+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Re: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Maks said that he and Brandy had watched some show together and that ever since it had been a running joke for them to smack each other on the bottom as part of it. Plus, Maks smacks others on the bottom, look at Tom. I think he found that CA took it upon herself to smack him like his mother would have done that made him so angry. She wasn't doing it out of jest, she was trying to put him in his place (or at least that's what I took from that). I also thought that CA was out of line.

If he and CA had that sort of friendship (like he and Tom do or evidently like he and Brandy do) then that would be one thing. But they don't. I think that's why he was so mad because he felt it was uncalled for and rude and I agree.

There is showing things in the rehearsal footage and then there is twisting it, taking it out of content, and adding sound to it to make it seem even worse than it was. Are they trying to completely tarnish his reputation? His reputation is his livelihood. He has every right to be angry if they are showing things that could cost him business especially if that is not the way these things happened in reality.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I guess that I'd challenge Maks with this video: YouTube - D*W*T*S* S9: Week 2 - Part 4/9. At 2:00, Maks and Debi's package begins when he's teaching her the tango. He flat out yells at her, more than once. I guess that the Maks of season 10 was the anomaly while this impatient and aggressive Maks is the norm when he's instructing. Or maybe it just has to do with his partners.

Bottom line: Swatting or yelling at anyone is not acceptable esp when you are in a position of authority over them. So it was wrong for Maks to swat Brandy (and it wasn't just her butt; it was her hands and legs, too) just as it was wrong for CA to attempt to swat Maks. I don't separate Maks' indiscretion from Carrie Ann's. If Maks is so infuriated when he's teaching, he needs to re-evaluate teaching novices. These stars are not aiming for ballroom titles; they're aiming for a career boost. Respect runs both ways.

Regardless of edit, they can't put something in there that he didn't do or say even with sound editing. And Maks knows that he signed on for a reality show which basically has always edited him as "the bad boy of the ballroom." He's playing a role. Maybe he told them that this year is his last, so they're giving him a less than gracious exit. DWTS made Maks' career by making him a very recognizable name and giving him endless opportunities. They'll redeem him somehow.

Since this thread is dedicated to Maks and Brandy, I'll limit posting here and just comment in the general threads. Maks has really turned me off this season with his interactions with Brandy and just in general. He is a wonderful choreographer usually, and I hope he continues to be successful on the show and in his career. Those who truly know him won't let the show color their opinion of him; sadly, I can only go on what he gives us.

I wish them a very successful season.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I know people get tired of him pinching Tom's behind, but Tom joked it wouldn't feel the same hosting the show if he didn't

The rumba is my least favorite dance on this show (not counting that novelty dances like the 2 step they've thrown in over the years), but once in a great while someone performs one that I could watch over and over again. I'm looking forward to seeing these two tomorrow and hope they fall into that category. If not, its the dances fault.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-10-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4081206;
    Maks said that he and Brandy had watched some show together and that ever since it had been a running joke for them to smack each other on the bottom as part of it.
    It's from the movie Couples Retreat. The yoga instructor in the movie keeps smacking people on the butt. It's been on HBO about a million times in the last month. Maks said it's been a little inside joke with him and Brandy because they both like the movie.

I think Maks' beef is with the fact that the video clips only show the disagreements between him and Brandy. ALL of the couples fight at times, but they seem to have decided that the story for Brandy and Maks will be that they don't get along. Based on the interviews I've seen with them, they like each other and have a good rapport. I can understand his frustration because almost every couple could probably be edited in those packages to seem as if they don't get along. He also seems frustrated that the judges are focusing so much on him and NOT on giving Brandy critiques so she has something to work on for the next performance.

I love Maks - I have a weakness for Russian men - and his manner is very Russian....at least based on the Russians I know. They tend to be blunt and direct and not overly sweet and friendly like Americans can be. He's been dancing and teaching ballroom dance for years. He wouldn't still have a career or a business if he was an abusive jerk to his students. For me, he doesn't yell in an angry way and it seems like he's usually raising his voice to talk over some self-involved celebrity who thinks she knows best.

He can smack me on the butt any time he likes
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Get in line Critical I'm so jealous of Brandy in that video with Maks and Val. Two Chmerkovskiys on both sides of you? I agree with you, I think Maks's lack of enthusiasm this season is with the season itself-not with having Karina back, not with Brandy. I agree with him its been weird. The judges are nuttier than normal. The bias and favoritism in keeping the ratings stunt castings in is more obvious. Even Derek isn't his usual self. The video package gave the producers what they wanted. It caused a debate and got people talking. So for them, mission accomplished, and if it wasn't Brandy/Maks, it'd be someone else. It's the same every season with Maks. His role is "the bad boy" and that's the angle they're going for (oddly enough, going way back to the season 2 intros when Tony joined the show, he said he was the bad boy). But Maks is typically portrayed and put in the slot of the arrogant, self centered, my way or the highway tough talking teacher (for the record, I think Maks is none of the above). But like Edyta and her skimpy costumes, Derek and his gimmicks, Karina and her pout, Corky and his pervy ways, and the celebs that are ringers, sentimental clunkers and those that we celebrate their getting eliminated, it's the same every season. It's the roles the show sets up. Either showmances, drama, or you go out in between because you're not interesting enough to keep around.

Having watched Maks every season on the show that he's been, it's just the character he's playing (or that he gets forced to play). I believe he's just very passionate, and while it may be a tacky trophy and a possible career boost for the celebs, I can see why the pros would take it more seriously. I doubt it will hurt Maks outside the show in anyway, but I can see why he's more frustrated that all that's ever shown is him making his partners cry or fighting with them when they get along just fine (and of course hooking up with them). From interviews I've watched with him and Brandy, I feel their chemistry and believe all is well. I think she wants to do very well and perhaps the fear of not living up to expectations is causing stress. All couples go through it. We've seen pros brought to tears because their celebs are hopeless, pros and/or celebs storm out on their partners, and celebs try and tell their pros they aren't qualified to teach. I'll be the first to say the editing angle gets old but there's obviously a lot more going on surrounding one 5 second clip. For all we know, Brandy was taking turns slapping him as well. Maks get requested a lot by celebs, including Denise, Debi, and Erin, so obviously he can't be that intimidating. I understand his frustrations with the show. I hope he doesn't decide to not return, but he did say taking season 6 off was refreshing and brought new perspective to him. He's probably one of the most popular and visible pros. I think CA was being immature, and typical CA by asking him to come up so she could spank him. But I've long thought the judges table needs to be off limits before, during, and after a performance.

Maks and Karina are both professional dancers and its unfortunate that they have endured a failed relatsionship together however, they both have a career and they both perform on this show.

If at this stage the idea of Karina being on the show is still affecting him and his performance, then maybe he should step away for a year and do some further soul searching and continue the healing process. Karina was absent from the show last year, and maybe that was the best thing for the both of them. But she has moved on now, and so should he. And upon Looking back, Karina has handled the breakup and the aftermath much more maturely than Maks did.
    Last edited by laceygirl; 10-11-2010 at 07:26 AM.

I'm glad their rehearsal package was more pleasant this week. Brandy seems genuine in her reactions that I believe she wants to do well and win, and figures she'll be letting herself, Maks, and others down if she doesn't. There seems to be a similar personality to Maks's and an intensity that I think brings these two to blows. But I think they're finding their way. I loved when Maks took her on that mock date and she was saying that's not how you give flowers to a girl Reminds me of an old boyfriend of mine.

Loved their rumba. Very few make me want to watch that particulare dance over and over but this will be one of them. Their scores were well earned.

I, too, loved their rumba. I actually watched it 3 times this morning. It was simple but passionate and very believable. And I actually gave Maks a vote cuz it was just such a beautiful dance. One of the best dances he's ever choreographed.

Maks started this season very happy, I guess he was thinking this would be his year for the mirror ball...Only to realize, oh too soon, that Derek was groomed for the win again this year....

With that said, last nights dance was good, but I kind of think Maks is losing his steam in this competition, I dont want to say giving up, but rather just facing the reality that its not his year again. I Will be surprised if he returns next year..

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4081393;

He can smack me on the butt any time he likes

Me too! lol
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread