+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by elinda3834;4108321;
    Here's an article from the smoking gun that I saw today. Thought it was funny but that is taking it way too far.

Man Shoots TV Over Bristol Palin Dancing | The Smoking Gun
    Do not know if it is a joke or not but apparently the Palins have offered to buy the family a new tv. At least so say the rags, I say I do not believe half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Capegal;4108324;
    Folks can think what they want - and vote as they want - it is the democratic way
    shouldn't that be "republican way"
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;4108335;
    shouldn't that be "republican way"
    UUmmmmmm................ nope
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4108227;
    Honestly, I think he was so furious that he may have said that without thinking. Everything else he said was about the dancing itself. He wasn't yelling or anything, but he was clearly upset.

I forgot to mention that he also thought they should switch the voting system to the judges' rankings counting for 70% and the audience votes counting for 30%, because the judges were the experts. The way they've been judging this season, I'm beginning to have my doubts, but it would, I suppose, make it more difficult for a really committed fan base to change things.
    That would be a good idea. But then they would have to watch the "ringers," as we would all be complaining about them. If the judges' rankings were like this, we might as well take the best dancer on night #1 and give him or her the trophy! Now if they took "stars" who had similar dance experiences, that would be interesting!
    Stay tuned for "Dancing with the Dancers"!

I hate seeing the TV media making the man shooting the TV into something funny when it most definitely is not. After he shot the TV, he turned the gun on his wife, and was threatening to kill himself as well. She got away, thankfully.

Anyway, my main thought from last night was that I was surprised Kyle made it in over Brandy. I thought last week that Bristol would make it, and the (IMO) improved dancing for her this week only helped her case. The Kyle factor is what surprised me. Brandy at least had name recognition coming in, although she's been out of the spotlight for awhile. I recognized Kyle's face from "Corey In The House" when the cast was announced, but I didn't know his name before then. Last night tells me that he must have more votes than people suspect, and Brandy had quite a bit less. All she had to do was beat him by roughly 0.4386% in viewer votes, which I thought would be easy to do. Not so.

I don't think Maks shooting his mouth off last week helped them, nor did Brandy's attitude from earlier in the season. She definitely turned it (and her dancing) around, but then Maks mouthed off. Like I said last week, over on AI, usually when someone gets really mouthy at the judges, they are gone soon after that. Now, is that a matter of people voting them off because of it or the show is fudging numbers to get rid of them? In both shows' cases, I honestly don't know. I tend to share Bloomers' thinking, in that I think Jennifer was really the one who was supposed to go.

Far as Bristol goes, I do think she has improved. Should she be in the finals? No. But Kelly Osbourne, Marie Osmond, etc. etc. didn't belong there either, IMO. In terms of the controversy, I still think just because some sites are promoting voting for her does not mean that most people are voting for her for those reasons. Most of my friends are very politically active, and most of the females watch the show. I have far more liberal friends than conservative friends, but even among my conservative buddies (many of whom love Sarah Palin), not a single one of them is voting for Bristol. Most are voting for Jennifer. A couple were voting for Brandy. I was the only one for Kurt, and now Kyle. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that so many entertainment commentators on TV today are running around blaming "conservatives" or "The Tea Party" as a whole for what a segment of bloggers and blogger commenters are doing. We are not a bunch of mindless drones who do whatever a blog tells us.

I still think the show is going along with the flow until next week, and then she'll be tanked in the scores. They'll know what she needs to get in terms of Tuesday scores to be beaten, and they'll give it to her. Also still think this is all one big decoy to make it not so obvious that Jennifer in all of her obnoxious glory will be winning. The only way I see it not happening this way is if Bristol's lead is so great that they don't even bother fudging anything. I'd rather Kyle win, but if Bristol does, I will admittedly quite a bit. The show gets what they ask for. She was initially overscored in early weeks and in the bad weeks, and that led to the problems later on with scores having to be higher because of improvement. I still don't think she should've been cast at all. But, the show did it. I won't hold it against her. Honestly, I'd see her winning as a type of karmic payback for the hatchet job the judges and the show did to Evan and Anna last season in favor of the farce that was Nicole and Derek's win.

I do think Kyle could sneak up and win this, and I would love that! As others said, Lacey aside, he himself is not controversial. Worst I can say about him is he can be grating at times, but if that's the worst thing you can say about someone, that's not bad at all. Seems like a nice, funny, and good natured kid who worked hard and improved. Plus he has the Disney factor going, which I do think counts for something on this show. I don't think they would fix it in his favor though, like I am still convinced they did for Kelly Monaco in Season 1.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I still think just because some sites are promoting voting for her does not mean that most people are voting for her for those reasons. Most of my friends are very politically active, and most of the females watch the show. I have far more liberal friends than conservative friends, but even among my conservative buddies (many of whom love Sarah Palin), not a single one of them is voting for Bristol. Most are voting for Jennifer. A couple were voting for Brandy. I was the only one for Kurt, and now Kyle. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that so many entertainment commentators on TV today are running around blaming "conservatives" or "The Tea Party" as a whole for what a segment of bloggers and blogger commenters are doing. We are not a bunch of mindless drones who do whatever a blog tells us.
    Which brings us to the key question... why the heck are people voting for her then? That's where this argument falls apart. Sure, a few people like her... and a few people who don't know dancing think she's improving a lot... is that enough to keep her at the top? Of course it isn't. Like I mentioned in another thread, pretty much every website supporting Sarah and the teaparty is posting info on the front pages to vote for Bristol. And the comments to those articles indicate that supporters are voting politically, not because they have any interest in the show but because they think this somehow ticking off liberals, or justice of some kind because liberals rig everything from The Nobel Peace Prize to prestigious comedy awards. (Don't ask me, I don't get the rationale ) And I understand that a MAJORITY of conservatives are of course, intelligent, rational people and aren't doing any of this crap. It's the ones who are that are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;4108120;
    She is a 19 year old child caught up in her mothers political machine. I can seperate her easily. She is going to have to find her own way against tremendous odds. My heart goes out to her.
    I feel the same way. Nothing I have said has been against Bristol. She's not much more than a kid. But the rest of the political garbage, well, it's just beyond dumb. It's ridiculous. Silly. Assinine. Oh, I'll never be able to express how really ridiculous it has become. I actually feel cheapened just by reading and repeating some of the stuff they've said.

I'm going to vote for who I think is best next week. I can almost guarantee you it won't be Bristol. (That would take a miracle transformation in one week.) It's slim pickings that it will be Jenn. Her dancing might be technically good, but I don't enjoy watching her performances. If Kyle can get down like Ellen like he's doing, he'll probably get my votes. Because PERFECT technique aside, you gotta bring it.
    Kyle brings it.
    We'll see...
    Last edited by spockwhat; 11-18-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4108388;
    Which brings us to the key question... why the heck are people voting for her then? That's where this argument falls apart. Sure, a few people like her... and a few people who don't know dancing think she's improving a lot... is that enough to keep her at the top? Of course it isn't. Like I mentioned in another thread, pretty much every website supporting Sarah and the teaparty is posting info on the front pages to vote for Bristol. And the comments to those articles indicate that supporters are voting politically, not because they have any interest in the show but because they think this somehow ticking off liberals, or justice of some kind because liberals rig everything from The Nobel Peace Prize to prestigious comedy awards. (Don't ask me, I don't get the rationale ) And I understand that a MAJORITY of conservatives are of course, intelligent, rational people and aren't doing any of this crap. It's the ones who are that are the problem.
    I had a nice, long post written out to explain my thought process, and then my computer crashed. Perhaps that is a sign. I can only speak for myself, but the only site I've seen being discussed that I've ever heard of is HillBuzz. I've never heard of any of the rest of these places. The sites I visit mentioned it when she was cast and first danced, basically as news items and discussion pieces for viewers who were watching. It was brought up again today with the controversy, but as basically comedy/reaction pieces to the hoopla. They never once, that I saw, encouraged people to vote. Ace of Spades is one of the larger sites I'm talking about. I just can't imagine a statistically significant number of people voting tons of times just because websites told them to do it, and that being the main reason why she's getting the votes needed to stay.

Really appreciate your comment that you know it's not the majority of people in those movements and groups voting politically and/or not even watching and still voting. Some on TV don't get that, or they do and just don't want to admit it.

Anyhow, the Cliff Notes version of my thinking as to why it's not mostly political is this:

*I think young girls, including tweens and teens, are voting early and often for Bristol. They certainly have determined the outcome on AI the last few seasons. I almost fell out of my chair when Lee DeWyze beat out Crystal Bowersox in May. Add in online voting (a component not available for AI), and look out. The youngn's know how to power vote.

*I don't think you can discount Mark's popularity as a pro. Again in this case, a lot of his fans are young girls. I don't think he's as popular as he once was, but I do think he's right up there in the top 3, along with Derek and Cheryl.

*The power of the Worsters can't be discounted either. On AI, Sanjaya ( ) and, most recently, Tim both come to mind. Both of whom, incidentally, had large tween and teen followings as well.

*I do think there are people who see her as genuinely the underdog because she does not have an entertainment background. Kyle at least had his own TV show, and a role on a hit show before that.

*Also think there are people who see her as the underdog because the show's edit tells them so. The edit is another thing that can't be underestimated. It is a powerful psychological tool used to lead audiences in the direction the show wants to go. Viewers without more detailed knowledge of how the show works can be swayed by it because they aren't even aware that they're being led down a path. They think they're deciding on their own.

*Similarly, the judges' scoring tells a story to the public as well. Like I said earlier, Bruno, for all his complaining, gave Bristol 18 total points Monday and Brandy 19 total points. Ditto for Len. Carrie Ann was a 17-19 split. When they keep it that close, those who are swayed by the judges see that, hey, she's right up there with the more professional dancers. Just like on Idol, some people can sound like a cat with its tail caught in the door, but if the judges praise them, they stick around most of the time longer than they should.

*Also don't think you can discount the people who only really know Bristol as the girl who ended up dealing with the shenanigans of the slimebag known as Levi. Some votes are just for that mess alone, just like others have gotten sympathy votes for whatever reason. I finally found out a couple totally non-political colleagues of mine are voting for her, just because they felt bad for what she's been through with Levi. Do I agree with that approach, no, but people can vote however they want. They do watch the show, FWIW.

*Lastly, as the season goes on, I think some of it has become strategic. Since so many people think Bristol has a huge fanbase, I think some of the people who can't stand Jennifer and didn't like Brandy are jumping to her to try and knock them out (particularly Jennifer). If I was voting on pure strategy, if she's close enough to Jennifer Monday night, I would vote for her just to make Jennifer lose. I don't vote on strategy, but it is tempting. I am truly that sick of the bias shown towards Derek, and of the fact that 3 seasons in a row now they have tried to push someone down our throats (Mya, Nicole, and now Jennifer).
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 11-18-2010 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith2;4108208;
    Sorry to offend anyone (and I am neither a Bristol nor an overall Pallin fan)...but...Brandy was the one to me who came across poorly during the show and frankly, I didn't care for her, although she was a better dancer.
    Her first response to Tom's question after she was eliminated, to me, says it all. "I need to process this..."
    Although possibly honest...really? You didn't think (based on what had happened in past weeks) that this would happen?
    What about taking the high road? What about being grateful for this opportunity? What about thanking the fans and other folks who had supported her in the past weeks?
    To me this just proves that she is just a self-serving, winey little girl who didn't realize the opportunity she was given to resurrect her career versus complain and be a diva.

Brandy was in shock. She was devastated and numb. She didn't think about this happening in previous weeks, not because of arrogance or anything, but for 2 reasons. First, she thought in a dancing competition that actually being able to dance well and improving, while not the only factor , would be the major factor on who got into the finals. Second, and most importantly, she never let herself thing long about the possibility of getting cut each week because she so badly wanted to stay. She tried to stay positive and in the moment, like Maks taught her, and not let her fears and nerves get to her each week. This competition actually meant alot for her and wasn't just something to do or get paid for. After she was eliminated she was emotional, teary, and was just trying to get through the moment without falling out because of how much it meant to her. She'd thanked her fans, family, Maks, and everyone very heartfeltly in her post-show interviews and on Twitter Monday night. She repeated those sentiments Tuesday in her post-show interviews while trying to keep her emotions in check. She has repeatedly mentioned and thanked Maks in copious heartfelt words for what he has brought to her life and the experience of doing the show. She thanked everyone from fans to DWTS makeup people. Seems like the girl can't be given a break to be devastated over something that meant so much to her, while still being grateful for the experience she got along the way. SHe 's also been supportive and vested in all the celeb contestants and supportive of them when they've been cut. Sometimes more upset for them that they got cut than excited that she stayed, like with Florence. She's been more than gracious. Brandy's personality may not be everyone's cup of tea just like Bristol the Pistol's is not. However, people should cut Brandy a break and realize how they would react if they'd been through the bad things that happened to her, really wanted something that meant something to them, and all of a sudden devastatingly lost it. You'd want a moment to process the shock and devastation, which was all she basically had. Especially, when your trying to do it in the couple minutes that what you've lost is being rubbed in your face with a package showing the experience, all the while trying to maintain some composure. Tom, as he mentioned in his interview, and everyone in that studio knew how much this meant to Brandy and how she wanted it more than anyone. Frankly she held together better than most expected her too.

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith2;4108208;
    Sorry to offend anyone (and I am neither a Bristol nor an overall Pallin fan)...but...Brandy was the one to me who came across poorly during the show and frankly, I didn't care for her, although she was a better dancer.
    Her first response to Tom's question after she was eliminated, to me, says it all. "I need to process this..."
    Although possibly honest...really? You didn't think (based on what had happened in past weeks) that this would happen?
    What about taking the high road? What about being grateful for this opportunity? What about thanking the fans and other folks who had supported her in the past weeks?
    To me this just proves that she is just a self-serving, winey little girl who didn't realize the opportunity she was given to resurrect her career versus complain and be a diva.
    She was in shock, as was everyone else in the studio (including Tom) and most of sane America, because none of them thought it was possible that viewers would continue keeping Bristol over better dancers this late in the season.

After those two minutes of honest shock, Brandy has since been nothing but gracious and humble in every interview she has done, no matter what Maks was saying right next to her, and even when interviewers have tried to get a controversial answer out of her. She has been anything but a diva.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26;4108453;
    Brandy was in shock. She was devastated and numb. She didn't think about this happening in previous weeks, not because of arrogance or anything, but for 2 reasons. First, she thought in a dancing competition that actually being able to dance well and improving, while not the only factor , would be the major factor on who got into the finals. Second, and most importantly, she never let herself thing long about the possibility of getting cut each week because she so badly wanted to stay. She tried to stay positive and in the moment, like Maks taught her, and not let her fears and nerves get to her each week. This competition actually meant alot for her and wasn't just something to do or get paid for. After she was eliminated she was emotional, teary, and was just trying to get through the moment without falling out because of how much it meant to her. She'd thanked her fans, family, Maks, and everyone very heartfeltly in her post-show interviews and on Twitter Monday night. She repeated those sentiments Tuesday in her post-show interviews while trying to keep her emotions in check. She has repeatedly mentioned and thanked Maks in copious heartfelt words for what he has brought to her life and the experience of doing the show. She thanked everyone from fans to DWTS makeup people. Seems like the girl can't be given a break to be devastated over something that meant so much to her, while still being grateful for the experience she got along the way. SHe 's also been supportive and vested in all the celeb contestants and supportive of them when they've been cut. Sometimes more upset for them that they got cut than excited that she stayed, like with Florence. She's been more than gracious. Brandy's personality may not be everyone's cup of tea just like Bristol the Pistol's is not. However, people should cut Brandy a break and realize how they would react if they'd been through the bad things that happened to her, really wanted something that meant something to them, and all of a sudden devastatingly lost it. You'd want a moment to process the shock and devastation, which was all she basically had. Especially, when your trying to do it in the couple minutes that what you've lost is being rubbed in your face with a package showing the experience, all the while trying to maintain some composure. Tom, as he mentioned in his interview, and everyone in that studio knew how much this meant to Brandy and how she wanted it more than anyone. Frankly she held together better than most expected her too.

I agree, and why wouldn't she be in shock... everyone else was!! Brandy is not my favorite contestant (Jennifer is) but Bristol still being there just doesn't seem right... and I'm sure nobody is more aware of that than the more deserving contestants that got the boot before her. I dont' think Brandy was ever going to win this, but I'll cut the girl some slack for her initial disbelief. I think the political aspect of the whole season just isn't sitting well with many of the stars, the pros and a lot of fans.
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

+ Reply to Thread