+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 10/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I don't accept the premise that Derek no longer gets excited by receiving 10's. He can't win if he reacts, he can't win if he mutes his reaction. He just can't win with some people.

I'm going to continue to enjoy watching him dance and mug and get excited, just like I always have. And to believe that I'm not the only one left here.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Derek is enjoyable to watch but in part that is because he often gets the ringers and dancers with most potential. Is it more fun to watch Grey or The Situation? How about Nicole or Kate? It's not even close because two actually can dance and had dance before the show. I think what made show's bias really clear was Derek following up Nicole with Grey. If he had gotten Kate and Grey it wouldn't be a big deal or Cho and Nicole it wouldn't be a big deal either but that doesn't happen to Derek. He doesn't get the clunkers. He never has and never will. It isn't fair to the other pros many of whom have paid their debt season after season.

I didn't mind Derek getting a high score last night because they danced beautifully. I do think it was interesting they got best AT music and Tony had JS and others had some poor music as well. These are little things that can help the scores and when a benefit is given it is always given to Derek. I don't take anything away from Derek as a dancer and choreographer because I think he is stellar in both but show doesn't even hide the bias in his partnerships anymore. He is the only one who is an absolute shoo-in for finale since the beginning. Only way he loses is if there is voter backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4082579;
    He doesn't get the clunkers. He never has and never will. It isn't fair to the other pros many of whom have paid their debt season after season.
    Here's my question: Why does he never get the clunker? Part of me wonders if Corky Ballas bought part of DWTS to showcase his trio, and thus, they get star treatment. Yes, it's an outrageous proposition, but it does not make any sense to me that Derek never sees a clunker. Is he a diva who would pitch a fit were he to get someone without talent? Would he be mean and inconsiderate? Would it so stifle the man's creativity that he'd be depressed?

I imagine that the show has decided to make him their star pro. He's the person that will always get the decent dancer who can somewhat keep time with him so that they can have at least one WOW! couple every season. Derek's gift is his performance and maybe not his teaching.

Has any other season been this predictable? I really wonder what the show was like during seasons 1 and 2.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4082565;
    I don't accept the premise that Derek no longer gets excited by receiving 10's. He can't win if he reacts, he can't win if he mutes his reaction. He just can't win with some people.

I'm going to continue to enjoy watching him dance and mug and get excited, just like I always have. And to believe that I'm not the only one left here.
    The way he acts you'd think the boy never saw a 10 paddle. I didn't see Anna get so excited last season, and I don't think she ever had If she did it would have been all the way back in season 2. Obviously Derek and his antics work for some people and made him so popular (or part of it). My beef is more with the show and how it handles things, and it's not just reserved for him. But unfortuantely, he's caught in the middle. At least someone will be happy if the outcome is Mark hoisting Derek on his shoulders again, and we can wrap up season 11 with a nice debate that'll probably continue into season 12. I guess it's better than having an outcome no one likes

Being paired with Jennifer makes me realize it can be all about the partner. I don't remember as much love for Nicole as there is for Jennifer.

BTW
    FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4082579;
    Derek is enjoyable to watch but in part that is because he often gets the ringers and dancers with most potential. Is it more fun to watch Grey or The Situation? How about Nicole or Kate? It's not even close because two actually can dance and had dance before the show. I think what made show's bias really clear was Derek following up Nicole with Grey. If he had gotten Kate and Grey it wouldn't be a big deal or Cho and Nicole it wouldn't be a big deal either but that doesn't happen to Derek. He doesn't get the clunkers. He never has and never will. It isn't fair to the other pros many of whom have paid their debt season after season. I didn't mind Derek getting a high score last night because they danced beautifully. I do think it was interesting they got best AT music and Tony had JS and others had some poor music as well. These are little things that can help the scores and when a benefit is given it is always given to Derek. I don't take anything away from Derek as a dancer and choreographer because I think he is stellar in both but show doesn't even hide the bias in his partnerships anymore. He is the only one who is an absolute shoo-in for finale since the beginning. Only way he loses is if there is voter backlash.
    I whoteheartedly agree with you. It's almost useless to continue watching and hoping for another winner. We are to be satisfied and entertained by the other acts? Just bide our time til the finale. Another Derek win. The music they dance to has great bearing on votes too. Crumby, unknown song choices don't inspire the voters.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4082641;
    Being paired with Jennifer makes me realize it can be all about the partner. I don't remember as much love for Nicole as there is for Jennifer.
    Well, people know who Jennifer is, for one thing. And she has a much more interesting story than Nicole did, with her illnesses and with Patrick Swayze dying so recently.

I had no idea who Nicole was when last season started; it's much easier to stand by my man this season than last.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm with you, ol' buddy ol' pal!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Nicole winning last season was a gimme with the last scores. I hated her winning because she had such a foul attitude. I would have loved to see Johnathon with Jennifer, and Derek with Florence for a change. I love how they bring Corky back for the elderly women, but Edyta has had what three men over 50?

I think a perfect way to settle this debate would be to do an All Stars version, and give Derek Susan Lucci. Susan Lucci was not as annoying as Cloris or Kate, but danced just as badly. I want to see him with a struggle of a dancer. I would also than in contrast like Nicole and Kristi to go to Tony and Johnathon. I want to see if it is the ringer argument or Derek is just that good of a teacher once and for all.

Agreed. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the best dancer on the show, and if he's happy with getting the high scores, well, why wouldn't he be. If he's happy his best friend as won, again, why wouldn't he be. I would be.

And regarding his partners and how well they do, how do we know that Jennie Garth, L'il Kim and Shannon Elizabeth wouldn't be wooden and inept with another pro? It is entirely possible that Derek brought out the best possible dancer in them because he is that good a teacher.
    Last edited by Rattus; 10-13-2010 at 08:45 AM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I wonder that as well - although Jennifer is great and has great musicality, I do believe she would be great with any partner, but I wonder if any other partner would push her to perform to the level that Derek pushes his partners. We know some pros have to dumb down their choreography, and Derek may push his partners farther than others ---- IDK, just a guess.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

+ Reply to Thread