+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralph Macchio & Karina Smirnoff - Season 12

Re: Ralph Macchio & Karina Smirnoff - Season 12

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    If you haven't seen that funnyordie.com viral video that's mentioned in the introductory post for this thread, see if you can find it. It is absolutely hysterical.

I missed the show Monday. I'm not a DWTS fan, but I would tune in just to see Ralph, and I'm thrilled to hear he did so well. He seems lilke somebody I grew up with. Loved him in the Karate Kid movies, and My Cousin Vinny is one of my favorite movies of all time.
    Ohhh....what I would give to see Joe Pesci dance!!!!

FORT Newbie

This pair is interesting. It's so rare to see Karina so happy with a celeb pro. So kinda rooting for this pair. Looking at there jive reh already on Access hollywood they look to be doing another good routine for Monday.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    He does have natural ability, the ability that obviously made him a dancer in his youth. The technique that is within him will come to his aid in the same way that it did with Nicole, Mya, and to a lesser degree Melissa even though the dance experience is not in the same field as ballroom.

Just to make a point, we see this very thing all the time on So You Think You Can Dance. Those kids excel in one area of dance, and then turn around and blow it out in a totally different area of dance (even Ballroom occasionally) simply because they have dance technique and so much natural ability.
    Ballroom dancing is COMPLETELY different from other types of dancing. Ralph may have done some musical theater, etc. in the past, but I wouldn't call him a ringer. I think that he's got natural ability, musicality and the desire to do well.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    Ballroom dancing is COMPLETELY different from other types of dancing. Ralph may have done some musical theater, etc. in the past, but I wouldn't call him a ringer. I think that he's got natural ability, musicality and the desire to do well.
    I have wanted go ask this question for a while then. If Ralph's background does not make him a "ringer" what celeb who has been a contestant on this show fits that description? Jennifer Grey who won last season?
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by gruder View Post
    Ohhh....what I would give to see Joe Pesci dance!!!!
    I wonder if he'd be shorter than Chelsie, who realistically is the only pro who could partner him (assuming she really isn't taller than him). Every Christmas the networks air the Home Alone movies, and I had wondered whatever happened to Joe. He seemed to be all over the place for awhile. I loved My Cousin Vinny. I remember the first time I saw it I couldn't believe that was Ralph.

I have wanted go ask this question for a while then. If Ralph's background does not make him a "ringer" what celeb who has been a contestant on this show fits that description? Jennifer Grey who won last season?
    I'd probably say that Mya and Nicole were about as big a ringer as one could get. Mya was a professional dancer and choreographer; so basically imagine casting Paula Abdul or Janet Jackson on the show. To me there's no difference. Even if those girls don't know one bit of ballroom, that extensive training obviously helped and showed. In the season 9 Dance Center bit, Kenny Mayne even poked fun at the Dmitry/Mya pairing by beginning to critique Dmitry as though he was the celeb, not the pro. I know it's probably next to impossible to find people in Hollywood that haven't had some form of dance training or crossed over into musical theatre. However, when you couldn't pick the celeb from the pro in a group number, are getting 10s week 2, I don't care if it's not ballroom training one has had. Obviously whatever they had showed and is helping them. If it wasn't, we'd be seeing different scores, routines, and comments from the judges.

I don't think I'd put Ralph up that high. His routine on Monday was fantastic, better than I expected. But he is a little rusty, and does need some fine tuning. I think he does have a bit of an edge now, but whose to say that'll keep up with him as the competition goes on? I also don't know if the producers would pick him as their winner. They just had the 80s nostalgia fan favorite win last season. While it'd give Karina a win, I'm not sure he's who the producers would aim for. But maybe they didn't expect him to be as much of a surprise. I may not care for Karina, but I'm glad she's so happy with him as a partner. Every interview I've read from her about them you can practically feel her glowing. I think they are a really good match. If she won, I wouldn't care as much. Doesn't hurt that I adore Ralph

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I wonder if he'd be shorter than Chelsie, who realistically is the only pro who could partner him (assuming she really isn't taller than him). Every Christmas the networks air the Home Alone movies, and I had wondered whatever happened to Joe. He seemed to be all over the place for awhile. I loved My Cousin Vinny. I remember the first time I saw it I couldn't believe that was Ralph.
    Of course, we're a little off-topic because we're talking about Joe Pesci now, but according to imdb, he's 5' 4". And I've heard that he's pretty much retired or semi-retired from acting. Since '98 he's been in 2 movies - in 2006 and 2010. He's rumored to be in a movie with DeNiro that won't be done for a few years.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    When Ralph played Finch in the touring Broadway production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Ralph listed in the Playbill as his experience all kinds of dance up to the age of 20 at the June Claire School of Dance.
    The actor is in charge of what goes into his bio in the playbill.

It is true that he is rusty and out of shape; however, he does have dance technique that will come back to him - posture, how to hold his arms, hands, extend his legs, point his toes, etc. In addition, anything that is done repetitiously for that long results in muscle memory. That too will come back after a while.

I am not saying this will be easy or will be a walk in the park, but I am saying the dance experience will definitely work to his advantage.

I thought he was the best natural I had ever seen on this show before I found out he had been a dancer!

However, I do not think he is a ringer of the caliber of Nicole or Mya who are basically professional dancers.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    It is true that he is rusty and out of shape; however, he does have dance technique that will come back to him ...I am not saying this will be easy or will be a walk in the park, but I am saying the dance experience will definitely work to his advantage.
    His thirty-years-out-of-date dance training may be to his advantage, but anyone thirty years his junior with stamina and flexibility will have that to their advantage. Pretty much a wash as far as I'm concerned.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

If Ralph's a ringer, I'll agree with jucamer: finally a ringer I like! I can't wait to see how he does the jive tomorrow.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    If Ralph's a ringer, I'll agree with jucamer: finally a ringer I like! I can't wait to see how he does the jive tomorrow.
    I most definitely don't want to give the impression I don't like or don't approve of Ralph in any way. I am looking forward to watching him dance; however, I do think it behooves us to look at the situation as it is. Now that it is out there for what it is, I hope he does well.
    I thoroughly enjoyed his last performance.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

+ Reply to Thread