+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 11/8 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 11/8 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4100957;
    I just finished watching my DVRed episode and I feel really disappointed in Maks' little ugly scene to end what was a pretty fun evening. I think he has the right to answer the judges, but yelling over her and saying over and over again, "just give me a 7 then", was rude and stupid. Then, when he talked about how unappreciated the pros are- that was really stupid! He is hurting Brandi's votes by doing stuff like that. The American public love humility and will vote for a humble person who will take criticism gracefully, even if the person is not as good. I think we have learned this through reality show competitions time and time again.

Also, apart from people in the dance world, who has ever heard of any of these pros before Dancing with the Stars? Noone! This is a pretty good gig for these pros and gives them the opportunity to do other things that never would have been possible without the publicity they receive from the show. I think it is stupid for any of them to act so ungrateful for the opportunity to be a professional dancer on this show and there are plenty of other pro dancers who would be happy to take their place.

Actually, I believe all of the pros are very well-known in their own profession. They all teach, have dance studios, tour and perform on stage. This is just another venue for them. This is no different from an orchestral musician being offered a solo opportunity. They still continue to teach but have an additional venue (or change that to: doctor, athlete, lawyer, whatever). Just because this venue is more public (on television) doesn't mean that they should just stand back and get knocked down for their profession week after week. Maks and Tony are slammed every week by Carrie Ann. She is NOT a ballroom dancer and while she may have some knowledge, she doesn't exactly have the credentials to judge. Len does, he's the only one on the judging panel who does. Again, Bruno has more experience than Carrie Ann, he has training. Yes, there are other dancers who would be happy to take their place, but they are due respect for their skills and I don't believe Carrie Ann gives Maks (or Tony or some others) their due respect for their skills and contributions to the profession.
    "Grammar is the bus that carries the words, without it they have to walk, and get very confused on the way." Unknown

"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4100955;
    At least you admit it
    I like Maks a lot. I aren't terribly keen on Brandy, didn't like Erin much at all and thought all the romance speculation was completely tiresome.
    Maks and Mel B are one of my favourite couples ever, if not my absolute favourite. I think CA was right about their instadance though. Too much time elapsed before the dancing started and I didn't like the ending either.
    I thought Maks completely overreacted to her comments.
    We all have our priorities and, for me, looks can excuse a myriad of other shortcomings, gosh darn it! Maks is very temperamental and rebellious and it's hard for me to always tell what his point is when he starts going off like that but I've also learned, from Kara posting his blog, that he's really intelligent and thinks about things very carefully too. Maybe sometimes he allows his temper get ahead of his more careful thoughts which is too bad. But then, that passion also adds to his alpha-male thing so it becomes like a vicious circle of hotness and all I can think is how freaking hot he is.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4100959;
    That's better than any rationale I've ever heard out of any of the judges' mouths for anything they do! I am totally behind this logic. Totally and completely *fangirl wave*

kara, thanks for reminding me where the Conrad-Green-Pros-Vs. Judges thing came from that I referenced in my post. Consider yourself properly footnoted now

We'll know the script better tomorrow, but I'd love to hope that they deemed Maks worthy of the MBT this season instead of writing Derek's 3rd win into the script. We can only hope.

I kinda want Kurt in the final cuz I think he'd just be so funny on GMA, but with Maks' blowup, now he needs my help. Ay yi yi.
    Tell everyone that thing you were telling me the other day about having a dysfunctional obsession with Maks, veg_out. Some day that will be an entry in the DSM Psych manual as Maksim Disorder.
    Last edited by chrisg; 11-09-2010 at 12:11 AM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fogey

I think Maks and Tony have just had it. They are both polished dancers, and very good looking guys. However, they both get the shaft season after season. I think that the judges and producers do everything to get them out as fast as possible. CA is a joke. I am sick of her and her antics. The judges are not constructive in their criticism, they are just mean. Len at least backs it up with knowledge. I wish that they would take two pros each season and have them judge with Len or get some other ballroom judges. I think that it does not even seem to matter what is done, so she is mad and gives them a nine. The show is becoming a joke.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan;4100961;
    Actually, I believe all of the pros are very well-known in their own profession. They all teach, have dance studios, tour and perform on stage. This is just another venue for them. This is no different from an orchestral musician being offered a solo opportunity. They still continue to teach but have an additional venue (or change that to: doctor, athlete, lawyer, whatever). Just because this venue is more public (on television) doesn't mean that they should just stand back and get knocked down for their profession week after week. Maks and Tony are slammed every week by Carrie Ann. She is NOT a ballroom dancer and while she may have some knowledge, she doesn't exactly have the credentials to judge. Len does, he's the only one on the judging panel who does. Again, Bruno has more experience than Carrie Ann, he has training. Yes, there are other dancers who would be happy to take their place, but they are due respect for their skills and I don't believe Carrie Ann gives Maks (or Tony or some others) their due respect for their skills and contributions to the profession.
    Yes, that is exactly what I said - "apart from the dance world" who knows who these people are? Would anyone care about Louie's workouts that are making him millions, Julianne's singing career, the DVD dance workout videos from all of them, or the other outside things they have been successful at if not for this show? No way. Maks would be an unknown if not for the show, and he is forgetting that and allowing himself to think that he would be this famous anyway, but he wouldn't.

Just as much as Maks deserves to be treated with respect, so does Carrie Ann. She is a judge and doing her job by pointing out the very true point that Maks and Brandi took the longest time to get started dancing than any other couple. That was not a disrespectful statement towards him. And, when she talked about Brandi having musicality because she is a singer, it was EXACTLY what Brandi had been crowing about in her rehearsal footage. Maks was the one who was disrespectful and nasty in that exchange - not CA. And, she gave them a 9, so she looked like a bigger person than him.

I'm just saying, like it or not M&B fans, this is not going to sit well with the public and it IS going to hurt Brandi.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4100965;
    We all have our priorities and, for me, looks can excuse a myriad of other shortcomings, gosh darn it! Maks is very temperamental and rebellious it's hard for me to always tell what his point is when he starts going off like that but I've also learned, from Kara posting his blog, that he's really intelligent and thinks about things very carefully too. Maybe sometimes he allows his temper get ahead of his more careful thoughts which is too bad. But then, that passion also adds to his alpha-male thing so it becomes like a vicious circle of hotness and all I can think is how freaking hot he is.

Tell everyone that thing you were telling me the other day about your dysfunctional obsession with Maks, veg_out. Some day that will be an entry in the DSM Psych manual as Maksim Disorder.

"Vicious cycle of hotness" leads to "repeat viewing of Maks dancing samba" and "sleeplessness induced by power-voting to save his sorry tush from losing his chance at the glitter ball": Simple 1 in the DSM IV of Maksim Disorder.

You've got it bad, chris. (I died laughing at the bolded part).

FORT Fogey

I really do not think that Maks did anything that would hurt he and Brandy. I truly believe that Derek gets so many votes that even if he danced with a corpse, he would win the trophy. I think that is why all the other pros are frustrated because they know it is just a matter of how many weeks they will collect money for showing up, and how much of a beating they will have to endure to give Derek another trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4100969;

I'm just saying, like it or not M&B fans, this is not going to sit well with the public and it IS going to hurt Brandi.
    I can't argue with you about Maks. People either love him or hate him. I will say that, if Brandy leaves tomorrow night, something is rotten in DWTS world. Brandy had her very best edit this week; her waltz package highlighted that Audrina and Rick both were eliminated before their time. Then they get probably the best music for cha-cha, waste 32 counts (I agree with CA; I was wondering when they were gonna start dancing), and basically re-do their team dance choreo. Then Maks goes off like a rocket with no regard, worse than last year with Len. If they're in the B2 tomorrow night, and esp. if they go home, it almost feels like it's scripted. Kinda like The Curse of the Successful Dancer.

Why has Maks not opened his mouth to this point? They've made lame comments to him before tonight? Otherwise, if they're in B2 (I expect them to be), and they end up safe, then it was all a stunt to stoke her voting base.

Maks and Brandy do have very loyal fans who regardless of what he does (remember Spanking Week) will vote their fingers off to get him the glitter ball.

It'll be interesting tomorrow, that's for sure.

It's not as though Derek has won the trophy every year he's taken part in the show.

I don't agree that CA has been "out to get" Maks and Tony ever since they started on the show and I think Tony has been pretty rude to her and dismissive of her opinion on a number of occasions.
    CA has been a judge since the first season. Anyone joining after that knows she will be judging their performances and in agreeing to be on the show they have to accept her along with any limitations she has as a ballroom judge.

I don't really care if her comments tonight were "the straw that broke the camel's back", I still think Maks' reaction to her (IMO) valid point was very over the top. Him telling her to just give them a 7 was ridiculous to me, when what she really appeared to be doing was explaining why they didn't get a 10.
    I don't read anyone questioning her credentials to judge when she does give Maks' and his partners 10's.
    "That's Numberwang!"

WC checking in here.
    I loved Kyle's dance, but then I've liked him and his great personality from Day 1.
    Lacey's dress was just horrid, though.
    I absolutely lovely Jen and Derek's dance. It did totally remind me of the old Astaire / Rogers musicals. Just wonderful. And, her dress was just beautiful.
    As far as Joel Grey, considering the man is now 78, I appreciated the fact that he didn't have all the surgery that so many seem to have at that age. I'd rather see people age than look like they've been to the Dr's office (I'm looking at you, Buzz Aldrin!)
    If the first 2 dances are a portent, I can't wait to see the rest of the show. Although, after reading the comments upthread, I may have to close my eyes when Ms. Palin goes on.
    And, for the record, having been there a few weeks ago, there's no way that Bristol is 120 pounds. And, I think that 135 is probably a lot lower, too, than she's actually at. Sorry, but there is no tone at all on her body.
    Brooke's dress, makeup and hair are just lovely tonight.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Derek may not have won every season, but since he considered to be one of Julianne/Mark/himself, you could say they've won every season since season 4, except 1. He does well every season and no, I don't believe it has anything to do with how good of a choreographer he is or dancer he is, it starts with how good of a partner he is handed. Anyone who's gotten partners that were ringers, or near ringers, have always produced show stopping routines, and I don't think it's anything against their credibility if they get someone that's a horrible hoofer. That's all a broken record from me, but I don't blame him for sticking around on the show, or getting the partners/praise from the judges he does. I just wish they'd realize not everyone enjoys him the way they seem to think.

Going back to season 2, 5, and 6, there were exchanges with Tony and CA that were awkward, including lift-gate with Jane, when it seemed then CA cared about whether lifts were legal or not. Even though they had happened in the 4 seasons before. I think CA sees what she likes and gives it high marks, even if it's not technically the right routine, or a lot of dancing around the celeb, or something to that effect. She and Bruno are always the quickest to dish out the high scores, including the 10s, which is why I think getting 8s, 9s, and 10s from Len is better. There've been times Maks has gotten high scores, including 10s, that I didn't agree with it. I'd have to go back and watch, but I know that's been the case. And it's hard to be unbiased when you are rooting for a couple so much I'm wondering if there was the impression everyone would wing it, or maybe Maks had to throw together different choreography at the last minute because what they worked on didn't fit the song. It seemed to be lacking, that I'll agree, but what I say them doing with waving their arms and flapping around I've seen others do before as well. I'd have to check to see what they got from the judges. It could just be Maks's way of calling all of that out, or sticking it to CA she doesn't know what she's talking about. Who knows. At the end of the day, I don't think they all immensely dislike each other. He's never agreed with having her as a judge, though.

I've often thought CA and Bruno interrupting Len and turning their backs to him when they give their scores, but then getting offended when they get booed is immature. CA had already written down a 9 for Brandy, so it's not like she could take it back after the tiff. It goes back to what I think is lacking, and that's consistancy. Did Bristol really deserve to be patted on the back like she's 5 and given 7s and 8s for barely dancing? Mark held onto her practically the whole dance, she was off in the beginning, and did a lot of shimmying throughout the routine. Derek danced a solo in that rumba, and Jennifer was off musically. Yet Brandy gets dinged on something when she pulled off an another wise pretty flawless routine. I think the judges can be out of line comparing/contrasting to the other couples, and having high expectations because someone may be a singer, or a Broadway star. If the judges would be more consistant then I'd be saying Maks crossed the line (and let's not forget Mark kept interrupting and talking over Bruno). But since they aren't, and the others can see they aren't, then I don't blame him for snapping, because that's what it seemed like. Maybe news of Karina's engagement got to him. Maybe he's not returning to the show, ever, and this was him letting it all out that's held in for 10 seasons. It's a very different show than when he started out in season 2 (how I miss them). It's why I wish they discussed exactly what they're looking for, what they'll take off for, and explain their scoring more.

The only performance I really enjoyed tonight was Kyle's jive. I didn't know that boy could move! I've felt he's gotten better on his feet but still looks virtually the same, dance wise, pose wise, you name it, since the first week. But if I didn't have Kurt and Brandy to vote for, I wouldn't have thrown some to him. Every other dance is a forgettable blur. Loved Anna's spirit tonight, and their cha cha costumes, but can't remember much about the dance. I can't wait for this season to be over. 2 more weeks.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-09-2010 at 12:55 AM.

+ Reply to Thread