+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Ideas to improve the show:

FORT Fogey

Re: Ideas to improve the show:

I saw a list somewhere on some site, wish I could remember, that listed the pros what they won, their best dances, and their overall strengths. I feel that a rotation of pros with their styles being utilized by them with the stars would work.

For instance if a pro is the current jive champion than they do jive with all the celebrities of the opposite sex. Cheryl clearly stated the AT was her dance, so have her do it with all the stars. I think than the star would be voted on and not the pro, and it would be more fair. Every week the fans and judges could vote for their favorite pro dance and at the end of the season the pro with the most wins could get a trophy, and the star that was voted through would get the trophy.
    karalott and Dahlia97 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1945 View Post
    I wonder the same thing. I actually have a friend who was able to get tickets and go two weeks ago to the result show. I'm going to ask her if they do that.
    I was waiting for your post to say if they do or not.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Since the season is almost done, I think it's time to give this thread a boost. I absolutely loved the premiere and thought we were really in for a treat this season. I loved the fact that everyone had actually had some ounce of rhythm and could dance. Even the worst dancers this season didn't compare to the worst we've seen in the past (Master P, Kate, Steve Wozniack, and, god love him, Carson). But the season went downhill for me by week 4.

I guess we'll get the obvious out of the way, even though it won't happen: fire Carrie Ann and Bruno. Even Len seems to be out of it this season. He sounds scripted. He's gone to the darkside. So get rid of them all and start over with actual ballroom dancers who are going to actually critique the performances and judge them accordingly. You do a Bollywood samba that isn't a samba, even if it was danced well, makr it down. I think the pros can still come up with fascinating and entertaining routines without going away from the core of the dance. I'm over all the "we're taking a risk but we'll still pout if the judges don't like it!". I'm all for what they did in season 10 that one week, where they scored the dance on entertainment and on technique. Maybe tell the judges you can whip the 9 and 10s out for entertainment, but actually know your stuff for the ballroom technique and make use of paddles 1-5. Sometimes I wonder if they even have those paddles anymore. Oh, and on the subject of replacing the judges, I nominate Louis van Amstel It's been a joy reading his blogs. Along with the pros sticking to the rules and creating fun routines, I think the judges can be entertaining but still give honest constructive criticism. Without acting like Bruno and CA where poor William will probably need a restraining order after this season.

Cut the favoritism. And can we see scores that match the dance? If someone messes up, and someone else doesn't, why does the person who messed up get a higher score? They've raved about some of Donald's dances in the beginnings, but then totally low ball him when he's been one of the best. I could care less at this point anymore about the best dancer winning or advancing, but Donald has earned his spot in the finals. But again, they have paddles ranging from 1-10. Doesn't mean they have to use 6-10 from week one until now, or keep everything close just because. They make it so obvious every season (even sometimes with my own favorites) with the way they score and ignore mistakes with some couples, but try and find the tiniest flaw with someone else. It needs to go back to being about the celeb, not their pro. If they stink, fine, great. If the are good enough to earn 9s week 1, make them really work for them in the coming weeks. I think they've spoiled the pros over the seasons, who now expect those kind of scores, and they spoiled the celebs this season by hyping up how great and competitive a cast it was and giving them high scores right off the bat. I don't think anyone was good enough for 9s the first few weeks, and 7s and 8s were pushing it for some. Other version dare pull out their 1 paddle. Maybe we need to swap CA for those judges. Can we call the pros out for zero content and letting their celebs down, or for them overdancing and mugging? Len let Dmitry have it many times season 9, if memory serves me correctly, even though CA and Bruno loved him and Mya.

Get rid of the theme weeks, fog machines, and props. I'd still like to know how that all works-if they make some couples do it even if they don't want to, or if a couple has an idea they want to execute with the fog machine or certain props, but they say no and let another pro have it. I also would like to see the team dances done away with, just because that format has gotten stale. Same with the marathon dance, relay dances, and anything else. It's supposed to be a fun, cheesy dance show. It seems to get more miserable with each passing season, the dances are lacking compared to the early years (I think I remember a total of 4 dances done this season. Season 2? I remember practically every one), and everyone is getting injured and stressed out. They may lose out on potential celebs who don't think the risk of injury or getting embarrassed by the 3 stooges is worth it. The trio concept is a keeper, but they'll probably find a way to mess that up. The only theme week worth keeping is classical week for me, even though this year's classical week theme wasn't nearly as good as season 12.

And these aren't exactly show elements, but can we give poor Tony a contender, and forget about Sabrina Bryan? Can we just get over the whole 'shocking eliminations'? Maybe they aren't so shocking. I don't believe that someone can take a huge dip like that when there's still so many couples left.

And as much as I love Maks, Tony, Anna, Chelsie, Kym, and sometimes Cheryl and Karina, if they are going to clean house, I'd like to see a bunch of new pros brought in, and hopefully pros that don't let the fame of the show go to their head and take over where some of the overdancing and mugging pros left off. I've enjoyed seeing Peta's choreography with Donald, what Val did with his short time with Sherri, and I'd love to see Tristan get a younger partner next season.

I agree with you, Karalott that they need new judges. I think new judges, who actually judge the dancers AND the dance, will put a stop to the mugging and overdancing by pros. I don't mind some props, but I hate the fog machines and the flashing lights on the floor.

Also, whoever picks the music needs to pick music that actually goes with the dance. The music should enhance the experience, not irritate me :-).

And no more winner takes all, etc., if the person you want to win is not a fan favorite, don't hire them.

It will never get better and will get only worse until they rid themselves of Carrie Ann Inaba. Bruno also, but she's even worse. As several here have mention, make Louis a judge. Ron Montez would be another superb judge, imo.

I agree with GabbyG that the music needs to suit the dance. A tango should be danced to a tango, a rumba to a rumba, a waltz to a waltz, etc. There's is an awful lot of appropriate music that's in the public domain by now, too.
    karalott and keithensoma like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Fire the producer along with CA, Bruno, Brooke and please dump the little mugger Mark too. Show viewer votes (I want to see numbers not BS) and stop the lifts that cause injuries. Let the pros draw names for their celebrity partner. Stop the favoritism it's starting to get old.

FORT Newbie

Take the paddles away from the judges. Let them critique like they do on Idol but not score the couples.
    karalott likes this.

FORT Fanatic

Would it make for a boring evening to have all the dancers do the same dance, thus allowing a fair comparison to how the dancers truly perform against each other?
    For example, I think it's easier to judge a fast number where we can see all the movements but a little harder to fairly judge a number when the dancers have on long dressees and smoke covering their feet. Just a thought.
    karalott, ness and DancingDad like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mslady View Post
    Would it make for a boring evening to have all the dancers do the same dance, thus allowing a fair comparison to how the dancers truly perform against each other?
    For example, I think it's easier to judge a fast number where we can see all the movements but a little harder to fairly judge a number when the dancers have on long dressees and smoke covering their feet. Just a thought.
    During the Olympics ice dancing, all of the couples have to do the exact same dance in the exact same pattern to the exact same music. That does get a little boring after awhile, BUT I'd love to see all of the dancers on DWTS having to do the exact same dance against each other every week . . . one week, all Rumba; another week, all Viennese Waltz. They should have one of the pro dancers demonstrate the main points of each dance first, so we can all judge for ourselves how well the contestants are doing.
    karalott and mushybrain like this.

I've said this once before but don't remember if it was in this thread....

Have the pro change "stars" every week. That way the pro's fan base never comes into play with the voting. All the pros would have a stake in each celebrity being successful throughout the season....or not.

Would it make for less chemistry with the "couples"? Maybe. But, at least the "star" participants would be judged on their talent in learning and presenting a dance and we can vote accordingly.

When the mirror ball trophy is awarded the final two "stars" are standing alone with ALL the pros behind them considering they all helped the person get to the finale.

Oh, and get some new judges each year. Possiby DWTS past or present pros who aren't participating in the competition during that cycle.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 05-16-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    karalott likes this.

+ Reply to Thread