+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fanatic

Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

This year's group of celebrities may not be exciting, and as some have said they seem somewhat boring, but
    you can be sure that disrespectful, rude, and utterly uncalled for comments made by the judges will not
    make it an easy job to find anything better. No one should have to be that humiliated by a judge.
    Constructive criticism-yes, humiliation-no.

I know this won't be a popular take on the Bruno/Bolton situation, but did anyone else feel that Michael Bolton started it? I watched his face and efforts during the rehearsals, and he acted as if someone was holding a gun to his head. Then he comes out and does his "dance" with absolutely no enthusiasm and very little effort, almost mocking the whole experience. It seemed to me at the time, and long before this all blew up into controversy, that Bruno took his attitude as an insult to the process, the show, and everyone else's efforts and slapped him down for it.

FORT Fanatic

If it a judge's role to slap down a contestant because of how his attitude is perceived? Or is it the judge's
    role to give helpful, constructive criticism? Perhaps by doing so, the contestant's attitude would improve, as
    well as his dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4072316;
    I don't fault Grey for being on show. It's a nice opportunity for her and God knows show has had plenty of ringers before her. The struggle I have is that Derek gets them. A lot. He followed up perhaps the biggest ringer in Nicole last season with this season's biggest ringer in Grey. If he had Kate and then Grey it would be fair. If he had Nicole and then Cho people wouldn't complain but he has yet to get a huge clunker. He could be the best teacher and choreographer on the planet and he wouldn't have been able to help Kate. It's not fair to the other pros either. He's a shoo-in for finale once again. Only way he loses is if they suffer ringer and Derek backlash.
    I suspect the producers may be taking steps to guard against this. Finally got around to watching the episode (I haven't decided whether I will continue to or not since the outcome is so predictable IMO), and I noticed the beginnings of a concerted effort on the show's part to stress the lack of a clear front runner this season, which I find somewhat laughable, since every poll I've seen has Jennifer predicted as the winner by about 60% of respondents. I do think they fear that another unbalanced season like the last one may cause some viewers to tune out, which also may be why the judges didn't give Jennifer any 9s, trying to give the appearance that it is still a horse race. I actually think this season right now is even more unbalanced than the prior one, where at least you had a very popular and attractive Olympian with natural ability, normally a recipe for clear victory, to challenge a ringer who was great but not particularly sympathetic/endearing to a demographic that skews older and female. OTOH, Jennifer is middle-aged, a comeback story and a cancer survivor. I think she would be a sentimental favorite vote powerhouse even with more mediocre dancing. Sorry to say that I can't see anything stopping this freight train.

I saw a Donny Osmond win coming as soon as that cast was announced, I didn't watch. This cast was unclear, but now after 2 weeks, it's clear J/D will take the trophy in the end, the only question is who is going to come in 2nd and 3rd, I think that's the only thing left to determine at this point. After the Bolton boot last night, I'm ready to give up on the show and get some more sleep.

I'll actually be shocked if Bristol doesnt make it to F3, there's way too much political/ratings motivation to boot her since her dancing isnt' horrendous.

The sitch will likely get the Jake position of last season and leave around the middle. And there will be an unexpected early boot (Kyle?). It's really sad that I've only watched 2 seasons and it's clear how the season is going to play out.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I am hoping that Bruno does move over to Fox.
    His verbal outburst this week was designed to garner him sound bite attention and, once again, make the show about him.
    Was Michael a good dancer? No.
    But, demoralizing and denigrating someone like that is just counterproductive.
    It's obvious that MB has no natural dancing ability, whatsoever.
    I do think he tried very hard, but he just couldn't do it.
    I'd love for Bruno to have to go the same route - have a judge weigh in on his efforts at trying his hand at singing. :nono
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4072613;
    Actually, we have seen a DWTS contract. Shawn Johnson's contract, because she was underaged, was available to be viewed by the public, and by all accounts her contract didn't differ from the standard DWTS celebrity contract.
    I'll have to go look for it now-thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4072698;
    I saw a Donny Osmond win coming as soon as that cast was announced, I didn't watch. This cast was unclear, but now after 2 weeks, it's clear J/D will take the trophy in the end, the only question is who is going to come in 2nd and 3rd, I think that's the only thing left to determine at this point. After the Bolton boot last night, I'm ready to give up on the show and get some more sleep.

I'll actually be shocked if Bristol doesnt make it to F3, there's way too much political/ratings motivation to boot her since her dancing isnt' horrendous.

The sitch will likely get the Jake position of last season and leave around the middle. And there will be an unexpected early boot (Kyle?). It's really sad that I've only watched 2 seasons and it's clear how the season is going to play out.
    I agree with you about Donny. As soon as I saw on the first show that he was pretty good, it was clear his fanbase combined with decent scores would get him the win, and was surprised that so many people here assumed that Mya was a shoe-in. IMO, if they didn't have the ringer that season in Mya, there would have been no suspense at all.

I don't know if Bristol will make it all the way to the finals, but I think that the show will assure that she gets at least into the top six (they lost the Hoff, and are not going to let another ratings ploy casting coup leave prematurely), by continuing to have the judges overscore and praise her. I do believe that a certain percentage of fans are greatly influenced by the judges into believing that someone is better than they really are based on their comments/scores, and will vote accordingly. However, unless they stumble, the two pro athletes with their strong fanbases will be tough for her to beat.

Right now my F6 prediction would be Jennifer, Bristol, Audrina, Rick, Kurt and either Brandy or Kyle, with a F3 of Jennifer and the two athletes.

I am torn about Michael Bolton. On the one hand, I think Bruno was unnecessarily harsh, but then he always eschews kindness/civility for an outrageous line, which I'm sure the producers encourage. I also fault Chelsie, for resorting to the desperate measure of having a former singing star and "sex symbol" in his day imitate a dog in an undignified grovel for votes (no doubt it backfired). I think the combined humiliation of that, plus Bruno's comment and the 3 score caused the high-strung perfectionist artist in him to snap. He doesn't strike me as somebody with a big propensity to laugh at himself to start with, or someone accustomed to failure, and his agent or whoever suggested that doing DWTS was a good career move clearly got him in over his head. As he already had scheduling conflicts, he may have only expected to last a few weeks, but he probably didn't expect to be ridiculed and humiliated before he left.
    Last edited by ironcat; 09-29-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Quite frankly I have always found Bruno's commentary hard to take. I sometimes get embarassed listening to him. However his take on MB was totally uncalled for and very nasty. I think it's time to replace him as a judge. he never makes much sense anyway.

you lost me right after former singing star and "sex symbol" in his day ......really? I was around back then, was he really a sex symbol?? He always looked like an old ugly man, ala Mick Jagger.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

+ Reply to Thread