+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by TiaMaria62;4062442;
    I agree. I just don't like seeing people here using their like or dislike of Bristol or any other contestant as a thinly veiled disguise to take jabs at other posters who may have exhibited an opposing political view - however inadvertantly. It has no place here, in my opinion.

Sorry if I didn't state that as clearly as I meant to.
    That's absolutely against the rules of the site.
    As long as people remain within our other rules e.g. language remains pg13, reality show contestants are fair game for positive and negative comments, other site members are off limits.

It seems like now might be a good time to remind everyone that we ask for your assistance in keeping the threads free of any posts that insult, bait or flame other site members. This may come in the form of a direct insult to a named person, or a more sweeping insult about "anyone who likes X...".

If you see posts that you think break a rule please report them by clicking the red triangle on the left under the person's name.
    The mods very much welcome your assistance so please don't hesitate to report posts.

Thanks and let's hope for an entertaining season.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Producer Conrad Green said in an article a few seasons ago that he liked to cast people "with a story" which is another way of saying he likes to cast controversial people.
    Like Kate, Bristol was cast - in my not so humble opinion - because she is controversial. Drama and controversy stir up ratings. Period.
    It often has little to do with wether a person is a bonafide star or even what many would deem to be a credible celebrity.
    It matters certainly even less whether the majority of people "like" that person.

Again in my opinion, Conrad Green and Company monitored not only the ratings - but the message boards on Kate's season as well - and were absolutely delighted with all of the "chatter" regardless of the fact that it was overwhelmingly negative. It was chatter about his show, nonetheless, and that was music to his ears.

Finally, it is my perception that who the producers really, really wanted for the show was not Bristol but Sara Palin herself. That was simply not going to happen. Who they did not want was baby daddy, Levi, who is a loose cannonball that even they can't be sure they can control, so they settled for Bristol who had the Palin name power if not the persona.
    That is my take on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4058690;
    I wouldn't say no reason. Like Paris Hilton and an assortment of Kardashians, she is using a parent to foist herself on the public without having any discernible talent to warrant our attention, and I have equally as much respect for her as I do for the entire cadre of pointless famewhores.
    If I recall, Bristol said she was at work and DWTS called her!!! They must have thought she had something to offer. How about name recognition, unlike most of the other so-called "stars" this season. I had never heard of The Situation, Michael Bolton, Rick Fox, Audrina Patridge, Margaret Cho, Brandy Kyle Massey and I only vaguely remembered the names of Kurt Warner & Jennifer Grey and if I hadn't watched Dirty Dancing recently, I wouldn't know who she is.

The only household names on this season for viewers like me are Bristol Palin, David Hasselhoff and Florence Henderson. TP wanted somebody that people would know who are not in to tv, movies, music, reality tv or sports...

I hope this girl does well, but she doesn't seem like the dancing type to me. I hope I'm wrong. She was on Fox the other night with Greta Van Sustern and she said she was having a wonderful time and said how nice everyone was.
    Last edited by hepcat; 09-17-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: [mod edited]

Quote Originally Posted by n4692u;4062929;
    If I recall, Bristol said she was at work and DWTS called her!!! They must have thought she had something to offer. How about name recognition, unlike most of the other so-called "stars" this season. I had never heard of The Situation, Michael Bolton, Rick Fox, Audrina Patridge, Margaret Cho, Brandy Kyle Massey and I only vaguely remembered the names of Kurt Warner & Jennifer Grey and if I hadn't watched Dirty Dancing recently, I wouldn't know who she is.

The only household names on this season for viewers like me are Bristol Palin, David Hasselhoff and Florence Henderson. TP wanted somebody that people would know who are not in to tv, movies, music, reality tv or sports...

I hope this girl does well, but she doesn't seem like the dancing type to me. I hope I'm wrong. She was on Fox the other night with Greta Van Sustern and she said she was having a wonderful time and said how nice everyone was.
    With all due respect, I actually thought this cast had more name recognition than in past seasons, with everyone but Kyle Massey being someone that I had at least heard of. I prefer watching has-beens, rather than "never was" people, and IMO this cast is full of them, even if not everyone is familiar with them. But I agree that you would have to be living under a rock to not know who Bristol was, if only as the pregnant daughter of the former VP candidate.

Of course she is telling the media she is having a wonderful time. I'm sure Mark is treating her with kid gloves, even if he has already written her off as a lost cause. And if she is really struggling to learn the moves, or even having second thoughts about signing on in the first place, I'm sure she's not foolish enough to blurt that out in public.

And for the record, I hate Sarah's politics, but I wouldn't call Bristol a famewhore. If she continues to milk this experience (which I don't think will happen, because I think she will be a big bomb on the show), I may revise my opinion.
    Last edited by hepcat; 09-17-2010 at 02:25 PM.

I don't consider her a famewhore at this stage, just a seemingly unremarkable, untalented and uneducated young woman taking opportunities presented to her to make some money while there's still some interest in her.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4062963;
    With all due respect, I actually thought this cast had more name recognition than in past seasons, with everyone but Kyle Massey being someone that I had at least heard of. I prefer watching has-beens, rather than "never was" people, and IMO this cast is full of them, even if not everyone is familiar with them. But I agree that you would have to be living under a rock to not know who Bristol was, if only as the pregnant daughter of the former VP candidate.

Of course she is telling the media she is having a wonderful time. I'm sure Mark is treating her with kid gloves, even if he has already written her off as a lost cause. And if she is really struggling to learn the moves, or even having second thoughts about signing on in the first place, I'm sure she's not foolish enough to blurt that out in public.

And for the record, I hate Sarah's politics, but I wouldn't call Bristol a famewhore. If she continues to milk this experience (which I don't think will happen, because I think she will be a big bomb on the show), I may revise my opinion.
    I agree. The only "star" I never heard of before was Kyle Massey. Most other seasons upwards of half were people I knew nothing of, to the point of having no recognition of their names at all. Some of those people ended up being very entertaining and charming (Louie Vito comes to mind). Even though I've heard of this season's contestants, I still think they are really stretching the definition of "stars."

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

CA was just on Joy Behar, and they got to talking about Bristol taking dance lessons from Kate Gosselin. CA said it was the worst person she could possibly be getting advice from, unless it's lessons in fame. They showed clips of Kate's clomping, and CA basically summed it up that she was god awful, unaware she was that horrible (blamed it on lack of exposure in the entertainment industry), and said she had no idea what she was going to say.

Poor Bristol's going to get eaten alive. I'm sure the show will make sure the judges sugar coat any criticism, much like I think they did with Kate. I think the same will probably happen with The Situation, too. Every promo I've seen has featured those 2 and Audrina. I hope it's not as bad of an experience for her, but I think she'll get a hard lesson, especially if she can't dance. It makes it worse she's likely going last.

Hopefully tomorrow night erases me doubts about this season either being horrible on the dancing front and the obnoxious attitudes I think are coming.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4063055;
    I don't consider her a famewhore at this stage, just a seemingly unremarkable, untalented and uneducated young woman taking opportunities presented to her to make some money while there's still some interest in her.
    Unremarkable ... untalented ... uneducated? Hmmmm...Her biggest problem was her inability to rein in those hormones. As regards talent, everyone has it but it has to be discovered and, sometimes, it takes life's unpleasant ironies to waken it in us. Who knows this DWTS may help to discover her potentials. What potentials? I suppose talent is not always about dancing. Bristol's biggest advantage/disadvantage (it depends how one sees it) is she happens to be the daughter of one of the biggest newsmakers today _ her mom! I am not a fan but I think she deserves a little slack just for being a human being and young. I'd say 'good for her' for "taking the opportunities presented to her to make some money while there's still some interest in her" which, I say, is pretty smart making her quite remarkable. She'll stumble many times but we sometimes have to go through painful and embarrassing situations to better and educate ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryyou;4064768;
    Unremarkable ... untalented ... uneducated? Hmmmm...Her biggest problem was her inability to rein in those hormones. As regards talent, everyone has it but it has to be discovered and, sometimes, it takes life's unpleasant ironies to waken it in us. Who knows this DWTS may help to discover her potentials. What potentials? I suppose talent is not always about dancing. Bristol's biggest advantage/disadvantage (it depends how one sees it) is she happens to be the daughter of one of the biggest newsmakers today _ her mom! I am not a fan but I think she deserves a little slack just for being a human being and young. I'd say 'good for her' for "taking the opportunities presented to her to make some money while there's still some interest in her" which, I say, is pretty smart making her quite remarkable. She'll stumble many times but we sometimes have to go through painful and embarrassing situations to better and educate ourselves.
    As of right this minute, Bristol is unremarkable, untalented and uneducated; perhaps in the future, she will change that. But other than getting pregnant at 17, what else "remarkable" has she accomplished? She has her GED; haven't heard that she was an honors student in HS, or accepted at a top university, so as of now, she is relatively uneducated for 19. And if she has any talents, dancing or otherwise, we also have yet to hear of them. If she wasn't the daughter of a famous woman, she would be viewed, along with many other teenagers, as very unexceptional indeed.

Poor Bristol's going to get eaten alive. I'm sure the show will make sure the judges sugar coat any criticism, much like I think they did with Kate. I think the same will probably happen with The Situation, too.
    I agree that the judges will sugarcoat Bristol, but I don't think they will be easy on The Situation. I mean . . . look at their respective images. Based on precedent, if Carrie Ann give The Situation a compliment she'll be accused of being a cougar or whatever. If she says anything even mildly critical of Bristol, CA will be accused of being a jealous b@#$% and tougher on women.

I predict that Bristol will be coddled like we've never seen before. Hope I'm wrong.

+ Reply to Thread