+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 11/15 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie

Re: 11/15 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I truly enjoyed Bristol and Kyle's dancing.

It was a delight to see a young girl who is not a "star" dance in the public's eye with seasoned pros.

I view the show as Dancing WITH the Stars, not Dancing AS a Star.

Kyle and Bristol did great, IMO. Jennifer and Brandy danced like "movie stars" to put it in the words of a young girl watching with me.

I guess it depends on what you as a viewer desire from the show. I enjoy seeing non-pros advance (if they improve...) and the seasoned performers voted off because well, I can see them anytime at the movies, concert or tv, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;4106585;
    I think Kyle dances circles around all of them. I think he brings a passion and an exuberance that the show needs more of. Jennifer places her body just fine, but she is so whiny and obnoxious and full of down that I just do not enjoy her. Brandy is meh to me. She dances ok, but nothing that makes me tune in.

For me Kyle is the best. He is the Emmitt, the Drew, the Helio. People like Jennifer winning are no shock. Who would have thought Derek would get a good dancer? Who would have thought a star from a dancing movie would be good? I like the ones that come out of nowhere and make me smile.

I tried to watch the show last night as I was flipping during commercial times, but every.single.time I flipped it was all about Jennifer, her injury, her father, her career, Matthew Broderick etc..... unfortunately the only dance I saw was Kyle's second dance, but truly loved it. He has a charisma that is unmatched by anyone left.

My prediction is that Brandy or Kyle go tonight and Bristol and Jennifer are F2 - who wins, IDK nor do I care.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

mkp
    FORT Newbie

I think Kyle dances circles around all of them. I think he brings a passion and an exuberance that the show needs more of. Jennifer places her body just fine, but she is so whiny and obnoxious and full of down that I just do not enjoy her. Brandy is meh to me. She dances ok, but nothing that makes me tune in.

For me Kyle is the best. He is the Emmitt, the Drew, the Helio. People like Jennifer winning are no shock. Who would have thought Derek would get a good dancer? Who would have thought a star from a dancing movie would be good? I like the ones that come out of nowhere and make me smile.
    I truly enjoyed Bristol and Kyle's dancing.

It was a delight to see a young girl who is not a "star" dance in the public's eye with seasoned pros.

I view the show as Dancing WITH the Stars, not Dancing AS a Star.

Kyle and Bristol did great, IMO. Jennifer and Brandy danced like "movie stars" to put it in the words of a young girl watching with me.

I guess it depends on what you as a viewer desire from the show. I enjoy seeing non-pros advance (if they improve...) and the seasoned performers voted off because well, I can see them anytime at the movies, concert or tv, right?
    I think these posts are good examples of why people vote the way they do on this show, and why sometimes those contestants who are NOT good dancers win. Jennifer and Brandy dancing like "movie stars"? Brandy is "meh"? These women are such beautiful dancers and such a joy to watch, and perciesly because of that they are going to lose.

People like the underdog, the person who is most like them (which probably explains why Bush won the presidency twice). Emmet, Drew and Helio were not good dancers. But they won because people liked them.

The reason Bristol is still in this is because she is a lousy dancer and someone who has no experience.

Now, I actually happen to LIKE Kyle, and I would have no problem if he wins this thing. I think the only person who can defeat Bristol is Kyle.

FORT Fogey

Yes, yes, and yes!

When the cast list first came out, I assumed Brandy would be the ringer because of her musical background. But then the pro assignments came out and Jennifer was paired with Derek, and I knew she would be the winner, with some dance background and Derek as her partner. Brandy can dance, but lacks the personality to draw me in as a fan. Jennifer did a dance movie 20 years ago, but Patrick Swayze was the star of that show. Jennifer was just background. Bristol is a nice young woman with mediocre dance skills that has overstayed her welcome, to the point of absurdity.

Kyle is the one that embodies the essence of this show, for me. I had no clue who he was going in. He wasn't very good at the beginning, but showed promise. He took this challenge seriously, worked his tail off, became a very good dancer, and he's wildly entertaining. I think it would be a mistake for Kyle to not make the finals. Here's hoping ...
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx;4106755;
    Yes, yes, and yes!

When the cast list first came out, I assumed Brandy would be the ringer because of her musical background. But then the pro assignments came out and Jennifer was paired with Derek, and I knew she would be the winner, with some dance background and Derek as her partner. Brandy can dance, but lacks the personality to draw me in as a fan. Jennifer did a dance movie 20 years ago, but Patrick Swayze was the star of that show. Jennifer was just background. Bristol is a nice young woman with mediocre dance skills that has overstayed her welcome, to the point of absurdity.

Kyle is the one that embodies the essence of this show, for me. I had no clue who he was going in. He wasn't very good at the beginning, but showed promise. He took this challenge seriously, worked his tail off, became a very good dancer, and he's wildly entertaining. I think it would be a mistake for Kyle to not make the finals. Here's hoping ...
    me too - Jennifer was hardly a ringer from doing DD with the much trained dancer Patrick Swayze. Colour me surpised at what a wonderful dancer she is.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Some thoughts on last night's show, the season and actually, the show itself... so bear with me.

The judges:
    Carrie Ann: Why is this woman always writing furiously while the others give their comments just to spout some tired cliche like "you're like a baby bird that grew wings and flew!"??? Seriously, what's all that writing about? Shut up, CA, you idiot, shut up.

Len: I think he's the "mouth of the Show"... that's kind of like the "mouth of Sauron". He just says what the show asks of him and directs things in whatever direction they ask.

Bruno: is a freakshow. But I like him. Even if he just follows along with Len most of time.

The dancers and partners:

Kyle and Lacey: They were really well matched. They're likeable because they don't carry any anger around and there is nothing primadonna about them. And they don't take things too seriously. He has the best musicality of any of the dancers left... sometimes I find his arms a bit messy, but he has tremendous energy... and it's such positive energy, that it's hard not to get caught up in it. Last evening, he had some kicking action that was so sharp and strong... I loved it. He's a great performer.

Bristol and Mark: She did well... for Bristol. But that dead face... the lack of energy and sharpness to her movements, well, it's boring. She is still going through the motions without any strong expression. They were WAY overscored. I suppose the judges and show are trying to find a justification for why she is still there, and if they try to convince us she's good enough, we'll believe it. Otherwise, they have to be embarassed about it, and they'd rather try to convince us she should be there than be embarassed.

Brandy and Maks: I felt their second number was one of the best choreographed and performed of the night. I was happy to see it get three tens. Maks is interesting that way, either he is really brilliant, or he misses the mark. Either way, I love the risks he makes and I think he and Brandy are a decently matched pair.

Jenougher: A few people upthread mentioned that they think Derek is the best choreographer of the bunch. I respectfully disagree for a number of reasons:

First: You are able to choreograph more difficult numbers if you have partners that are capable of more difficult numbers. Derek gets those, over and over again. That doesn't make him a better choreographer, that just makes him lucky, or chosen, or something.

Second: The second number he choreographed, the waltz, was rather simplistic. Sure, it was pretty as heck, but no wonder, he is dancing with a perfectly matched partner who has natural grace and flexibility. That kind of bugs me right there. Derek and Jennifer are PERFECTLY matched. Height, weight, body line, etc... all of it adds up to a couple that are going to look fabulous together. And this is the thing, people have often complained about Derek not getting any clunkers, but he also doesn't get unattractive people either! Looking great adds a lot to the dance, whether anyone would readily admit it or not...
    Going back to that choreography of the waltz, if Derek HAD been with a clunker or even mediocre dancer like Bristol, I doubt people would be raving about him... cause that dance just wouldn't have looked as good.

Third: putting Derek up on this pedestal is unfair to the other pros, especially ones like Maks (who can, as I said, be brilliant at times) and Anna, who I believe to be one of the best. And Louis for that matter. Etc.

I finally figured out what it is about Jennifer that bothers me. I always thought she was a good actress in the past, and didn't think I would grow to really be annoyed by her in this show. But last night, I figured it out... she is just such a coddled princess! She's babied by the judges, by Derek, by her friends, by everyone and it's irritating! She's a fifty year old mother, for pete's sake, but there is nothing independant, strong, motherly or fifty about her. Someone mentioned that she looks 25 and that is why everyone is hard on her. Because of her looks, we forget that she is fifty. But I contend that it's not that she LOOKS 25, it's that she ACTS like she's 25... that's why it's easy to forget. Really, she and Bristol give off the same youthful, naive, aura... except Jennifer is FIFTY. And Bristol doesn't act like a star.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 11-16-2010 at 01:22 PM.

mkp
    FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4106789;
    Some thoughts on last night's show, the season and actually, the show itself... so bear with me.

The judges:
    Carrie Ann: Why is this woman always writing furiously while the others give their comments just to spout some tired cliche like "you're like a baby bird that grew wings and flew!"??? Seriously, what's all that writing about? Shut up, CA, you idiot, shut up.

Len: I think he's the "mouth of the Show"... that's kind of like the "mouth of Sauron". He just says what the show asks of him and directs things in whatever direction they ask.

Bruno: is a freakshow. But I like him. Even if he just follows along with Len most of time.

The dancers and partners:

Kyle and Lacey: They were really well matched. They're likeable because they don't carry any anger around and there is nothing primadonna about them. And they don't take things too seriously. He has the best musicality of any of the dancers left... sometimes I find his arms a bit messy, but he has tremendous energy... and it's such positive energy, that it's hard not to get caught up in it. Last evening, he had some kicking action that was so sharp and strong... I loved it. He's a great performer.

Bristol and Mark: She did well... for Bristol. But that dead face... the lack of energy and sharpness to her movements, well, it's boring. She is still going through the motions without any strong expression. They were WAY overscored. I suppose the judges and show are trying to find a justification for why she is still there, and if they try to convince us she's good enough, we'll believe it. Otherwise, they have to be embarassed about it, and they'd rather try to convince us she should be there than be embarassed.

Brandy and Maks: I felt their second number was one of the best choreographed and performed of the night. I was happy to see it get three tens. Maks is interesting that way, either he is really brilliant, or he misses the mark. Either way, I love the risks he makes and I think he and Brandy are a decently matched pair.

Jenougher: A few people upthread mentioned that they think Derek is the best choreographer of the bunch. I respectfully disagree for a number of reasons:

First: You are able to choreograph more difficult numbers if you have partners that are capable of more difficult numbers. Derek gets those, over and over again. That doesn't make him a better choreographer, that just makes him lucky, or chosen, or something.

Second: The second number he choreographed, the waltz, was rather simplistic. Sure, it was pretty as heck, but no wonder, he is dancing with a perfectly matched partner who has natural grace and flexibility. That kind of bugs me right there. Derek and Jennifer are PERFECTLY matched. Height, weight, body line, etc... all of it adds up to a couple that are going to look fabulous together. And this is the thing, people have often complained about Derek not getting any clunkers, but he also doesn't get unattractive people either! Looking great adds a lot to the dance, whether anyone would readily admit it or not...
    Going back to that choreography of the waltz, if Derek HAD been with a clunker or even mediocre dancer like Bristol, I doubt people would be raving about him... cause that dance just wouldn't have looked as good.

Third: putting Derek up on this pedestal is unfair to the other pros, especially ones like Maks (who can, as I said, be brilliant at times) and Anna, who I believe to be one of the best. And Louis for that matter. Etc.

I finally figured out what it is about Jennifer that bothers me. I always thought she was a good actress in the past, and didn't think I would grow to really be annoyed by her in this show. But last night, I figured it out... she is just such a coddled princess! She's babied by the judges, by Derek, by her friends, by everyone and it's irritating! She's a fifty year old mother, for pete's sake, but there is nothing independant, strong, motherly or fifty about her. Someone mentioned that she looks 25 and that is why everyone is hard on her. Because of her looks, we forget that she is fifty. But I contend that it's not that she LOOKS 25, it's that she ACTS like she's 25... that's why it's easy to forget. Really, she and Bristol give off the same youthful, naive, aura... except Jennifer is FIFTY. And Bristol doesn't act like a star.
    Very good observations! I happen to think Maks is the best choreographer actually. I find it interesting that some pros, like Derek, always get great partners, while most get a mix each season (some good, some bad) and a few others always get lame partners (think Corky or Ashley). I do, however, think the producers match up the pros with the celebs pretty well. It could be just the luck of the draw, depending on who the pros and celebs are in a given season, but who knows/
    Last edited by mkp; 11-16-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Maks is interesting that way, either he is really brilliant, or he misses the mark. Either way, I love the risks he makes and I think he and Brandy are a decently matched pair.

Second: The second number he choreographed, the waltz, was rather simplistic.

Thank you. I love the way you explain Maks' choreography!

Len did hit the nail on the head regarding Derek's waltz: it was a whisper. I did think it was beautiful, but not better than Anna's waltzes or Maks'. I can't deny Derek his natural born gift; he is outstanding. I can, however, find fault with the blatant favoritism and showcasing of Derek over the other pros, namely the ones you mentioned, Anna, Maks, and Louis. Anna's routines are PHENOMENAL, and if Maks doesn't return next season, then I'll cross my fingers for her.

P.S. I also think that we'll know who is getting booted tonight by the encore dance and the pros' faces. Tony made a comment that he knew when it was down to the B2 that they were going home because of the camera that was on him. I also think that, each week, the pro going home just looks like they know early in the broadcast, and even sometimes, the star does.
    Last edited by veg_out; 11-16-2010 at 03:38 PM.

FORT Fanatic

I was a little curious about the onlline voting, too. I seemed to have a problem getting on the site and when I
    did I got the same problem about having 5 votes but then I was not able to vote easily. I was not voting for
    Brandy or Bristol, by the way, but still experienced the same problems. Obviously, it didn't have anything to
    do with 'who' one was voting for.

I also had problems with the phone voting. I made absolute sure that I was dialing the correct number, only
    to hear some weird sounding message. Once or twice, I was told that my "call did not go through", which I
    totally understand, but the other message I kept getting made no sense. Weird all the way around.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

And I always get a laugh out of that line that you highlight. But what you said about Derek is why I can't get into the 'genius' of his choreography like everyone else. Yeah, he's fantastic, and he's produced some of my favorite routines. But so would any of the pros on here if they got professionals like Nicole and naturals like Jennifer. If anything, I think Louis trumps all of them when it comes to choreography, and he's definitely had some duds to work with that he really turned around (give or take a couple that were hopeless causes with anyone). Derek didn't turn Jennifer into a natural, just like Maks didn't turn Mel B into the dancer he needed to just fine tune into a lady, or Mark turn Kristi into a ringer. They all come in like that. Derek just got lucky, again, and it doesn't help that he's extremely popular that even a Cloris case would probably have fans voting in the masses for him, and that the judges seem to already have their minds made up before they dance. To me, if Derek wasn't back next season, I would probably enjoy it much more than I have in a long time. It disappointed me that Len of all people made the comment about hoping Nicole would win next season while Evan was backstage waiting to dance. I wonder if we'll get any remarks next week It's the same story every season. He had a few weeks off from the top spot, but has typically been second, or at best shared it with Brandy. And it doesn't help the tacky way he and Mark celebrate every time one of them wins. It's not the Superbowl, it's a mirrorball trophy that he practically gets handed that he already has 2 of.

+ Reply to Thread