+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by princessKIM;4108098;
    I know I'll get in trouble for this but I'm kinda hoping Bristol wins just to watch DWTS fans lose their ever-lovin' minds.
    I think she will win now. It will be sad for the better dancers and performers left but show is to blame if it happens. If she had received appropriate scores and commentary since the start it wouldn't have gotten this far. Show however might not even care as long as they ride Bristol to the end. Whether it hurts the show in the long run won't be known until next season.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by klmom3;4107949;
    Not that I think she should win, but if you look at the first week, she has definitely improved. Also you have to remember that the other contestants also come from an entertaining or acting background so of course they would be more animated and be able to show emotions more and connect with the audience more. I think one the the biggest improvements they could make in the show would be not to bring ringers in like Jennifer Gray or the Pussycat doll that won last year. I would rather see a non dancer that has made progress during the season win over a ringer. Kurt was my pick. I would have loved to see him win.
    If you're talking about the final four, yes, the rest of them come from an entertainment/acting background, but there are plenty of athletes who have done well, and not just because of their fan base, for whom presenting the sort of entertainment necessary in ballroom would be well outside their experience. It didn't matter if Emmitt or Warren had "personality" when they were playing football, and ballroom dancing was very different from what they did normally in front of an audience. Ditto Helio and Apollo. For that matter, you could argue that Bristol, if she's embarking on a career as a public speaker, surely needs to be interesting, if not entertaining, in front of a audience. Besides which, she knew going in--if she'd seen the show at all--that she would likely be competing against people who were actors and/or singers. There are some people like that every season. I don't cut Jennifer any slack when she complains about being fifty or having had injuries that prevent her from doing what she wants. I don't cut Bristol any slack for not having any dancing experience or not being as good at showing an entertaining personality on the dance floor (especially not after her snippy comment about not being fake or Hollywood but "real"--seriously, most "real" teenage single moms do not have the opportunities or help she does). They knew what they were getting into and they chose to participate. Yes, she's improved. But not enough to still be there. It's quite possible someone like Audrina could have improved by now too, and she started out better but was not coddled by the judges to the extent that Bristol has been. For my money, Bristol should have been eliminated the week that Florence was. Florence's dance to the Brady Bunch theme song wasn't especially well choreographed (not her fault), but she knew the dance. Any mistakes she made were not nearly as obvious as the difficulties Bristol had in that godawful Monkees jive, where it was very obvious that she did not know the steps at times and could not even get out of the gorilla suit without fumbling about. If they need an "ordinary" person for the audience to cheer for, then I suggest they hold one spot open for a non-dancer average viewer. Let people enter a contestant to fill that one spot. And give that person to Derek or Cheryl (depending on gender--and please let them choose a woman and give her to Derek) as they are the ones who've won most often of their respective genders. Let them prove they're superior teachers/choreographers when they don't have someone with a massive fanbase or someone who's particularly pretty or someone who already has a dance background as a partner. It's far more likely that "ordinary" person would have to win votes by actually improving at a comparable level to some of the rest of the contestants in order to stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;4108110;
    Naturally the contestants arent' really "stars" ... real stars wouldn't have the time to do the show, nor have the interest to do so, but they (actual contestants) are famous in thier own right. This is all about American politics, Bristol is being used by her mother and Republicans for the next presidential election... just like the Palin reality show is.... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out... even moi, a Canadian viewer, figured this out months ago
    If you said, used by ABC to bring in the ratings, I would agree ...

ABC, a politically conservative network? Nah ... lol

Thing is, IMO, Bristol became famous for being the pregnant teenage daughter of a VP candidate. Had she not been pregnant (and, perhaps, had her ex not been such a publicity hound), do you really think ABC would have had her on the show? I don't ...

What about the Reality TV stars that are only famous for being on a Reality TV show, and otherwise, nuttin'. For example, before DWTS, Melissa Rycroft's only claim to fame was being the girl that The Bachelor picked as his Final One and later dumped on national TV.

Say what you want about reality stars but I bet either Ali or Roberto (from this past season of Bachelorette) would have been far more entertaining and much better dancers than Bristol. They both had good personalities and natural grace. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Capegal;4107968;
    He has no DRAMA in his life LOL
    Remember Len saying (I'm going to paraphrase) what he likes about Kyle is there is no backstage shenanigans; he just gets right down to business and does his job. What's not to love about that? And still he has that charisma!
    Stay tuned for "Dancing with the Dancers"!

I'll vote for Kyle. Maks made a good point in regards to pulling for him. He did come in virtually unknown amongst adults and with a small fanbase. He's gotten in better shape, works hard, improved his dance, performs well, and he is entertaining.

FORT Fogey

I just saw Gilles on E! News. He was livid about Brandy being eliminated in favor of Bristol. He started out by saying it proved the power of the Republican party (actually, though I'm not a Republican, in their defense, I'd say it's probably only a particular faction of the Republican party, as I would imagine most Republicans are too busy to spend all that much time voting for Bristol--and some of them probably aren't even all that wild about the party being associated with the Palins). Then he said she was not the best dancer, far from it. Nor was she the best entertainer, far from it. He added that the best dancer and entertainer left in the competition was Jennifer Grey, who was a "sweetheart." He also said that if Bristol wins, the show becomes nothing more than a popularity contest, and while that's always been a part of it, if she wins, the dancing essentially counts for nothing.

He said all this in a reasonable tone of voice, but he was clearly angry. He must have been there last night too, as he appeared to be backstage. Too bad he wasn't the guest judge for Bristol's dance. He likely would have given her an honest score instead of coddling her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal;4108147;
    Say what you want about reality stars but I bet either Ali or Roberto (from this past season of Bachelorette) would have been far more entertaining and much better dancers than Bristol. They both had good personalities and natural grace. Sigh.
    I think an awful lot of people, reality stars or not, would fall into the category of being far more entertaining than Bristol. Even Khate, as awful as she was, was a more interesting train wreck than Bristol is. In fact, a lot of bad dancers have been more entertaining than she is. Heck, I'd rather watch the Woz do the worm again than watch Bristol try and claim that she has any business in the finale because she works hard and has improved. So has everyone else in the finale. I really think Kyle has made much larger strides in improvement than Bristol.

FORT Fogey

This just occurred to me. What on earth is Bristol going to come up with for a freestyle?

If they really want to keep her from winning, they should tell them they have to do a freestyle based on a previous freestyle--and give her that dreadful doll freestyle of Marie Osmond's. As it is, Marie may have to pass on the crown for worst freestyle ever to Bristol, because I just can't see her, with her limited skills, coming up with something that's going to be any good, unless Mark does all the work and she just basically stands there. Oh, and shimmies every once in a while.

FORT Newbie

Sorry to offend anyone (and I am neither a Bristol nor an overall Pallin fan)...but...Brandy was the one to me who came across poorly during the show and frankly, I didn't care for her, although she was a better dancer.
    Her first response to Tom's question after she was eliminated, to me, says it all. "I need to process this..."
    Although possibly honest...really? You didn't think (based on what had happened in past weeks) that this would happen?
    What about taking the high road? What about being grateful for this opportunity? What about thanking the fans and other folks who had supported her in the past weeks?
    To me this just proves that she is just a self-serving, winey little girl who didn't realize the opportunity she was given to resurrect her career versus complain and be a diva.

+ Reply to Thread