+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

FORT Newbie

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Her dance "moves" (?) were walk, pose, stomp, pose, shake t & a. And her legs are really quite ugly. A longer dress to cover those thighs would have been much more appropriate and MODEST!!

What you have to look forward to:
    Sarah Palin to Appear in Dancing with the Stars Segment - iVillage

I was surprised that her outfit was so short.
    I wouldn't generally think anything of it, it wasn't a hugely revealing outfit, but I wouldn't call it "modest" like she claimed her outfits were going to be.

She seems very stiff and very clunky on her feet. Contrast her to someone like Kyle, who is clearly pleasantly plump, but was very light on his feet.
    I'm not impressed by Mark trying to create the illusion of dancing by having her plant her feet for sections of the dance and try to distract us from the fact she isn't moving her lower half by having her shake her hips or wag her finger.
    He's not the first pro to employ this tactic with his partner of course, but I hope he challenges her with more difficult choreography next week.
    Last edited by fluff; 09-24-2010 at 01:32 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by twinkietoz;4067878;
    Her dance "moves" (?) were walk, pose, stomp, pose, shake t & a. And her legs are really quite ugly. A longer dress to cover those thighs would have been much more appropriate and MODEST!!

What you have to look forward to:
    Sarah Palin to Appear in Dancing with the Stars Segment - iVillage
    Good God, NO!

I thought I was the only one who noticed that she has really ugly legs
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4067970;
    I was surprised that her outfit was so short.
    I wouldn't generally think anything of it, it wasn't a hugely revealing outfit, but I wouldn't call it "modest" like she claimed her outfits were going to be.

She seems very stiff and very clunky on her feet. Contrast her to someone like Kyle, who is clearly pleasantly plump, but was very light on his feet.
    I'm not impressed by Mark trying to create the illusion of dancing by having her plant her feet for sections of the dance and try to distract us from the fact she isn't moving her lower half by having her shake her hips or wag her finger.
    He's not the first pro to employ this tactic with his partner of course, but I hope he challenges her with more difficult choreography next week.
    I'm not surprised Bristol went for something more flashy over modest. She seemed to be having fun, so she probably decided to go for it and enjoy this experience. Also, she doesn't have any say on what she wears at least from what I understand. I thought her costume was tasteful, better than some others I've seen on here (for pros and celebs). I don't think she's fat, but is just a big girl, so maybe she does need something more flattering to her figure. It wasn't the best fit. Next week they have the quickstep, so she'll have to be moving non stop. That'll give better insight into how good her dancing really is.

Re: Kyle. I don't know what it is about the guys on here, but Kyle was like one of the athletes-light on his feet, for what dancing he did. He looked to me like Kurt, dancing on his toes and gliding across the floor. It seems when the woman are young and plump they clomp around, unless they're a ringer
    Last edited by karalott; 09-24-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4061518;
    This is my take on Bristol Palin being on DWTS. It was her choice to be on the show. And this isn't the first time that Bristol Palin has chosen a public path since the conclusion of the 2008 campaign. Most notably, she acted as a paid spokesperson for abstinence which I found pretty laughable considering her results in that area. It also had what I'm genuinely sure was an unintended effect of stigmatizing her son, who is a very young toddler. So I much prefer her doing DWTS to her hypocritically trolling the abstinence circuit as a cautionary tale at the expense of her son. With both, however, she has chosen to be a paid public figure and public criticism comes along with that. The best way to avert public criticism is, quite clearly, to choose to not put oneself in the public arena and not accept the paychecks for such appearances.

What I would love is for Bristol to take the funds she earns from DWTS and what she earned from public appearances the past year or so and pursue a college and graduate education. From what I've seen of her, she seems like a sweet person that is clearly not a natural performer and higher education is the best route, most likely, to respectably better her future. Unfortunately, education does not appear to be highly valued in her family the way it was for Chelsea Clinton and the Bush twins. Hopefully Bristol will come to that conclusion regarding education on her own, though, and any geographical distance and financial independence from Sarah Palin can only serve Bristol well given Sarah Palin's clear lack of education and exploitive nature toward her own children.

So, I'll be rooting for Bristol with that in mind but any other FoRTer is entitled to mileage that may vary. She is a reality show contestant and, as such, will be open to criticism the way any other reality show person is. And, at FoRT, reality show participants are fair game for negative criticism but attacking other posters - or other poster's motives for those criticisms - is not. And I'm sure there are Palin fan boards out there -- Sarah Palin's FB page comes to mind -- but FoRT isn't one of those.
    Its a fair analysis, I think, to say that no matter what her age, the girl HAS been guilty of some level of hypocrisy in the past. The effect on her son is a bit more debatable, if only because he'd be stigmatized ANYWAY being who and what he is whether or not she'd been a paid abstinence figurehead.

I believe she deserves fairness in respect towards criticism of her, meaning not automatically bunching her together with her mom (although she kind of invited that with her "Sarah" outfit at the beginning of her dance). At the same time, her own actions aren't exempt from being examined, just because she's a bit on the young side. Her mistakes aren't typical "she's just young" ones, since they include her unique actions AFTER getting pregnant, as well as that all too common teenage problem.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4068197;
    I'm not surprised Bristol went for something more flashy over modest. She seemed to be having fun, so she probably decided to go for it and enjoy this experience. Also, she doesn't have any say on what she wears at least from what I understand. I thought her costume was tasteful, better than some others I've seen on here (for pros and celebs). I don't think she's fat, but is just a big girl, so maybe she does need something more flattering to her figure. It wasn't the best fit. Next week they have the quickstep, so she'll have to be moving non stop. That'll give better insight into how good her dancing really is.

Re: Kyle. I don't know what it is about the guys on here, but Kyle was like one of the athletes-light on his feet, for what dancing he did. He looked to me like Kurt, dancing on his toes and gliding across the floor. It seems when the woman are young and plump they clomp around, unless they're a ringer
    I'm sure Mark designed her costume, and as he is not known for having very good "taste" in this area, based on some of the horrors he's put his other partners in, I didn't think hers was that bad. Clearly, she is a little chunky in the middle (some of it is probably baby-weight, but I don't think she was ever that svelte, or has that kind of body type to start with), so showing off her legs, which are okay and one of her better figure features, was preferable to showing off her mid-section. And IMO the so-called costume "modesty" she is referring to means that she will not be showing off any cleavage, which she seems to have quite a bit of. Thank goodness for that. But I expect that we will continue to see more leg in whatever Latin dances she performs in the future. In the standard ones, like QS, I expect her to be pretty covered up, and no doubt Mark will pull out the gloves.

I wonder how many teen moms out there would now say it is better to be abstinant (or make sure you are protected by more than one means of protection) than to have sex and get pregnant. I know several teen moms - from even when I was a teen - that have all said they wouldn't trade their children for the world however they would wait until older to have sex. I don't think that is hypocrisy. I think the teen mom has had a wake up call and would like for other teens to learn from their mistake.

Bristol was having unprotected sex and got pregnant. Rather than now advocating using protection if you're going to be hooking up, she advocates abstinence only -- just like her mother -- and will only speak about protection if pushed into a corner by an interviewer underscoring her hypocrisy. This stance is not only hypocritical, it can easily potentially result in more teen pregnancies.

It is hypocritical - since she was unable to abstain herself - and counterproductive since the messages teens need to hear are everything they can and should be doing to prevent pregnancy not an abstinence only method that is not foolproof given teen hormones, and evidenced by Bristol's son.

I think it's great if a teen who has been successful at abstinence speaks about that as a role model and appropriate for Bristol to be speaking about contraceptive protection, if she has a genuine interest in preventing teen pregnancy, since that is how she ended up becoming pregnant given that she went ahead and hooked up with Levi despite her mother's abstinence only stance -- which is, once again, an abstinence only message that resulted in yet another teen pregnancy.
    Last edited by chrisg; 09-24-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I was a teen mother and getting pregnant and having a child did NOT stop me from having sex. I was more careful, but I sure didn't turn to the abstinence only plan. So, I agree. She should be stepping away from her mother on this issue and giving the kids she speaks to ALL of the options.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4068352;
    ... but I don't think she was ever that svelte, or has that kind of body type to start with), ...
    Just one quick example.............http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com...in_366x547.jpg..........5 months AFTER Tripp was born.

+ Reply to Thread