+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Ideas to improve the show:

Re: Ideas to improve the show:

Doing shots for every time Brooke asks "how does that make you feel?".

I have long promoted rotating pros. Perhaps a high scorer has the chance to steal another pro or be the one to pick first. It would be fun. They could not eliminate anyone that week and perhaps two the next. Something to spread the burden around of the clunkers.

Concerning our precious and valuable seniors over 75 perhaps they could do guest spots and dances but not be actually in the competition. That is just sort of awkward and not fair to anyone including them.

I wouldn't want to see any change of judges. I love Len, he is funny in that straight man kind of way and the other two, warts and all are better than a too serious change of judges, at least to me. CA could drop the stupid lift obsession because clearly those are not lifts, if you hoist someone up in the air intentionally making them leave the earth that is a lift, if your foot leaves the ground for a split second because of velocity, that is not a lift. Got it CA? Not rocket science...accusing them of doing a "lift" when it was not an intentionally inserted stunt is just making her look stupid....

The only reason I hesitate for them to replace Brooke is because they don't have a very good track record on these types of shows with coming up with something better. I would be afraid they would bring on someone like Kathy Griffin or someone awful like that... Brooke did well as a dancer but this job is just too intimidating for her or something, she really is making a fool of herself, it's actually kind of sad...
    Last edited by Tobi; 05-25-2011 at 08:16 PM.

I'm not in favor of rotating pros within a season. It takes pro partners years to gel as a pair. You can't ask an amateur to adjust to a new pro within a season, or vice versa, unless there's an injury involved. They need to build their relationship, their style, and method of teaching.

I also have no objection to the over 70's going for it if they want to. There have been some I didn't want to watch, but several seniors whom I've loved.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

How about more transparency in everything, such as how the dance order is set, how the songs are assigned, etc.?

For example, how about they draw dance order from a hat? Or treat it like many sports, the team that scores highest in the first round gets to go last in the next round?

Or let the high scoring couples have first pick of the songs.

Convince us you are not manipulating the results and us.

How about a detailed score card posted online for the judge's scores? In most subjective competitions the judges are not giving a single score, they are marking a number of categories, like technical execution, muscial expression, creativity, and these are combined into an overall score. I don't want to see these sub-scores during the show, but add some credibility to the system by actually making the judges provide some detailed comments.

My vote, dump CA, dump Bruno, dump Mark, leave Derek wherever he is now, get rid of the singers (the musicians are good, though), dump Brooke. KEEP Tom, keep the other pros, keep Len. (seems to be the theme and I'm on board).
    My other vote: send a link to this suggestion forum to the producers!
    "Grammar is the bus that carries the words, without it they have to walk, and get very confused on the way." Unknown

"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Concerning our precious and valuable seniors over 75 perhaps they could do guest spots and dances but not be actually in the competition. That is just sort of awkward and not fair to anyone including them.
    I agree with this, but to a point. Age -as we saw with Kirstie, is a number. One can still be quite flexible and active at even 75 or older. It's just the endurance issue you have to factor in.

Example, Dick Van Dyke, at 85, can dance with the best of them even now. He even did a variation of hip-hop during the end credits of "Night at the Museum."

That said, he's said that he's been offered a chance to dance on this show, but chose not to because he'd have to do a new dance every week, and that can be taxing on anyone.

I totally respect that, and hope that "DWTS" would take the offer of him dancing as a guest in a show one time while we still have him.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    Note: If they do decide to dump Brooke they should look back at the tapes of Skating with the Stars and bring in Tanith Belbin. She was wonderful. Caution: heed note 4 re the interview guidance.
    I agree - Tanith was wonderful in that show, even though it will not be back a second season. There is a reason why she and her partner won that silver in ice dancing a few years ago - and this is one with her love of the sport and knowledge (and obviously the personality).

Plus, I think she'd have a good chemistry with Tom - though I think she'd end up the straightman almost to Tom (who is a straightman in his own right).

Definitely keep Tom no matter if they ever did change the hosting - and if they had to get rid of a judge - I'd go Carrie Ann (who has been too obsessive with lifts that may not be lifts), the Bruno (if he has issues reigning in his innuendo).

Oh... this is one way to improve the show - require Bruno to take lessons on the English language and more importantly, words that are seen as innuendo slang (i.e. pussy) so he doesn't insult a dancer like he did this year. I have a feeling that if say Karina had been teamed up with a lot less restraint than Ralph we may have seen the first ever "We're experiencing technical difficulties" on the network in a very long time.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I'm in complete agreement with every suggestion here. I never watched Rockstar, but I'm assuming that was mostly a live show, just like DWTS? When Tom interviewed Brooke last week about her freestyle, she came across as competent and relaxed. Being interviewed rather than interviewing, the words seemed to flow easily from Brooke's mouth and made her seem as good as any entertainment correspondent whose segments are pre-taped. I don't know, I've heard she wings it and that she has cue cards she reads off of. TV Guide had a couple of comments from users this week where they basically said DWTS needs to either get rid of her or give her a crash course Interview 101. She's gotten worse every season. Now this season, asking contestants questions they already answered, being oblivious when a subject comes up they don't want to talk about, and not being able to call a coin toss? I used to get annoyed when she would cut couples off in the middle of interviews. I did notice, without Derek around, she didn't seem to mention as much she's done this show. What's the point of Brooke? They need to get someone better or get rid of the position all together.

Judges: I would love a complete overhaul, but I'm dreaming. I'm also dreaming that TPTB would ask the judges (namely CA and especially Bruno) to tone down their actions. Bruno's very arrogant when he's been called out over disrespectful comments he made, acting as though anyone who had an issue needs to grow up, including the couple in question. I used to think CA was the worst of the 3 stooges panel, but I now put Bruno in that spot. CA isn't far behind, though. They need to be more consistant with the scoring. If a dance that goes first deserves 9s, give it 9s. Don't low ball it so you're not giving it the due it deserves just to prevent those paddles from coming out. If a dance at the end deserves the lowest score, give it the lowest score. Make the couples earn their way up the leaderboard. And don't ooh and aww over a ringer, as thought s/he just learned to be that good in a few weeks. Make the ringers especially earn their high marks. And I'm fine without having anyone that has the experience of Mya or Nicole on. This season proved they can find a potential-building worthy pool. I hope we've also seen the end of controversial stunt casting of reality show tabloid fixtures or politicians. The show never needed it, and this season did just fine without it. It's ratings will likely never be higher than when Bristol was on, and it's more likely to turn more people off the next time around. Back to Bruno, he needs to learn to speak better English when he gives his critiques. Rambling and muttering on when you can't understand half of what he's saying, feeling himself up, jumping out of his seat, flailing his arms...yeah, it got old a looong time ago. He also needs to cut all the sexual references and drooling. It was an embarrassment how he acted during Kendra's samba, and crossing the line with the comment he directed at Karina (not to mention saying something about Ralph wearing diapers).

Dances: I think the producers got bored of the dance troupe quicker than the audience. Aside from their big introductory week, they didn't seem to be used to referenced much in the end. So if they decide to have them return, why not have them do the dance demonstrations? I'm all for that. I'm all for creative, original, fun choreography, but not if it goes beyond breaking the rules and has costumes, gimmicks, and props that take away from the actual dance. I want to go back to 2 dances a week, getting rid of any theme weeks, hopefully no WTA in the future, getting rid of team dances, relay dances, judges rankings. And I want more of a variety of styles. Didn't seem like we had much this season, and I'm beyond over seeing another cha cha for awhile.

Pros: I'd be fine with rotating pros. I kind of hope Derek isn't back next season, and really hope we've seen the end of Mark for awhile. Or, at the very least, they give him a partner that takes him out early. I'm really ready to see someone new win besides the usual suspects. It's been awhile since Tony made it far. I'd love to see Chelsie get another fun partner that can dance and she can maybe make the finals with. Even though Anna had two lucky runs, I'd be fine seeing her win next season. Same with Louis and Maks. I wouldn't mind seeing Mark and Lacey gone, and though they grew on me this season, wouldn't really miss Cheryl or Dmitry. The pros need to remember the show is about showcasing their celeb, not them, and they both need to listen and work together. Chelsea had a lot of reservations about some of their dances, but Mark didn't care and did things his way. The judges need to be consistant in calling him out when he overshadows his partner, or doesn't do the dance according to the rules.

FORT Fogey

Oh... this is one way to improve the show - require Bruno to take lessons on the English language and more importantly, words that are seen as innuendo slang (i.e. pussy) so he doesn't insult a dancer like he did this year. I have a feeling that if say Karina had been teamed up with a lot less restraint than Ralph we may have seen the first ever "We're experiencing technical difficulties" on the network in a very long time.

Imagine what would have happened if he'd made the pussy remark to Kirstie in front of Maks. I'm pretty sure Maks would not have remained silent. Don't think Kirstie would either, but then neither did Karina.

I also vote for Bruno not being allowed to jump up out of his chair more than twice a show. He does it so often now that it doesn't add any emphasis to his praise at all. And for heaven's sake, make him say something about the actual dance instead of just blurting out weird sexually charged similes.
    NFL1 likes this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Since I feel this is about the worst season ever, I guess it's time to dust this thread off (and most of these are ideas have already been expressed, but need to be repeated):

1) Fire Brooke, hire Carson. The show would be crazy not to use Carson in some (large) context. I know hoofers get used for filler segments in seasons after their's, but I've never really known the show to use booted off contestants while the season they were on is still going. I haven't really watched Brooke during Monday's show, but on Tuesdays, it seems like she got a fire lit under her. Maybe the Carson effect and being jeered in TV Guide has made her a tad nervous for her job. She hasn't improved, but she seems more life like than she has since she started this gig. Also, can we get some new music, instead of using the same songs over and over again?

2) Kill the theme nights, even if they need a theme night for the occasion. Doing one or two a season was enough, but doing one every.single.week. And I'm over the story week/dedication week/best year of my life theme weeks. I wish they'd bring back classical week instead of having the "best band in the business" butcher beloved TV theme songs and movie classics. Maybe the singers got a little huffy over classical week being such a hit because they weren't singing?

3) Shake up the judging panel. Okay, I can dream, but I question what this show has done for the judges egos and whether they really think it's all about them, whatever they say is right and should go. They need to be more consistant with their comments and scores. And score what's appropriate. I think CA is crazy to start everyone off at 10 and work her way down as she dings them. Considering they're learning to dance (minus the ringers), wouldn't it make more sense to start them all off at one and make them actually work? Crying, playing favorites, Bruno shouting off offensive metaphors that have nothing to do with the actual dance, Len being grumpy and the light dimming as he was my only hope at actually judging...the judges need a shake up. They need their 8, 9, and 10 paddles taken away for the first half of the season. They need to offer actual criticism, and not let whoever the pro is, or the family of a celeb, or worrying about being PC cloud their judgement. CA needs to reel in her hormones and realize she's not 18 anymore. I'll also comment (again), about the judges table being off limits during the dancing.

4) Bring in new pros. I don't want to see my favorite pros take off for a season (Maks, Tony, Anna, Kym, and I'm still missing Louis and Chelsie), but it might do the show some good to bring in new pros to give us new choreography, new personalities, and might eliminate any judges bias/favoritism, or what advantage the pros fanbase might give their celeb, even if their dancing is mediocre. I'd prefer to see non-crossovers from other shows. And give the new pros a chance-at least give them a celeb that can last a few weeks.

5) Chaz was nice, Carson was hysterical, but I could really care less about seeing celebs clunk around the floor and be given rave reviews by the judges, while celebs that are trying, or who are better, get dinged on minor flaws and wind up equal to their overal score, or a point or two off. Chaz couldn't dance, and giving him anything above a 5 was being too nice. Nancy's jive was a nightmare, and they might as well have given it 10s if they were going to give it 7s. And where was Len telling her that was her worst dance of the season? Why do comments like that qualify for one celeb, but not another. I'd rather see non ringers, but people who are more on equal footing in terms of dancing and fanbases. Obviously you get surprises once in awhile like J.R., Kyle, and Gilles, but for the most part, people expected to do well on popularity do, even if they aren't the best dancer. I liked season 12 because the worst dancers left first, and everyone else was pretty equal in terms of not dragging their partner across the floor or stomping to the music. I'd like to be at this point in the season and not already know who the final 2 is going to be. It'd be nice to not know it week 2. Also, casting people for controversy did them no good this season in terms of ratings, so hopefully next season, we don't get Michael Lohan, Tareq Salahi, and some cast off from the Jersey Shore.
    TIA__MA likes this.

^^^ Yeah, that.

I especially agree with you about dumping those horrid theme nights and bringing in some new pros. As much a I love Maks and several of the others, the show would survive without them. We've said goodbye to other very popular pros and the show is still fine.

CA needs to GO. Period. She adds nothing and clearly has very little ballroom dance knowledge. At least Bruno, for all his bizarre comments, makes constructive remarks as well. Brooke is the worst and she needs to go now. I thought Samantha was bad, but Brooke makes her look like Christiane Amanpour. They need to pick a co-host using criteria other than "Looks great in an evening gown." Carson would be a great choice. I thought Drew Lachey did a great job when Samantha was on maternity leave.

They're always going to cast people who can't dance. It's just the way this show is, BUT, they can definitely stop giving them 7's and 8's for clomping around the stage.

I'd love it if the audience didn't boo the judges for every tiny little critical remark. I know that probably will never NOT happen, but it annoys the hell out of me. Unless the judges are all rainbows and unicorns, the audience flips out.
    karalott and Fanny Mare like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread