+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Ideas to improve the show:

Re: Ideas to improve the show:

As I recently posted in another thread:

"I really despise that there is no half scoring. There is a huge difference beteen 8>8.5 and 9.5>10. Without having .5's, they are dumbing down the accuracy of what they really think of the routines (IMO the majority of 10's should be 9.5 and 10s should only be for the mindblowing stuff).

The short lived Skating With The Stars had scoring right as well: one score for technique, another for character/personality. They should change their dated system already."

Also I would also like to see them ALL given the same dance style one week or two. Then you will see who really excels by comparing apples to apples (I mean come on... jives vs waltzes? that isn't right!)

Another thing I want to see is the contestants FORCED to answer the damn questions given to them. The pros usually change the subject with "I'm so proud of you" or "We try so hard". However some of the contestants give much better answer honestly and consistently, like Chelsea didn't pipe back with only "We all try so hard", she was like "I don't know who is the biggest competition and that's why everybody is... I love you all and hate you at the same time!" and Kirstie admitted she kinda forgot her routine while in it. I like honest answers that are not a throwaway.

I like Bruno, and frankly I agree with him a lot. Ok, so he prioritizes the performance more than the technical ability, but I do love listening to him and come on... he's the ONLY interesting judge where you can't predict what he's gonna say ("VAMPIRE lovers!" "Give me sex man!" etc) Len is usually restrained snoozefest, it's all about being prim, proper, taking no chances and technical ability first, CA is usually the link between Bruno and Len, harps on the technical when it's really out of order, but also has emotional gushing and sweet tooths/slight bias for male celeb dancers.
    Last edited by Endit; 05-19-2011 at 04:48 AM.

FORT Fogey

Introduce the 11 paddle! But only for the final week! They inflate the scores week by week and in the end, everyone ends up with 9s and 10s. Give the really, really good dances an 11! How about some more new pros too?

Oh yeah, how about whoever has the highest score every week gets immunity like Survivor!? If you got the highest score then you deserve to be safe! If there is a tie then the judges vote for who they think the top spot is or a dice wil be rolled for immunity. Brandy could have been spared, let alone many other dancers.

Actually we can extend this concept to fit more traditional reality shows where only the bottom 3 are considered for elimination. I think that would be the best thing actually. If you are the "underdog" for so long then perhaps you just aren't that good. If you want the free ride then you're gonna really have to make bank with your fans.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    I personally think a two-hour results show is ridiculous. I've found myself tuning in for only the last 15 minutes, as the rest of it is fluff and commercials for the most part, and I find it annoying. JMHO.
    I never watch it. I tune in the the final few minutes only to see who was voted off.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I don't think having judges scores makes it any fairer, except it might do the underdog a favor by having people vote for him/her. What I most want to see changed is nothing new:

1) Better music that's more suited to the dance styles (I think Ralph picked their paso song, but Everybody Dance Now? For a paso?) I'm still waiting for the day we get 'I'm Too Sexy' for a VW.
    I have seen a pro dance competition - a world one at that - do a waltz (not sure if Venetian) to that one headbanger type song that has "Here we are now, entertain us" somewhere. If it wasn't waltz, it was tango, which still didn't fit the steps. It was good though, so good it won I think first in one portion of the contest.

But I do agree with you - they need better music for the dance styles.

FORT Fogey

1. I would like to see the voting system held accountable weekly to an independent firm.

This idea that they wouldn't dare fudge on the votes doesn't hold water with me. I think through the weeks, they would and sometimes do.

We vote. Let the chips fall.... If a couple that the producers don't want to leave quite yet doesn't get enough votes, well that is the just the way the viewers voted. I think there may be too much manipulation going on.

2. It may be time to get new judges. The ones we have let their partiality show too much, and it is obvious when and how they begin to try and manipulate situations as well.

3. All the contestants should dance the same type of dance on the same night so that we can compare them more equally.

4. Make the song fit the dance. Sometimes it doesn't at all, and other times, they are dancing to it, but it is so awkward, I feel confused. Other times, I feel that certain contestants get a tremendous advantage because they get "the song" associated with a particular dance while others get a "what the heck was that?" song.

5. Continue to keep the playing field as level as possible like it was this season. Also, avoid the contentious political or highly controversial contestants.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

I agree with Bloomers.....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Get rid of dim-witted Brooke. She always asks the most incredibly dumb questions....you fell down last week, how does that make you feel? ugg

While I have posted before that I wish Brooke would be shown the door, I would need to find another phrase for the drinking game. For the most part, I am able to enjoy everyone dance by the end of the evening (even the ringers), thanks to her repetitive interview question, "How does that feel?" My daughter and I just howl everytime she uses that phrase and how creatively she is able to word it in nearly every question to the dancers.
    BUT, I'd be willing to sacrifice my slightly inebriated state for the good of the show.

And, they simply MUST get better singers. How about a little more cross promotion with Idol and have the latest cast-off Idol sing all the songs? It could be no worse than what we have, and might be a tad bit entertaining.

Rotating pros is also intriguing. The best dancers really would come forward, if the pros are truly worth their salt. Might be interesting and a way to include more pros for longer periods of time throughout the show.

Finally, I agree with the same dance for all dancers in one night, with appropriate music to showcase the dance.

1. Bring back classical night. The enhanced orchestra and superior vocalists made the evening a pleasure.
    2. Ditch Americana night. I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but the best patriotic songs do not make good dance music. Also the costumes for that night were atrocious.
    3. Bring in more guest singers during the competition nights. It was wonderful seeing Josh Groban sing for Petra. I don't think the show would have any trouble attracting artists given the exposure they get on this show.
    4. Ditch whoever gives Brooke interview guidance. I don't hold the questions Brooke asks against her, because Samantha asked the same inane questions. I think it has more to do with the guidance the co-host is given for the interviews. Brooke does fine on the announcements with Tom.

Note: If they do decide to dump Brooke they should look back at the tapes of Skating with the Stars and bring in Tanith Belbin. She was wonderful. Caution: heed note 4 re the interview guidance.

+ Reply to Thread