+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 77 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

FORT Fanatic

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Bristol Palin matters to politics like pickles matter to a butterfly.

The voters who think voting for the daughter of a politician matter are as ignorant as the other side complaining that the daughter of a politician shouldnt win.

All I can say is; People, this is a tv dance contest, perspectives please!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4108180;
    I don't take gossip as gold. I read the article that MFW originally posted in the Media thread and it has factual links to some of the actual sites pushing for this. Such as the link back to this one taken directly from the article:

This is also a factual screenshot taken by a FoRT member a couple of weeks ago.
    I don't know if you realize it but the quote that you use as a sig

“There is a moment in the life of every generation where that spirit of unity and hopefulness has to come through if we're going to make our mark on history. This is our moment. This is our time.” - President Obama
    is so appropriate to your post.

Well, if voting for Bristol Palin to win the Mirroball Trophy gives conservatives a spirt of unity and hopefulness and lets them make a mark on history, more power to them.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 11-18-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imissme
    Bristol Palin matters to politics like pickles matter to a butterfly.

The voters who think voting for the daughter of a politician matter are as ignorant as the other side complaining that the daughter of a politician shouldnt win.

All I can say is; People, this is a tv dance contest, perspectives please!
    One final point and then I'm dropping the subject.

Fact: people have stated at various Palin supporter websites that they power vote even though they aren't fans of the show. They say they do so because it proves the "power of the teaparty" and it gives "liberals a taste of their own medicine." Whether these votes are what are making the difference and keeping Bristol there, I don't really know for sure and I don't really care either.

However, whether the voting by these people makes a difference or not, they want it to for all of their own dumb reasons, and because of that, they are morons. Irrefutable idiots.

I don't think there is one person here who thinks Bristol shouldn't win because she is a daughter of a politician. It's not about politics. It's about dancing, and she sucks at it. That's what it is about.

When someone stands up and says "I'm not voting for Bristol because she is a politician's daughter" then I will gladly call them morons, and irrefutable idiots as well.

Anyone biting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4108788;
    I don't know if you realize it but the quote that you use as a sig is so appropriate to your post.

Well, if voting for Bristol Palin to win the Mirroball Trophy gives conservatives a spirt of unity and hopefulness and lets them make a mark on history, more power to them.
    As a political moderate, though, I agree with some conservative core concepts so I don't see an us versus them. I also believe most conservatives have much better things to do than hijack DWTS. There are fringe right wing elements, however, that clearly and factually demonstrably do not have anything better to do. Getting back to unity though, I don't believe we should lump the fringe lunatic right in with all conservatives as that's not particularly unifying overall.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4108802;
    One final point and then I'm dropping the subject.

Fact: people have stated at various Palin supporter websites that they power vote even though they aren't fans of the show. They say they do so because it proves the "power of the teaparty" and it gives "liberals a taste of their own medicine." Whether these votes are what are making the difference and keeping Bristol there, I don't really know for sure and I don't really care either.

However, whether the voting by these people makes a difference or not, they want it to for all of their own dumb reasons, and because of that, they are morons. Irrefutable idiots.

I don't think there is one person here who thinks Bristol shouldn't win because she is a daughter of a politician. It's not about politics. It's about dancing, and she sucks at it. That's what it is about.

When someone stands up and says "I'm not voting for Bristol because she is a politician's daughter" then I will gladly call them morons, and irrefutable idiots as well.

Anyone biting?
    Those that are making this political are the hyperpartisans exactly as you quote. The rest of us who watch the show every season are concerned that Bristol sucks - to use her word - as a dancer and may win this season in spite of it. And, no, I don't objectively believe that anyone who sucks as a dancer has won DWTS.
    Last edited by chrisg; 11-18-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Parkhillian;4107978;
    If my child (and I have two, 11 and 15), ever made such a statement, two things would happen; an instant apology for the insulting remark and hearing me lecture on the importance of respect and tolerance. My 15 year old son has a fb and I monitor it, and I have never come across he nor any of his friends, using those terms.
    I have been teaching high school for over 20 years, and it is very common for teenagers to use the expression, "You're gay," as a put down. I don't think it's a homophobic thing, although a homosexual would probably feel that it was; it is often meant as "You're stupid." I am not defending the use of the term at all; it's inappropriate and mean. But it's very common.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4108788;
    Really? If the vote means they are rubbing the noses of the rest of the country in it, it's not exactly a unifying, hopeful gesture, is it? It's more of a cynical, contemptuous gesture to me. Read all the comments at those sites and tell me that's not the prevailing attitude. I realize that the commenters don't represent everyone out there, but they are the ones visiting the sites and taking the bloggers' advice, which means they are the ones we know are voting...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by mize77;4108855;
    I have been teaching high school for over 20 years, and it is very common for teenagers to use the expression, "You're gay," as a put down. I don't think it's a homophobic thing, although a homosexual would probably feel that it was; it is often meant as "You're stupid." I am not defending the use of the term at all; it's inappropriate and mean. But it's very common.
    Maybe, but "gay" was not the word that was used.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by mize77;4108855;
    The use of "gay" to describe someone or something as "stupid" is the issue. It's incorrect use of a word: proper denotation of "gay" as an adjective is "happy" unless consulting Urban Dictionary. In this context, the word is an insult, meaning "stupid," regardless of the reason for Bristol using it. As I'd correct any of my students, my peers, or my family, there are far better words in the English vernacular to criticize and insult a person than using an emotionally charged word that also identifies a huge sector of the society, who currently are often stereotyped. Did anyone also see further on in the Facebook thread the other darling word used by sis Willow, also a direct homophobic slur, towards this fella? Or was she just referring to a bundle of sticks there?

It's still homophobic even if it's common. And so is f***** which is another homophobic slur that one of the Palin daughters used. Teenagers are killing themselves over homophobic bullying and I would hope that would be a concern for educators since bullying of teenagers often involves school grounds.

That's So Gay: One of many homophobic slurs

Have you ever heard someone say, "That's so gay" to indicate that something is stupid, negative or girly? You'd be in the minority if you hadn't. According to the 2005 Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network National School Climate Survey nearly nine out of ten students reported hearing, "that's so gay" or "you're so gay" at school!

A lot of people who would never dream of uttering a racial or religious slur, seem to have no problem using this homophobic one.

So what's the deal?

Homophobia

Unfortunately, being gay is often viewed as a negative thing. As a result, terms used to put down gay people have slipped into everyday speech and are used as a way to demonstrate just how bad the person using the phrase thinks the "gay" thing is.

Ignorance

If a phrase is repeated enough, its origins may be forgotten. Because it is so common to hear, "that's so gay'" plenty of people don't link the phrase to an insult against gay people. Calling someone out for using this slur can be all it takes for the person using it to understand that it isn't simply a harmless expression.

Raising awareness

Though it can seem tough, one thing you can do is simply let people know what is really being said when the phrase, "that's so gay" is used to indicate something that's not cool, and that it just as unacceptable as more blatantly hateful terms. Explain that this is a put down with real victims. Using it perpetuates the negative associations people have with being GLBT.

Here's a few things you can say when you hear, "that's so gay."

•You know, saying that is insulting to gay people.
    •I'm sure you didn't mean the extremely hard pop quiz we just had is attracted to the same gender.
    •How would you feel if I used a characteristic of yours, like your race or religion as an insult?
    •I know a lot of people say that, but I find it offensive. Can you make an effort not to use that phrase?

The comeback

Over the years, I have called out plenty of kids (and a few adults) for saying "that's so gay." Though many respond positively, more than a few have said, "I didn't mean that it [the romantic comedy, family vacation or whatever else is in question] is homosexual. I'm saying that it's happy." This excuse is usually given by someone who is embarrassed to be caught saying something inappropriate. My response tends to be, "Come on, we both know that you weren't calling the romantic comedy happy. I'm sure you can think of a better way to say you weren't into it."

What it all comes down to

Phrases like "that's so gay" are only okay as long as they are allowed to be. It might take some work to heighten awareness, and you might not convince everyone to change their ways, but the more people who are called out for saying, "that"s so gay," the fewer will actually continue to say it.

Even if saying that's so gay seems milder than a lot of hate speech, there's just no place for homophobic slurs.
    Homophobic Slurs - What to say to homophobic slurs like That's So Gay
    Last edited by chrisg; 11-18-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

What exactly does anything Bristol's sister says have to do with Bristol's dancing? I'm glad I wasn't held accountable for stupid stuff my younger siblings said.

+ Reply to Thread