+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9/27 DWTS Recap: A Pink Elephant, A Dog House and a Promise to Wax

9/27 DWTS Recap: A Pink Elephant, A Dog House and a Promise to Wax

Tom welcomes us to week two of Dancing with the *Stars* by letting us know that ballroom tempers are flaring. On an up-note, Brooke reveals that the show won the ratings war last week and is the number one show of the new season. After that bit of positive energy, Tom comes back with the drama by declaring that while it is only week two, the pressure is on. And so it is…for us. There were side-trips into the audience during the show where Tom first conferred with Bristol’s mom who tells him, very diplomatically, that she doesn’t have a favorite to this point as her daughter has yet to dance; then he introduced the man for whom Bachelor fans have waited with baited breath to be confirmed as the choice. But enough fol-de- rol, let’s get to the dancing!

Rick Fox and Cheryl Burke (Fox-C) dance the Jive to Tush

During rehearsal Rick asked if they were really going that fast, seriously? He said he was known as The Tank on the Basketball floor. Cheryl reminded us that, with his sports related ankle injury, they need to take it slow so he doesn’t re-injure it.

At one point in the dance, Rick lifted Cheryl’s skirt to reveal the word TUSH spelled out in sequins on her derriere.

Carrie Ann: I thought it was really good. I do think you’re a contender, but you have to work on posture.
    Len: Didn’t anyone tell you that tall guys can’t Jive? (wink, wink) It was compact, it was fun. If you can dance the Jive, which I thought would be your weakest dance, you are a contender.
    Bruno: You actually did it! For week two…

Scores: CA 7 Len 7 Bruno 7 for a total of 21

Florence Henderson and Corky Ballas (Florky) dance the Quickstep to Suddenly I See

Florence told us that she has watched the show since the beginning and been in the audience numerous times, but that it was surreal to actually be dancing. She doesn’t want to be the “older” comic relief.

While she performed a straight-forward Quickstep, Corky provided the comedy at the close of the dance.

Carrie Ann: It is incredible that you are dancing at 76. It was light, airy. I liked it.
    Len: Your age has no bearing for me. On that performance, I’ll see you next week.
    Bruno: At times it was like Driving Miss Daisy, but I loved the Grande Dame entrance.

Scores: CA 7 Len 6 Bruno 6 for a total of 19

Brandy and Maks Chmerkovskiy (BranDMC) dance the Jive to Magic

Maks told Brandy that the name of their partnership is – you having fun and me losing hair and years off my age. Brandy told us that she and Maks have been butting heads like crazy because she wants to get it right and he wants to move on before she gets it right.

For the dance Maks dressed them in plaid with Brandy in pigtails. She also had a solo in the middle of the dance.

Carrie Ann: You’re so cute, but you didn’t point your toes.
    Len: You’ve got good coordination. It was a little bit brittle – you’ve taken a step back. I didn’t like that solo stuff. (Brandy pointed to Maks and said it was his fault.)
    Bruno: Okay from you isn’t good enough.

Michael Bolton and Chelsie Hightower (Bolt Tower) dance the QuickStep to Hound Dog

Michael walked into day two of rehearsal with laryngitis and a mask over his mouth. His doctor cleared him to dance but he is to take it easy. Chelsie commented that Michael wants to do well, but he is having a hard time learning and doing the steps. Michael stated that he doesn’t quit.

I thought the quick scene where Chelsie told Michael she wants him to come out of a doghouse at the beginning of the dance was a joke. Ruh, Roh…it wasn’t.

Carrie Ann: This is where it is tough to be a judge. I respect that you wanted to please your partner. Unfortunately, you lock up a lot of stress within your body.
    Len: I don’t think the world was ready for your version of the Jive. This wasn’t your cup of tea.
    Bruno: I’m a dog lover, but you made it hard for me. You should go back into the dog house. For me, this was the worst Jive in eleven seasons.

Len: Okay, you hated it, but you should keep some comments to yourself.
    Bruno: Why? You can collect the poop, I can’t.

Tom: Len lecturing on how to be nicer is one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

Scores: CA 4 Len 5 Bruno 3 for a total of 12

Audrina Patridge and Tony Dovalani (TorinA) Dance the Quickstep to Love Machine

Tony told Audrina that Bruno called her a show pony, but that he was going to make her a race horse. Audrina, feeling the pressure, said that she doesn’t see her family much and barely sees her boyfriend, and that it is already causing friction between them. She cried it out.

Carrie Ann: A huge improvement. I thought it was fantastic with one tiny miss-step.
    Len: That was the best dance so far tonight!
    Bruno: The show pony is turning into Secretariat! What a promising performance.

At rehearsal Tony promised that if they did not pull 3 eights, he was waxing his legs.

Scores: CA 8 Len 8 Bruno 7 for a total of 23

Tony will wax his legs.

Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough (Jenougher) dance the Jive to Shake It

In the rehearsal package, Jennifer told us that the waltz was very elegant and restrained and that she feels it is time to break the bands. During a physical to determine whether she was fit enough to go on the show, she found out that she had cancer and her neck now has a plate and four screws in it. Cancer free she agreed with Derek that DWTS was the catalyst for saving her life.

When they stood before the judges, Derek collapsed on his back and didn’t get up. Jennifer joined him and then Tom sat beside them. Is this the first time a couple (plus host) has received their judging comments while lying on the floor?

Carrie Ann: You’re like this energizer bunny dancing the Jive. Your energy never let up.
    Len: There was nothing “gray” about that. It was full of color…fabulous job.
    Bruno: That was a killer Jive. It was so difficult it was beyond belief. That was wicked.

Scores: CA 8 Len 8 Bruno 8 for a total of 24

Margaret Cho and Louis Van Amstel (Van Cho) dance the Jive to Dreaming

When Margaret began making odd faces during their rehearsal, Louis told her that she can’t hide behind her comedy on the dance floor.

(Note: I saw her crack a smile more than once during the dance and it was charming.)

Carrie Ann: Go Cho Cho! A definite improvement, but you need to watch your shoulders. Your facial expressions were over the top – watch that.
    Len: You did a proper Jive. It had a lot of life, a lot of energy. Good work on the kicks.
    Bruno: You need to tuck it in, have more precise kicks and smile…ease into it.

Scores: CA 6 Len 6 Bruno 6 for a total of 18

Kyle Massey and Lacey Schwimmer (Schmurgles) dance the Quickstep to I Want You To

Before beginning rehearsals, Lacey put Kyle through a work out regime to build his endurance. She made him promise to lay off fast food. He didn’t. Because of his age, she decided to add a few modern elements to the routine.

During the dance he jiggled out of hold.

Carrie Ann: Welcome to the new school of Quickstep. I loved it. You were on fire. I loved it.
    Len: It was hardly a classic Quickstep. It was as though you were engulfed in a huge feather duster and kept popping out here and there. (Lacey wore a many layered tulle skirt.) You were flat-footed and lacked style, BUT, I liked it.
    Bruno: Power house of energy. You started out doing the Quickstep and ended up doing the Jive. Seriously – in ballroom you need more control – frame, footwork and technique.

Scores: CA 8 Len 7 Bruno 7 for a total of 22

Kurt Warner and Anna Trebunskaya (Kurtana) dance the Jive to Danger Zone

Anna told us that Kurt has a goofy sense of humor and that he is participating in the choreography. Kurt said he never expected to be speaking dance lingo.

Anna dressed them in khaki colored hint-of-soldier outfits to match the song.

Carrie Ann: I loved it! It reminded me of everybody’s favorite uncle at the wedding who has had too much to drink. You have great musicality.
    Len: Last week the outhouse, this week the penthouse. Fun…full on.
    Bruno: This is a cool guy who does a cool Jive. You’ve got it.

Mike (The Situation) Sorrentino and Karina Smirnoff (Sitchoff) dance the Quickstep to We No Speak Americano

The rehearsal was tense where Mike thought Karina was like a drill sergeant and Karina thought that Mike doesn’t realize his own potential. Mike said that he looks like Mary Poppins at the moment, but he is enjoying it and wants to do well.

Carrie Ann: You need to find some musicality – get an ipod and listen to the dance music. You are a little pigeon-toed.
    Len: It was a series of unfortunate events. For a difficult dance, you did better than last week, so well done.
    Bruno: It is a very fine line, but you’ve got to find it.

Scores: CA 6 Len 6 Bruno 6 for a total of 18

Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas (Ballin) dance the Quickstep to You Can’t Hurry Love

Bristol took Mark to view the pristine waters off a dock in Wasilla, AK. She also took him home. She told us that the first thing she did was to introduce him to her mom because she is such a fan. Her mom said that she is proud of Bristol’s confidence, and she asked Mark how to shimmy. Once back in LA Bristol showed her nerves when trying to learn the dance in time for the show.

Carrie Ann: You remind me of Kelly Osborne. I can’t wait to see you come back week after week.
    Len: It’s not quite there, but it is very, very close; it’s neat, it’s precise. It just needs a little more flair.
    Bruno: There is a fresh non-showbiz quality about you that is so charming. Now you have to be a character.

Scores: CA 7 Len 8 Bruno 7 for a total of 22

Standings for week two are as follows:

24 Jennifer/Derek
    23 Audrina/Tony
    22 Kyle/Lacey
    22 Bristol/Mark
    21 Rick/Cheryl
    21 Brandy/Maks
    21 Kurt/Anna
    19 Florence/Corky
    18 Margaret/Louis
    18 Mike/Karina
    12 Michael/Chelsie

Tune in Tuesday for high flying frivolity, and then read a recap of all the fun and an elimination by MFWalkoff.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 09-28-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 9/27 DWTS Recap: A Pink Elephant, A Dog House and a Promise to Wax

Great recap. Next week, I'll go to bed earlier and just check in here with your recapper highlights.

While they may seem interchangeable, Tom's co-host is now Brooke and not Samantha. Brooke brought up with several couples how much she understands how hard it is to be in the competition, lest you forget that she was once on DWTS and partnered with Golden Boy Derek.

She was also the host on RockStar (2 seasons). Duh! Off to fix with an edit...thanks.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4071758;
    She was also the host on RockStar (2 seasons). Duh! Off to fix with an edit...thanks.
    Isn't it Carrie Ann, not Carol Ann? Other than that, great recap!
    Last edited by Arielflies; 09-28-2010 at 04:24 PM.

What is it with me and NAMES???? I will not blame the 105 heat, I won't, I won't.

OFF TO EDIT ONCE AGAIN. Anything else I either blew or missed, please let me know.

You must admit I was consistent throughout.

Great job, Ariel

I loved the team names
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4071903;
    What is it with me and NAMES???? I will not blame the 105 heat, I won't, I won't.
    All that *cough* awesome dancing must have dazzled you.

Loved the recap, Ariel!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I really appreciate these great recaps because I can barely stand to sit through a 2 hour show. Thanks Arielflies!

actually that comment to Florence re: Driving Miss Daisy was pretty bad, too, lol. That was hurtful and insulting her age. It almost makes Bolton's lecture seem a non issue. I mean you can improve on your dance but you can't make yourself younger, ya know?

great recap! Thanks for taking the time. You're awesome!

+ Reply to Thread