+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677 LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4118428;
    Rumors are already circulating that the show wants Todd next season, which will make me wonder if maybe Sarah has something on the producers if that happens. His claim to fame besides being a Palin is what again? I know it's too much to wish for, but I really hope they steer clear of anymore politicial types.

... (snip)...

I don't know whether there's a sliver of truth or not as to whether Sarah forced Bristol to do the show; I really don't believe it. I do think it was tacky of Margaret to post it, but if she's bitter, I can't say I blame her. She wasn't going to win, or probably make it far, but Bristol took out a slew of better dancers in her path.
    IMO, what Margaret is doing is political, period. My first thought is what she's saying just sounds bitter and petty, and like she needs to find herself a tinfoil hat. My second thought: If she actually liked Bristol as she claims or cared about her at all, she wouldn't be stirring this stuff up in the first place, not after the powder scare and the additional death threats both Bristol AND Mark received according to news reports. The show is over, but she decided to stir stuff up to get her name out there and do her typical right wing bashing. I had no problem with her on the show, but I think what she's doing now is despicable.

To me, she has no reason to be bitter. The only reason she got on the show in the first place is that she is a Disney employee, so if she thinks anything is unfair, she might want to look in ye ol' mirror.

As for Todd, I don't believe he will be on the show. Just more made-up nonsense. But he is quite famous in his own right, actually. 4 time Iron Dog champion. Those familiar with the sport had heard of him long before anyone knew who Sarah Palin was. He first won in 1995.

I do think we'll get saddled with another controversial person next season, though. After all, finale ratings were up 23% from last fall. Plus there were reports that Ann Coulter had once been asked to do the show, and she refused. If she was really asked at one point, that should tell everyone they really don't give a flying fig if people don't care for political types on the show. I know if she was ever cast, I'd have to unplug my computer and block the entertainment shows on my TV for the whole season. I don't even want to think about what people would be saying in that scenario.
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 12-02-2010 at 03:17 AM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Don't get me wrong, I know Margaret's far left and that saying this now probably is politically motivated, especially since she probably didn't dare speak her peace while the season was airing. I don't believe it, because while my opinion of the Palin's changed for the worse, I don't think the way Bristol acted spoke of someone who was being played as a puppet.

Margaret gave me the impression that she thought she was better than she actually was (or maybe thought this was going to be a different experience than it ended up being). Her comedy schtick didn't go over well, and even Louis knew she'd cross the line in their samba when she was dropping all the gay adjectives in there. She stunk as a dancer, and I think there was no hope she'd remotely begin to improve. I do think she got thrown under the bus and they were more than happy to get rid of her. It surprised me in the first place she even agreed to do the show. As for Ann Coulter... I guess I should be thankful there's little chance she'd ever agree to do the show I also don't think there's anyway Todd would be doing the show. I'm sure they'll get someone controversial in some form next season, and maybe more than one person. However, much like Margaret's comedy schtick, I don't think it'll be the same ratings bonanza as Bristol provided, especially if said D-lister is following the same script. They're bound to lose more viewers in the end than gain.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4118433;
    Don't get me wrong, I know Margaret's far left and that saying this now probably is politically motivated, especially since she probably didn't dare speak her peace while the season was airing. I don't believe it, because while my opinion of the Palin's changed for the worse, I don't think the way Bristol acted spoke of someone who was being played as a puppet.
    The whole thing is really upsetting to me, to be honest. There's just no need in this, particularly with the death threats. Margaret is not stupid, so it's both disgusting and sad to me that she went this route in spite of that. Joy Behar was downright giddy over it on her show tonight, and she was pumping Brandy for info to try and corroborate it. Brandy handled it with class and wouldn't take the bait.

You know, like you, I didn't get Bristol's comments sometimes about deserving higher scores either. But I've been sick the last couple days, so I started watching the post-show interviews online for different couples. As far as I could tell, Mark was actually the one that started the scoring issue, and he started it at least way back in Week 3 in their OnTheRedCarpet interview. Said she was hammered on the scores, deserved better scores, and the judges were ignoring her technical improvement.

The theme continued off and on in interviews, and by the performance night before Kurt was voted off, Mark was downright furious over their scores and the fact that they were in the bottom. That combined with Mark's mom being quoted as saying the scores weren't right, and "nothing [Bristol] could do could please that woman [aka Carrie Anne]," a lot of things made more sense to me.

If someone knows nothing about dance, when they're being told by their teacher repeatedly that they are being ripped off in the scoring, and said teacher's champion mother echoes the same thought, most people would probably believe them.

I have to say, Mark has been riding my last nerve for a few seasons now, but aside from some of his bizarre choreography choices, he really impressed me this season. I think he did well with her, and he certainly handled the mess that the last few weeks became pretty well. He is out of my dog house for now. Derek is another matter, though.

I'll be brief and to the point: If anyone else named Palin sets foot on this show, I'm not watching anymore. It's just a fact.

If ABC allows anyone else from that family on the show, they will play right into that family's Machiavellian hands.

Or it will turn into an equal time situation and they will have to allow one of Joe Biden's kids on as well.

Seriously, they need to get out of the politician area, retired, family members or otherwise. It just sours things too much.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 12-02-2010 at 06:38 AM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4118469;
    I'll be brief and to the point: If anyone else named Palin sets foot on this show, I'm not watching anymore. It's just a fact.

If ABC allows anyone else from that family on the show, they will play right into that family's Machiavellian hands.

Or it will turn into an equal time situation and they will have to allow one of Joe Biden's kids on as well.

Seriously, they need to get out of the politician area, retired, family members or otherwise. It just sours things too much.
    I'm with you! I can't imagine they would do anything so blatantly political and stupid as to invite another Palin on the show.

Why would any Palin in their right mind, if there are any, go on the show after what happened to Bristol? I think it's a moot point.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4118469;

One article I read today said the show wanted Todd Palin, Meaghan McCain, and Eliot Spitzer. Meagan denied it on her twitter and said she has no idea why here name is out there; I might be feeling hopeful in that we can safely rule Todd out; Eliot I don't know. But I'm expecting a lot of rumors that'll make us want to tune out next season that wind up being false. I may very well join you if it looks like we'll be getting Bristol: The Sequel. Why should any of the other couples care to even put forth any effort when the clunker would get held to a different standard? Not to mention everything else that came with Bristol. I think if the show keeps up that pace, it'll eventually lose more viewers than gain. They'll alienate their normal fanbase, and those tuning in strictly to support the trainwrecks will be gone as well. The show already lost credibility this season; the couples were miserable, the judges and Tom were constantly on the defense. But I predict the trainwreck Palin factor, whatever and whoever it is, will be old next season, especially if it does really wind up being like Bristol part 2. I watch this show for the fun of it, and it was all drained this season. I figure the networks heads will get greedy and do something to try and top AI next season to be #1.

You know, like you, I didn't get Bristol's comments sometimes about deserving higher scores either. But I've been sick the last couple days, so I started watching the post-show interviews online for different couples. As far as I could tell, Mark was actually the one that started the scoring issue, and he started it at least way back in Week 3 in their OnTheRedCarpet interview. Said she was hammered on the scores, deserved better scores, and the judges were ignoring her technical improvement.

The theme continued off and on in interviews, and by the performance night before Kurt was voted off, Mark was downright furious over their scores and the fact that they were in the bottom. That combined with Mark's mom being quoted as saying the scores weren't right, and "nothing [Bristol] could do could please that woman [aka Carrie Anne]," a lot of things made more sense to me.
    I remember Mark complaining about the scores, but I thought they did it together. I couldn't tell at the time if they (mainly Mark) were saying it just because, or really meant it. As the season went on, I realize they were serious, and thought them even more delusional than they already were. Mark should thank his lucky stars they were managing 7s. That in itself was overscoring 99% of the time. However, I've noticed in the past Mark doesn't take criticism well and often has a sour look when he gets scores he doesn't agree with (or winds up in the bottom 2).

I have to say, Mark has been riding my last nerve for a few seasons now, but aside from some of his bizarre choreography choices, he really impressed me this season. I think he did well with her, and he certainly handled the mess that the last few weeks became pretty well. He is out of my dog house for now. Derek is another matter, though.
    I was looking forward to seeing Mark blow a gasket this season, but he did impress me with how he handled Bristol, and seemed rather protective of her. In the past, when he had partners he knew he was going nowhere with, he seemed to give up on. Since Bristol's been his worst, I figured he'd be dropping hints that he wanted out. He impressed me that he really hung in there. However, I'm still not a fan. Choreography wise, I think he's one of the weaker ones, as his choreography seems to revolve more around bad gimmicks or him dancing like a maniac in his OTT manner. Derek didn't bug me too bad this season. But I wouldn't miss them if they were gone for a season or two

Todd Palin next season - Willow the season after that?????
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

For the record, I don't think any of the Palins will be on next year. Sarah is way too busy and is a Fox News contributer which may cause them to say it's a conflict of interest for her to be on ABC which has it's own news wing (TLC doesn't.) Todd is very busy with doing things for Sarah as well as all of the things he does with fishing, racing etc. I would love him on there because he is rugged and good looking and a pretty good athlete (not that it will make him a good dancer.) He is also more of a "star" in the traditional sense because of the racing (he is almost more "famous" to outdoorsmen in Alaska that Sarah is as the former governer. I loved that when they went to fish the Halibut, people recognized and wanted Todd's autograph and not Sarah's. She was shocked at first, but then enjoyed the moment.) Willow is too young and I don't think Sarah would want her to do the show.

Every year, We always get a bunch of rumors to the cast that rarely pan out into actual casting. Some of it may be the "wish list" of producers, some of it may be speculation on the part of the media as to who they "wish" would be on, and some is the media reacting to the ratings and hoopla that Bristol making it the finals created. They want to keep the discussion going to sale advertisements and drive ratings which is why ABC is always so "secretive" as to who they cast for the next season and don't "correct" or re-direct the media, but also have a pap statement about not revealing their cast until they are getting ready to start the season and they are announced on TV. I don't think that Todd Palin, Ann Coulter, Eliot Spitzer or Lindsay Lohan will be on next year. I could be wrong, but I don't put much stock in the names they throw out way before ABC does casting. The "spoilers" to believe are the ones that come out right before casting is announced as the agents/assistants/reps of the celebrities leak the information.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

FORT Newbie

I have read the speculations about Todd Palin too. I BEG the producers not to go down that road. Please don't let the show descend into political theater like so much else in our culture.

I started watching DWTS in season 3, soon after my daughter was killed (4 years ago next week). It was the only TV show I could watch that didn't have emotional triggers, that was fun and happy, that truly helped me to escape. My whole extended family got turned on to the show and we enjoyed calling or texting each other after different performances. My daughter had been taking ballroom dancing in college the semester she was killed, and I liked to imagine her watching with me.

I've LOVED every season until this past one. I don't like Sarah Palin at all and didn't enjoy hearing her "poor me" routine echoed by Bristol. However, I honestly would have felt the same if the child of a political figure I like had gone on there, been a mediocre dancer, and made it to the finals because of an organized political bloc of callers. Of course mediocre dancers have been kept on for a few extra weeks before, but certainly not all the way to the finals. What really turned me off was that I felt it polluted the spirit of the show by importing the nasty "gotcha" aspect of current American politics into what has been a fun, distracting, frothy few hours of weekly entertainment. I was really disappointed in this season.

Bringing Todd Palin (especially) or another polarizing political figure on to the program will ruin it again for me.

+ Reply to Thread