+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 11/8 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/8 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4101160;
    This is the first time I've watched in quite a few weeks. I was wondering how things were progressing.

There are definitely huge problems with the judging.

In the opening numbers, I felt things were judged quite right, except Bristol was given marks far too high for what she did. Sixes and sevens were in order.

It was the insta-dance judging that was REALLY out to lunch... completely bizarre.
    Mark and Bristol: not good... I thought CA was the only one to judge them fairly (even a seven was a bit generous)
    Brandy and Maks: I didn't care for the choreography that much, but she danced it SO well. Two nines and a ten seemed right.
    Kyle and Lacey: He's light on his feet and the choreography was decent for that song. I think they did a fine job... if a bit messy. The marks were all right.
    Kurt and Anna: By far, Anna did the best job of mixing their dance moves to the new music! Every nuance of that song made sense to the moves of their dance. I really am quite amazed that she was able to pull that together in such a short time. Anna is a great partner, I think... she makes her partner look good! I thought their marks could have been higher.
    Jennifer and Derek: Nice dance overall... but they weren't dancing to the music they were given. Isn't that what this Insta dance is all about? Adjusting to the new music you are given and making it work? Because they failed at that. Sure, what they had put together was quite nice, but if it doesn't fit the music, what's all the tens all about? Also, the "balancing act" looked, unfortunately, just like that. They were shaking as they lifted their hands into a somewhat awkward pose. I don't know what the judges were seeing, but it looked awful and really didn't make much sense with the music unless the pose was "free" and graceful, not shaky.

The marks for Jennifer and Bristol in the insta-dance were what really threw the judging off kilter last night. I can understand Maks frustration with the judges after watching Derek mess up the choreography on his dance (by not making it fit with the music) and then get perfect tens... and then get raked by CA for not starting to dance right away. Please, if they're going to call out Maks for that, fine. But don't go praising Derek for an ugly balancing move and give him all tens. It's ridiculously unfair. RIDICULOUSLY.
    I think that the idea was that Jennifer was able to do that balancing, stretching act with a hurt ( torn tendon) knee, do it relatively flawlessly, and without it appearing as though it hurt at all.

Haven't read all the way back on this thread, so I don't know if it was mentioned already, but regarding CA's criticism of Brandy's actual dance starting after several bars of the music, I recall that Kyle's excellent jive pretty much started the same way, and he wasn't criticized for it at all. Both Kyle and Brandy did what Len would refer to as "a bit of business", shimmying around on their own for 15-20 seconds, before getting in hold with their partner and starting on the beat. If that is what Maks means by inconsistency with the judging, he's absolutely right. And did CA give Kyle a 10 for his performance?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4101120;
    The show started to jump the shark for me when they played up that stupid showmance between Maks and Erin and then that totally inappropriate bed scene dance that they claimed was the "story of us" last season. All the while her with a trial going on for the peeping tom thing. That was just an awful parody. Sometimes people are just too eager to share too much information. Then after the show ended it was obvious there was nothing to a romance between them. That gets old. They do the same thing with Cheryl for many of the seasons. Don't these people have a personal life? Must they always be thought to be hooking up with their dance partner on a TV show that airs for a few weeks? Are Maks and Cheryl really that irresistible, desperate? Seems unprofessional and ridiculous.
    The "romances" are generated by production to create interest in the show. It has nothing to do with the dancers themselves. That is fine with me. I just watch for the fun of it all, including insane judging scores and obvious favoritism.

Bristol scoring 1 pt below Kurt's 24 was abismal - I'm appalled at this season - I only watched the last half hour and that's all I cared to see. Bristol in next week's semi finals will have me watching anything but DWTS.

See ya next season.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4101199;
    I think that the idea was that Jennifer was able to do that balancing, stretching act with a hurt ( torn tendon) knee, do it relatively flawlessly, and without it appearing as though it hurt at all.
    That's kind of the point. They were beside themselves trying to point out the negatives of Mak's dance but completely neglected any of the negatives of Derek's.
    Mak's negative: didn't start dancing right away.
    Derek's negative: didn't choreograph TO the music. (That is far too huge of a negative to be completely dismissed... and then to award tens). Also, it was a flimsy balancing act. Maybe it was impressive for her to do it, but if it doesn't look that good, it doesn't look that good.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4101240;
    Bristol scoring 1 pt below Kurt's 24 was abismal - I'm appalled at this season - I only watched the last half hour and that's all I cared to see. Bristol in next week's semi finals will have me watching anything but DWTS.

See ya next season.
    I was very disappointed to see the Kurt performance scored the same as Bristol's. IMO there was absolutely no comparison. Kurt isn't the best dancer, but far exceeds Bristol's talent.

It's becoming quite clear, as well, that folks are tired of hearing about Jennifer's injuries. I am starting to wonder if this "strategy" will backfire on her. I know of several people who initially wanted her to win because of her dancing talent, but now are rooting/voting for someone else because of her continual injury drama.

I didn't watch the first 3/4s of the show - so if anyone knows where I can find D/J's dance that would be great. I saw the stretch move in the recaps at the end - I'm interested in seeing the whole dance.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo47;4101245;
    I was very disappointed to see the Kurt performance scored the same as Bristol's. IMO there was absolutely no comparison. Kurt isn't the best dancer, but far exceeds Bristol's talent.

It's becoming quite clear, as well, that folks are tired of hearing about Jennifer's injuries. I am starting to wonder if this "strategy" will backfire on her. I know of several people who initially wanted her to win because of her dancing talent, but now are rooting/voting for someone else because of her continual injury drama.
    One of the few pieces I did see during my flipping about last night was CA’s comments about ‘after watching that package…..” – so without seeing the package I can’t comment, but for CA to mention it at all, really makes me wonder how much the editing played into her injury/pain, and why they are beating that dead horse. She’s older, she’s had neck surgery, she’s in pain – we get it…move along please – it doesn’t make me want to vote for her, it makes me want to vote for anyone but her.

I remember all the negativity surrounding Melissa’s rib injuries and how folks were very critical of her because they thought she was playing for the sympathy vote, and even questioned if she had an injury because in the end (just like Jennifer) she would come out and nail her performance.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4101160;
    Please, if they're going to call out Maks for that, fine. But don't go praising Derek for an ugly balancing move and give him all tens. It's ridiculously unfair. RIDICULOUSLY.
    Thank you! Coming from someone who looooves Dirty Dancing, I just can't stomach Jennifer. Either you're hurt or you're not. Yes, dancers and athletes muscle through pain, but crying weekly about these supposed injuries and then pulling out a balancing act isn't impressive. It's insulting to the audience and her competitors. Everyone, including Derek, is concerned for her and worries if she should even keep dancing only to have her perfectly execute her dances without pause or issue. Massive cognitive dissonance! Which one is it? Are you truly hurt or are you faking it?

At this point, I think she's doped on cortisone injections and pain killers the night of performance.

As for the finale, if Brandy escapes the Season 11 curse, I could see her, Jenn, and Kyle in the finale with Kyle actually pulling out the win with a sneak attack of utter charm Either that, or it's an all-female final that includes Bristol. It's really anyone's guess right now, but if the show allows Jen through to the finals without Brandy (who seems to be her only legit competition) then the semifinals and the finals will be pointless. Just give Jenougher the glitter ball tonight and call it a season.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4101265;
    As for the finale, if Brandy escapes the Season 11 curse, I could see her, Jenn, and Kyle in the finale with Kyle actually pulling out the win with a sneak attack of utter charm
    I agree, as I think he is by far the most entertaining of the three. I think Brandy is the best dancer of the group. Jennifer is good, but not as much fun to watch, and the whining has gotten way old for me; it would not hurt my feelings one bit if she left tonight.
    Of the other two, I do not thing Kurt is all that much better than Bristol; she is boring, he is stiff. Unless it involves Jennifer going home, either of these could go and it would be the same to me. Kurt's "instant dance" was his best of the season and the only one where he did not look sort of uncomfortable to me.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread