+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 77 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansands;4097225;
    I doubt she could think of another word to say. I've noticed most of the younger generation use the word "LIKE" constantly. I've seen Meghan McCain (daughter of Senator John McCain) on several talk shows she used the word "LIKE" constantly and also said "sucks" occasionally. She is at least 22 years old with a college education. I would think any child with Meghan's background of wealth and privilege would know better. Bristol, like most of the younger generation could care less and I doubt their parents would dare correct them.
    It's terrible that the word sucks has gone so mainstream and acceptable. I actually heard it used at a speaking engagement of a well known author who is supposedly a Christian lit author. It was at my church, everyone was a little freaked out by that. It was really too much especially since the woman was in her 50's then just this morning at Bible Study a young person was talking about her new homeless shelter plans and lets loose with sucks again. I guess now people of any age feel it's ok to say sucks even in church. It's depressing. I mean it's not as if I don't say it on occasion and worse I can guarantee you that but one should at least try to refrain while in a church setting with a captive audience. I'm so tired of everything going gutter or slang. I want to sign up for a class on the Queen's English and make that popular. Surely one of these days everyone will be sick of everything being dumbed down and gutter and will snap back? Maybe the next generation will want to be different from the ones before and save us. Let's hope so...

FORT Fanatic

I've been away and not keeping up. Just saw the threds indicating that Bristol is profitting from her mother's friends,etc. Is this confirmed or is this
    speculation? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4097394;
    It's terrible that the word sucks has gone so mainstream and acceptable. I actually heard it used at a speaking engagement of a well known author who is supposedly a Christian lit author. It was at my church, everyone was a little freaked out by that. It was really too much especially since the woman was in her 50's then just this morning at Bible Study a young person was talking about her new homeless shelter plans and lets loose with sucks again. I guess now people of any age feel it's ok to say sucks even in church. It's depressing. I mean it's not as if I don't say it on occasion and worse I can guarantee you that but one should at least try to refrain while in a church setting with a captive audience. I'm so tired of everything going gutter or slang. I want to sign up for a class on the Queen's English and make that popular. Surely one of these days everyone will be sick of everything being dumbed down and gutter and will snap back? Maybe the next generation will want to be different from the ones before and save us. Let's hope so...
    Funny that this has been brought up. My (adult) children know how I feel about that word (one son-in-law likes to jokingly say "it vacuums" when he's in my presence.)
    What gets me is that when my oldest was in middle school (he's in his mid 30's now) he received in-house suspension for saying "you suck" to another student. The school told me they considered that very vulgar profanity. My how times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick;4097392;
    Unless the judge's start to put some distance between the best and worst scores I don't see her leaving until the final 3.

This doesn't bother me too much since Brandy and Jennifer are so much better than the rest that it doesn't really matter who will be #3. I think Audrina was the only one that could have challenged them, and she is gone. With her gone, Rick was the next best also-ran, but he is gone too.

I don't really blame Bristol for these departures--even if she left two weeks ago Audrina and Rick were never going to make the finals since they apparently don't have enough fan base to get them there.
    I also don't fault Bristol. She seems like a rather vapid young woman who would never assume that her mother's zealous fanbase would make her staying on DWTS a cause celebre, even though I, and I'm sure many others, saw this coming a mile away. It almost happened with Sara Evans, might have happened with Tom Delay, but both dropped out of their own accord before it got that far. This time we are going to get the whole ride until the bitter end.

I hope you're right that both Jennifer and Brandy have the fans to take them (rightly) to the finale; Jennifer was the clear favorite by a landslide going in, so I don't worry about her, but I read so much distaste for Brandy on the boards, that I worry that people may just assume that her high scores will carry the day, will vote for the others, and she will be one of Bristol's victims. A finale with Jennifer and 2 celebs who can barely shine her dancing shoes will be painful to watch.

If the finale doesn’t include Brandy and Jennifer – I will not watch. Any combination of just one of them and anyone else will be completely lopsided and unwatchable, especially if it includes Pistol. I don’t think anyone but Brandy can take the trophy out of Jennifer’s hands, and vice versa.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick;4097392;
    Unless the judge's start to put some distance between the best and worst scores I don't see her leaving until the final 3.

This doesn't bother me too much since Brandy and Jennifer are so much better than the rest that it doesn't really matter who will be #3. I think Audrina was the only one that could have challenged them, and she is gone. With her gone, Rick was the next best also-ran, but he is gone too.

I don't really blame Bristol for these departures--even if she left two weeks ago Audrina and Rick were never going to make the finals since they apparently don't have enough fan base to get them there.

Bingo! I tried to state that a bit earlier. Bristol staying or going has nothing to do with anybody else's lack of fans. It is their fans which keep them in the hunt. People are either going to vote for them or not.
    I thought Audrina was a good dancer, and I personally thought she would be in the top 3. She got the judges' high scores - critical remarks' true dat - but she simply didn't get enough fan votes to keep her in the contest. We could see that on our scoring indicator thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4097425;
    Bingo! I tried to state that a bit earlier. Bristol staying or going has nothing to do with anybody else's lack of fans. It is their fans which keep them in the hunt. People are either going to vote for them or not.
    I thought Audrina was a good dancer, and I personally thought she would be in the top 3. She got the judges' high scores - critical remarks' true dat - but she simply didn't get enough fan votes to keep her in the contest. We could see that on our scoring indicator thread.
    Bloomers, I get what you're saying, and you're right, nothing was going to get either Audrina or now, Rick to the finals, due to their too-small fan bases. However, there will be one contestant (probably Brandy, Kurt or Kyle) who will not make the finals because, this season, there is one less spot available, if we assume that Bristol's golf-like handicap of zealous voters are going to assure her of one of those spots, regardless of what she puts out on the dance floor.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I don't blame Bristol, either, nor do I think she should be forced to quit because she might take out better dancers. She was cast, she's making the most of his experience, and it's not her fault that people are voting (for whatever reason) to keep her on. She has people talking, good and bad, so she's doing what the show cast her for. Maybe they didn't expect her to last this long, since they seemed to show Mike the door pretty quick. Where I find fault with them is the obvious overscoring and praising of the judges. They ding Brandy on one minor mistake of an otherwise flawless foxtrot, but Bristol forgets her routines and most of them latin dances involved Mark dancing around her, and she gets 6s and nothing's said?

I think the show might throw a wrench in the finale if she makes it that far to ensure she can't possibly win.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4097441;
    I don't blame Bristol, either, nor do I think she should be forced to quit because she might take out better dancers. She was cast, she's making the most of his experience, and it's not her fault that people are voting (for whatever reason) to keep her on. She has people talking, good and bad, so she's doing what the show cast her for. Maybe they didn't expect her to last this long, since they seemed to show Mike the door pretty quick. Where I find fault with them is the obvious overscoring and praising of the judges. They ding Brandy on one minor mistake of an otherwise flawless foxtrot, but Bristol forgets her routines and most of them latin dances involved Mark dancing around her, and she gets 6s and nothing's said?

I think the show might throw a wrench in the finale if she makes it that far to ensure she can't possibly win.
    ITA, but I think they have been doing it to lend credibility to the outcome so far. If she was routinely getting the 5's and 6's she deserves, and still sticking around (which is a strong possibility if her voter base is as large as suspected and she is faithfully receiving millions of votes each week from people not even watching), it would make even more of a mockery of the show than it already is, not to mention, force the judges to say some really unpleasant truths to her. With Master P and Billy Ray, it was disturbing enough, week after week, but neither of those two guys really cared or got their feelings hurt; with Bristol, it will come across, justly or unjustly, as beating up on a young girl.

I wonder if the producers anticipated how this would play out or are surprised and just winging it.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4097479;
    ITA, but I think they have been doing it to lend credibility to the outcome so far. If she was routinely getting the 5's and 6's she deserves, and still sticking around (which is a strong possibility if her voter base is as large as suspected and she is faithfully receiving millions of votes each week from people not even watching), it would make even more of a mockery of the show than it already is, not to mention, force the judges to say some really unpleasant truths to her. With Master P and Billy Ray, it was disturbing enough, week after week, but neither of those two guys really cared or got their feelings hurt; with Bristol, it will come across, justly or unjustly, as beating up on a young girl.
    I recall mentioning very early in the season that I felt they'd be more careful in their criticisms of her than they would of Kyle and pay deference to her age, despite the fact he is younger.

I think she was overscored right out of the gate. Her first dance was a whole lot of feet planted, hip wiggling, arm pointing, shoulder shimmying, but she got three sixes. She did better the second week so they really had to give her sevens.
    I admit I'm not an expert, but it seems to me she's continually overscored, but I like your theory that they're doing it because they know she's going to stick around and want to justify her being there. Although we all know it's a popularity contest I don't think the show wants to admit it's almost entirely that and the dancing doesn't matter at all.
    The judges have been visibly annoyed in the past that the likes of Master P has stuck around while better people have gone. Bristol's not Master P levels of bad, but she's not three 8's level of good either, imo.
    I need to track down the clip of Len giving his lesson on how he scores dances because I don't think what she did the other night was worthy of an 8 on his scale.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread