+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

FORT Fan

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Let's hope they select a more appropriate song for next week....did I hear it is going to be "Sexual Healing"????

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4065791;
    I don't think the judges should go easy on her because of her age.
    There was a lot of stomping and posing last night and minimal dancing, if the judges either feel they have to, or worse, are required to go easy on her because of her age then the show should not cast teens, imo.
    I don't think Kyle Massey is that much older than Bristol, but I suspect the judges wouldn't go easy on him if he turned in bad performances.

I suspect she'll be around for a while so I hope she improves. Hard to tell after just one dance, but I don't see a lot of potential. She seems nice enough though and is enthusiastic and willing to work hard. She's out of her comfort zone and probably lacks confidence. If she gets a dance really suited to her and does well her confidence will likely improve.
    I don't think it's because of her age, I think it's because of who she is. On the flip side, I do think they tend to be nicer to the older contestants, especially depending on who they are. Florence could turn in the worst performance of the night, and I doubt the judegs would say one bad thing about it. They did it with Cloris and Buzz, too, up until it got too much. I do agree I don't think Kyle would get a free pass. I don't recall them being hard on Cody Linely, but there were moments they weren't overly buttery, either. I thought the judges laid it on a little too thick last night. They seemed to make it obvious they were trying to be nice, but they came out sounding like they were talking to a 5 year old. I was left pleasantly surprised by Bristol. What dancing she did do, I thought she looked decent. I was expecting something to rival Kate, and I was also impressed that she didn't seem as nervous as I expected. I don't know if I think she deserves to go far. Time will tell.

As in seasons past, I can't blame 'stands around to pose' on the contestant, since the pro choreographs the routines. If that's a necessity, it can be hidden better;i've seen it done.
    Mark and his dad had very similar routines last night. A lot of camera mugging, standing of their celebs and posing, and not much else.

FORT Newbie

Very interesting analysis of Palin's routine:
    "Bristol doesn't exist apart from her mother and Sarah only promotes herself. Bristol therefore dresses as Sarah to remind people who she is. The song was meant as a double entendre: the exploitation of Bristol's notoriety by baldly stating Bristol had ignored her wise mother's advice about Levi; the vulgar meaning of the verb "to come" which will not be lost on some. Only the Palins could make a song about a party with drugs into a song about Bristol and Levi in order to rehabilitate Sarah as a mother and Bristol as a good girl victimized.

Can we say this is deeply disturbing: Bristol dresses as Candidate Sarah but rips off her mother's clothes then shimmies and shakes her T's and wiggles her A? Hip thrusts proving that work ethic. Brilliant Republican double-speak.

Dance fans: Did they really dance the cha-cha? Why did not one judge mention that song seems hardly suited to a cha-cha.

What's next? Bristol and Mark performing the waltz to the tune of "I Can't Get No Satisfaction."

H/T to MD

Like I said in the Live thread, the problem with blaming Bristol or the Palins in general for a song and a costume is that it completely ignores how the show actually works. The show itself chooses the music for the pairs, not the other way around. The exception is the freestyle. Every other time, the show picks the song. So the bad song for her is on their shoulders, much like the bizarre VW to a Queen song.

In terms of the costume, a lot of that is on the pro, with help from the design team. Again, one exception: The week when the celebs get to design outfits for themselves and their pro partner. Mark is a goof (and a bit of a pain...) anyway, so the fact that he thought that was a great idea doesn't surprise me. Bottom line, she had nothing to do with the song or outfit creation.

I didn't like the schtick either, but regardless of it, I still thought Bristol did a decent job. Cha Cha is a hard dance, especially week 1. Very rarely do I really, really like anyone's performance of it the first week. I think she'll do better in Ballroom rounds than Latin.
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 09-22-2010 at 04:15 AM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Shannon hated the dress Mark designed for their VW last season, and remember those god awful lindy hop outfits he had for Shawn? I don't blame Vera Wang for not wanting to do this show if she can't design her own outfits, god only knows what Mark would put her in.

Mark said it in the rehearsal clip that he wanted to do a strip down, costume reveal. I'm sure that was to poke fun at the conservative base she comes from, just like the song the show gave them was to poke fun at what she's well known for. They did it to Kim K. when she got the song Baby Got Back, and to Jennifer with her VW song.

FORT Newbie

the problem with blaming Bristol or the Palins in general for a song and a costume is that it completely ignores how the show actually works. The show itself chooses the music for the pairs, not the other way around.
    Ok, I guess that post above was not clear. I do not believe that Bristol had anything to do with song choice. I totally understand the show chooses the music and I'm sure they told Ballas to go "sell" BP on the idea. She's to dumb to even understand what the show was doing. As for the costume, I agree that BP did not choose it, but I strongly believe she had input and wanted that strategically placed fringe on there to hide her big belly.

I also thought her reaction to not being eliminated tonight was quite odd and very telling.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4062238;
    Excelent post, Tiamaria.
    I also want to say that to my way of thinking, the producers are the ones to blame for inviting "stars" who are divisive, abrasive or undeserving of being considered a "star" such as the case with many of our reality show contestants. The fault needs to be with them and not the person who agrees to be on the show. I mean, seriously, if asked would you pass up the oportunity to learn to dance, boost your career, make good money and get in, perhaps, the best shape of your life?
    In my thinking if anyone is to blame it's the viewers themselves and our inability to let go of our own prejudices and preconceptions. The producers cast for a wide demographic representation in their "stars" and have done so since Strictly Come Dancing in the UK. They've consistently cast for an older contestant, a young contestant, a sexy dancer, a talented dancer, an athlete, an underdog, a controversial figure etc.

To enjoy the show a viewer has to pretty much let go of prejudging people and enjoy the dancing at the surface. A celebrity's status (are they "famous" enough? are they divisive?) can be distracting but in the end they are all issues in the viewer's minds and not directly related to what the show is about... which is dancing. It all depends on how you're looking at it. If you fear or dislike Palin, obviously her daughter is a "divisive" figure but if you support her you might feel that the producers cast with an open mind and that it will "bring us all together." If you're a Conservative you might think casting a crusading gay figure might be "unnecessarily divisive" and "not what this show is about" but if you're gay you might think that again it's open minded and "bringing us together." Unless a castmember actually does something offensive on the show, for one's sanity it's best to apply the rule to judge what they do not who they are. I think how "divisive" or "noble" they turn out to be in our minds is out of the hands of producers and lives as a litmus test about viewers in terms of how openminded or bigoted they will be when faced with different opinions.

Bristol to me is the equivalent of putting a celebrity's child on here, because that's basically what she is. It's why mixing politics with a cheesy dance show is a bad idea At any rate, she was cast for ratings, and eventually I think it'll grow old and she'll get voted off. She seems very timid and I'm not sure this type of exposure and criticism she'll receive will help her nerves any.
    As for Palin's casting, obviously it was done for ratings... and it's worked. Bristol might be Palin's kid and may be a stupid or untalented or an "unremarkable" woman but her experiences are truly remarkable. In an area where politicians' children are expressedly verboten, it's no exaggeration that she has been the most scrutinized and politicized candidate's daughter in history. And beyond being Palin's daughter, Bristol's own actions such has bearing a child and her relationships have been attacked/defended and debated without precedent. What she has been through has been unique, and even if she herself is remarkable, her experiences are interesting and it is topical. To be fair it's not just like the producers took a random politician's kid and put her on air. She is a public (if embarrassing) figure. If Kim Kardashian is a celebrity for letting a man pee on her on camera then Bristol at least is an interesting figure because of amount of attention and scrutiny that's been put on her. She may have been born to that position but that doesn't logically preclude her from being a public figure... just like Prince Harry or William... Bristol Palin has certainly been more publicized and debated than most Royals.

All that being said. She was really really bad. Awful really. She came across as darling enough in the pretaped and edited package but stiff and really uncharismatic and NO FUN during her dance and interview.

I think Bristol had a nasty case of the nerves. I'm hoping that she relaxes more and her dancing improves. I'm not a fan of her mother but then again, I'm not a fan of Bush, either, but I adore his family. Bristol (from what I've seen) seems to be a really nice kid. Not snotty or diva-ish. Actually, all the Palin kids seem like nice kids. I just can't bring myself to judge her because of who her mother is. Mine's a bipolar, alcoholic witch and I like to think I'm nothing like her...lol. That said, her dancing was really bad. I hope it was nerves and that she does improve. If only for the simple reason of the tabloids not being able to rag on her too much.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by twinkietoz;4066359;
    Ok, I guess that post above was not clear. I do not believe that Bristol had anything to do with song choice. I totally understand the show chooses the music and I'm sure they told Ballas to go "sell" BP on the idea. She's to dumb to even understand what the show was doing. As for the costume, I agree that BP did not choose it, but I strongly believe she had input and wanted that strategically placed fringe on there to hide her big belly.
    Well to your point, if you watch the video package of Mark "selling" her the song there's a clear edit after he starts talking and before Palin is smiling and talking about not listening to her mother in regards to Levi. So you can assume that there was a lot of talking and convincing that the producers left out between those two points. From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong) from an interview with Julianne Hough the pros are given the music every week from the producers on Monday after the show. The "stars" are introduced to the music on Tuesday along with the choreography. Obviously they cant force the stars to dance to a song but think what the implications are... it means that if they reject a song, they're at least a day behind everyone else in choreography that the pro worked on, as well as however long it takes to clear another song. There might be financial penalties or breech as well if they refuse to cooperate with the production. On a parallel path there a little old couple that sew all the costumes all week. Rejected a costume might mean you wear a old one that's been previously on the show, they just wear what the producers have prepared for them.

That being said Bristol clearly was smiling and liked the idea as sold to her about the song being a statement of the independent part of her personality. I read one blog that characterized it as a "parody" of her mother's political career but from her limited statements shown it sounded like they sold it to Bristol as about her relationship with Levi and how her mother was right all along? Not sure on that last point but that's my take.

I predict that Bristol will be coddled like we've never seen before. Hope I'm wrong.
    Nope, last season Kelly Osbourne was the most coddled person I've ever seen on DWTS. Kelly is famous for being the daughter of Ozzy, a man famous for biting heads off bats during (a hundred years ago) his performance and being high on something other than talent. Kelly, another reality show type fighting drug addiction. She was less than a good dancer but got high votes and remarks from the judges. The cameras were constantly showing Ozzie (with tears running down his face) playing on his reaction when Kelly was dancing. I call it pandering for sympathy from viewers. Having said that, I don't think Bristol is anymore a famwhore than Kelly Osbourne. Could say both cashing in on their parents fame.

I don't like Sara Palin or Ozzy Osbourne but both kids deserve to be judged on their ability as a dancer rather than who their parents are. I don't imagine it's easy getting well known celebrities due to time involved, hard physical work and possible injuries.

+ Reply to Thread