+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4108904;
    What exactly does anything Bristol's sister says have to do with Bristol's dancing? I'm glad I wasn't held accountable for stupid stuff my younger siblings said.
    It wasn't just Willow, it was Bristol as well. She just issued an apology: Bristol Palin apologizes for Facebook rant - Yahoo! News
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by mize77;4108855;
    I have been teaching high school for over 20 years, and it is very common for teenagers to use the expression, "You're gay," as a put down. I don't think it's a homophobic thing, although a homosexual would probably feel that it was; it is often meant as "You're stupid." I am not defending the use of the term at all; it's inappropriate and mean. But it's very common.
    In a way you are defending the use of the term. Its like saying its okay for white students to throw derogatory racial slurs around because "its very common". No its called education and prevention of ignorance.

And I have worked in the school setting as well....as a nurse, and yes many children do throw the "you're gay" or "its so gay" term around, just like they equally throw down "f**" after they tell someone how 'gay' they are. They know what they are saying.

I reprimanded a 4th grader who was trying to get back at a bunch of girls who were trying to get him, and the best thing he could say was "Well I may be that, but at least I am not gay like you, f******" So at 10 years of age, a child is VERY capable of knowing what they are saying is offensive and wrong. So certainly a 16 year old is.

Adults need to get involved and to tell the kids "No" everytime they make a gay slur. Problem is, there is so much dislike and disdain for gays, that many adults dont feel its a problem at all and continue to let their children say it....and also, nine times out of ten, the children/teens are just repeating what their parents say as well.

I guarantee you, a household that does not attack gays will not promote or raise a child to do the same.
    Last edited by fluff; 11-18-2010 at 07:47 PM.

it's been a wild ride! Parkhillian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mize77;4108855;
    I have been teaching high school for over 20 years, and it is very common for teenagers to use the expression, "You're gay," as a put down. I don't think it's a homophobic thing, although a homosexual would probably feel that it was; it is often meant as "You're stupid." I am not defending the use of the term at all; it's inappropriate and mean. But it's very common.
    Well I'm happy to say it's not common or normal for my son or his friends. And as starting JV football players, they would most likely be around those who do use those slurs and I'm very pleased that he chooses not to. =)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I often got associated with stupid stuff my older siblings did. That's a small town and having the same teachers will get you. Luckily for me we were one decade (or in their case two) ahead of Myspace, Facebook, and twitter.

Funny that last week, Bristol proclaimed Maks was bad mouthing her, and now the headline on my homepage says "Are Palin Girls Cyberbullies?"

I guess I can be somewhat hopeful that maybe we'll get a normal cast next season, without the infamous or barely famous. I feel like it's all damage control by the show whether they believe it or not, but they kind of have to come out against Bristol lasting so long. I'm sure they're just as surprised. It's why I think her winning serves them right.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4108905;
    It wasn't just Willow, it was Bristol as well. She just issued an apology: Bristol Palin apologizes for Facebook rant - Yahoo! News

What exactly does anything Bristol's sister says have to do with Bristol's dancing? I'm glad I wasn't held accountable for stupid stuff my younger siblings said.
    Bristol's posts were as nasty and foul as Willow's. So that "what does it have to do with Bristol?" stuff isn't gonna fly.
    Last edited by tango7; 11-18-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Bristol is being held accountable for her own stupid stuff not that of her sister. Bristol was involved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by imissme;4108774;
    The voters who think voting for the daughter of a politician matter are as ignorant as the other side complaining that the daughter of a politician shouldnt win.

All I can say is; People, this is a tv dance contest, perspectives please!
    Well, yes. It used to be a dance contest - pretty much, anyway.

I mean I've never seen a really second-rate or 3rd-rate dancer win or even make the finals. (I'm judging by amateur standards, of course, not comparing the contestants to professional or competition dancers.) Bristol making it this far has made a farce of the "dance competition" aspect - and that has nothing to do with her personal life or who her mother is.

Given what seems to be driving her fan base -- which obviously isn't her grace and agility on the dance floor or her stage presence or her connection with the music and the emotion of the dance -- I think the only way she could lose (without some sort of rigging by TBTB) would be for the judges to really score her dances - fairly - low enough that she'd have to hugely win the fan voting to make up for that.

DK what their system is for weighting the judges' scores v. the fans'. If it's based on ranking, then it doesn't matter how much lower the last-place contestant is in raw scores. But if the fan's votes are just tallied up and counted at face value, what sort of judges' score corresponds to, say, 1,000,000 votes.

If the DWTS finale were like American Idol, with a face-off between the top two contestants, I don't think Bristol could win. But I'm afraid that Jennifer and Kyle will split the votes of the people who are voting based on dance performance, leaving Bristol to win.

I don't know how much of the finale I'll watch, but I can tell you this:
    If Bristol "wins," I'm changing the channel immediately!
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4109108;
    Bristol is being held accountable for her own stupid stuff not that of her sister. Bristol was involved as well.
    I hope that Bristol's votes are more political than from young girls voting for her like some have suggested... that would be just sad if she's being used as a role model for teens
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;4109124;
    I hope that Bristol's votes are more political than from young girls voting for her like some have suggested... that would be just sad if she's being used as a role model for teens
    Me too. There are plenty of better role models out there. Hell, Miley Cyrus is a better role model at this point!

Frankly, I'd give Bristol a bit more leeway if she was cute and spunky like Kelly O. Bristol has the personality - on and off the dance floor - of a wet paper towel on Thorazine.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4109157;
    Me too. There are plenty of better role models out there. Hell, Miley Cyrus is a better role model at this point!

Frankly, I'd give Bristol a bit more leeway if she was cute and spunky like Kelly O. Bristol has the personality - on and off the dance floor - of a wet paper towel on Thorazine.
    Have you seen Miley Cyrus lately in some video she did on a bed that caused quite the stir...and she is what only 17?

That whole thing with facebook has more to it than meets the eye.....we do not know, because no where did we see everything this Mr. Innocent had said about her family.....he probably said quite a bit himself to have them both come back in such a manner....

I think they were the victims of a bully big time.....and with everyone out to get Bristol this whole thing was exaggerated and doctored to make her look bad.....like vultures swooping for the kill......

+ Reply to Thread