+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralph Macchio & Karina Smirnoff - Season 12

Re: Ralph Macchio & Karina Smirnoff - Season 12

Ralph did great and showed he has the potential to really thrive in this competition. Looking forward to seeing him dance again next week.

FORT Fogey

It appears that Ralph has some fairly extensive dance training in his background, perhaps. On the motherboard there is a post that proclaims that Ralph danced at the June Claire School of Dance up until the age of 20 sometimes 2 and 3 performances a night when the school was putting on shows.
    When the poster was challenged for a reference, another poster came forth with the information that fifteen years ago, Ralph toured in the National Touring company of "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," and there was an artice in the Playbill about his preparation for the role of Finch which mentioned his training at the June Claire School of Dance.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Regular

Here, here! What a remarkable performance! Like most of you, Karina is not my favorite, but she has never won and this may be her turn. I thought Ralph was better than Kirstie, and I hope the judges don't inflate her scores just to keep her on the show. And I hope somebody gives Ralph a better haircut than what he had last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    It appears that Ralph has some fairly extensive dance training in his background, perhaps. On the motherboard there is a post that proclaims that Ralph danced at the June Claire School of Dance up until the age of 20 sometimes 2 and 3 performances a night when the school was putting on shows.
    When the poster was challenged for a reference, another poster came forth with the information that fifteen years ago, Ralph toured in the National Touring company of "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," and there was an artice in the Playbill about his preparation for the role of Finch which mentioned his training at the June Claire School of Dance.
    I think information like this will come out about most of the celebs. But it would only be an issue if any of them were trained specifically in ballroom.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I think information like this will come out about most of the celebs. But it would only be an issue if any of them were trained specifically in ballroom.
    I agree and Karina has had a run of really bad partners in the last few years so if Ralph turns out to be a "ringer" I think she will get a pass, whereas if it was Cheryl, Mark or Derek they would be crucified by people angry that they again had best partner draw.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Wow! You mean my favorite is a ringer??? That's a first!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    Wow! You mean my favorite is a ringer??? That's a first!
    We usually have a ringer, but this season I thought we were actually going to get by without one. I was disappointed to read this. I was thinking, "Wow! Look at this guy dance with just a little bit of musical theatre background."
    I actually thought we might have someone along the lines of the ability of Gilles maybe who had no actual concentrated dance training.

I was willing to cut him a lot of slack for the musical theatre just like I was Donnie Osment for his dance background as an entertainer, but the bonafide and sustained dance training up until adulthood is too hard to dismiss.
    He may not have danced in a long time, but that foundation has been well laid. It is a matter of bringing all that back up to the surface and building from there.

What I will cut him a great deal of slack on is his age. Just like with Donnie, this process is very difficult on someone his age and on someone who has not danced in years.

I may be disappointed that he has all of that past dance experience, but I admit that I am still looking forward to watching him dance!
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Fogey

It appears that Ralph has some fairly extensive dance training in his background, perhaps. On the motherboard there is a post that proclaims that Ralph danced at the June Claire School of Dance up until the age of 20 sometimes 2 and 3 performances a night when the school was putting on shows.When the poster was challenged for a reference, another poster came forth with the information that fifteen years ago, Ralph toured in the National Touring company of "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," and there was an artice in the Playbill about his preparation for the role of Finch which mentioned his training at the June Claire School of Dance.
    So that was almost 30 yrs ago? And unless he's kept up dancing in his private life, at his age (almost 50), I think it's almost like starting all over. jmo Reminds me more of Donny Osmond's experience. No ice skaters this year and we know all of them have dance experience..they have to dance the routine on the floor before it moves to ice. Krista Y. had a distinct advantage.

Wow, Ralph was wonderful, what a surprise to see how well he danced!! He was by far the best last night, and he looks great too! I was never a huge fan of him or the Karate Kid movies back in the 80s but after seeing this I love him now! Can't wait to see more of him!

Finch does not do a whole lot of dancing in How to Succeed and what he does is quite simple. It's not Cats, or A Chorus Line, or Hello Dolly, or Oklahoma, or West Side Story, of Chicago, all shows that need highly trained dancers. What Finch does can be taught to anyone with musicality and a little natural grace.

I took 16 years of ballet, tap, and modern dance as a kid and it sure wouldn't qualify me to compete on DWTS. The only two I ever thought of as really being ringers were Mya and the Pussycat Doll.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread