+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 77 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

FORT Fan

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

I daresay that if Bristol wasn't politically connected, more would be rooting for her as the underdog. She doesn't have experience, unlike Jennifer and Brandy,who were thought to be shoo ins thus leading to another "ringer" season that everyone complained about. So what is it we want then?
    Yes her family is Republican, but I haven't seen them say anything political on the show. I would venture to say that there have been more Democrats on this show as contestants, maybe even some contributing or being active in the Democrat Party. Are we going to check the contestants political alignment next season and then decide how to vote?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4108180;
    I don't take gossip as gold. I read the article that MFW originally posted in the Media thread and it has factual links to some of the actual sites pushing for this. Such as the link back to this one taken directly from the article:

snip ...
    For conservatives, enjoy the fun of finally, at last, getting a taste of what it’s like to be a Democrat. You can vote as much as you want. You can vote using all sorts of names. You can vote all day. You can’t get paid to vote, because you aren’t really a Democrat, silly, but you can get as close as you can possibly get without being in a union or taking part in ACORN.

...snip
    (Speaking as a card carrying Democrat, that particular potshot is too funny for it is sooo true ... LOL)

Other than the political digs, there is very little difference between that post and others I saw in support of Season 9 Shawn and Woz on various sites, and even Melissa at this and other Bachelor sites. Some fans strategize to power vote ... in fact it was at FORT that I learned the mechanics of power voting.

For whatever it is worth, there are plenty of people voting for Bristol who don't give a hoot about the Teaparty movement or Sarah Palin. And. after this weeks hoopla and because of my complete distain for bullies, I am thinking of being one of those casting power votes for Bristal come Monday evening. Seriously.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy;4110134;
    [snipped]...

For whatever it is worth, there are plenty of people voting for Bristol who don't give a hoot about the Teaparty movement or Sarah Palin. And. after this weeks hoopla and because of my complete distain for bullies, I am thinking of being one of those casting power votes for Bristal come Monday evening. Seriously.
    I had been voting for Brandy/Maks. After Brandy's departure, I was contemplating voting for Kyle in the finals. But like you, all this hatred and meanness directed personally at Bristol has made me want to vote for her.

I'll wait for the freestyle though - a couple of times the freestyle has changed my mind about who gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy;4110134;
    (Speaking as a card carrying Democrat, that particular potshot is too funny for it is sooo true ... LOL)

Other than the political digs, there is very little difference between that post and others I saw in support of Season 9 Shawn and Woz on various sites, and even Melissa at this and other Bachelor sites. Some fans strategize to power vote ... in fact it was at FORT that I learned the mechanics of power voting.

I'm well aware of that ryansmommy with regard to power voting but doing it for political reasons - and invoking hyperpartisanship to do so - is the more specific point. There are dozens of sites doing this and much of it is not in a positive way to vote for Bristol but to power vote out of contemptuousness for the other political 'side'. In addition to the many others posted about, there is Operation Bristol from one right wing group and Free Republic is the most recent site mentioned in People that has 300,000 members and a dedicated effort to vote for Bristol by invoking hyperpartisanship. And that's great that you find it amusing as a card carrying Democrat because as a registered Independent, I'm over it.

There certainly probably are some people voting for Bristol for non-political reasons but I doubt that comes close to challenging the political votes considering the get out the vote efforts with right wing sites that have membership numbers in the hundreds of thousands and people that are extremely motivated by political rivalry. I also doubt the non-political ones challenge the political ones because of the obvious fact that Bristol is a mediocre to poor dancer -- and that is doing routines choreographed with less complexity than the cotillion dances I did in the sixth grade. Almost every rationale of voting for Bristol as an 'underdog', in addition, explains why people are voting for Kyle more succinctly because he fits nearly every adjective given far more clearly.

I'm just putting all of the DWTS threads on ignore at this point because this is just really is starting to go around in circles and I don't find that productive. I'm sure there will be endless hater chatter to come all over the Internet, too, so I think I'll be putting the Internet on ignore as I just find that incredibly off the charts of what civilized behavior should be. And, no, I don't think Bristol deserves the actual hate mail with suspicious powder just as I don't think she and her sister should be attacking people in language that includes homophobic slurs (and Bristol may not have said it but she saw it at the time and certainly didn't apologize for it then). And neither do I believe the former should be commented upon with proper outrage and the latter ignored or excused away.

ETA: Hopefully I'll see everyone next season and politics won't ruin what should be a fun dance show - as Ironcat said and called from the start.
    Last edited by chrisg; 11-20-2010 at 02:10 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I just read the interview that Conrad Green, DWTS's producer did with EW.
    He describes Palin as "lovely" and a technically better dancer than Kyle.
    OMG is all I can say!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Folks, if you want to talk politics, please take it to the Palin thread in Current Events. This isn't the place for it.

Although some political talk is inevitable in this situation, the subject has been talked to death. Let's move on, shall we?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4110221;
    I just read the interview that Conrad Green, DWTS's producer did with EW.
    He describes Palin as "lovely" and a technically better dancer than Kyle.
    OMG is all I can say!!
    I suspect he's looking for ways to justify her still being there and possibly even winning.
    Not that he really has to justify it, but considering people are questioning every aspect of the show now that she has made final three I suspect he wants to defnd the process by claiming her to be a better dancer than she is.
    I know what my eyes tell me. She's not better than Kyle in any way shape or form, imo.
    I don't think she's capable of executing some of the routines Kyle has managed, she's struggled with the simple choreography Mark has given her at times.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4110244;
    I suspect he's looking for ways to justify her still being there and possibly even winning.
    Not that he really has to justify it, but considering people are questioning every aspect of the show now that she has made final three I suspect he wants to defnd the process by claiming her to be a better dancer than she is.
    I know what my eyes tell me. She's not better than Kyle in any way shape or form, imo.
    I don't think she's capable of executing some of the routines Kyle has managed, she's struggled with the simple choreography Mark has given her at times.
    Conrad can't really say anything negative at this point, if he intends to, but I think what they say after the season and leading into next season will be telling. If they cast the people who will bring the controversy like Bristol, then obviously don't care that their credibility and the questioning of the voting system being legit will once again bring debate. Problem is, I don't think this type of stunt casting will work twice. People will see through it even more next time, and likely tune out completely.

I when I read that comment saying Bristol was a better technical dancer than Kyle. I'm wondering what dance Bristol will be doing for her re-demption dance. I'm guessing the jive would be the best bet, considering what the first one was like, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they do a closed hold ballroom routine. I'm sure even if her freestyle is a train wreck, she can obviously get away with more bad dancing in that.

ETA: Hopefully I'll see everyone next season and politics won't ruin what should be a fun dance show - as Ironcat said and called from the start.
    I agree. I'll be here, maybe, depending if it looks like another Hough/Ballas winds up winning, if it's full of celebs/pros I don't like, and if we do get another contestant in the Bristol category. I'm hoping not.

Bristol seems to have run a foul with her answer to the question, why do you deserve to be in the final? Her answer was the most improved. The question was asked of everyone and they all have given their reason to stay. Seems now her attitude is smug. Short of saying, you know, I really do not deserve to be in the finals because everyone dances so much better than me. What should her answer of been?

We're going to take a little break from the circular arguments.

+ Reply to Thread