+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Ideas to improve the show:

Re: Ideas to improve the show:

I like the idea of having the pros show the dances and highlight (freeze frame and name step/point it out) the things they are looking for. I would also like if they would show us the "mess-ups" after they are pointed out by the judges. Half the time I don't know what they saw that was wrong. It would be nice to see that so I could watch with a better eye.

I agree with mixing up the order. Each week, couples should rotate segments.

And Kelly Ripa would be perfect in the co-host role! Excellent suggestion.

But mostly, get rid of the singers! (and I use that term loosely) They are simply awful and detract from the performances we see. Nothing ruins a moment than a butchered rendition of _______ (fill in the blank).

And, one last thing. How about appropriate song choices to match the dance? I find it hard to see some of the dances coming together with such odd selections given to the pros.

That's my two cents...

FORT Fan

Kelly Ripa has said a few times that she would love to compete on the show, but as she has to appear live in New York every morning, there was no way she could swing it - especially with 3 school aged kids. If I'm not mistaken, she has been invited, but had to turn it down.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I really hope next season they drop the gimmicks and all the themes and go back to basic dancing. I'm not counting on it, and unless this insta-dance totally bombs, will probably make a return next time. I'm guessing they aren't doing the decade dances, which never made sense anyway, but I'd rather see that than some of the other things. The themes like rock week scream too much like all the song themes AI does, and hopefully the show never goes to the point of 'dancing to songs in the year you were born'.

For me, the excitement is lacking big time this season. DWTS is still my favorite, but this season is a big miss for me. I didn't have high expectations when the cast was announced, but was pleasantly surprised the first couple of weeks. That didn't last. It feel into that familiar pattern of editing in rehearsal packages, the judges being more OTT, cranky, cruel, and beligerant than usual, the familar pattern of the same pros doing well, lucking out with dance styles/song choices. I was annoyed at Derek having Jennifer as a partner, who came in with a big fanbase, has gotten sympathy, has experience (though not ringer level), and hit it off with the judges except a few weeks which were her turn to fail, but I'm beyond caring if she wins. There's no one to root for, no one to root against (though I'm still pulling for Brandy and Kurt, but not to the extent I've rooted for favorites in the past). Bristol, bless her heart, has gotten old and the joke's gone on too far. I give her credit for hanging in there and trying, but something about her has turned me off since the monkey dance. I'm over the stunt casting and wish for once they'd cast people who all have a chance. And not make it so predictable. After Hasselhoff, it was obvious the next few weeks who was going.

For next season, I wouldn't mind seeing certain dances replaced and old ones brought back/new ones added. I'm bored to tears watching the rumba, and miss the mambo and salsa. SCD and other versions have the American Smooth, which ours hasn't done yet. I don't want to see any lambadas or hustles, but maybe bringing back the Charleston or something like that. I'd love for them to mix up the order, instead of doing the cha cha first, quick step second, etc. Since they've had story week (and I don't see why they need 3 dances for that), TV/movie theme week, rock week, and now insta-dance, I'm betting some of the above will probably get replaced by another gimmick next season. I'd most love to see what the show was up until season 6, throwing in season 8. I guess I can give up hoping Brooke gets replaced or we get decent singers. Or that CA decides to find some other venture (Bruno I can still tolerate). I'm all for proper songs (as close as they can) for the dances. I remember the days when foxtrots were danced to slower ballads rather than the Black Eyed Peas. Of course we had tangos going back to season one danced to Britney Spears and later to Rick Springfield and Nelly Furtado.

Tia, Kelly and her husband have both been invited to appear, but for the reasons you stated turned the show down. I heard Sherri Shepard has been asked but turned them down for the same reason. Maybe DWTS can have a season in NYC and open the casting pool a little more.

Well short of canning it and starting over with a different show? Gut it.

Get rid of the ridiculous and useless Carrie-Ann/Bruno and bring in some of our old favorite pros who are never on the show anymore. Edyta and/or Alec would be great judges! Plus I can look at their combined pretty and be perfectly happy.

No need for a second host, ditch Brooke.

Get rid of the wonder trio of Derek, Mark, and Juliann (although she wasn't there but the result would be the same if she were) or truly even the playing field so that the other pros have a chance to win.

No more singing, let's do this as instrumentals from now on so we don't have to hear the horrible screeching of Princess Sparkle and her crew anymore. They always ruin the dance for me and while we are talking about music, pick songs appropriate to the dance!

They can't do anything about getting better celebs because the good ones wouldn't touch this show for anything, until they cleaned it up a bit and then they'd probably have to beat them off with a stick.

Finally, get rid of the ridiculous themes. Movie night, eras, marathon, etc really do nothing other than give the judges an excuse to prop up the lagging favorites while smashing down the underdogs who are rising to the top.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I feel like Brandy's been built up as the front runner, so it can be a "surprise" if she loses or gets voted off, even if the votes behind the scenes said that would happen all along. Jennifer's had some bad editing clips with the "pressure" getting to her, her injuries hampering her (until she does splits and gets on the dance floor), and now tomorrow she has the rumba as her insta-dance, and next week the waltz and cha cha leading into the finals. So I'm predicting the comeback I've figured was coming all along for her. And Derek may very well bag his third trophy Since he and Julianne have bragged about their wins, and one of them getting a 3rd trophy, my next guess is that Derek loses this season, Julianne returns next season, and they both wind up in the finals going up against each other so they can brag on twitter they're the only 3x winners of the show. Maks is my favorite, and I also enjoy Tony, Louis, Anna, Jonathan, Chelsie, Kym and I've missed Dmitry. I wouldn't mind seeing some one time pros get another shot, and maybe build a fanbase of their own, since thhat seems to matter in the voting.

I vote for Drew to come back and serve as a host and judge. For the 2 seconds he had as guest judge, I felt he did better than CA has in 11 seasons. And served as a much better co-host than Samantha, who was a step up from Brooke. An msnbc article I read said they should use rotating co-hosts and pick former pros and contestants. I say no to the contestants, but am all for the pros. At the very least, if they keep Brooke, give her some decent lines to read. She can't wing it, and if she is reading a teleprompter, she can't do that, either.

Before they started doing themed nights, they always used songs from movies, TV shows, rock songs, etc, and didn't need to dedicate a whole week to it. I'd also like to see the order shuffled every week; no saving the stunt casting for last, or near last, every time, while making the same couples go early. Don't blame America for voting a certain way when the 3 Stooges are harder on a couple than they should be. Which brings me to them being more consistant. Let's have them be equal to everyone. If someone nails it out of the mark, even with a minor mistake, don't nitpick and ding them, while someone else gets dragged around the floor and danced around and gets 7s for it. CA said on twitter that she judges people based on their ability, which I call BS on. They don't need to be mean or disgustingly nice, but they can be straight up.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4099713;
    Well short of canning it and starting over with a different show? Gut it.

Get rid of the ridiculous and useless Carrie-Ann/Bruno and bring in some of our old favorite pros who are never on the show anymore. Edyta and/or Alec would be great judges! Plus I can look at their combined pretty and be perfectly happy.

No need for a second host, ditch Brooke.

Get rid of the wonder trio of Derek, Mark, and Juliann (although she wasn't there but the result would be the same if she were) or truly even the playing field so that the other pros have a chance to win.

No more singing, let's do this as instrumentals from now on so we don't have to hear the horrible screeching of Princess Sparkle and her crew anymore. They always ruin the dance for me and while we are talking about music, pick songs appropriate to the dance!

They can't do anything about getting better celebs because the good ones wouldn't touch this show for anything, until they cleaned it up a bit and then they'd probably have to beat them off with a stick.

Finally, get rid of the ridiculous themes. Movie night, eras, marathon, etc really do nothing other than give the judges an excuse to prop up the lagging favorites while smashing down the underdogs who are rising to the top.
    Amen to everything you have said. Although some vocals to traditional music would be good.
    Last edited by Beehive; 11-08-2010 at 08:32 PM.

I vote to get rid of insta-dance. Even though it didn't bomb, it was pointless hype that went nowhere. It didn't help watching everyone on quad cams and Brooke interviewing them about what they thought. The songs, at least, fit the dance styles. CA loved it, and hopes it lasts out of all the twists because it added an edge. I sort of see the point, but think if they did it next season, it'll lose that edge. The pros will know what's coming, as will the celebs. However, I expect it to be back. I wish they'd quit with the themes. I'm worried what they'll come up with next season.

I vote once again to have more consistant judging and scores fitting the dance. The problem with giving such high scores, right out of the gate every season, is when someone gets a 3 (usually deserved), it's unfair and the judges being mean. Bristol deserved scores that low for her samba. There was practically no dance, a lot of shimmying, and Mark outdancing her. They need to either cut the other couples who can actually pull it together and put together a competant routine some slack for a minor mistake if they overlook a worse couples flaws, or admit why they're nitpicking someone to death. I don't think the judges have annoyed me as much as they have this season.

I would love to see the pros and stars mixed up after a while or let's say for the first four weeks they all mix it up and then the eliminations start with two at a time until they catch up. It's such a lot of work for these people only to get booted off the first week. Also it seems extra humiliating. Mixing up the pros for a dance with a different star would eliminate a lot of the angst with certain people always getting good partners and it would also be a lot of fun to see how differently they interacted with other pros. Then at some point all could be returned to the original casting. I truly believe that Derek could get more out of Bristol than Mark is getting. Mark is very nice and seems to indulge her insecurities whereas I don't think Derek would put up with that and would push her more.

FORT Fan

They need to stop grading on the curve. Just because someone doesn't suck as badly as they usually do, doesn't mean they get to be only 1 or 2 points behind far superior dancers. Jennifer's dance that got her a 6, if I remember correctly, was still many, many times better than any dance of Bristol's that got an 8. It's a joke and it insults my intelligence, and I am offended enough to turn the show off for the rest of the season.

Lose the gimmicks. I am a creature of habit = I like familiarity. I'm not some ADHD viewer that needs the newest, shiniest gimmick to hold my attention. Nor do I need manufactured controversy, showmance rumours or scripted storylines like "The Underdog", "Overcoming Injuries" etc.

If the show goes back to good (not stunt) casting, dedicated professionals that remember it's about their partner, not them, solid routines, and loses the marathons, insta-dances, the dance-offs and the transparently manipulated finals, I'd be happier.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4101015;
    I vote to get rid of insta-dance. Even though it didn't bomb, it was pointless hype that went nowhere. It didn't help watching everyone on quad cams and Brooke interviewing them about what they thought. The songs, at least, fit the dance styles. CA loved it, and hopes it lasts out of all the twists because it added an edge. I sort of see the point, but think if they did it next season, it'll lose that edge. The pros will know what's coming, as will the celebs. However, I expect it to be back. I wish they'd quit with the themes. I'm worried what they'll come up with next season.

I vote once again to have more consistant judging and scores fitting the dance. The problem with giving such high scores, right out of the gate every season, is when someone gets a 3 (usually deserved), it's unfair and the judges being mean. Bristol deserved scores that low for her samba. There was practically no dance, a lot of shimmying, and Mark outdancing her. They need to either cut the other couples who can actually pull it together and put together a competant routine some slack for a minor mistake if they overlook a worse couples flaws, or admit why they're nitpicking someone to death. I don't think the judges have annoyed me as much as they have this season.

Obviously, the producers were hoping it would bomb and therefore produce drama. However, it didn't bomb, and after thinking about it, all of us (including the producers themselves) should realize it wouldn't bomb because the pros are used to having that format in competitions. It wasn't something new to them, and since the pros are the ones who drive the routines anyway,
    the insta-dance was not a problem for them.

+ Reply to Thread