making jokes about her weight, maybe she should stop doing it herself - on and off DWTS.

I’m not “pretending” anything – I don’t have to. I know what GL said, and I already acknowledged he was comparing KA to a pig. By the way, he didn’t "use the word pig" (as you state he did), but, once again, yes, we all know what he meant.

I haven't kept track of when KA started making fun of her own weight. It may have been before the tabloids, it may have been after. I don't see that as being germane to the issue. The point is that if she doesn't want people making jokes about her weight, maybe she should stop doing it herself - on and off DWTS.
    I think it's an inaccurate assumption that the jokes would stop if Kirstie refrained from mentioning her weight issues, or that the only reason that people like Lopez are making them is because "she did it first", as if that gives them license. On the contrary, like the other poster said, I believe when you make the joke yourself, it results in the attacks from others becoming less effective, and many comics (other than the desperate and unfunny ones like Lopez) will look for more clever and original material.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    I mentioned ethnicity specifically because GL does make fun of his own ethnicity, just like Kirstie makes fun of her own weight, and was going for the parallel. And I can bet you GS's salary that if Kirstie ever made a very public ethnic slur towards GL, he would care VERY MUCH and the media would be all over it just like they are with this story.

"Being a pig" can relate to other things besides one's weight, but it was clear that weight was what GL meant when he used it regarding Kirstie.
    I couldn't agree more with you. Perfectly stated
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Those comedians whose primary schtick is to make mean-spirited, personal attacks on someone's appearance or character are lazy and not particularly creative. It is the easiest thing in the world to make fun of someone in order to get a cheap laugh. It requires no skill other than the ability to disregard the fact that words can be truly hurtful to others. It is cowardly for such "comedians" to hide behind the excuse that their cruel words are all in good fun and people should lighten up.

I like a good joke as much as the next person, but the lines of human decency are too easily crossed when the jokes revolve around mocking someone's serious troubles or struggles (with appearance or behavior).
    It's like the stand up comic in Nutty Professor. He thought he was being so funny to make fun of Professor Clump's weight. Then when Clump is his skinny alter ego and turns the tables, the comic can't take it. You reap what you sew. Also I think Kirstie is funnier than GL any day of the week. The funniest comedians make fun of their own lives and society as a whole instead of making fun of singled out individuals in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    As I mentioned in my earlier post addressing this specific issue George Lopez uses ethnic slurs in his own comedy routine. He said he chooses to use the words as a way to take control away from the morons who use such slurs against his heritage. Similalrly, Kirstie has done the same in the way she has chosen to handle the medias obsession about her weight. Again, she never intended to make weight an issue and only did so after the badgering by the tabloids and the media became so bad it was negatively affecting herself and her children. Let's not pretend George Lopez had any other intent in his use of the word pig.
    This is true and often a defense mechanism to keep ourselves from being hurt by others who choose to make fun of us. It gives us some sense of control of the situation. My brother was obese as a child (he grew taller and lost some weight) and he is amazingly funny, but being the class clown had him popular and kept him from being made fun of. He has a really positive personality and kept his sense of humor even when he lost the weight.

I hope Kirstie and Maks continue to dance well as it will quiet down a lot of the negative. I can also see her losing quite a bit of weight and looking great like Kelly Osborne and Marie Osmund did.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-02-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

+ Reply to Thread