+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 175758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4111237;
    OK, now I've heard it all--according to Newsday's story on "the Bristol stomp" one viewer was so upset she didn't leave last week that he shot his poor innocent television!
    Let's get a grip, folks, it's reality TV, is not all that real, it's just a show, and even though I'm not a regular clearly factors other than dancing enter into the voting. I agree it would be nice if dancing were major, but given that some contestants can already dance when they start I can see an argument for "most improved" being made, as well as "best dancer". Not that I know whether Bristol is even most improved, but even if she isn't and wins, and wins because of her mom and not her own personality, that would be more a reflection on Palin fans and the lengths they will go to than on the show.

I do think it would be a good idea to lay off the politicians for a while though--I can only imagine that things will get worse between now and 2012.
    As to Bristol on Bachelorette... so the guys would be

competing to have Sarah as their mother-in-law?
    I always thought this was a popularity show that featured dancing. The Palin girl is great for ratings, and even though her family has ugly political beliefs, the girl IS learning to dance. I'm in favor of cutting her some slack bu please let Jennifer win; after all, she actually does know how to dance.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4112143;
    [snipped] I always thought this was a popularity show that featured dancing.
    That's exactly what it is and what it will stay. The producers want to keep the contestants who will attract the most viewers.

Audrina was a good dancer, but the audience didn't connect with her for some reason. Jerry Rice outlasted better dancers because viewers wanted to see him (and he really improved in the last couple of episodes). Contestants coming in without a fan base are at a huge disadvantage, especially in the first few weeks. I remember a young male model who showed a lot of promise in his first dance. He got voted off the first episode over worse dancers because he had no fan base. "Unknowns" can succeed on this show if they are talented and stick around long enough to build a connection.

If you want a show where the best dancer wins, watch the ballroom dancing competitions on PBS. (but by viewership, that's apparently not what people want to see)
    Last edited by Kip; 11-23-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: correct typo

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4112104;
    I want to know where Len got the crack he was smoking last night. How he can seriously think Bristol deserved the same scores as Kyle is beyond me.
    I want some of that crack

Using the cage should've given them a tongue lashing the way he did Maks and ERin's FS last season - blatant overscoring, like we're idiots.....
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4112180;
    I want some of that crack

Using the cage should've given them a tongue lashing the way he did Maks and ERin's FS last season - blatant overscoring, like we're idiots.....
    Remember the criticism that Maks and Brandy got for 'fooling around' during the first few bars of their insta-dance?

Bristol has improved slightly, but not enough to win. Not enough to even still be in the competition. And if they pan to Sarah one more time, I might actually cry. It's not supposed to be about HER. It's supposed to be about her daughter.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I think they're generally a little more lenient with props during the freestyle, but it's absolutely en pointe to cite Len's reaction to the bed last season in pointing out another inconsistency that favours Bristol.
    I did think that it was more the fact it was a bed and not just a prop that Len took exception to, but that might be because I was projecting my irritation at the tedious "are they/aren't they?" that consumed all mention of Erin and Maks last season.

I felt the scarf, whatever you want to call it, was just a way for Mark to extend "close hold" with Bristol. She's far better when she's dancing closely with him and the scarf was actually something of a distraction from her clodhopping. Spending time wrapping a scarf around each other certainly cuts down on the amount of footwork you have to do.

Also, I said this in the show thread, but Mark was mental in their first dance.
    Talk about overcompensate. It was like he was possessed. Their energy was so mismatched.
    "That's Numberwang!"

ah yes - the scarf - soo much time was spent with the scarf and it was definitely a way for Mark to direct her dancing.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4112196;
    ah yes - the scarf - soo much time was spent with the scarf and it was definitely a way for Mark to direct her dancing.
    What dancing?

sadams: I don't question Bristol for still being here due to fan votes. No matter if it is political, the underdog factor, she is most improved, her rational that she is relatable etc. Everyone has a say when they vote and she has recieved enough fan support to stay. What I do question is the judges scores. How can her score be even close to the other contestants. That pays a role in the final outcome and the judges are feeding right into her still being here. Why have they not been interviewed/questioned or given a statement?

I have a different take on why Bristol is still there. They have kept her in the show because she has brought in new fans (the Tea Party group). ABC hopes some of these fans will come back next year and increase their ratings. ABC will not allow Bristol to win no matter how many fan votes she gets. That would be bad publicity for DWTS, keeping her until almost the end has increased viewers. Her winning is another story. In my humble opinion, the producers only look at votes to see who should go and who should stay right from the get go. I seriously doubt votes count for much else. The judges will make sure they over score the person that brings more fans to the show. I'm with everyone else on not having political figures on the show. People have very strong opinions on politics and should not be a part of how long the dancer stays. If the viewer votes counts for so much (as the producers want us to believe) why aren't the exact number of votes made public.

Jennifer will win this because she was a ringer from the very start. To make the show appear somewhat ligit they need a pretty good dancer to win. Could be why Derek always gets a great dancer the show knows he will pull out a win or a near win, he may have enough fans on his own to pull it off. That way the show appears on the up and up.

I don't vote because I've decided it's a waste of time. I watch because I love watching the pros dance. It's amazing what these talented people can do with people that have no talent for dancing. All of these pros deserve credit for what they accomplish.

The only time I have been totally disgusted with the show was the way Bruno talked to Michael Bolton. He had absolutely no dance skills but he didn't deserve what Bruno dished out. Bruno's disrespect for this man was over the top. That type of behavior should not be tolerated by the producers. The disrespect for Michael Bolton bothers me a lot more than Bristol being carried to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4112205;
    What dancing?
    touché

I am a Bristol fan, but I will be happy with whatever happens tonight. I didn't like the freestyle, but felt like Bristol did the best she could with it. I didn't like the choreography or the style Mark picked and was very disappointed and felt like he let her down. I hope she does well on the dances tonight to redeem. I think if America is voting for who should win it should be Jennifer, though I thought Kyle bar none did the best freestyle and should have had a 30 and Jen should have had a nine or two. I do want to say I was proud of Bristol's jive. Way better than the first time. Best improvement in my opinion because she had the furthest to come. Jen's Paso the first time was good, and she made it great, and I liked Kyle's foxtrot the first time and thought they underscored it, so they didn't have as far to go.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

+ Reply to Thread