+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralph Macchio & Karina Smirnoff - Season 12

FORT Fogey

Re: Ralph Macchio & Karina Smirnoff - Season 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gina28 View Post
    So that was almost 30 yrs ago? And unless he's kept up dancing in his private life, at his age (almost 50), I think it's almost like starting all over. jmo Reminds me more of Donny Osmond's experience. No ice skaters this year and we know all of them have dance experience..they have to dance the routine on the floor before it moves to ice. Krista Y. had a distinct advantage.
    Not quite, I don't think. He was quite likely very rusty, but that dance foundation was laid and is still within him, and the dance technique came back to him with time and effort. Len said, "You're rough around the edges, but you have potential," so it was spotted by the pro.

He does have natural ability, the ability that obviously made him a dancer in his youth. The technique that is within him will come to his aid in the same way that it did with Nicole, Mya, and to a lesser degree Melissa even though the dance experience is not in the same field as ballroom.

Just to make a point, we see this very thing all the time on So You Think You Can Dance. Those kids excel in one area of dance, and then turn around and blow it out in a totally different area of dance (even Ballroom occasionally) simply because they have dance technique and so much natural ability.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

My friend who watched DWTS for the first time last night thought Ralph was the pro. When I told them it was Karina they seemed shocked.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me View Post
    My friend who watched DWTS for the first time last night thought Ralph was the pro. When I told them it was Karina they seemed shocked.
    Does this mean he is our "ringer" this season???

Quote Originally Posted by gruder View Post
    Does this mean he is our "ringer" this season???
    Just because one is talented doesn't mean they are a "ringer". I think Ralph did great and I will enjoy watching him all season. We definitely have a front runner.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    Just because one is talented doesn't mean they are a "ringer". I think Ralph did great and I will enjoy watching him all season. We definitely have a front runner.
    I agree and just because someone can dance, doesn't mean it's all gravy to learn and execute the required dance moves on each specific dance to get a good score from the judge. That takes practice, dedication and hard work.

I would never paint Ralph Macchio as a ringer, even with dance training as a kid.
    Watch how he walks in "Karate Kid"....it looks as if he can barely stand up without falling over! I never would have thought he was graceful enough to pull this off and feared he'd be on the early boot list.
    But WOW!!
    He's my fave this season. I liked him even when he was on "Eight is Enough".

It is apparent Ralph Macchio has extensive dance training compared to any of the other male contestants on the show. There is no comparison in the quality of dancing Ralph shows compared to the other males. According to media reports Ralph had dance training as near back as 2007. I think this information must be taken into consideration when assessing dance abilities for the male contestants. If tptb are looking for a male winner this season, this is no doubt Ralph Macchios to win.

He seems sweet, and I thought he did a great job. I enjoyed his dance. I look forward to his next dance.

Quote Originally Posted by mize77 View Post
    And I hope somebody gives Ralph a better haircut than what he had last night.
    You mean that WASN'T a rug?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

If you haven't seen that funnyordie.com viral video that's mentioned in the introductory post for this thread, see if you can find it. It is absolutely hysterical.

I missed the show Monday. I'm not a DWTS fan, but I would tune in just to see Ralph, and I'm thrilled to hear he did so well. He seems lilke somebody I grew up with. Loved him in the Karate Kid movies, and My Cousin Vinny is one of my favorite movies of all time.
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 03-24-2011 at 11:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread