+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677 LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4113759;
    Sadly, it seems, that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
    Apparently, neither did the willow
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

I also dislike the term "haters" being thrown about so much on this show and other reality based shows. Just because you don't like someone, or think they belong, does not make you a hater.

I don't like how the victim card was played over and over again by Bristol. On the day of the semi-finals that article ran about how Maks didn't want her there and did not think she belonged. Then this past monday she was saying how all the haters are out to destroy her. Another convenient bit of rhetoric released just in time for voting.

I was actually enjoying her on the show. In the beginning, but everytime she opened her mouth and played the victim card I found her tactics quite like her mother's. A chip off the old block indeed.

We don't hate you, Bristol. Some of us think you did not belong in the finale due to the fact that you were not a better dancer then either Brandy or Audrina.

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;4113771;
    Based upon Willow's homophobic slurs, apparently not.

And taking it back to Bristol and the dancing, there is no accountability when legitimate fact-based critical comments are excused away by throwing hater around in response as Bristol has done. And the resulting effect is that it is very easy to not be accountable for anything in life when anyone who has a fact-based, legitimate criticism is conveniently a "hater" who is "out to destroy".

And Bristol even complains about being disappointed in the low scores from the judges when all of us who watch this show every season know how ridiculously over scored and over praised Bristol was all season by the judges. It seems that Bristol actually believes she is a great dancer that deserves all tens.

And it is exactly this lack of personal accountability when it comes to conveniently calling fact-based criticism hate that inevitably leads to that kind of wildly warped perception of reality.

ETA: And thanks for the reminder of what Bristol said about Maks, ASK. There is a clear pattern at work when it comes to Bristol's comments.
    Last edited by chrisg; 11-24-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules;4113770;
    Bristol had media report after media report saying that she was terrible (she is not by the way, not as good as Jennifer, equal to Kyle, not terrible.) There is someone moved in next door, watching every move they make to write tell all book. I don't think people who question her dancing are haters as long as their criticism comes from a genuine opinion or belief that she doesn't dance well. But some of the comments on the ends of these media reports call her names, judge her on her baby, and call her ugly, nasty names. Those are who I think she is referring to. As well as those who continue to hammer away in the press that the Tea Party did a conspiracy to get her there. I personally don't have a problem with what she said. I would've felt the same way in her place. I am not sure I would have said it aloud, but I certainly would have felt it in my heart or expressed it to Mark.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4106652;
    Last night proved to me what I've always thought about her - she is not "sweet" or "nice". "No offense, but I'm not fake" - how the hell is that not offensive to the people she's competing with? A poor dancer and what little personality she has is not pleasant.
    Totally agree with your entire post, Rattus.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

The scary thing about some of the competition reality shows is that "fans" actually act upon their obsessions over the participants. Bristol recieved threats because some nut case was too emotionally charged to watch a tv show that had little consequence. If she had won, how would that have changed anyone's life? I can't quite see how Bristol's stint on DWTS is going to get her mother elected other than it continues the attention on the family, mostly negative attention. I can't even see how it increases sales in her mother's book.

Fans of DWTS are disappointed with the way this show played out, but like most people here have said, production is to blame for that. Bristol has to take responsibility for some of the dumb comments she has made and the attitude she projected. For people like me who simply cannot stomach anything Palin and wish anything that draws attention to them would just go away, the solution was turing off the tv and trying not to read this thread.

There is someone moved in next door, watching every move they make to write tell all book.
    For people who constantly search for any kind of publicity like a moth to a flame, and who drag their children into the spotlight whenever convenient, I find this issue ludicrous.
    Last edited by jelle; 11-24-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

The thing is, there are LOADS of people in the public eye who are subjected to far worse criticism than Bristol and for much longer. Most either ignore it or at least handle it with a little grace and class, rather than attacking the critics. Of course, her mother never takes the high road, so why should Bristol? Apparently, the apple doesn't fall from the narcissistic tree.

If she's not mature enough to handle criticism, I'd suggest she get OUT of the spotlight, because it's not going to get any better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;4113771;
    TAKE A BOW!!! Good one.

There have been a number of 'hater' comments from Bristol over the last several days but one time last night Bristol specifically said, “haters who don’t think I deserve to be here”. That clearly includes calling those haters who don’t think she deserved to advance that far based upon her dancing ability. And that’s precisely what the majority of media reports considered -- an objective assessment based upon merit. Derek’s jaw literally dropped open when Bristol advanced over Brandy and I highly doubt that that is because he is a 'hater' but because he knows dance ability and was genuinely shocked based upon that knowledge.

And I don’t agree that Bristol is an equal dancer to Kyle based upon the higher technical proficiency Kyle seems to be able to demonstrate - particularly when not dancing in hold – and regularly doing more difficult choreography (anyone else’s MMV). And while I’m not sure about a conspiracy, it is a fact that right wing groups organized to power vote for Bristol and that many did so based upon freely stated hyperpartisanship. The comments on those sites weren’t particularly lovely either. And having people make unnecessary hyperpartisan remarks about things is another reason to ratchet down rhetoric -- not ratchet it up which clearly only creates more division.

I understand Bristol is young but I'm not that much older than her and I can't imagine behaving in such a way at any age not to mention complaining about low scores that were quite generously high to say the least. And if she lacks the maturity to have handled this experience appropriately, then she did have no business being there at all – in addition lacking the dance ability to have merited her a F3 position.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

We actually used to prohibit people here at FORT for using the term "hater" because it's truly annoying. No one here is "hating" for having an opinion about Bristol and her stint on the show. It was really only a problem when we used to cover America's Next Top Model, which tended to attract a young crowd. They certainly reacted to being called a hater and inevitably it would lead to fights.

Long story short: Bristol, if you were at FORT, you'd probably be banned. Sorry.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread