+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Re: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26;4079725;
    Here is another video of Brandy & Maks with Val after the results show. Brandy loves the Chemerkovskiy brothers. She says Val is the nicer one but, after she says it she's rubbing Maks stomach and hugging him. It's cute. Brandy & Maks have no problem with each other and even Val digs her. In another interview with Access Hollywood they ask Maks if he's going to continue to smack Brandy on the bottom. He says, "yes", and Brandy says "Of Course." Val says, "who wouldn't, look at it!"lol, Brandy doesn't have a problem with it.

YouTube - Brandy Backstage After 3rd Elimination

I think that we'll agree to disagree on this topic. If it were Derek teaching like this I'd still have a problem. And I highly doubt that Brandy would make anything out of the smacking. Her comments at the start of last week's package indicate that she's very sensitive to the discussions on Twitter and in the press about her attitude and their relationship. She's not going to be the cause of sinking their ship any faster.

Regardless, it's a pointless argument. My perspective on the issue is Maks' general educational approach and its marked difference from the past. Could you imagine if he did that to Erin? Or Denise? Why do it now? Yes, teachers adjust instructional styles to their kids, but I just don't condone his behavior. If the rest of the thread is on deck that it's not a big deal since Brandy allows it, then that's the consensus, and I'm willing to leave it at we disagree.

I don't condone that kind of behavior at all, but I find that all the rehearsal footage packages are pretty scripted.
    They're designed to make us feel a certain way about a contestant.
    And, some people seem to get pretty bad edits.
    They either make the stars look like total divas, or make the pros look so.
    I doubt that Kate was as bad as they portrayed her. Or, that Mya , Nicole, Brandy, et al, are total divas, either.
    This is a highly scripted TV show. That's what gets people talking.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Dancing's Maks: Carrie Ann Had No Right to Try to Spank Me - Celebrity Blogs | TVGuide.com

Here's Maks's latest blog. I have to feel sorry for him. We don't know what he's done with his previous partners, and we don't know what else surrounding all the smacking that they didn't show us. According to this, it's an inside joke between him and Brandy. I'm not going to say I don't have pre-judgements on certain celebs going in, but I have changed my mind (for better or worse, depending on who it is). Brandy went into this season with people rooting for her, but people who didn't like her and considered her a diva. I had never thought that or seen that of her, but unlike Erin, Brandy's more well known and it doesn't seem like she (or editing) have done anything at winning people over. I feel sorry for Maks, I was really hoping this would be his season. I think he did, too The whole spanking thing has been beaten to death, but I think Len was wrong to bring it up, CA was wrong to try to spank him (but CA also went and spanked the tango group during season 9 for doing lifts-so it's CA), and I think it was blown up bigger than it needed to be.

I'm glad Maks isn't PC or fake and tries to give the editors only positive to spin. He's right, as he is every season, that it's supposed to be about the celebs. And the fact they can't critique them and their dance, but critique other stuff shows they don't know what they're talking about (or that they're fed by the producers in advance what to highlight). It seems like Maks has a really negative feeling on this season in general. He said in the above he's questioning his participation. I'll be bummed if he leaves.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-08-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4080294;
    Dancing's Maks: Carrie Ann Had No Right to Try to Spank Me - Celebrity Blogs | TVGuide.com

Here's Maks's latest blog. I have to feel sorry for him. We don't know what he's done with his previous partners, and we don't know what else surrounding all the smacking that they didn't show us. According to this, it's an inside joke between him and Brandy. I'm not going to say I don't have pre-judgements on certain celebs going in, but I have changed my mind (for better or worse, depending on who it is). Brandy went into this season with people rooting for her, but people who didn't like her and considered her a diva. I had never thought that or seen that of her, but unlike Erin, Brandy's more well known and it doesn't seem like she (or editing) have done anything at winning people over. I feel sorry for Maks, I was really hoping this would be his season. I think he did, too The whole spanking thing has been beaten to death, but I think Len was wrong to bring it up, CA was wrong to try to spank him (but CA also went and spanked the tango group during season 9 for doing lifts-so it's CA), and I think it was blown up bigger than it needed to be.

I'm glad Maks isn't PC or fake and tries to give the editors only positive to spin. He's right, as he is every season, that it's supposed to be about the celebs. And the fact they can't critique them and their dance, but critique other stuff shows they don't know what they're talking about (or that they're fed by the producers in advance what to highlight). It seems like Maks has a really negative feeling on this season in general. He said in the above he's questioning his participation. I'll be bummed if he leaves.
    Reading his blog sheds additional light on why he is so pissed off. His business is running dance studios, very successfully I may add, and his reputation as a teacher is important to him. Insinuating that he uses abusive tactics to get results with his students could impact his livelihood if potential ones decide to go elsewhere based on the show's skewed editing. His whole family, who run the business with him, would be affected as well, and that's not something to joke about.

I wouldn't be surprised if this keeps up, that Maks decides not to come back next season.

I don't think anything in the rehearsal package should be off-limits for the judges to discuss.

Maks has been on the show long enough to know how those packages can be edited. Don't give them the ammunition.
    If the judges had commented favourably on rehearsal footage that showed Maks in a very positive light I doubt he'd be complaining and saying that their comments should only be about Brandy's dancing.
    I don't recall him protesting when the judges admonished the Stars to treat their pros better after we saw a number of packages where the Stars were arguing with them.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4080601;
    I don't think anything in the rehearsal package should be off-limits for the judges to discuss.

Maks has been on the show long enough to know how those packages can be edited. Don't give them the ammunition.
    If the judges had commented favourably on rehearsal footage that showed Maks in a very positive light I doubt he'd be complaining and saying that their comments should only be about Brandy's dancing.
    I don't recall him protesting when the judges admonished the Stars to treat their pros better after we saw a number of packages where the Stars were arguing with them.
    I don't think the judges should be allowed to score on it. We can't guarantee whether they do or don't, just like we can't guarantee if CA really takes off a point for a lift or not. I think they should score on the dance itself, not what the pro does (since they aren't consistant on that anyway), not on whether they liked what went on in the rehearsal packages. And, I don't think CA should call a pro (or a celeb) up to spank them. She needs to grow up. I realize it's probably her show personality and that they encourage her to act like their version of Paula Abdul, but it's annoying. I did agree with them telling the celebs last season to trust their pros, more because Jake was being such a douche to Chelsie and Kate was telling Tony how to teach. But, I don't think the judges need to, because if it winds up being the couples fault, so be it. Jake learned that the hardway after getting put in the bottom 2 last season. I'm not sure he entirely believed it was his fault or he did anything wrong, but he became more aware that he wasn't as loved as he thought. I think their comments and critiques should be just about the dance. But then ABC wouldn't give us all this to talk about otherwise, and that's what they want. Pros making their partners cry, celebs breaking down in the confessionals over getting dinged on their dances, a pro storming out after a fight with their partner-it's what "reality" TV is all about.

As for Maks, I wish the show would stop picking on him, because they're probably going to wind up with 9 happy, Pollyanna-esque video packages every week for fear of a couple getting backlash. I'm glad some don't put on a front and hold it in. I don't think Maks's problem is Brandy or Karina, just this season in general. Which I agree with him, it is weird.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-09-2010 at 06:50 PM.

I don't think they should score on anything in the package either, but like you say we don't know they do.
    Brandy got good scores this week, I don't think she can have been docked anything because of the way Maks was shown to behave in the package.
    I do think it's fine for the judges to comment on things shown in the package though.
    If Maks is concerned about the way him slapping Brandy might impact us career outside of the show he really should have thought about that before he slapped her.
    "That's Numberwang!"

He smacked her hand and her bottom. It's not like he hauled off and slapped her across the face. I don't understand what the big deal is and I also feel that Brandy is a diva who is playing it up to get sympathy votes. I was ambivalent about her going into this, now I don't like her.

Also, I've seen female pros smack their partners but it's seen as playful. Since a male pro is doing it, it's abusive and bad technique.

I will be surprised if Maks returns next season. I almost didn't watch because Edyta left but if he leaves as well? I have no reason to watch this show any more.

This season seems so ugly and awkward, I wonder what is really going on behind the scenes that is making them all so uncomfortable.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fan

Did anyone think that they added the sound of the smack - that is I dont think the sound of Maks hitting Brandy was as loud in real life, I felt that they added the sound in editing...

Honestly, I dont think I would've paid attention to it at all if not for Len bringing it up in judging...

Oh, they might have added some extra oomph to the smack sound, wouldn't put it past them.
    What I don't understand is why Maks thinks it's "absurdly disrespectful" for Carrie Ann to attempt to slap him, but doesn't appear to think it's "absurdly disrespectful" for him to slap Brandy.
    That makes little sense to me.
    Obviousy the slaps didn't hurt Brandy physically, but he surely must realise that anything that's shown in the rehearsal footage might be commented on by the judges. Everything is fair play for comment.

Not looking forward to this week. The rumba is my least favourite dance.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread