+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 77 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

OK, now I've heard it all--according to Newsday's story on "the Bristol stomp" one viewer was so upset she didn't leave last week that he shot his poor innocent television!
    Let's get a grip, folks, it's reality TV, is not all that real, it's just a show, and even though I'm not a regular clearly factors other than dancing enter into the voting. I agree it would be nice if dancing were major, but given that some contestants can already dance when they start I can see an argument for "most improved" being made, as well as "best dancer". Not that I know whether Bristol is even most improved, but even if she isn't and wins, and wins because of her mom and not her own personality, that would be more a reflection on Palin fans and the lengths they will go to than on the show.

I do think it would be a good idea to lay off the politicians for a while though--I can only imagine that things will get worse between now and 2012.
    As to Bristol on Bachelorette... so the guys would be competing to have Sarah as their mother-in-law?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

As I understand it, the voting is 50% from what the 3 judges vote and 50% from the audience. Maybe a better balance, and one that would keep the focus on the dancing, would be 75% from the 3 judges and 25% from the audience, so that the audience is like a 4th judge....not like 3 judges.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4111275;
    As I understand it, the voting is 50% from what the 3 judges vote and 50% from the audience. Maybe a better balance, and one that would keep the focus on the dancing, would be 75% from the 3 judges and 25% from the audience, so that the audience is like a 4th judge....not like 3 judges.
    I would only agree to this if they changed judges. If Len was cloned, maybe. CA and Bruno are too often swayed by flashiness, audience reaction, politics or crushes on favorite celebrities or pros. We complained when we felt like Nicole or Gilles was crammed down our throats. I think they should keep it how it is, but I agree on the other thread that they should do more demonstrations of the dance and freeze the frame on each major step so viewer is more informed/educated about what to look for (like a voter's guide) and they should judge based on how the celebrity/pro does on that does the best with the routine based on those steps. BTW I am not sure, but maybe your post and my reply should be on the other thread about thoughts of improvement of the show. I am not sure. Mods--Help! Thanks.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Please keep in mind that this is not a fan site. Posters are free to voice their opinions - positive or negative - about reality show contestants. If we keep getting snide remarks and attacks on other posters' opinions, this thread will be closed.

I cannot remember who was in the finals the season that Shawn Johnson won. What I do remember is that I was NOT planning on voting for her in the finals UNTIL I saw the free style. That was when she won my votes.

Tonight I am SO excited. That is what will help me make my final decision on who I vote for.

I personally like Bristol and Mark. My goodness she is only 20 years old. She was asked to be on the show and took the opportunity. I have voted for her early on. I have also changed my vote when deserved more by another.

I will vote for the BEST DANCER, especially in the free style. No sympathy vote because Bristol is being treated unfairly as a person. (which I think she is on that count)

YET if by some wild chance of fate Mark can pull off a miracle in the free style (cannot quite see her doing back flips like Shawn) then she will get my vote.

I have a feeling that Kyle might be the one to pull that off. Jennifer is just as determined but may be limited because of her neck. We shall see. I think that Bristol has every right to be there as long as people are voting for her of which she has NO control over.

May the BEST dancer win!!!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4111236;
    It's annoying to me that the judges seem to not take the difficulty of the routine into account when scoring, but Len in particular will dock points if there isn't enough content specific to the dance type.
    He docked Nicole last season and Kyle this because of the choreography.
    There should be some acknowledgement of the degree of difficulty of the routine.
    If you dance a simple routine perfectly should you get a higher score than someone who dances an intricate and advanced routine but makes a small error? IMO, no, you shouldn't.
    I wish I could recell the scores from the week where the judges gave technical marks too. I think CA gave Bristol and Mark a 4. That's what she should have gotten from all the judges for at least one of her dances this season (i.e The Monkees).
    I would agree, but the problem is, sometimes you get horrible hoofer celebs like Bristol, Kate, etc, and have no choice but to dumb down the choreography just so they don't look even worse. I think Len docking for a routine not being traditional is fine, but some of the things all 3 of them attempt to ding for need to be off limits (referring to last season when Len took a point off Erin's samba due to Maks taking his shirt off).

I remember the double score week, Bristol did get marked lower on her technical scores (she did get a 4 from CA). I think by only allowing a score from 1-10, and the judges having their own criteria on how they score in the first place, plus having to combine the technical/entertainment aspects in that small frame. I think the judges can give too much leeway where they want to justify giving the scores they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Footballmom;4111550;
    I cannot remember who was in the finals the season that Shawn Johnson won.....
    Gilles Marini and Melissa Rycroft. Gilles was the better dancer, but his freestyle and Melissa's sucked compared to Mark and Shawn's.

The Freestyle can make or break a win, so it's important for all the couples.

Thanks ASassyKat for refreshing my memory. You are so right. At this point in the competition the slate is clean. If Bristol does to a backflip I will personally deliver my votes....

I want to know where Len got the crack he was smoking last night. How he can seriously think Bristol deserved the same scores as Kyle is beyond me.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4112104;
    I want to know where Len got the crack he was smoking last night. How he can seriously think Bristol deserved the same scores as Kyle is beyond me.
    I know.... he embarrassed himself on that one.... good grief, giving Bristol 8's was really stretching it, but a 9??????
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

+ Reply to Thread