+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralph Macchio & Karina Smirnoff - Season 12

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Ralph Macchio & Karina Smirnoff - Season 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I most definitely don't want to give the impression I don't like or don't approve of Ralph in any way. I am looking forward to watching him dance; however, I do think it behooves us to look at the situation as it is. Now that it is out there for what it is, I hope he does well.
    I thoroughly enjoyed his last performance.
    Oh no Bloomers, I wasn't directing my comment at you. It's only fair that if someone had previous experience it gets brought up, especially if they're being portrayed to be a natural (I know Ralph isn't and no one said he was, but you get the point). I do think that, even with any previous experience, age might work against Ralph. While Donny had a pretty easy ride, he did hit some snags and had a hard time keeping up at times. I do think Donny is an exception, since he's a freaking Osmond. All this talk about any experience and training Ralph had is why I'm so curious how he'll handle the jive this week. That might really be telling. I do think Ralph might have an easier time with the ballroom dances instead of the latin. I really can't wait to see him do a tango and AT.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Oh no Bloomers, I wasn't directing my comment at you. It's only fair that if someone had previous experience it gets brought up, especially if they're being portrayed to be a natural (I know Ralph isn't and no one said he was, but you get the point). I do think that, even with any previous experience, age might work against Ralph. While Donny had a pretty easy ride, he did hit some snags and had a hard time keeping up at times. I do think Donny is an exception, since he's a freaking Osmond. All this talk about any experience and training Ralph had is why I'm so curious how he'll handle the jive this week. That might really be telling. I do think Ralph might have an easier time with the ballroom dances instead of the latin. I really can't wait to see him do a tango and AT.
    My guess with Ralph and the Latin is that the previous dance experience is going to help provide a good sense of rhythm and hip movement. What I think it is going to help even more with him is attitude!
    I think Ralph is going to be able to go with the flow. He danced all of those years to music, and he is used to getting in to the mood of that music. When she tells him he has to feel such and such, he probably won't stand there and argue with her or complain like we hear some do about how hard it is to do(to feel such and such).
    It may take a little bit, but he is still going to be willing, and he is going to do it!

Now...time is not on his side, just like it wasn't on Donnie, Jennifer, or Kirstie's side. It is hard - grueling - to physically work out like that at that pace when you are around 50 or plus - whether you have a past dance experience or not.
    I think that is a given.

That is what is going to be a struggle for Ralph, and that is where I say hats off to him, just like I said it to all of the other middle-agers.
    They have got a lot more going for them than I do, and that is for sure.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Right now I think Ralph and Hines are the two front runners by a pretty decent margin. It's still early so a lot can happen. But Ralph is such a joy to watch. Something about him and Karina just go together so well. And I'm not even a fan of hers, but am glad she's getting to show off her talent this year (and, unlike last time, has a partner that isn't a complete sleaze). Ralph did a fantastic job tonight with the jive. It was a little hectic but not deserving of the remarks it got. Ralph is what I love most in a contestant. He's working hard, is enjoying himself, is respectful of his partner and the process, is humble, can dance, and isn't overconfident. I'm looking forward to many more weeks with him. Karina may find herself making it to the finals for the first time since season 3 (so far her one and only time).

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I love Ralph's charm and dancing, but I have a hard time watching him because of the obvious toupee. I find myself looking at his hairline the whole time .

This season is just such a delight compared to last season. I hope Ralph makes it all the way to the end and Karina is becoming more likable to me.

I didn't know about any of his dance experience, but I am not going to let that temper the delight I get in seeing him perform every week.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Right now I think Ralph and Hines are the two front runners by a pretty decent margin. It's still early so a lot can happen. But Ralph is such a joy to watch. Something about him and Karina just go together so well. And I'm not even a fan of hers, but am glad she's getting to show off her talent this year (and, unlike last time, has a partner that isn't a complete sleaze). Ralph did a fantastic job tonight with the jive. It was a little hectic but not deserving of the remarks it got. Ralph is what I love most in a contestant. He's working hard, is enjoying himself, is respectful of his partner and the process, is humble, can dance, and isn't overconfident. I'm looking forward to many more weeks with him. Karina may find herself making it to the finals for the first time since season 3 (so far her one and only time).
    Ralph just proved my point - the guy absolutely came through with what he can do. I think he must have worked his tail off this last week at a hair-raising pace that must have physically cost him at his age; however, I personally think it paid off for him.

That jive may have been too "hectic" for the judges, but it was a good jive, nevertheless, and he performed those steps very well. He looked great!
    By working hard, what he knew from years and years ago decoded in his muscle memory and his mind came back, and then what Karina added to it and coached him along gave us a performance that for only the 2nd week really was very good.

I am not quite sure what the judges really want. Mark's dance wasn't jive enough. Some jives are "too slow." Some jives are "too sloppy". Some jives use too many props.
    This jive was a total jive - energetic and danced very well - and they said it was too hectic?

Personally? Again, this is a personal viewpoint, but I am wondering if they are approaching this season trying to be more judgmental as opposed to the last couple of seasons with Jennifer, Nicole and Mya right at the beginning when they were almost perfect at the beginning.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

ITA Bloomers! I kept watching it and thinking that it was a jive....it had energy and the elements that is in a jive....the other ones didn't. I think the judges were just in a bad mood last night...or they are being more critical than in seasons past...and if this is the case then they need to be consistant about it with all of them.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

I hope Ralph makes it all the way to the end and Karina is becoming more likable to me.
    I never thought the day would come when I started to actually enjoy Kairina either. She seems to be happy and in a good place in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I love Ralph's charm and dancing, but I have a hard time watching him because of the obvious toupee. I find myself looking at his hairline the whole time .

Has it been confirmed he wears a toupee? Just curious.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    I never thought the day would come when I started to actually enjoy Kairina either. She seems to be happy and in a good place in her life.

Has it been confirmed he wears a toupee? Just curious.

On Ralph's twitter there's a picture of Karina grabbing a handful of his hair upward with the comment, "it's real, biatches!" I guess that answers that.

Why he sticks with that combover is anybody's guess, however. He looks so great overwise!

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
    On Ralph's twitter there's a picture of Karina grabbing a handful of his hair upward with the comment, "it's real, biatches!" I guess that answers that.

Why he sticks with that combover is anybody's guess, however. He looks so great overwise!
    Maybe he's just stuck in the past with the look? He definately needs a new 'do if that's his real hair. I am sure they will do some different styling with his hair for any costume creations and we might see one that suits him! I watched the video mentioned above at funnyordie.com and it looks like he made the transition from teen actor to adult unscathed. It can be done! It was poking fun at all the crap some celebrities put their family and agents through at various stages.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!!

+ Reply to Thread