+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 11/8 DWTS 11 Recap: Instant Dance or Instant Disaster?

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

11/8 DWTS 11 Recap: Instant Dance or Instant Disaster?

It has been eight weeks since the show began this season, and it is taking a toll – on the *Stars*, the Pros and us. From fatigue to homesickness to over-strained injuries, almost everyone has been brought to their knees. But by show time, the *Stars* have found their feet, pumped up the adrenalin, arched their backs and flexed their legs in order to give us a sparkling night with yet another gimmick thrown at them and us.

The BBC clouds part to what the producers think is controversy and seem to want to hit us over the head with it. Our host, Tom, intones dramatically as we see the scene of the Rick Fox elimination last week. He solemnly tells us that two leaders (Audrina Patridge and Rick Fox) have fallen while Bristol Palin remains bullet proof. A new scene flashes before us. Bristol shoots finger pistols at the camera with clever red sparks added in by the technicians. Ooooh, I’m scared. Not.

Once Bristol puts her pistols away, Tom and Brooke welcome us to another performance night of Dancing With the *Stars*. They explain the logistics of the night where the couples will dance two full dances – one a classic ballroom round and FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER! an instant dance round. Still in drama mode, Tom wonders, “Will the ballroom face a dance disaster?”

Tom: Tonight these five couples take on a brand new challenge performing a new routine just minutes after receiving their song LIVE on the air. We have no idea how it’s going to work, if it’s going to work or if you’ll ever see anything like it again.

Len: What I like about the Insta-dance is that it is like a normal ballroom competition.

Carrie Ann: Our *Stars* know their style of dance, but will be given their music during the show.

Bruno: They’ll have less than an hour between receiving the music and performing it live.

The *Stars* will pull an envelope out of a mirror ball bowl immediately after they receive the scores for their first dance. The music CD is then revealed and they have to scramble for costume changes and meshing their already rehearsed routines to the beats of the music CD. They each have a curtained off space backstage for their rehearsal and during the show, Brooke makes visits and interrupts to ask how they are doing.

After all the introductions and explanations of how the night will proceed, we finally get to the actual dancing. I am combining each couples dances, though their first and second routines are separated and they danced the Insta-dance in the same order they danced their first dance.

Kyle Massey and Lacey Schwimmer (Schmurgles) Dance 1: the Viennese Waltz to “Breathe 2AM” by Anna Nalick

Kyle: This week I’ve got to prove that I can compete with these front runners.
    Lacey: This week we have the Viennese Waltz. It’s like a waltz, but fast.
    Kyle: It’s Viennese.
    During a scene of Lacey yelling at him, he comments that he finds it hilarious when she screams and yells.
    Lacey: This week I’m being a little tougher on Kyle just to make him a better dancer.

Tom: (to Kyle) I remember seven weeks ago when you were just a kid. Nice job.

Carrie Ann: (squee) My crush on Kyle is back. The elegance was amazing. It was like watching a fairy tale come to life.

Len: Kyle doing the Viennese Waltz – uh – head to the left, posture better, a long wide frame. Last week I saw a little bud, this week a gorgeous orchid.

Bruno: We are totally charmed by you. You’ve become this kind of sophisticated young man. I have to point out that every time we gave you a suggestion, you worked at it and you came back better. This is the way to win this competition.

Scores Dance 1: CA 9 Len 9 Bruno 9 for a total of 27

Kyle Massey and Lacey Schwimmer (Schmurgles) Dance 2: the Jive to “Good Golly Miss Molly” by Little Richard

Kyle: I think the Insta-dance is scary, but at the same time it’s fair.

Lacey’s partner from season 8, Jackass star Steve-O, joins their rehearsal to try to distract Kyle where the goal is to keep focused. He plays pranks with an air horn, a basketball, blowing bubbles and nudity. Kyle holds up fairly well, plastering on his serious face, and survives even a nude Steve-O posing in front of the dance mirror.

Carrie Ann: That is by far the most fun I’ve had as a viewer.

Len: You came out fun, high energy. I would have liked a little finesse here and there. It was a little bit wild and wacky, but I really enjoyed it.

Bruno: This was top of the league for entertainment value and creativity. You didn’t lose a beat. I loved every step of it.

Scores Dance 2: CA 10 Len 9 Bruno 10 for a total of 29
    Score Dance 1: 27
    Combined Scores: 56

Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough (Jenougher) Dance 1: the Quick Step to “Let’s Face the Music and Dance” by Frank Sinatra

According to an orthopedic doctor who made a house-call to the practice studio, Jennifer has a tough decision to make regarding her injuries. He was called to treat a knee tendon tear and put her in a brace.

Derek: When Jennifer looks at me and shakes her head, I know that the pain is not good. Her safety and her health is far more important than any dance.

During Jennifer’s lowest point, her dad, actor Joel Grey, visits the studio to show her his love and, for Jennifer, a reminder that the show must always go on.

Jennifer: Last week made me realize that I have more energy than I thought.

Carrie Ann: If you ever wonder if you are loved, look around you. (The audience continues to scream their delight with her dance.) There was a tiny (Carrie Ann’s favorite qualifier adjective along with teeny.) miss step.

Len: You said to Derek – let’s face the music and dance, and that is what you did; and it was great!

Bruno: It was like watching a vintage Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers classic Quick Step. Forget your troubles. There was a tiny miss step.

Scores Dance 1: CA 9 Len 9 Bruno 9 for a total of 27

Brooke: How close were you to quitting this competition?
    Jennifer: I stopped considering that last week. I decided you’ve just got to go forward.

Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough (Jenougher) Dance 2: the Rumba to “Waiting for a Girl Like You” by Foreigner

Derek: Having the Rumba is good because it’s not so stressful on her knee.
    Jennifer: I need to trust Derek for this dance because it is a sexy, intimate dance.

Carrie Ann: There is nothing more beautiful for me than watching someone reclaiming their talent.

Len: What I love about dancing are the variations – the soft, the hard, the beat, the fast and the slow. That is what makes a dance, and that’s what we’ve just seen.

Bruno: What is going on tonight? This challenge (the Insta-dance) brings out the best in people. This was just breath taking again – sensual, sexy; the off-balance went superb. Flawless…flawless.

Scores Dance 2: CA 10 Len 10 Bruno 10 for a total of 30
    Score Dance 1: 27
    Combined Score: 57

Kurt Warner and Anna Trebunskaya (Kurtana) Dance 1: the Waltz to “Take It To the Limit” by The Eagles

Kurt: There is a comparison in adrenalin rush from throwing that first pass on the football field to taking those first steps on the dance floor.
    Anna: The waltz is all about big, graceful movements and I think that will be good for you.
    Kurt: What part of that is me?
    Anna: Big.

Tom: Very nice you two. Great stuff tonight from all our couples.

Carrie Ann: If I wanted a Ken doll, I would want him to look like you, and I would want him to ballroom dance. You’re not at the same level as other people, but what is endearing is that I see the effort with every movement you make.

Len: It’s rather nice seeing a big guy coming out, being graceful, giving good movement around the floor. There’s little technical things you’ve got to work on, but the whole feeling of the dance was beautiful.

Bruno: Very, very touching. When you smile, you light up the room. Obviously there are people better than you, but you’ve come a long way.

Scores Dance 1: CA 8 Len 8 Bruno 8 for a total of 24

Kurt Warner and Anna Trebunskaya (Kurtana) Dance 2: the Cha-Cha-Cha to “Hella Good” by No Doubt

Anna: I have to choreograph to counts and not lyrics and Kurt doesn’t work that way.
    Kurt: With me not being able to count music, I feel like when I get off-time then I’m just kind of floating through space.

To help remedy the situation all of his children visit the studio, some to sit as judges and one who is in charge of the CD player. She keeps changing the music and tells him to listen to it. She also tells him that he needs some musicality. The children’s bright smiles, giggles and interesting score paddles lightened the room considerably.

Tom: That was so loose and fun.

Carrie Ann: Tonight you nailed everything! You are in your element. I’ve never seen you dance with so much charisma. There is a very new sort of sex appeal going on. (Kurt places a finger to his lips to quiet her on the sexy stuff.) Two snaps up!

Len: You’ve done extremely well and what I think, it is because you don’t know the music ‘til the last moment. When you know the music, it is like a safety track to run on. When you haven’t got it, you fully focus. You came out on the beat and that’s what you’ve done. The flex still needs work.

Bruno: You came out here and you let loose and you went for it, which is what we like to see. Len is right, the foot/leg is not what we like to see, but the performance was good.

Scores Dance 2: CA 8 Len 8 Bruno 8 for a total of 24
    Score Dance 1: 24
    Combined Scores: 48

Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas (Ballin) Dance 1: The Argentine Tango to “Buttons” by the Pussy Cat Dolls

Bristol is exhausted and homesick. She misses her son, Tripp, who has gone home to Alaska with family. Cue a trip to Alaska, the second one she and Mark have taken. The whole family appears at a dance studio to watch them rehearse. (I wonder if this footage will be incorporated into the Palin family’s new reality show debuting soon, I believe, on TLC.) Bristol warns them that at the beginning the Argentine Tango routine is scandalous. When Mark sits in a chair, her mom asks if it is lap dancing scandalous; to which Mark replies in a clipped manner, “No, it’s not.” Her mom tells the camera that she tells Bristol to have fun with it. That everyone is so extremely proud of her. When they’ve watched the routine, her mom coaches her to, “Just dominate; take over.”

Carrie Ann: I think that is the most intensity we have ever seen from you. What was slightly lacking, and I want to see more, is energy in your legs.

Len: I thought the lifts were good; it was clean, well placed, well rehearsed. It lacked a bit of intensity. (The audience jeers.) Don’t start on me, I’m telling the truth over here.

Bruno: I thought you were actually mean and moody. You kind of lose an expression in the middle. It’s kind of like you are playing a part and are in and out of it. You executed precisely.

Scores Dance 1: CA 8 Len 8 Bruno 8 for a total of 24

Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas (Ballin) Dance 2: the Samba to “Mas Que Nada” by Sergio Mendez and Black Eyed Peas

Mark: The thing that worries me about Bristol is that she has no musical background, so it (the Insta-dance) could be a bit of a freak out with her.
    Bristol: This is going to be hard because I always listen to the words of the song.
    Mark: Can’t do that.
    Bristol: The biggest worry about the Samba is getting off beat because once you’re off beat, you’re screwed.

Tom: You’ve come a long way since September. Nicely done.

Carrie Ann: This is the true test of musicality and unfortunately I don’t think you were that connected with the music. There was a little bit of it. Your personality came out, but the musicality came in and out…off the beat.

Len: In the Samba there’s lots of timing changes and I thought over all you coped very well with that. I would have liked to see more rhythm through your hips – not so much through your shoulders. But for a difficult dance, you did a wonderful job.

Bruno: Bristol – you can shake it! Some things were excellent, but sometimes you just lost it a little bit…where am I going? (Mark speaks up and says, “I lost it, it wasn’t her!)

Scores Dance 2: CA 7 Len 8 Bruno 8 for a total of 23
    Score Dance 1: 24
    Combined Score: 47

Brandy and Maks Chmerkovskiy (BranDMC) Dance 1: the Waltz to “Dark Waltz” by Hayley Westenra

Brandy: I’m happy to be here, but I’m noticing it’s just not about the dancing or the high scores – no one is safe.
    Brandy: The waltz is very flowy; it’s like moving on a cloud. I’ve adjusted in my learning with Maks; we’ve found common ground.
    Maks: (speaking in a monotone while moving a finger like a metronome) You are sure of your steps. Please don’t ask me to go over them again.

Carrie Ann: The emotional quality of your dancing was riveting. I could not…I was spell bound by every move you make. Because I was watching you so closely, there was just one tiny, little adjustment and that is that you have to watch your neck. I want to see it relax.

Len: If you were a nit-picky kind of person, you could make a point about your neck, but I’m not going to because I was overwhelmed by the whole performance. Beautiful.

Bruno: Darling – this was more than a dance. This was an exquisite interpretation of the song. You were totally immersed in the character. Emotionally it was like a symphony, a poem. You danced absolutely beautifully.

Scores Dance 1: CA 9 Len 10 Bruno 10 for a total of 29

Brandy and Maks Chmerkovskiy (BranDMC) Dance 2: the Cha-Cha-Cha to “Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry

Brandy: The Insta-dance is a test to see if you are a dancer. Thankfully, I have a little of the musicality thing going on.
    Maks: When Brandy gets out there, she needs to forget everyone in the room except me.

They have a booty shaking contest which shows up in their dance.

Carrie Ann: (with a sour look on her face) The Insta-dance is how quickly you can get into the beats and I’m shocked you took 4/8ths to get into it. I’m shocked because musicality should be so easy for you. (Maks: Relax, don’t worry about it.) I’m so stressed about it because Brandy is amazing. (Maks: Don’t worry about it. I take the blame.) I’m glad you do!

Tom: SMACKDOWN!

Len: You did a waltz which was full of grace and elegance, totally on the other end of the spectrum – a cha-cha-cha, which was full of flair, full of rhythm. Well done to you.

Bruno: I love the fabulous performance in a truly fantastic night. I loved all of it.

Tom: Len, what do you think of Carrie Ann?
    Len: I think Carrie Ann was right. Insta-dance – come out, get on the floor and dance!

Scores Dance 2: CA 9 Len 9 Bruno 10 for a total of 28
    Score Dance 1: 29
    Combined Score: 57

In the Celebriquarium, Brooke asks Maks why he is so hot about Carrie Ann’s remarks, and he tells her that the Pros should be more respected. That they (the judges) should come to the rehearsals and see what goes on.

Judges’ Leader Board for Week 8:

57 Brandy/Maks
    57 Jennifer/Derek
    56 Kyle/Lacey
    48 Kurt/Anna
    47 Bristol/Mark

Thus ended week 8 of Dancing With the *Stars*. As far as Tom wondering if the ballroom will face a dance disaster, and commenting that they have no idea how it’s going to work, if it’s going to work or if we'll ever see anything like it again, I say, oh, yes we will. Insta-dance will reappear again and again and...

Tuesday’s results show will include a segment of Dance Center. We were shown a preview where Jerry Rice is too busy gluing silver strips to a mirror ball to join Len and Kenny Maye for lunch. It should be fun. I hope.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 11/8 DWTS 11 Recap: Instant Dance or Instant Disaster?

Bruno actually got a word in during the Maks vs CA "smackdown"? I missed that.

This has been the longest 8 weeks, for a show that I used to never want to end. Thanks for the recap!

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Re: 11/8 DWTS 11 Recap: Instant Dance or Instant Disaster?

No, not that I remember. I had to find a place for the Tom/Len section and placed them at the end, after Bruno. Bruno seemed to ignore the whole thing (self-preservation?) and just gave a glowing generic review.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread