+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Petra Nemcova & Dmitry Chaplin - Season 12

Petra Nemcova & Dmitry Chaplin - Season 12

Petra Nemcova

"The Super Model Survivor"

Pro: Dmitry Chaplin

Born and raised in Karvina, in the Czech Republic, Petra Nemcova took the modeling world by storm after being discovered by a modeling scout on the streets of her native country. She has graced the pages and covers of magazines such as Elle, Harper's Bazaar, Shape, Cosmopolitan, Vanity Fair and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.

In 2004, Petra suffered a broken pelvis and severe internal injuries while on vacation in Thailand during the devastating Tsunami. After her recovery, she created the Happy Hearts Fund, a charitable organization and campaign dedicated to improving children's lives through education and sustainable programs in natural disaster areas.

Happy Hearts Fund, since its inception in 2006, has rebuilt 47 schools and kindergartens, with eight currently on their way, and has presence in nine countries, including Thailand, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru, Sri Lanka, Haiti, India, Chile and Hurricane Katrina-affected areas of the United States. 100 percent of all donations received are directed to children's programming.

Petra has obviously stepped up to great challenges in the past. Now she'll have one more to embrace as she takes to the stage on Dancing With The Stars!

Cast Bios - ABC.com

Meet the Cast video - ABC.com

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Petra Nemcova & Dmitry Chaplin - Season 12

I'm not really feeling these two. They seem like a nice, safe, bland couple. I hope the show doesn't completely milk Petra's tsunami experience, especially given what just happened in Japan. I do admire her for overcoming the obstacles of the tragedy, however, and hope she can touch a lot of hearts right now. I don't have an opinion or nearly any knowledge of her. I could give or take Dmitry, because I'm not crazy about him as a pro. I don't think he added much before, other than he's a nice guy.

I'll predict them as being a judges favorite, especially if Petra has better rhythm than previous models. They might be the surprise of the season.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-13-2011 at 05:05 AM.

We almost had our first drop out, though not for the typical reasons (had Petra quit it would have been Dmitry's second partner of the 3 he's had who had to drop out):

After Tsunami, Petra Nemcova Going "Dancing With a Purpose" - The Hollywood Gossip

After Tsunami, Petra Nemcova Going "Dancing With a Purpose"
    March 14th, 2011 12:07 PM by Free Britney

Petra Nemcova nearly bailed on Dancing With the Stars, which begins next week. But the reason she almost quit is now the exact reason she's hanging in.

With the premiere days away, the supermodel - who barely survived the deadly Asian 2004 tsunami - is shaken up emotionally by last week's disaster in Japan.

"It's very hard to look ... at those videos," she told Access Hollywood.

"There's the famous saying 'six degrees of separation,' but when a natural disaster happens, there's no degree of separation. We are all connected."

Petra Nemcova has seen what a tsunami can do first hand.

In 2004, Nemcova spent eight hours clinging to a palm tree when deadly waves ravaged a Thai resort and claimed the life of her fiance, Simon Atlee.

After months of healing and learning how to walk again, she went back to Thailand to help - instead of going back to work in the fashion business.

She founded The Happy Hearts Foundation to aid children in the wake of natural disasters. She nearly left DWTS to devote herself entirely to it.

Instead, she'll be there when the premiere airs Monday - with the victims in mind.

Nemcova was talked out of dropping out of the competition, sources say - to get the word out to a weekly audience of 18 million viewers.

"This is really 'Dancing With A Purpose' for me," she said. "The purpose is to shine more of a light on the lives of children who are forgotten."

"It's usually when the cameras leave that the support leaves as well," she said last week. "Sometimes a whole generation skips their education."

"And, in areas where it's so poor already, they go even more down the spiral, and extreme poverty is there for so many more years."

Nemcova - now re-engaged to Jamie Belmer - was the only Dancing With the Stars cast member not there for the announcement this month.

She had a previous engagement -- a speech to give at the UN. She's a supermodel with a cause - and one to watch out for come next week.

I hope that she can dance and that she goes far in this show. I have to admire her character and I support her dedication to her worthy cause. From a character only standpoint she has to be the front runner in my book and I will be rooting for her come March 21.

I'll predict them as being a judges favorite, especially if Petra has better rhythm than previous models. They might be the surprise of the season.
    Are the models always the first contestants to go?
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    Are the models always the first contestants to go?
    Not always. Some wash out early like Paulina or Kathy Ireland, but Kelly Monaco and Brooke Burke won their seasons, also Joanna Krupa made the final four.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Petra/Dmitry were what I expected-a gorgeous couple, perfectly nice, but boring. I'll be interested to see how she does next week. I don't think she'll be the first to go, but there's always the potential she could last longer than anyone thought. I figure she'll make it at least the next two eliminations, but I don't know that I see her going much further.

CA is really hypocritical when it comes to her lifts. She's taken off for them week 1 before. Other times she won't take off for it week 7 because it fit the dance. I wish she'd get off even mentioning them at all. If she wants to take off for it, fine, but find something else to critique on.

FORT Regular

I think she is absolutely adorable and seems to be genuinely excited to be on the show. She and Dmitry looked wonderful together-very elegant! I think they were a little underscored. Hope they stay around a while.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KatydidC View Post
    I think she is absolutely adorable and seems to be genuinely excited to be on the show. She and Dmitry looked wonderful together-very elegant! I think they were a little underscored. Hope they stay around a while.
    She is gorgeous, and they are going to look exqusite waltzing and perhaps doing the tango. However, Len is right, I fear, in that the two of them are going to suffer in dances like the jive in that they are both tall and will perhaps tend to look gangly and/or awkward.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

I also think that any hip dance is going to be difficult due to the injuries she has had. I know she went through rehab but not the same as all the hip action she'll be doing, especially in the latin dances. But I like her. She is gorgeious, elegant, sweet, and works hard.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast