+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

FORT Newbie

Re: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

He's not who I thought he was...
    What is it about Maks that makes women feel they have a right to righteously expect him to behave as they want him to behave? I am frankly amazed that some feel so strongly about how Maks "ought to" live his life and offer their unsolicited opinion. I don't "get it."

I was charmed by Maks taking the time to write his fans. And it doesn't take genius to think he did so because of all the flap by rude women here.

I find nothing astonishing if he would do the show for the money; isn't he in the business of making money through entertainment? To me it's adorable that he takes the time to clarify his absence and reasons. Makes perfect sense to me. It has always been part of his charm that he wants his fans to understand him. Most men would not care.

It does not diminish his charm to me that he has to work for his living. Indeed he's spoken openly about his dedication to his business as the reason for even being on DWTS. & Why Not? E.g., Gilles Marini didn't go on DWTS to be charitable nor with pure motivation to become a dancer. Why put Maks to such a test? Especially when he cites his ability to succeed in his business as one of his biggest reasons for liking his new country. That is admirable, isn't it?

Finally, I totally accept and admire his wish to encourage young Ukrainians, far from finding it unbelievable. His focus is on younger people to teach, always has been. He is the quintessential eldest son of a traditional family. Those who have never had to struggle may not grasp his sincerity here, but I believe it to be genuine.

Sorry for expounding at such length but I have honestly been embarrassed for those American women who have behaved in such an extremely sentimental and possessive manner over Maks' personal life. To me, it is uncommonly impolite.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 12-18-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

In fairness, when you put yourself out in the public eye, people are going to have their opinions, for better or worse. The pros on DWTS are sometimes even more famous and well known than their celeb partner. Maks has probably helped made himself one of the more well known of the crop for speaking his mind and never being afraid to hold back (among other things, and of course that's one of the reasons I adore him so much). I don't know if I view Maks doing this as ruining his reputation. Here in the states, we have our bachelor to go by. Since it's not a franchise that seems to have taken off like many other formats, it's hard to say what it's like in another country, or what reality TV in general is viewed as in the Ukraine. Maks has often spoken about keeping his personal life just that, personal and private, and it's been brought up he criticized Jake the bachelor. I don't really recall any of the comment directly about Jake's participation on that show (I think I vaguely remember something he said). So when you're saying one thing and doing another, people (fans and especially 'haters') are going to call you out for it. Maks doing the bachelor surprised me just as much as the next person, but you have to be naive to think that, in this era with the internet and media being what it is, you can keep something like this a secret. There was probably a million and one reasons people weren't supposed to know, but giving interviews about being the Ukrainian bachelor on your arrival and shooting promos isn't keeping things a secret Anyway, I believe Maks is in it for a number of reasons, and maybe some that will come to light after the show is done. But it's all speculation, really. Whatever the reasons, or his true motivation, only he knows for sure, and it's his business. I don't see anyone, at least here, disputing that. With the exception of Karina, I don't know or believe Maks had a relationship with any of his partners, except maybe Erin, but what that was who knows. I think he might be looking for love, he saw this as a good financial opportunity, and maybe more so exposure if he wants to raise his profile in his native country. If he needs a break, what better to break than to get paid and possibly fall in love I wish the best for Maks. I hope he's back for season 12; if he's not I'll miss him greatly but hope his future is bright.

chris, you'd better believe I'd tune in for the bachelor if Maks was on it I hope clips are uploaded to Youtube. Even though I don't speak Russian, and could care less about subtitles and what's going on, I won't pass up a chance to see Maks Especially if he doesn't come back to DWTS. And yes, just about every week since it was announced Jimmy Johnson was going to take part on Survivor, Joel's been airing that ad he did, or a clip of it, and poking fun at him. Knowing The Soup, it probably won't be the last time that clip shows up I wish Joel could do this show. If Tom ever stepped down from hosting, he'd get my vote to take over, rival networks or not.

Quote Originally Posted by danesRfun;4129338;
    What is it about Maks that makes women feel they have a right to righteously expect him to behave as they want him to behave?

I have honestly been embarrassed for those American women who have behaved in such an extremely sentimental and possessive manner over Maks' personal life. To me, it is uncommonly impolite.
    Since I can't speak for all "those American women," I'll just speak for myself. My posts about Maks' decision are nothing different than when Maks spouts off his opinion about everything under the sun. Last I checked, it was a message board, and people with varying opinions who are "fans of REALITY TV," be it the show or the cast members, came here to analyze, obsess, adore, drool over, and say their opinion about all kinds of things.

I'm happy for all of Maks' fans who are 100% behind him in his new endeavor. As for the "sentimental and possessive" side of me, she also wants Maks to prove her wrong.

In my book, the only woman whose say matters for Maks is his mother. Since we on this thread hold him in common, and many of us have enjoyed him and support him as a dancer, I thought I'd share my opinion realizing that it was probably in the minority.

Sorry if I gravely offended you, danes, but I'm not sorry that I disagree with him, and yes, his public persona gives me that right to have an opinion.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

FORT Newbie

I think many of us were taken aback by how inauthentic Jake Pavelka seems to be, whether or not he was ever on Bachelor. He's just an odd guy and his "fiance" was as well. As I recall, Maks did no more than roll his eyes on this subject.

Re keeping his personal life private, is there no room for him to change his mind? And who's to say that the most important personal things will be shared even in the Ukraine? Maks has some control over what he shares, I would think.

Bottom line, with true respect for everyone, the social phenomenon of the combination of reality TV & fan forums & twitter & facebook & Maks has become pretty ugly at times. I've noticed similar happening to Mark B who has to tell folks that he and Bristol were not romantically connected.

I guess I don't buy the premise that someone being in the public eye grants the public open season to be rude and intrusive. At least I have been astonished to see what too many people are willing to say publicly when shielded by the anonymity of a screen name. JMO I've made my point.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4129449;
    My posts about Maks' decision are nothing different than when Maks spouts off his opinion about everything under the sun.
    Well said, V_O. Maks is someone who never hesitates to speak his mind and he strikes me as a big enough person to appreciate that same quality in others.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

mkp
    FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4129157;
    Recently, Maks changed PR firms to Lizzie Grubman, daughter of Allen Grubman, an elite music power-attorney in New York City; the man's power set NY/Hamptons social trends in the early 2000s. With such a high profile PR firm, I doubt that Maks' new gig wouldn't have hit the US media outlets at some point; the story was just broken earlier than desired in the US by a curious fan. It would have gotten out eventually albeit layered with Lizzie's PR verbiage. Lizzie and Maks scrambled to save face and hence the reason Maks felt the need to explain. I'm fairly certain that Maks was advised to write that memo to his forum complete with the absurd reasons behind his decision.
    I am actually glad to hear that Maks had gotten himself a high-powered PR person. Hopefully, this will lead to bigger and better things for himself. I do agree with you that his "people" advised him to write the memo to his fans (it's also on his personal blog now) to try to counter-act whatever negativity might come from his decision to do the show.

... Also, by his own words, Maks claims to be the sole provider for his brother and his family.
    Maks' family makes their money off the dance studios they run. They currently have three. Maks' dad is very hands on in the business (hay, he started it) and runs the studios with a family friend. If Maks stopped working tomorrow, the family would still have income from these studios.

Either he's rolling in it, a fact that seems to contradict the low pay of the pros, or Maks needed a way to make money without exhausting himself further. ... I'm hard pressed to believe that he's not being well compensated for this gig.

As for the fame stuff, ironcat wrote If such is true, then Maks and his family are recognizable names in Ukraine/Russia. Also, the translated article says that the show will follow a successful, wealthy businessman and they mention that Maks is the American dancer from DWTS. Both of those equal fame to me whether it's in Russia or the US. Maks doesn't need anymore press in the US. He's had enough just from Erin Andrews' showmance.
    Maks and his family are NOT well known in the Ukraine. In the video for the Bachelor in the Ukraine, they take Maks' picture on the streets and ask ladies who this guy is, and they don't know. Some say maybe he is a pop star.
    Sure, doing this show could be a way for Maks to become a household name in his homeland. Perhaps he wants to open studios there too. If that is the case, I have no problem with it.
    Also, Maks could always use more (postivie) press in the U.S. That's why he is with Liz Grubmann!

If he wasn't after something, and I don't think his motives are purely romantic (I don't even know if that is a factor at all), then he would have just stayed in NYC and tried to date someone there. To do a TV show in your downtime, sorry, it's either fame or money or both. Not Derek Hough nor Mark nor anyone else, except OchoCinco, is going his route.
    Mark and Derek and all the other professional dancers are already doing a show for fame (and some money), it's called Dancing With the Stars. I am sure they all have publicists and are all trying to do different things to maximize their income. Some of the female pros (like Karina and Cheryl) hawk clothing and exercise DVDs. Mark and Derek are trying to sell records by their band. Doing another T.V. show in your downtime is not such a bad thing.
    OK, so you believe Maks has no romantic interest for doing the Ukraine Bachelor at all. Perhaps not. Maybe they are paying him hundreds of thousand of dollars, or maybe a million dollars. Who knows?

Your post got me thinking. Like you stated, Maks is a businessman. I think his career path is changing now, and he is going to start making a lot of "purley" business decisions. I have been a fan of his since 2006, and I had always wondered why he wasn't making more money modeling, or becoming the "face" of some men's clothing line or cologne. I always wondered why he instead ended up doing those equally cheesy mall opening apperances or showing up at Las Vegas pool parties or restaurants for whatever money they paid him. He (and the other pros) have been doing stuff like this for years.

I, frankly, and glad he is finally getting serious about things and has hired a high-powered publicist and is thinking in bigger monetary terms. He is going to be 31 soon. He is getting older. He wants more out of life - like growing his business and starting a family of his own. These are life changes that happen to all of us.

I guess we are all going to have to come to terms with the fact that Maks may be doing more things in the future that we may, or may not, agree with.

Maks' family makes their money off the dance studios they run. They currently have three. Maks' dad is very hands on in the business (hay, he started it) and runs the studios with a family friend. If Maks stopped working tomorrow, the family would still have income from these studios.
    I disagree that Maks isn't largely the "provider" for his family. In his Oct. 8th, 2010 blog, Maks wrote this about his brother, Val: "He is totally my life and always has been. When I moved out on my own for the first time, I moved him out with me. He's been very focused on his dance career, so I'm trying to provide for him." To me, that means that he is financially supporting him. Maks also moved out of his NJ apartment this fall, so that his parents could move into it. As for the dance studio, I'm not certain about their success; I imagine that they're fairing decently well, but one thing that goes out the door with a recession is conspicuous consumption of non-essentials. Many, not all, would deem dance lessons a non-essential unless his patrons are affluent. Either way, I'd not think that Maks would run himself ragged every other off-season if he did not need to do it. For as much as he enjoys dancing, I'd esp. expect the guy to have taken last summer down a notch, but he burnt the candle at both ends.

Do we really not think that Maks is NOT being paid to do this show?
    Maks and his family are NOT well known in the Ukraine. Also, Maks could always use more (postivie) press in the U.S. That's why he is with Liz Grubmann!
    It sounds like we have conflicting information about Maks' name recognition. Either way, he's still being publicized in Russia as a "wealthy, successful businessman of Russian descent who made it in America." Also, isn't more press in the US the equivalent of fame?
    Mark and Derek and all the other professional dancers are already doing a show for fame (and some money), it's called Dancing With the Stars.
    Maks also does Dancing with the Stars for fame and money. It's their job. Cheryl, Mark, Anna, Derek, and Julianna are all pursuing career paths that are not very far afield of dancing or entertaining. Maks might be entertaining us, but he's doing it by putting his love life front and center, and he's telling us that this endeavor is "the first thing [he's] done in years that's for [HIM]." So either it's about his love life (which, he says, is supposed to be private), or it's about his career moving into acting. I'm confused.

I'll leave these tidbits for everyone:

from his Nov. 19th blog: "As for my top-secret show, It's being put together right now. It's a slow process because of my commitments to other things. When it does come into fruition, you'll be the first to know." (not sure if this "top secret show" is the same as the one he alluded to in his final blog of season 10 or if it's The Bachelor)

from his Sept. 2nd blog: "We're eyeing five locations as we're trying to expand inland — maybe Viriginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. We're hoping to open some up there and slowly move west. We're working on opening one in Las Vegas."

Those might cast some light on Maks' motivations and whatever....

I think his career path is changing now....He is getting older. He wants more out of life - like growing his business and starting a family of his own.
    I 100% agree with you here. My frustration is the spin around his decision. Just tell the truth, dude. I'd respect that more than the half-baked explanation to turn a self-centered endeavor into some great philanthropic mission.

I'm never going to hero-worship Maks. As I always say, he's human and flawed and thus, he's fascinating. I'm sure, at some point, there will be some adorable picture of him, and I'll forget my grief, but right now, no
    Last edited by veg_out; 12-20-2010 at 01:23 PM.

mkp
    FORT Newbie

It sounds like we have conflicting information about Maks' name recognition. Either way, he's still being publicized in Russia as a "wealthy, successful businessman of Russian descent who made it in America."
    Well, of course they are going to promote him as a wealthy, sucessful businessman who is "big" in America. So I don't get your point here.

Cheryl, Mark, Anna, Derek, and Julianna are all pursuing career paths that are not very far afield of dancing or entertaining. Maks might be entertaining us, but he's doing it by putting his love life front and center, and he's telling us that this endeavor is "the first thing [he's] done in years that's for [HIM]." So either it's about his love life (which, he says, is supposed to be private), or it's about his career moving into acting. I'm confused.
    Well, you've jumped to the conclusion that Maks is trying to get into acting. I think you are getting a little bit ahead of yourself here.

And remember - Maks never publicized his decision to do this show in the Ukraine. He snuck off there to do this and then had to fess up when word got out. So he was trying to keep this private.

I think you have just made up your mind that Maks did this for "money and fame" and don't want to took at any evidence to the contrary.

from his Nov. 19th blog: "As for my top-secret show, It's being put together right now. It's a slow process because of my commitments to other things. When it does come into fruition, you'll be the first to know." (not sure if this "top secret show" is the same as the one he alluded to in his final blog of season 10 or if it's The Bachelor)
    I have been told that the "top secret show" is not the Bachelor Ukraine.

I 100% agree with you here. My frustration is the spin around his decision. Just tell the truth, dude. I'd respect that more than the half-baked explanation to turn a self-centered endeavor into some great philanthropic mission.
    He never tried to turn this into a "philanthropic mission." That was just one of several reasons he gave for doing this - not his main reason. But that is the one reason you have latched onto.

I'm never going to hero-worship Maks. As I always say, he's human and flawed and thus, he's fascinating. I'm sure, at some point, there will be some adorable picture of him, and I'll forget my grief, but right now, no
    I know there are some fans of his who never see anything he does in a negative light. I am not one of those people either, believe it or not!

I don't, however, think it is reasonable to expect Maks not to promote himself and his businesses, not to try to make money, and not to branch out into other endeavors.

And for the record - one more time- I will state that he did NOT publicize his participation in the Bachelor Ukraine. He tried to keep it all under wraps. His participation in this show was not done for the American audience.

You have never tried to explain to us why you think he did not do the American version of The Bachelor. You have conveniently overlooked this decision of his that does not fit in with your views on this subject.

mkp, I get the feeling like we're going to go around and around in this conversation. Since I'm one of the few, maybe the only, posters on this thread who disagree with and have deconstructed ALL points, not just one that I've, in your words, "latched onto," I guess the objective is to prove me wrong in my opinion of Maks and his motives. We're not going to agree.

I don't know why Maks didn't do the American Bachelor. Per not only his words in his blog about the topic and his comments about Jake, I assume that he didn't do it because he thought it was cheesy, fake, and scripted. Perhaps he was advised against it. I also don't know why Maks finally agreed to do the Euro version, and I'm not sure that we'll ever know for sure. All we get is what he gives us and whatever conclusion we draw from his words and actions. For me, and I'm entitled to think as I do, I don't see his venture being as easily explained as his blog leads everyone to believe. His PR firm is partially behind his explanation, and Maks isn't going to betray himself by stating that it was an easy way to make money and maybe get a girl. I'm interrogating Maks' argument, nothing else.

I respect your thoughts and feelings about Maks, his career, and his motivations. Thanks for sharing that perspective.

mkp
    FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4130251;
    mkp, I get the feeling like we're going to go around and around in this conversation. Since I'm one of the few, maybe the only, posters on this thread who disagree with and have deconstructed ALL points, not just one that I've, in your words, "latched onto," I guess the objective is to prove me wrong in my opinion of Maks and his motives. We're not going to agree.

I don't know why Maks didn't do the American Bachelor. Per not only his words in his blog about the topic and his comments about Jake, I assume that he didn't do it because he thought it was cheesy, fake, and scripted. Perhaps he was advised against it. I also don't know why Maks finally agreed to do the Euro version, and I'm not sure that we'll ever know for sure. All we get is what he gives us and whatever conclusion we draw from his words and actions. For me, and I'm entitled to think as I do, I don't see his venture being as easily explained as his blog leads everyone to believe. His PR firm is partially behind his explanation, and Maks isn't going to betray himself by stating that it was an easy way to make money and maybe get a girl. I'm interrogating Maks' argument, nothing else.

I respect your thoughts and feelings about Maks, his career, and his motivations. Thanks for sharing that perspective.
    Fair enough. We can consider this discussion closed!

+ Reply to Thread