+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 10/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: 10/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

With Derek being such a huge talent in dancing and choreography, putting him with a low level talent could be too stressful for the lower level individual, and discourage that individual. They give him partners who can "hang" with him, even though they are not really at his level either. And, I think, they have the desire to work harder to show that they can, indeed, dance with him. When I'm new, I don't know that I want to, immediately, be with a master, but maybe I'd rather come along in smaller increments? He's worked hard to get to where he is...along with whatever God-given talent he possesses. Who knows? Maybe they'll add a little "shake-up" show and put the stronger pros with people who've been on in the past but did not do very well, but have shown that they really are interested. That could be fun.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

I thought the judges were harsher on Flo/Corky then with Bristol/Mark - which made me think that Bristol will be safe this week - it may be between Florence (old people dont last long - smaller fan base) and Mike (Hate calling him situation - thought it was funny when Len couldnt remember his name and caved to calling him situation)

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4082306;
    I just wanted to remark about Derek's celebrations when he scores a 10 with his new partner each season. Don't you think that he is pretty used to it by now? To me, he seems like the hammy guy who overacts. So, when he gets a 10, although it is no big deal to him, he plays it up and celebrates with his partner - who is understandably excited. Could you imagine if you worked your butt off all week, memorized and executed a perfect dance, and actually scored a 10 - only to have your partner politely smile and clap? Derek has had so many 10's on this show, he can't truly be that surprised or excited, but he needs to be for his celeb. He is an over-the-top guy, so he is doing exactly what I (and the stars who are dancing with him) would expect from him.
    My opinion its all about Derek. If you ask me, he loves those 10s and is absolutely elated when he gets the ringers and better dancers on his way to the 3rd trophy of course its all about him. Jennifer will be a side note when his buddy Mark hoists him and the trophy into the air. Just like Derek did to Mark when he (and Shawn) won the trophy. I turned it off as soon as Derek and Nicole won, so I dont know what happened when they got the trophy last season.
    No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible. George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

If they hadn't announced it was acoustic night, I wouldn't have noticed any difference with the music. Correction: I actually didn't notice the difference! Can any music buffs explain how that was acoustic, versus the usual music every week?

Jennifer's and Derek's AT was fantastic, and I don't see her as a ringer just because she learned a couple of dances more than 20 years ago. The woman is a cancer survivor, has two screws in her neck, a bad back, a bad foot, and is 50 years old. She appears to have some natural ability, and Derek is a terrific teacher and choreographer who knows how to make the best of that. Many of the celebs just don't have the potential to dance well or even improve very much.

Mike will never be a dancer, but I think Karina's choreography buried him last night with all those lifts. It was plain to see how nervous he was about them, so it looked to me like he couldn't even focus on the little bit of dancing between each one because he was anticipating the lifts and was so intent on doing them right and not hurting Karina.

Florky's dance had such a ewwww factor that CA was talking about it on Jimmy Kimmel last night. I think Flo or Mike should be the one to go tonight. Neither of them is going to improve very much, and a little of them goes a long way with me. They had fun, time to go. There's really nothing else to see from either one. After them, then Bristol, obviously.

Oh, and CA also commented that there is quite a bit of hooking up between the celebs and pros, as well as in the professional dancing world in general. Interesting!
    Last edited by Lucky22; 10-12-2010 at 02:16 PM.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually liked the dancing in the round and the challenges the stage presented. It really did seem to make the focus more on the dancers and less on gimmicky starts. (With the exception of Jennifer and Derek - who got by with a start in the band's area playing on the piano which Len would've complained about if anyone else had done it. "I didn't like that messing about. You wasted xx bars of the music before you started dancing...")
    I would really enjoy a true acoustic night (remember Chelsie and Derek's Paso performance to the guitar?) I would also like having appropriate music for each dance. Do they think we can't handle listening to a Latin song for a tango? They handicap some couples by giving them music that doesn't suit and then call them out when they do the best they can.
    I will begrudgingly say that Derek and Jennifer did a good dance last night, but they also got good music to which to dance the tango.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4082317;
    With Derek being such a huge talent in dancing and choreography, putting him with a low level talent could be too stressful for the lower level individual, and discourage that individual. They give him partners who can "hang" with him, even though they are not really at his level either. And, I think, they have the desire to work harder to show that they can, indeed, dance with him. When I'm new, I don't know that I want to, immediately, be with a master, but maybe I'd rather come along in smaller increments? He's worked hard to get to where he is...along with whatever God-given talent he possesses. Who knows? Maybe they'll add a little "shake-up" show and put the stronger pros with people who've been on in the past but did not do very well, but have shown that they really are interested. That could be fun.

I'm sorry, but I think many of the pro's are just as good at teaching, dancing, and choreo as Derek. i.e., Maks, Tony, Anna, Cheryl just to name a few. They have no problems getting celebs that can't "hang" with them. Or I mean, the producers don't have any problems giving them those partners. If Derek is truly a wonderful amazing teacher, he should be able to teach in those small increments. We see Mark can't really do this very well. I'm willing to bet Derek would become almost just as frustrated and annoyed.

Also, I think ALL of the pros (even the ones I don't like) have probably worked extremely hard to get where they are. Certainly not just boy wonder.

I was surprised that Len didn't call out Derek for the piddling around at the dance's start. If Maks or anyone else did that stunt, they'd have never heard the end of "wasting music." That being said, Derek is now in a league of his own. Even Mark can't hang with him. I was stunned that anything was said to a Ballas brat about his dancing. From the looks of Mark/Bristol's package, I think that he's over this season, Mark is. Bristol is Bristol; she's not super comfortable flaunting her sexuality despite being a teenage mom. Mark, for all his good will, I think, wants to dance with someone who tries hard or with whom he has a really strong connection (like any pro probably desires). I'm not sure how Bristol feels anymore about being on the show, but she could want out.

I think that many of these pros are just deflated. Season after season since the birth of Hough, they are overpowered. It's not Derek's fault. He's exceptionally talented, but no one can compete with him. It's kinda like football teams running up the score on an unequal opponent. At one time, Maks, Cheryl, Anna, and Karina coulda gone head-to-head with him, but for some reason, the show just won't allow that to happen.

I can wish for a shocking elimination a la Sabrina. It's more likely that he'll win again.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4082334;
    Oh, and CA also commented that there is quite a bit of hooking up between the celebs and pros, as well as in the professional dancing world in general. Interesting!

It looks like Mark and Bristol are up to something. You cannot bring those looks from nowhere. I knew about Maks and two of his partners Erin and that singer, but who else? I know that Johnathon, Anna, Tony are married. I wonder if Cheryl hooked up with Ochocinco?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by RyMac;4082365;
    I'm sorry, but I think many of the pro's are just as good at teaching, dancing, and choreo as Derek. i.e., Maks, Tony, Anna, Cheryl just to name a few. They have no problems getting celebs that can't "hang" with them. Or I mean, the producers don't have any problems giving them those partners. If Derek is truly a wonderful amazing teacher, he should be able to teach in those small increments. We see Mark can't really do this very well. I'm willing to bet Derek would become almost just as frustrated and annoyed.

Also, I think ALL of the pros (even the ones I don't like) have probably worked extremely hard to get where they are. Certainly not just boy wonder.
    Look at the titles most of them have won, and what they can do when they get a partner with potential. Difference is they don't have the judges wagging their tongues and drooling at them as though they just invented that style of dance. Any pro could pull off that same routine with Jennifer, and I'm not giving her any extra kudos just because she's had some bumps in the road. Jane and Marie lost parents while they were competing, Florence is almost 80 years old, Buzz was almost 90 and went to the moon, and while stuff like that is admirable, it isn't going to sway me into voting for them.

My opinion – it’s all about Derek. If you ask me, he loves those 10s and is absolutely elated when he gets the ringers and better dancers – on his way to the 3rd trophy – of course it’s all about him. Jennifer will be a side note when his buddy Mark hoists him and the trophy into the air. Just like Derek did to Mark when he (and Shawn) won the trophy. I turned it off as soon as Derek and Nicole won, so I don’t know what happened when they got the trophy last season.
    I think Mark was already hiding behind Derek before he was even announced as the winner, and Derek took the trophy as Nicole stood on the ground and tried to keep a grasp on it. They didn't even cut to Evan/Anna at that point, which makes me think the other couples ran to them first (and if true, how embarrassing that second place is getting embraced first over the winners). But everyone already knew the outcome. I've never seen anyone celebrate quite like Derek over anything. Karina's OTT, too, and Tony has gotten excited at 10s, but he at least has a reason for it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;4082228;
    I wanted to ask last night but our internet was acting up. Anyway, I missed the first few minutes of the show. Did they say why they went to a round stage? Is it permaneant?
    Unless the show decides to change to it, it was just for last night. It was supposed to be acoustic night, though as many have commented, I didn't know the difference. Seems like a lot of work for just one night.

I did like the catwalk going into the glass box over the celebs walking up stairs.

+ Reply to Thread