+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 10/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;4082094;
    Totally agreed with your last paragraph. I certainly hope Bristol goes to college because she doesn't have a future in the entertainment business. But that's not a diss, because neither do most of us here, I'd wager. If Bristol has a realistic view of her level of talent, she's far ahead of that plastic tool, Jake.

Now, teen abstinence by way of teen motherhood is, however accidentally, Bristol's platform, just like any pageant contestant picks a platform--through personal experience. I have never gotten a whiff of Virgin Mary-itis from her. She was an unwed mom at 18 and was not able to graduate with her high school class and was made a national spectacle of it for a mistake thousands of young women make every day . . .nobody else had to make it quite so publically as Bristol did, however. Given that, I think she's displayed remarkable poise. If she's rather belatedly promoting abstinence to young girls after the horse is out of the barn . . .she has learned the hard way that it's better if other girls do not repeat her mistakes. If she's able to help even one olther girl avoid an unwanted pregnancy with an unworthy jerk of a partner, then she will have done some good in the world.

Bristol's not a saint, never claimed to be, but now that the beautiful baby is here, she's justifiably proud of him. How is that sanctimonious? Seems very natural to me.

I just pointed out that even a very confident young woman might feel a tad uncomfortable if forced to dress up like a hooker and roll around on the floor on live TV. One needn't be the Virgin Mary to be uncomfortable with that scenario. I was objecting to the very black and white terms that seem to be applied to Bristol more so than any of our other contestants . . She had a baby and now promotes abstinence, so she's a hypocrite. She's never danced or been on TV before in her life and she's supposed to take to high heels and seamed stockings and fondling a boy she barely knows on TV like a duck to water or else she's had a 'sad' upbringing where she has body dysmorphic disorder? Not. She's somewhere in the middle, like all of us . . .I don't think she deserves to be slammed for not being a natural at this. None of us would be.
    I happen to know quite a few successful actors and performing artists who wouldn't be caught dead on DWTS. Bristol chose to go on this show and will be criticized just as other reality show contestants are.

Talking constantly about abstinence and motherhood is hypocritical as far as I'm concerned unless one is the Virgin Mary. Bristol is not and perhaps she would give a different impression if she periodically talked about things other than abstinence and motherhood on DWTS. So far, those have been her main topics.

And, of course she will be judged for not being a natural dancer. This is a dance show!
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4082106;
    I happen to know quite a few successful actors and performing artists who wouldn't be caught dead on DWTS. Bristol chose to go on this show and will be criticized just as other reality show contestants are.

Talking constantly about abstinence and motherhood is hypocritical as far as I'm concerned unless one is the Virgin Mary. Bristol is not and perhaps she would give a different impression if she periodically talked about things other than abstinence and motherhood on DWTS. So far, those have been her main topics.

And, of course she will be judged for not being a natural dancer. This is a dance show!
    Who better to talk about abstinence and motherhood than someone who knows it from the other side. Someone who hasn't had her experience can talk until they are blue in the face, but what do they really know about the challenges and changes one has to face as a result of an unplanned teen pregnancy. It's one of those things that you may have the intellectual knowlege of without the experience, but only someone who has been there can talk about the realities. That isn't hypocritical in my book.

I'm sure she never expected this to be a walk in the park in regards to dancing or public/media perception. Now, if she did she truly does need to remove the blinders. I just feel that everything is very tentative with her dancing. It's like she's wrapped way too tight and just can't really let go.

Bristol's abstinence stance has been touched upon in some regard on every show -- by song choice, clips from her addresses to teens and what she herself has said. That makes it relevant. Other contestants are discussed regarding how they present themselves and so should Bristol.

Regarding the abstinence, I have discussed this several times before to the point that it's getting repetitive. I believe teens who have been successful at abstinence should speak about abstinence as a role model for other teens. I believe teens who have gone ahead, hooked up and gotten pregnant should be speaking about birth control IF you are hooking up or at least some sort of combination of the two.

Bristol speaks about abstinence-only and I find that hypocritical considering that she was unable to abstain. She is saying 'do as I say, not as I did' and rarely talks about birth control which would have been the best route for her to prevent pregnancy given the fact that she was hooking up.

Others may have a different view. This is mine.
    Last edited by chrisg; 10-12-2010 at 12:06 AM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

When my kids were in high school, they had a guy come around and do a motivational speech against drunk driving - he was a paraplegic who lost the use of his legs as a teen driving drunk. His stance was: "don't make the mistake I made," and it was graphic to the kids because they could see he knew what the consequences were to that mistake. I'd compare that similarly to Bristol. While she obviously loves her son, it would've been easier for her, and for her child, if he were to have been born into a family with two loving (hopefully even, gasp! married parents. At least, that's my belief. Therefore she speaks on abstinence. People can debate whether they feel abstinance is a viable goal, (though that topic might be better suited to debate in another forum,) but I feel she is no more hypocritical preaching that message than the paraplegic who spoke to my kids about not drinking and driving
    As I've said before, I don't "love Bristol" but she's done a credible job for someone who doesn't have any background in performing. And, while she for sure doesn't appear to have a big career ahead in show business, she's actually danced better than I expected.
    As an actress, Florence tends to "sell" her performance better (with the exception of tonight which was just "yuck" for me) and Karina's partner (who shall not be called by that stupid name) was actually a little endearing tonight. However, his dance was just b.a.d. So technically, I think Bristol's a hair ahead of those two and should go home after them but before the Kurts, Kyles, Brandys - basically anyone else in the show.
    They came to her and offered the opportunity and I can't imagine someone in her position would turn it down. I'm sure she won't be around much longer.

While I think it would be wonderful if all teens abstained I don't think it's realistic for most as many go on to have sex and too many are getting pregnant. Some are too afraid to tell their parents they need BC and others are too embarassed to buy condoms. I think we need to encourage children to be honest with themselves and their parents so they can protect themselves from pregnancy and disease.

I believe Bristol is sincere in the message she now preaches even though she chose a different road for herself. Maybe some teens will listen and not get pregnant. Teens often listen more to teens than adults so if it helps other kids I'm all for it. A small part of me fears that some will think they can get pregnant and end up on MTV or DWTS. This is how some teens think as their bodies are more developed than their brains. I hope they don't glorify Bristol's life based on where she is now versus listening to a vg message of waiting until you can deal with the ramifications of a young pregnancy.

I want Bristol gone after Flo and The Situation not based on who her mother is but because she's not as good as others. I wouldn't want her to stay because people are taking a political stand. Vote Bristol for Bristol not as a political statement. She was bought on the show due to who her mother is but she should be treated as an individual based on her own abilities. She deserves that.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Some more thoughts on what I'm finding to be an overall boring season. Jennifer's got it in the bag, so that's taking most of the enjoyment away, especially since my favorites seem to get picked to death in favor of the stunt casting and the non threats that won't snatch Derek away from his third trophy. I really don't get the appeal, or see why she's such a big deal for producers to have around. The two movies she's well known for weren't even make or break if she wasn't a part of it. She's got the most experience out of the cast, though not Nicole levels, but close enough. No surprise Derek gets the best AT music, either. I'm sure it's old for the other pros to see him get tongue bathed and 10s, especially since he acts like he's never heard it before. I wonder if he's practicing his reaction to when he wins.

I never thought Mark could get more obnoxious, but he's taken it to whole new levels. Nor did I think anyone could be more of a 'look at me' choreographer than Lacey, but glad the judges called him out. He needs to work with what he can with Bristol, and I feel like he's partly to blame for her lack of progress. I don't think she's a dancer or going to be great by any stretch, but it'd be interesting what a teacher like Louis could have done. Mike needs to go. Yesterday, last week, last month. Go back to Jersey. Kurt got absolutely screwed. I knew by going first and dancers like Bristol going later he would. He didn't deserve 5s by any stretch, and I feel like they are holding him back. He and Audrina aren't getting the credit they deserve in comparision to Bristol, Mike, Florence, and even Kyle. I think they're looking to have their last men standing be their Disney boy and Rick.

Kyle's shown no improvement. Same thing as week 1. I wouldn't have given him an 8. CA, as a woman of America, I don't want to nor need to see Mike's abs. It shows how inconsistant you stooges are when you critique (like you should) someone like Audrina to the finest detail, but can't completely tell Mike he sucks. That dance was little dancing and all lifts. Even Karina knew it sucked. Florence's rumba was something I don't ever need to see again. I hope this is the last time Corky appears on this show. He's too much, and can blame him for Mark and Derek's OTT all about me antics. The night was an overall bore, except for Brandy giving me a rumba that made me enjoy the dance, instead of putting me to sleep. I wish we got more judging and scoring like this, but not when it applies to some couples and others get a free pass.

This cast has been hard to get into. I cringe when they do rock n roll night, but did I hear Tom correctly that they're doing TV Themes? If so, I guess Florence won't be gone until she can tango to The Brady Bunch. The spring seasons usually trump the fall editions for me in terms of being enjoyable, but now I have the thought of Derek getting a 3peat this season, then possibly the show deciding they need to give one to Mark or Julianne next time if she returns (rather than pretending she might). I don't know if I could watch. All the pros have their fans, so it'd be nice for the show to remember some of us can't stand the golden trio (mostly by their own pimping).
    Last edited by karalott; 10-11-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Hikari:I agree. (this site wont let me quote for some reason)

And I would imagine she was 'encouraged' to appear on this show and probably thought she'd be much better than she has been when faced with the reality of cameras, judges,a live audience, and millions at home watching-- many who are waiting with baited breath for her to fail or give them something to make fun of. The reality of it all has (I would imagine) been unbelievably harder than she thought. Glad it's her and not me! My singing is not bad on karaoke night--- but put me in her situation and I know I'd freeze like a deer in the headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4082125;
    While I think it would be wonderful if all teens abstained I don't think it's realistic for most as many go on to have sex and too many are getting pregnant. Some are too afraid to tell their parents they need BC and others are too embarassed to buy condoms. I think we need to encourage children to be honest with themselves and their parents so they can protect themselves from pregnancy and disease.
    It has been proven in numerous studies that an abstinence-only education results in more pregnancies because teens who aren't able to abstain then aren't prepared with contraception. If Bristol didn't take an abstinence-only stance I wouldn't be as hard on her regarding calling her out but it is potentially dangerous hypocrisy when I strongly feel that what she should be telling teens is: 'Try to abstain and if you can't, be prepared'. Otherwise, it's the exact message that has statistically proven to result in more pregnancies. Case in point: Her mother has an abstinence-only stance and look at what happened with Bristol. Ok, so hopefully that's the last time I'll be bringing that up. And I do hope the show stops bringing it up, too.

Regarding Bristol's dancing she has potential but she hasn't really improved since the second week, I feel. So, she Mike and Flo should be the next to go, I think. I've enjoyed seeing her try, though, and she seems like a sweet person.

I've thought for weeks now it would be

1. Jennifer
    2. Rick
    3. Audrina

I wish Audrina would upset Jennifer, but the judges won't let that happen. Wouldn't it be great to see Tony get a well-deserved win though??
    Stay tuned for "Dancing with the Dancers"!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;4082144;
    I've thought for weeks now it would be

1. Jennifer
    2. Rick
    3. Audrina

I wish Audrina would upset Jennifer, but the judges won't let that happen. Wouldn't it be great to see Tony get a well-deserved win though??
    It'd be nice to see any pro not named Hough or Ballas win. But I guess that only happens every 6 seasons. Tony's more than earned, given the celebs he's had to deal with and the lumps he's taken in terms of having partners drop out or being injured. I'd love to see Maks or Anna finally win, because they, too, have earned it. They've had to deal with the horrible hoofers and getting critiqued to the smallest detail. I have to think it's annoying to the other pros to see what happens with Derek and his partners or winding up with someone controversial like Bristol that can't move. It's sad Kurt scored so low tonight. And tomorrow, Jennifer/Derek will probably get the encore, but pathetic Mike got it last week when there were much more deserving dances. And I really hate these theme nights/double score showdowns. Hopefully this "acoustic" night was a one time deal. The stage made me dizzy.

I'm guessing Jennifer for the win, and I was thinking possibly Rick, Kurt, Kyle, or Brandy rounding out the finals. Kurt can't seem to catch an easy break, and while Rick and Kyle have taken their lumps, they've been luckier than Kurt and getting more love from at least 2 of the judges. So right now I'm thinking they'll try and get Rick further. Mike and Florence will probably be the next two to go. It's been extremely predictable the last two eliminations, so it seemed like tonight the producers were trying to show a little suspense (since they're trying to make up the illusion that it's anyone's game).
    Last edited by karalott; 10-12-2010 at 01:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread