+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 216162636465666768697071727374757677 LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 768

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

  1. #701
    FORT Fogey bevorules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Leander, TX
    Posts
    1,204

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4114073;
    There have been a number of 'hater' comments from Bristol over the last several days but one time last night Bristol specifically said, “haters who don’t think I deserve to be here”. That clearly includes calling those haters who don’t think she deserved to advance that far based upon her dancing ability. And that’s precisely what the majority of media reports considered -- an objective assessment based upon merit. Derek’s jaw literally dropped open when Bristol advanced over Brandy and I highly doubt that that is because he is a 'hater' but because he knows dance ability and was genuinely shocked based upon that knowledge.

    And I don’t agree that Bristol is an equal dancer to Kyle based upon the higher technical proficiency Kyle seems to be able to demonstrate - particularly when not dancing in hold – and regularly doing more difficult choreography (anyone else’s MMV). And while I’m not sure about a conspiracy, it is a fact that right wing groups organized to power vote for Bristol and that many did so based upon freely stated hyperpartisanship. The comments on those sites weren’t particularly lovely either. And having people make unnecessary hyperpartisan remarks about things is another reason to ratchet down rhetoric -- not ratchet it up which clearly only creates more division.

    I understand Bristol is young but I'm not that much older than her and I can't imagine behaving in such a way at any age not to mention complaining about low scores that were quite generously high to say the least. And if she lacks the maturity to have handled this experience appropriately, then she did have no business being there at all – in addition lacking the dance ability to have merited her a F3 position.
    I disagree with your entire post.
    Re Bristol, nothing in her comment suggested she thought people with actual questions of her ability as reasons for her being there as the H word we are not allowed to say, and most of the media reports I saw didn't talk much about her dancing other than the judges scores and focused on the tea party and voting conspiracies and bashed Sarah Palin and their family. I think the "don't deserve to be here" part was directed at those demanding that Brandy left because of conspiracy theory which is what ABC defended her all week on and it became their story line. Remember TPTB are in control of what we see with Bristol.
    Re Kyle: His footwork was a mess in the Tango and he stood for 8 seconds in the cha cha while Lacy danced around him and his basic cha cha was very mediocre and slow. Bristol came out doing the footwork of the cha cha immediately, was faster and cleaner. Remember what Len said, they are opposite sides of the coin. Bristol is about footwork and precision (which was good in all four of her finale dances) and Kyle is about energy and charisma. That is why Len favored Bristol in the tango over Kyle is because she was cleaner and better technically. Don't get me wrong, I like Kyle. Jennifer is the best dancer and they didn't want her beat thus the 10's despite a stumble and a lift. CA didn't even mention the lift much less dock it, so I knew they wanted to guarantee a Jen win.

    As to Bristol, we will just have to agree to disagree. I like her, think she handled herself great and was proud of every minute of her performance and video packages in the finale.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

  2. #702
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4114073;
    There have been a number of 'hater' comments from Bristol over the last several days but one time last night Bristol specifically said, “haters who don’t think I deserve to be here”. That clearly includes calling those haters who don’t think she deserved to advance that far based upon her dancing ability. And that’s precisely what the majority of media reports considered -- an objective assessment based upon merit. Derek’s jaw literally dropped open when Bristol advanced over Brandy and I highly doubt that that is because he is a 'hater' but because he knows dance ability and was genuinely shocked based upon that knowledge.

    And I don’t agree that Bristol is an equal dancer to Kyle based upon the higher technical proficiency Kyle seems to be able to demonstrate - particularly when not dancing in hold – and regularly doing more difficult choreography (anyone else’s MMV). And while I’m not sure about a conspiracy, it is a fact that right wing groups organized to power vote for Bristol and that many did so based upon freely stated hyperpartisanship. The comments on those sites weren’t particularly lovely either. And having people make unnecessary hyperpartisan remarks about things is another reason to ratchet down rhetoric -- not ratchet it up which clearly only creates more division.

    I understand Bristol is young but I'm not that much older than her and I can't imagine behaving in such a way at any age not to mention complaining about low scores that were quite generously high to say the least. And if she lacks the maturity to have handled this experience appropriately, then she did have no business being there at all – in addition lacking the dance ability to have merited her a F3 position.
    Bristol said last week on her facebook or twitter that the "haters were out to destroy". I realize she's 20, but sometimes I wonder who's forgetting it's a cheesy little dance show. I'm only a few years older than Bristol; the show really gave her more credit than she deserved. I know it's not easy being in the spotlight and having people attack you, but point is, when you're in the spotlight, and there for the reasons she is, people are going to criticize and you have to learn that not everyone is going to love you. Not everyone is going to like her on this show, but it doesn't mean they hate the woman. Frankly, she's lucky she got this far, because without the Palin last name and the controversy, she would have been gone before Florence. She and Mark looked as though they were expecting to go out in 3rd last night, and dare I say Mark looked relieved? I think he had to know deep down what Bristol winning would do.

    I thought it was uncalled for, and unprofessional, for a producer of the show to actually say Bristol's a better technical dancer than Kyle just to try and justify why she's still here I'm just glad the season is over, and hopefully next is much better cheesiness and fluff. If Bristol wants to stick around in entertainment, she needs a thicker skin, and needs to realize not everyone disliking her has political motives. I didn't dislike her on this show for that, she just stunk as a dancer and the fact her fans gloated over taking out better dancers, plus her attitude and comments over the last couple of weeks, were it for me. Next to the term "haters", I also hate the excuse she's a young kid so she doesn't know any better.

  3. #703
    FORT Fogey anders332's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,406

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Probably been mentioned but I just watched the show last night and caught her finger comment:

    Going out there and winning this thing would mean a lot. It would be like a big middle finger to everyone who hates my mom and hates me.
    I couldn’t believe my ears – why did they leave that in there – a 5 second blurb like that was left in, just as all her other hate comments – to what end?? I don’t know.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

    Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

  4. #704
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,094

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisg
    Bristol specifically said, “haters who don’t think I deserve to be here”.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevorules
    Bristol, nothing in her comment suggested she thought people with actual questions of her ability as reasons for her being there as the H word we are not allowed to say
    C'mon.

    Bevorules, I didn't watch the show, but caught the dances on youtube. Dancing IS about learning the steps (as simplistic as they were for Bristol... but it's so much more because dancing is a "performance art."
    It's a lot like acting. You can memorize your lines, learn your stage directions and follow it to a tee and still be declared a horrible actor. Bristol had zero energy, walked through her steps much of the time and simply did not portray the character of the dance.

    Dancing, like acting, is NOTHING without performance. If you aren't performing, you might as well just go home. And as much as they tried to get Bristol to perform, she was having none of it. She admitted as much herself.

    That's a wrap for me. I'll tune in next year for the first show and if Derek has anything but a clunker, I'm tuning out!

  5. #705
    FORT Fogey Prism's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    To be fair, the Palin girl did dance rather well for a neophyte. Of course she was overscored and overvoted. And of course she responded to loss in the traditional Palin manner: crude remarks, resentment, slandering of people around her, middle finger jabs, nasty-mouth little sister joining in the fray.

    It's the Palin way, totally expected, totally in character for that gang of lowbrows. I just got over it, they're not worth much thought.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

    Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

  6. #706
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Mark Ballas' 'DWTS' journal: The last dance | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Local News

    Here's Mark's final blog for the season (seems like most pros do blogs in some form anymore-though Maks's is the only one I can ever find). I know Mark's parents are legends in the ballroom community, but I had no idea his parents trained so many of the DWTS pros (9 from this season). And the blog touches on why a win for one of the trio is a win for all

    I'm mostly sorry Mark had to deal with all the drama Bristol faced, similar to Tony and Kate last season. I do hope the show steers away from casting anyone this controversial for a long time. I'm not sure how much say the producers have over the big heads at ABC, especially if they can make deals with politicians for "exclusives".

  7. #707
    FORT Fan Oompaloopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    370

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Bristol couldn't dance, but she did improve over time. Still, my complaint, (although for the most part it's up to the voting public) I don't think it's a fair game when you have seasoned dancers like Jennifer Grey and Brandy who have dance background and put them up against unseasoned dancers who have little or no experience. It should be more evenly cast in terms of skill level. Just my opinion.

    I was ticked when Mak's was kicked off since I watch the show for the sole reason he is on it. What a hottie!
    "Never Give Up" ~~~Winston Churchill

  8. #708
    FORT Fogey ryansmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    901

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4114662;
    Mark Ballas' 'DWTS' journal: The last dance | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Local News

    Here's Mark's final blog for the season (seems like most pros do blogs in some form anymore-though Maks's is the only one I can ever find). I know Mark's parents are legends in the ballroom community, but I had no idea his parents trained so many of the DWTS pros (9 from this season). And the blog touches on why a win for one of the trio is a win for all

    I'm mostly sorry Mark had to deal with all the drama Bristol faced, similar to Tony and Kate last season. I do hope the show steers away from casting anyone this controversial for a long time. I'm not sure how much say the producers have over the big heads at ABC, especially if they can make deals with politicians for "exclusives".
    Oh, I think he had a great time this season ... he and Bristol did, after all make it to the Finals.

    Thanks for the blog link. Heartwarming to read of Mark's pride for taking a sweet young girl with no experience, whatsoever, and transforming her into a dancer!

  9. #709
    FORT Fogey justCoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    I agree ryansmommy that it was a heartwarming read. I also liked seeing him on GMA. He seems really sweet with her and I haven't always liked his personality. I was also interested to hear when he said that Bristol was so hard-working. I think it was on GMA, when he said that Bristol put in so much time. The pride he has for her is touching.

    Despite all the hoopla I liked Bristol and her dancing. I actually liked her paso better than Brandy's. While Brandy was obviously more technical there was something off-putting (IMO) about her for most of the season. I had started to warm up to her, but there was something about Bristol that I liked from day one.

  10. #710
    FORT Fogey peacemar33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    910

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Bristol made over $345,000 dollars doing DWTS and she makes $35,000 per speaking engagement.

    It sure does beat being a receptionist...

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.