+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

My brothers and I weren't allowed to say the word sucks growing up. I'm 32 now and can understand why.

That vacuums, I will have to remember that, good one

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansands;4097225;
    I doubt she could think of another word to say. I've noticed most of the younger generation use the word "LIKE" constantly. I've seen Meghan McCain (daughter of Senator John McCain) on several talk shows she used the word "LIKE" constantly and also said "sucks" occasionally. She is at least 22 years old with a college education. I would think any child with Meghan's background of wealth and privilege would know better. Bristol, like most of the younger generation could care less and I doubt their parents would dare correct them.
    I certainly understand the overuse of the word "like" -- started by the Valley Girl phenomenon of decades ago -- but comparing "like" to "sucks" is like comparing apples to oranges. "Sucks" is, indeed, intended as an expression of disgust whether kids or adults use it.

Call me a fussy teacher, but I still consider "sucks" to be a crass word used by similar people.

My point originally was that no one appears to be guiding Bristol in her public appearances...and I feel sorry that others are allowing her to show her common and uneducated upbringing.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4097532;
    My brothers and I weren't allowed to say the word sucks growing up. I'm 32 now and can understand why.
    When I was growing up, it was sometimes written sux, it had sexual overtones and was downtight vulgar when it was thrown out, and everybody knew it. Now it is nonchalantly tossed out, and it means the equivalant of, "That stinks, or that is a bad deal or situation."
    It took me a long time to accept that word as not vulgar the way it is currently used, but I have come to accept that it is just a slang term.

However, I agree that it is still one of the rougher ones and probably should not be used in church crowds or around older adults as it most definitely might mean something not so good to them.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

It's really why I have such a problem with the judges whipping out 7s and 8s so early in the competition. Bristol's quick step was much better than her cha cha, but not worthy of 7s. However, what other choice did they have? I think that's an issue they run into with other people. I felt like that with Rick. Honestly, I thought his early dances were great, but these last few not so much. Yet the judges were saying so, so how can they keep awarding the same scores for dances that they say are better (and maybe are?) That's also why I believe it benefits couples who go later in the show.

Bristol is now the only one who hasn't gone first yet. Audrina went 1st twice in 6 weeks. This week someone else will have to go first again or they will finally have to put Bristol in the leadoff spot. It's her time. Fair is fair.

It's several weeks past her time if fair is fair. This season has not been fair.

I have been voting for Bristol/Mark, even though I can't stand him, but I'm not voting for them anymore and I hope her friends stop voting for her as well so she can go home. I felt so sorry for her during that PI they showed on the Results show the other night. I really think she wants to go home and I think she was disappointed that she didn't go the other night.

There are 5 couples left now and B/M do not deserve to go to the F4 anyway. I think I am going to start voting for Brandy/Maks. Jennifer just whines too much to suit me. Besides, it's Maks' time to win that trophy. As far as that goes, it's Anna's time as well.

Bristol "forgot" to vote on Tuesday! Maybe that will turn off her mom's supporters enough so that they "forget" to vote for her next week!
    Last edited by IrishGal; 11-04-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: grammar

FORT Newbie

I tend to read rather than post but I love to watch Bristol dance. Not so much Mark. The other dancers have an edginess that I'm tired off. They're all the same. Bristol has a softness about her and she makes me smile.

I'd rather watch her than Brandy who technically is a better dancer but her "too perfect" routines are just that...routines. I know what to expect from the perfectionist.

Bristol simply dances!

+ Reply to Thread