+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Romeo & Chelsie Hightower - Season 12

Re: Romeo & Chelsie Hightower - Season 12

I liked their dance and was happy to see them improve. Romeo seems to be coming around a little bit, but I wish he'd play up the partnership more, instead of it all seemingly being about him. That's what irks me the most, I think. I'm a big fan of Chelsie's and if she hadn't been his partner I doubt I'd cheer for him as much. I tend to root for my favorite pros instead of the "stars", with the exception of Ralph. Will be interesting to see their dance next week. I hope they do good.

I don't know if it was the emotional aspect of the dance getting the best of him, but Romeo seemed sullen during and after his performance last night. He doesn't seem gracious and what I perceive as an attitude does not endear me to him or inspire me to cast even one vote for him.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by moflan View Post
    I don't know if it was the emotional aspect of the dance getting the best of him, but Romeo seemed sullen during and after his performance last night. He doesn't seem gracious and what I perceive as an attitude does not endear me to him or inspire me to cast even one vote for him.

He is very young and I suspect his success has been generated from his dad. I think we are seeing a very self concious young man who has not defined himself yet.

His accomplishments seem calculated for a future image.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Of the dances they've done so far, this week was probably my least favorite, but I typically dislike rumbas in general. Given the circumstances that the dance was a tribute to his late cousins, I felt Len could have cut the poor kid a little slack. I'm sure it was hard for most of the stars to come out after dedicating their dances to deceased family and friends or tough times in their lives. I thought he did fairly well. He's definitely got the moves to improve and I think he will. Hopefully he nails the paso this week. I'm excited to see that.

Romeo's been doing very well so far, and I'm glad Chelsie has a partner that finally has potential. I'm a little worried about his fanbase and whether he might be turning people off by not making a big impression with the judges. I don't really think he has a bad attitude; he threw his shoes but at least he apologized for it (unlike Jake, who acted like a tool, thought he was right, then apologized after that behavior landed him in the bottom 2). And Mark may want to at least pretend to crack a smile when the camera cuts up to the celebquarium after these two dance. After both their cha cha and rumba he's looked annoyed. At least he's clapping.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Of the dances they've done so far, this week was probably my least favorite, but I typically dislike rumbas in general. Given the circumstances that the dance was a tribute to his late cousins, I felt Len could have cut the poor kid a little slack. I'm sure it was hard for most of the stars to come out after dedicating their dances to deceased family and friends or tough times in their lives. I thought he did fairly well. He's definitely got the moves to improve and I think he will. Hopefully he nails the paso this week. I'm excited to see that.

Romeo's been doing very well so far, and I'm glad Chelsie has a partner that finally has potential. I'm a little worried about his fanbase and whether he might be turning people off by not making a big impression with the judges. I don't really think he has a bad attitude; he threw his shoes but at least he apologized for it (unlike Jake, who acted like a tool, thought he was right, then apologized after that behavior landed him in the bottom 2). And Mark may want to at least pretend to crack a smile when the camera cuts up to the celebquarium after these two dance. After both their cha cha and rumba he's looked annoyed. At least he's clapping.
    The stories were emotionally tugging. The sense that I got was that Len was trying, nevertheless, to stay objective enough in some cases to give some kind of critique. Unfortunately for Romeo, this critique especially in lieu of Romeo's storyline came off sounding abrupt and cold.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

What's puzzling to me about Romeo is that he has such strong detractors. Usually I "get" why people like or dislike a person (even if I disagree,) but to me he seems like a nice young man. Somehow he is rubbing many people the wrong way.
    While he's culturally different from this conservative, white-bread grandmother, he seems likeable and I applaud him for going to college, his charitable efforts and wanting to be a role model.
    Because he's really trying, I just hope he can at least outlast his dad who was a joke and didn't try at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    What's puzzling to me about Romeo is that he has such strong detractors. Usually I "get" why people like or dislike a person (even if I disagree,) but to me he seems like a nice young man. Somehow he is rubbing many people the wrong way.
    While he's culturally different from this conservative, white-bread grandmother, he seems likeable and I applaud him for going to college, his charitable efforts and wanting to be a role model.
    Because he's really trying, I just hope he can at least outlast his dad who was a joke and didn't try at all.
    I can sort of see why people may dislike him. He may be showing attitude, but I pass it off as not wanting to look girly, he wants to do well (has shown he can do well) and gets frustrated easily. Other than that, I don't really see what's not to like, and it's not like he's the first to have those issues. But Chelsie seems to be enjoying herself and has spoken very highly of their partnership. I don't look at it like Jake or Bolton where she was forcing herself to smile and pretend she cared to defend them. I think he's been thrown a bit of a raw deal by the judges on two of his dances. I do have to give him a hand that already having his feet wet in the entertainment industry, and probably having any opporunity to be set for life available, he's still going to school. That's a rarity especially when it comes to young performers (didn't Will Smith's daughter make a comment they only go to school if they have time? And she's what, 10?)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Romeo nails it this week. Chelsie's only ever done one paso on this show, but hopefully Romeo can get into the character and the choreography. I'm a little worried he's on the chopping block, and it's getting closer to him being eliminated.

I understand that Romeo has had a "moment" or two when he griped about the shoes or looking girly but that's pretty par for the course for most of these "stars" who are out of their element. Whether it's reluctance to be too romantic or embarrassment with some other aspect. It's pretty common and I don't think he's any worse than most. He also has been respectful of Chelsie and even apologized for his "shoe tantrum."
    Chelsie's acoustic paso last season (with Derek) was my all-time fave so she can sure dance one! Let's see if she can choreograph half as well.

I think Romeo suffered going early, although 2 8s for being first isn't too shabby. I was worried about him this week, but he killed that dance. I think he, Hines, and Chris were the top 3 dances of the night. CA needs to get over her stupid lifts. I don't know if she wants something to justify scoring low. I don't get it, but it's gotten old. Unlike Len, and sometimes Bruno, I don't think she takes criticism well for how she critiques and scores. Anyway, back to these two: they're so cute together! He's putting his heart and soul into this, and he gave it his all in that dance. Romeo's a performer and he's got the potential to do very well, and continue to improve. He got all my votes tonight, as I worry about his fanbase.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I think Romeo suffered going early, although 2 8s for being first isn't too shabby. I was worried about him this week, but he killed that dance. I think he, Hines, and Chris were the top 3 dances of the night. CA needs to get over her stupid lifts. I don't know if she wants something to justify scoring low. I don't get it, but it's gotten old. Unlike Len, and sometimes Bruno, I don't think she takes criticism well for how she critiques and scores. Anyway, back to these two: they're so cute together! He's putting his heart and soul into this, and he gave it his all in that dance. Romeo's a performer and he's got the potential to do very well, and continue to improve. He got all my votes tonight, as I worry about his fanbase.
    I get the impression that the judges have made the distinct effort to refrain from giving really high scores early this season in opposition to their efforts of the last few seasons; on the other hand, my sense is that the pros and contestants may not have picked up on that scoring trend. Thus, the pros and contestants seem to be disappointed when their strong efforts result in scores of 8s and a 7 or 8s and a 9 instead of 9s.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast