+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Ideas to improve the show:

FORT Fogey

Re: Ideas to improve the show:

Replace Carrie Ann, and stop her lift rule that seems to be her baby and not an issue for the other judges.

Replace Brook with a dance pro. Perhaps rotate this position with the most recently eliminated pro for the interview segment and let Tom do the hosting alone. No need for him to split this job; he can carry it easily.

Keep Bruno. I like him but a little direction to tone down a bit is needed.

Have dance pros demonstrate the dances that are to be judged and give a brief commentary on what they are looking for so when we watch we can focus on the foot work and postures that create a high score. It would be fun to guess what the judges are going to critique, as we watch them dance.

I don't think they are deluged with "stars" wanting to be on this show so I am resigned to some questionable choices. That is fine with me. I have no problem with using the word star in the title. This horse has been beaten to death. It is just verbal short hand for recognizable faces in the media. Let that go.

The results show could be 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I don't think they are deluged with "stars" wanting to be on this show so I am resigned to some questionable choices. That is fine with me. I have no problem with using the word star in the title. This horse has been beaten to death. It is just verbal short hand for recognizable faces in the media. Let that go.

I agree...and Dancing with Recognizable Faces in the Media (DWRFITM) just doesn't have the same ring to it...

FORT Fogey

Replace Carrie Ann, and stop her lift rule that seems to be her baby and not an issue for the other judges.

Replace Brook with a dance pro. Perhaps rotate this position with the most recently eliminated pro for the interview segment and let Tom do the hosting alone. No need for him to split this job; he can carry it easily.

Have dance pros demonstrate the dances that are to be judged and give a brief commentary on what they are looking for so when we watch we can focus on the foot work and postures that create a high score. It would be fun to guess what the judges are going to critique, as we watch them dance.

Tom could easily handle this job. They would break for the commercial, and when we come back live, we would see the contestants and Tom off in another spot where he would question them and wait for the score.

I would hate to see Bruno "bridled" anymore than he is this season. Tom already is cutting him off when he thinks Bruno is going over a time limit ( it appears to me). At any rate, Bruno's flowery comments are hilarious, and it is funny to watch Len try to get out of the way of Bruno's arms.

Either Carrie Ann has toned down on the lift business, or the contestants have gotten better about it, but we haven't heard it so much. Good riddance!
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Re: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by danesRfun View Post
    On another subject, I think it's time to admit that DWTS really is making a fool out of itself. The transparent grab at ratings with controversial political "stars" is truly desperation at play. They know their demographic tends toward the conservative seniors among the viewers and seem to have aimed about as low as they could to appeal to them. That will likely mean transient spikes in viewers, not a faithful following.

The quality of the competition and the dancing is being grossly neglected in favor of gimmicks. They bring on at least one "ringer" each season, and fix her up with Derek to fill the quota for "good dancing." In the meantime, they abandon all pretense of a true competition and just irritate the hell out of 90% of the other fans. They humiliate the few "stars" who are foolish enough to participate which will continue to lower the attractiveness of the show.

Increasingly, DWTS has revealed itself to be selling snake oil and to chase ratings by abusing the intelligence and good taste of its viewers. That combination didn't work for the Gong Show and it won't last forever for Dancing either. What a bummer to see so much potential for fine entertainment so badly produced. I think DWTS has "jumped the shark."
    I commented that I liked this post last December, and said I hoped the producers read it.....and I think they did! They chose a much more even cast of of "stars" this season, and the judges aren't berating those folks like they did last season (I'm looking at you, Bruno Anyone remember the Michael Bolton embarrassment?)

Anyway, this season has been so much more fun to watch! Now all they have to do is gently remove Brooke, and replace her with someone who actually wants to be there talking with the dancers, and who knows how to string together a few witty, impromptu sentences. It would be so wonderful to have someone in her spot who could engage in some light banter based on what we just saw on the dance floor, or how the stars are handling the increased pressure, or new dance moves or whatever. Ugh. Brooke just doesn't have it. Samantha never had it as well. Nick Lachay was great. Or, just give the whole show to Tom. He could do it easily.

shoepie: Have dance pros demonstrate the dances that are to be judged and give a brief commentary on what they are looking for so when we watch we can focus on the foot work and postures that create a high score. It would be fun to guess what the judges are going to critique, as we watch them dance.
    Great overall post, and especially the above. I could see them have 2 dance pros give a quick, 60-second dance preview using all the moves required for that particular dance, right before the competition starts that night. The audience will know what to look for......and it'll be a nice review for CA

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I think they could do away with the co-host business all together. They could get their critiques, Tom kills time by pimping one of ABC's shows as they make their way up to the celebquarium, have the camera pan up to the them as the judges get their scores, then intro the next couple and cut to a commercial. We don't need to hear every single time, every single week, every single couple: 'how was it out there' 'did you like the judges comments even though they totally shot you down' 'you know, when I did the show...' (though she hasn't said that once all season I think-maybe only Derek influences it? ). One of these days you'll get someone that'll beat Brooke to the punch and answer her standard questions before she even asks them I never thought I'd say this, but where's Cloris when you need her. It's not even Brooke's way of interviewing; it's just she has no personality. She acts bored with some couples, annoyed with others, and loves the rest. I never cared for her as a contestant, but I can't believe she was the best choice of all the names rumored to be in the mix for co-hosting.

CA did mention her lift the first episode to Petra but gave her a pass. I think I saw a lift during Petra's waltz this week, but CA didn't say anything, if there was one/she saw it. Petra could always blame it on the smoke machine if she did say anything Since we have the dance troupe, I wouldn't mind seeing the dances demonstrated. They used to do that in the early seasons. Wasn't it season 10 they had demos, and specifically pointed out elements that needed to be in the upcoming dances? We have 2 hours to kill on Monday, and an hour on Tuesday. We could put the dance troupe to work.

I really just like the feel of this season. No drama, all fun, everyone is pretty much equal, there's no clear front runner on who's obviously going to win (the first time I think since season 5).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I think they could do away with the co-host business all together. They could get their critiques, Tom kills time by pimping one of ABC's shows as they make their way up to the celebquarium, have the camera pan up to the them as the judges get their scores, then intro the next couple and cut to a commercial. We don't need to hear every single time, every single week, every single couple: 'how was it out there' 'did you like the judges comments even though they totally shot you down' 'you know, when I did the show...' (though she hasn't said that once all season I think-maybe only Derek influences it? ). One of these days you'll get someone that'll beat Brooke to the punch and answer her standard questions before she even asks them I never thought I'd say this, but where's Cloris when you need her. It's not even Brooke's way of interviewing; it's just she has no personality. She acts bored with some couples, annoyed with others, and loves the rest. I never cared for her as a contestant, but I can't believe she was the best choice of all the names rumored to be in the mix for co-hosting.

CA did mention her lift the first episode to Petra but gave her a pass. I think I saw a lift during Petra's waltz this week, but CA didn't say anything, if there was one/she saw it. Petra could always blame it on the smoke machine if she did say anything Since we have the dance troupe, I wouldn't mind seeing the dances demonstrated. They used to do that in the early seasons. Wasn't it season 10 they had demos, and specifically pointed out elements that needed to be in the upcoming dances? We have 2 hours to kill on Monday, and an hour on Tuesday. We could put the dance troupe to work.

I really just like the feel of this season. No drama, all fun, everyone is pretty much equal, there's no clear front runner on who's obviously going to win (the first time I think since season 5) .
    And that is precisely why next season will probably be hell on wheels! There is no drama. While I myself enjoy this season, that is not what reality television is typically about. I highly suspect that while there are some producers who are saying things out of one side of their mouths indicating how pleased they are that the viewers are happy with the line-up, etc., there are other behind the scene producers chomping at the bits planning what they can do next season to infuse a little more umph! and drama back into the show.
    I look next season for another ringer and either a political or worse a controversial religious figure in the line-up.
    I just don't trust them to leave a good thing alone.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

I think Carrie Ann was assigned to check for lifts, but I think it should be modified. If it's an obvious, planned lift, then penalize it. If a celebrity's foot comes off the floor for a moment or two, don't penalize it. Few of them would have the control to avoid that. Other than that, I don't have a problem with any of the judges.

Tanith Belbin would be a wonderful replacement for Brooke. in my opinion.

As for the cast, while I fervently hope the casting of ex-wives, political crooks, untalented offspring, and reality show participants will cease completely I doubt it. But, that's why I watch the show with remote in hand. I click it whenever they appear and it's why I stopped voting.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    As for the cast, while I fervently hope the casting of ex-wives, political crooks, untalented offspring, and reality show participants will cease completely I doubt it. But, that's why I watch the show with remote in hand. I click it whenever they appear and it's why I stopped voting.
    Oh I love to see reality stars on there because that is pretty much all I watch! How about a couple of famous chefs? Rob from Survivor would be fabulous. I would love that. I want Ali and Roberto! I even loved to watch Kate. I have to admit a train wreck is always welcome in my book (slinks off, tail between legs). What I don't like are celebs with dancing backgrounds. Skip the models and Disney stars, I never know them.

Carrie Ann bugs me on many levels as a judge. She seems to favor the male contestants and fawns all over them. Sometimes I know what she is going to say about a certain pair before she even opens her mouth. She has become that predictable. JMO
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

When it comes to the judges/scoring, I've seen it mentioned before, but after tonight I'll bring it up again: they need to explain their thought process more. Len hated Mark's VW but gave it an 8. Hines got rave reviews but got 8s (and a 7 I think?) I know Bruno's antics can be funny, but I think he needs to stay glued to his seat, and not try to undress every again. I'd like to hear actually constructive criticism on what a celeb can work on, versus a judge just saying they loved it or hated it and fill in with a bunch of rambling. And I really hate when they start interrupting each other/talk over each other.

Some weeks I feel like the judges are back in high school, with self proclaimed "cool kids" CA and Bruno teaming up against the wiser, but who they think is the spoil sport, Len.

+ Reply to Thread