+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 10/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

As far as Derek "always" getting good partners...
    I don't know about that.
    I wouldn't say that Jennie Grath, Shannon Elizabeth or Joanna Krupa were naturals. Or even Brooke.
    I think the guy just happens to be an amazing dancer and choreographer. Just like Julianne was.
    Nicole, for me, was the only true ringer. But, then Mya was, as well, and she didn't get paired with Derek.
    And, somehow, I just can't equate learning a dance for a movie almost 30 years ago to being a "ringer" on this show.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

As always with the As the Derek Dances saga, it's something we can agree to disagree on. I don't think Derek turned Jennifer into that much of a dancer in such a short time, just like I don't think Audrina started off looking like Kate and turned into the dancer she's becoming. She already was a natural, and maybe he fine tuned things, but I have a hard time beleiving she was that bad to start with. And it's the same every season. Even Julianne and Mark had celebs that limited them. I know there's the argument that some of his partners didn't, from the audience perspective, appear to be contenders, but get him out in front of the judge and if they can move even halfway decent they're going to likely get a tongue bath. The boy never does anything wrong. Right out of the gate, typically night 1, the judges fawn over his celeb, his choreography, and his partner has more than average potential or is a ringer, whereas poor Jonathan is dragging yet another first ouster across the floor. I would even argue Nicole was better than Sabrina and Mel B. Personally, I don't see what's so special or big about Jennifer. I think he's got an over inflated ego and feels a little too self important about being on the show, and I think Mark and Julianne fuel it and are just as bad. If Derek got a celeb I liked, I'd certainly root and vote for them. I've just been lucky he hasn't, but it's not like it mattered anyway For now, I'll continue to root for and enjoy my favorites that remain, but putting Jennifer/Derek aside, this season just isn't doing it for me as a whole. So I guess fitting to have an end I don't care for Derek isn't bugging me nearly as bad this season like he usually does. I know he's not the only one (or at least his celebs aren't) to get tongue baths. Thinking back to Mya here, so it's reasons like that why I'm glad Len is on the panel, but even the judges are becoming too scripted. I wish I could enjoy this show for the cheese fest it used to be, but that's TV for you.

I probably shouldn't worry as much about Derek's next partner as much as who will fill the Kate/Mike/Bristol slot. Now that scares me.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-12-2010 at 04:17 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4082179;
    As far as Derek "always" getting good partners... I don't know about that. I wouldn't say that Jennie Grath, Shannon Elizabeth or Joanna Krupa were naturals. Or even Brooke. I think the guy just happens to be an amazing dancer and choreographer. Just like Julianne was. Nicole, for me, was the only true ringer. But, then Mya was, as well, and she didn't get paired with Derek. And, somehow, I just can't equate learning a dance for a movie almost 30 years ago to being a "ringer" on this show.
    Maybe Jennie, Shannon, Joanna , and Brooke weren't the obvious ringers that Nicole was, but they all had reasonable potential, as they were all in decent shape and could move. Derek's never gotten someone who's an obvious clunker, and even Julianne and Mark have gotten those (Adam Corolla and Kim Kardashian, for instance). And this season, the one time Derek's gotten someone over fifty, it's Jennifer, who obviously can move and is, for many people, a huge sentimental favorite. Florence requested him, but no way was she going to get him, because the show wouldn't stand for it. It's not just a matter of Derek getting ringers so much as it is that he never, ever gets someone who would be a real challenge. Chelsea has to choreograph around Michael Bolton's limited skills, even after proving what she could do with someone who was willing to work hard but wasn't particularly good (Ty). Louis got lucky in terms of Kelly Osbourne, but no one seriously believed he had even a shot with Niecy and Margaret. I liked Derek when he first came on the show, but for me, the obvious favoritism he's shown and his showboating and mugging for the camera has gotten really old. Yes, he can choreograph, but I suspect that almost any of the other pros on the show could choreograph better too, if they consistently had partners they could trust to learn more complex routines. Unfortunately, none of the rest of them--not even Julianne and Mark--can automatically expect that they won't get a partner who can barely move, let alone dance. I also think it's just stupid of the show to place all its eggs in Golden Boy's basket continually. They need to build up the appeal and reputation of all the pros, so that if any of them chooses to move on, it won't be that big a deal. The last thing they should want is for one or two or three pros to become too heavily identified as the show's "best" choreographer. They seemed to know that when Cheryl was on a winning streak, but they don't care at all about Derek being on one (and one could make a case that when Cheryl won her second season, it was a surprise to a lot of people that Emmit Smith would be that good). I've often thought that it would be interesting if, mid-season, they had a partner switch, but that's never going to happen. If the show were really about the "star" winning, then it could, but that's not what it's about, not anymore.

I wanted to ask last night but our internet was acting up. Anyway, I missed the first few minutes of the show. Did they say why they went to a round stage? Is it permaneant?
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

I loved last night's show, esp. the stage set-up. I liked the challenge the stage presented to the dancers.

Overall, I really enjoyed most of the dances, particularly Jen/Derek, Maks/Brandy. Audrina dances wonderfully for having no experience, but there's no emotion behind her dancing. Same with Bristol. Florky needs to lay off the crude factor, but I was surprised by their rumba.

I wonder who they'll boot tonight. Seems like they were maneuvering Sitch or Kurt into that position. I voted for Kurt and had, at least, 10 busy signals.

Anyway, I anticipate a shocking elimination at some point this season just like in season 5. A front-runner. For true shock value, it should be Jennifer Gray but I doubt that will happen. Derek will be the 3 time champ, and neither Mark nor his sister will ever challenge him. None of the pros will. I do think that Maks is done after this season.

I was bored last night, like a lot of you. I didn't like the round stage. I hope it doesn't happen again. I also don't like the idea of all these upcoming "theme" nights.

Jennifer/Derek: Yes they were awesome last night. They deserved high scores. It's just so predictable it still turns my stomach.

Audrina/Tony: They were good, but I think their music had a lot to do with their critiques. I'm not faulting the producers for the song-if Lacey could switch hers last week I'm sure Tony could have done the same thing. I think Audrina looked really confused when she was hearing from the judges. I think she thought she did a really good job, but they called out every single tiny thing they could. They praised her emotion last week and tore it to shreds this week, and I didn't see where she did much of anything different. I could see where she'd be like "what?"

Rick/Cheryl: Love Cheryl, but am starting to be bored by Rick. I think she's been really good at hiding his flaws, but she couldn't do that last night.

Kurt/Anna: Love them, hope they can improve. I think Kurt was way underscored. Anna looked absolutely AMAZING in that dress last night.

Mike/Karina: I am honestly warming to Karina this season, and I haven't been able to stand her in seasons past. But Mike is a horrible dancer. I hope they go tonight.

Bristol/Mark: Mark was way over dancing. It looked ridiculous. I hope Bristol can last one more week and get to celebrate her birthday on the show next week, but after that it's time for her to go. Sad to say, because I do like her, but she shouldn't be there above any of the others except Mike. Oh, and I loved that Sarah and Todd were there last night and they were only shown in the audience clapping when Bristol finished her dance. Nobody can say the show was pandering to Sarah Palin last night. Ha.

Florence/Corky: Ew. I like Flo, but Corky drives me nuts. I did love when Mark and Flo's daughter were holding up the signs and whatever it was that was done once had Mark laughing with his head on the table holding up the "not appropriate" sign. I was cracking up at him.

Brandy/Maks: By far my favorite performance of the night. I loved the lighting and the dance, and the song was okay. They really connected last night and because of that I didn't notice her failings in the technique that some have called out. I think their technique scores may have been right, but they should have had way better performance scores.

Kyle/Lacey: he's still enjoyable to watch, and I like how he and Lacey paid attention to the judges comments from last week. But Lacey's costume last night: seriously? wth was THAT??

Quote Originally Posted by RyMac;4082248;
    I was bored last night, like a lot of you. I didn't like the round stage. I hope it doesn't happen again. I also don't like the idea of all these upcoming "theme" nights.

Jennifer/Derek: Yes they were awesome last night. They deserved high scores. It's just so predictable it still turns my stomach.

Audrina/Tony: They were good, but I think their music had a lot to do with their critiques. I'm not faulting the producers for the song-if Lacey could switch hers last week I'm sure Tony could have done the same thing. I think Audrina looked really confused when she was hearing from the judges. I think she thought she did a really good job, but they called out every single tiny thing they could. They praised her emotion last week and tore it to shreds this week, and I didn't see where she did much of anything different. I could see where she'd be like "what?"

Rick/Cheryl: Love Cheryl, but am starting to be bored by Rick. I think she's been really good at hiding his flaws, but she couldn't do that last night.

Kurt/Anna: Love them, hope they can improve. I think Kurt was way underscored. Anna looked absolutely AMAZING in that dress last night.

Mike/Karina: I am honestly warming to Karina this season, and I haven't been able to stand her in seasons past. But Mike is a horrible dancer. I hope they go tonight.

Bristol/Mark: Mark was way over dancing. It looked ridiculous. I hope Bristol can last one more week and get to celebrate her birthday on the show next week, but after that it's time for her to go. Sad to say, because I do like her, but she shouldn't be there above any of the others except Mike. Oh, and I loved that Sarah and Todd were there last night and they were only shown in the audience clapping when Bristol finished her dance. Nobody can say the show was pandering to Sarah Palin last night. Ha.

Florence/Corky: Ew. I like Flo, but Corky drives me nuts. I did love when Mark and Flo's daughter were holding up the signs and whatever it was that was done once had Mark laughing with his head on the table holding up the "not appropriate" sign. I was cracking up at him.

Brandy/Maks: By far my favorite performance of the night. I loved the lighting and the dance, and the song was okay. They really connected last night and because of that I didn't notice her failings in the technique that some have called out. I think their technique scores may have been right, but they should have had way better performance scores.

Kyle/Lacey: he's still enjoyable to watch, and I like how he and Lacey paid attention to the judges comments from last week. But Lacey's costume last night: seriously? wth was THAT??
    I like Audrina and Tony, but I had to agree with the judges comments last night. When I was watching her dance, I didn't feel the power (I guess that is the right word) that should be present for the AT. I agree that it seemed like she played it like the ice queen - whereas what I think should be there for the AT is the passion and strength. The dance was beautiful and she danced it great - but I didn't see the passion and strength from her that I think should be there in the AT.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4082073;
    I really think if Derek had Audrina and Tony had Jennifer the consensus would be the same about him always getting a ringer partner, lol. Or even if he had Brandy. The truth is, Derek is one heck of a great teacher, he could probably do more with Bristol, too but then they would just say that he got her because she would get the mama votes. The guy just can't win without resentment!!! LOL, LOL!

Sure, maybe Audrina or Brandy... but how about a Flo or a Cho? I'd like to see him celebrate his tens with one of those.

I've stopped watching, and will not watch until Derek gets his Flo or Cho, but until then, I love reading the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;4082282;
    I like Audrina and Tony, but I had to agree with the judges comments last night. When I was watching her dance, I didn't feel the power (I guess that is the right word) that should be present for the AT. I agree that it seemed like she played it like the ice queen - whereas what I think should be there for the AT is the passion and strength. The dance was beautiful and she danced it great - but I didn't see the passion and strength from her that I think should be there in the AT.
    I agree with you-but I thought she displayed the same level of emotion last week in the waltz. That's where I thought her confusion came from. I wasn't saying she had an awesome performance witht the AT, just that she did pretty much as well emotionally this week as last week, and they praised her last week. I love Audrina and Tony, they're by far my fave pair and I pray they can pull off a huge upset (), but that doesn't mean I don't catch her flaws. Displaying her emotions is her largest obstacle.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I just wanted to remark about Derek's celebrations when he scores a 10 with his new partner each season. Don't you think that he is pretty used to it by now? To me, he seems like the hammy guy who overacts. So, when he gets a 10, although it is no big deal to him, he plays it up and celebrates with his partner - who is understandably excited. Could you imagine if you worked your butt off all week, memorized and executed a perfect dance, and actually scored a 10 - only to have your partner politely smile and clap? Derek has had so many 10's on this show, he can't truly be that surprised or excited, but he needs to be for his celeb. He is an over-the-top guy, so he is doing exactly what I (and the stars who are dancing with him) would expect from him.

+ Reply to Thread