+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4061528;
    I was in the kitchen last evening and sort of listening to TV without seeing it, and I thought I heard someone commenting on DWTS rehearsals so far. Whoever it was says Bristol is really struggling, she has bad sense of rhythm, and Mark has his work cut out for him. Did anyone hear something similar and who was reporting it?
    I've heard through the grapevine that she's having trouble and not comfortable with some aspects of the performances. I'm not surprised she got the cha cha first over the VW, because there's more trainwreck potential there. Mark's comments in interviews hint things aren't going well (just think what glowing things Tony said about Kate because he had to). However, I also think Mark's a spoiled brat, so I doubt he'll be able to handle it.

FORT Newbie

Whether she quits DWTS (I hope) or she does indeed dance for a week or two, I believe that Bristol Palin will show her true colors on that show. DWTS requires work and more work, and it takes a ton of courage to perform on that stage. Those who succeed show that they are willing to work to improve and that they have a degree of self-awareness (and a sense of humor) about their own level of talent (or lack of talent). Bristol Palin has shown that she's self-entitled, self-righteous, ignorant, humorless, contemptuous of others and shuns work. Those qualities don't bode well for any sort of success on the show, either in terms of skill or in terms of fan appeal.

FORT Fan

I just really wish this show wouldn't put political/polarizing people on in the first place - or any TV show that I watch for that matter. I understand that they do it for ratings, but I, personally, watch my shows to be able to escape from the trouble/turmoil of every day life - I don't like having it placed front and center unless I choose.

What really bothers me is that it puts a damper on watching with friends, neighbors and family (including our FoRT family), because it forces us to emphasize what makes us different - instead of what we all have in common - love of our shows.

When politics is brought into the mix, somehow, a difference of opinion about a contestant devolves from a difference of opinion over that contestant's dance experience, attitude or work ethic, into an arguement over each other's personal belief systems.

That stinks.

I enjoy reading everyone's opinion on the shows that I watch. I even enjoy our friendly banter over which Ballas/Hough brat gets the ringer each season and whether or not that contestant is actually a ringer. I don't enjoy seeing everyone snark at each other over what we perceive to be their personal political beliefs.

I'm hoping we can all make the effort not to let that ruin the fun we have with our shows. I'm hoping ABC in this instance doesn't feel the need to stir the pot each week.

Excelent post, Tiamaria.
    I also want to say that to my way of thinking, the producers are the ones to blame for inviting "stars" who are divisive, abrasive or undeserving of being considered a "star" such as the case with many of our reality show contestants. The fault needs to be with them and not the person who agrees to be on the show. I mean, seriously, if asked would you pass up the oportunity to learn to dance, boost your career, make good money and get in, perhaps, the best shape of your life?
    Along with Kara and a few others, I like Miss Bristol okay (though I'm not crazy about her mom) and I'm willing to give her a chance. I don't think the show should've asked her to be on judging by her credentials, but I'll reserve judgement on her behavior till I see how it all plays out. Many stars I originally thought I'd be rooting for, I disliked on the show and many I disliked intensely beforehand (i.e. Jerry Springer,) I found myself rooting for.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Excellent post Tia, and in my dislike of Derek, I try to remember it's mostly the show for why I've grown so tired and frustrated with the kid. Just like them casting polarizing and controversial figures. I don't agree with The Situation or Audrina being on, just like I didn't Kate, Tom Delay, Heather Mills, or Kim (and probably a bunch of others), but they are/were, so we'll deal with it. Best way to get through it is just focus on Bristol on the show and shut out everything else about her politics and family. That's what I'm going to do. We'll probably have enough disagreements this season with each other over the love affair with Derek and the judges, if Jennifer's a ringer and Derek gets another advantage, whether Florence should have gone or is an inspiration, and whether David's (insert Hoff phrase here) schtick is cute or tiresome.

If this show didn't cast polarizing people, like it does, they'd probably have a very small audience. So, I have no problem with it.
    My only problem is calling people "stars" who have no body of work to show for it.
    I actually have more respect for a "Situation" or a Kate, because, like it or not, they've already put themselves out there for us to judge. And we do, of course.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4062013;
    I've heard through the grapevine that she's having trouble and not comfortable with some aspects of the performances. I'm not surprised she got the cha cha first over the VW, because there's more trainwreck potential there. Mark's comments in interviews hint things aren't going well (just think what glowing things Tony said about Kate because he had to). However, I also think Mark's a spoiled brat, so I doubt he'll be able to handle it.
    This doesn't surprise me in the least. I posted yesterday, and it somehow got deleted, that I think Bristol is in way over her head, and while I understand why accepting a very large sum of money, much more than she could legitimately be expected to earn based on her qualifications, as well as getting away from Alaska, were motivation enough to do the show, I don't think she realized exactly how much would be required of her to succeed. She is very young, and unlike the other teenagers who took this on, is not a performer in any sense of the word, probably has little natural ability, and was most likely clueless about the intense physical demands required just to not embarrass oneself on this show, not to mention the social and entertainment aspect necessary to "court votes". She is a very unremarkable young person, and I just hope that if she really flounders, her mother's fanbase doesn't try to keep her in well past her expiration date, because then she may be subjected to subtle ridicule from the judges as well as the public.

Quote Originally Posted by TiaMaria62;4062212;
    I enjoy reading everyone's opinion on the shows that I watch. I even enjoy our friendly banter over which Ballas/Hough brat gets the ringer each season and whether or not that contestant is actually a ringer. I don't enjoy seeing everyone snark at each other over what we perceive to be their personal political beliefs.
    Here's a workable solution for that: not interjecting perceived politics into someone's dislike of a reality show contestant but potentially considering political motivations perfectly fine when that may very well be the reason why someone likes a reality show contestant. People have a right to like or dislike any reality show contestant for any reason according to FoRT rules and polarizing people are on this show all the time with very derogatory things said about them. Kate Gosselin certainly comes to mind. The comments about her were hardly friendly banter. And that had nothing to do with politics.

And the political thing is a two way street. People will like Bristol Palin just because of her mother. People will dislike Bristol Palin just because of her mother. Both groups encompass some very political people. Taking the latter group to task while not acknowledging the political motivations of the former comes across, quite frankly, as political, primarily because it does not seem inclusive of the entire FoRT community -- members of which have the same right to dislike a reality show contestant for whatever reason - and not a less equal right - as those who have a right to like a reality show contestant for whatever reason.

For the record, I am a registered Independent who supports some Republicans but I think Sarah Palin is an imbecilic freak. I evaluate Bristol separately and, as previously mentioned, am quite critical of her role as a paid spokesperson for abstinence but genuinely support her hopefully earning some funds on DWTS to pursue a college education.

And, in the end, FoRT rules remain FoRT rules and, it seems, bear repeating.:

Everyone is allowed to like or dislike anyone they choose, for whatever reason they choose.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4062435;
    Here's a workable solution for that: not interjecting perceived politics into someone's dislike of a reality show contestant but potentially considering political motivations perfectly fine when that may very well be the reason why someone likes a reality show contestant. People have a right to like or dislike any reality show contestant for any reason according to FoRT rules and polarizing people are on this show all the time with very derogatory things said about them. Kate Gosselin certainly comes to mind. The comments about her were hardly friendly banter. And that had nothing to do with politics.

And the political thing is a two way street. People will like Bristol Palin just because of her mother. People will dislike Bristol Palin just because of her mother. Both groups encompass some very political people. Taking the latter group to task while not acknowledging the political motivations of the former comes across, quite frankly, as political, primarily because it does not seem inclusive of the entire FoRT community -- members of which have the same right to dislike a reality show contestant for whatever reason - and not a less equal right - as those who have a right to like a reality show contestant for whatever reason.

For the record, I am a registered Independent who supports some Republicans but I think Sarah Palin is an imbecilic freak. I evaluate Bristol separately and, as previously mentioned, am quite critical of her role as a paid spokesperson for abstinence but genuinely support her hopefully earning some funds on DWTS to pursue a college education.

And, in the end, FoRT rules remain FoRT rules and, it seems, bear repeating.:
    I agree. I just don't like seeing people here using their like or dislike of Bristol or any other contestant as a thinly veiled disguise to take jabs at other posters who may have exhibited an opposing political view - however inadvertantly. It has no place here, in my opinion.

Sorry if I didn't state that as clearly as I meant to.

FORT Newbie

for chrisg & ironcat. I stand by my opinion of Brisket.

+ Reply to Thread