+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4095261;
    First of all no one reads all that political crap that comes in the mail, a fraction at best, secondly, we are not sheeple that would follow instuctions from some politician. I really think this is a non-event. People will vote for who they want, even if she did send out the letter people will do or not do what they will. It seems as though Sarah Palin has more enemies than friends and so I'd say it's a wash at best. Maybe it is that the younger set likes her. I enjoyed watching her and the Situation because they're so bad and hoped they'd get better... but did not vote for either of them. I'm net neutral on her but do like seeing people do something they have never done before. I don't really know what ABC was thinking but what were they thinking when they brought on that worm guy Woz?
    I hear what you are saying but I think you are forgetting or discounting our older senior citizens. The huge group of people who do not use computers, no email at all, but read every piece of mail they receive and take it seriously because back in their day mail was a serious thing. The huge group who were bilked out of millions (perhaps billions) by corrupt Televangelical preachers like Jim Bakker, Jim Swaggert, etc. I'm talking about people who are not on computers, who don't know what spam or phishing is. They are prefectly intelligent but not sophisticated in terms of the current ways to influence people and steal their loyalty, money, etc. I know for a fact that, some of them at least, read every piece of mail and take it to heart.

Furthermore, when it comes to Palin, many of her fans are avid and I bet tons of them think they are showing her support by voting for her kid. They think Bristol's failure would disappoint Sarah so they don't want that to happen. Who can blame them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4095285;
    Bloomers meekly raises her hand.....May I point out one thing? (Not to you , but maybe to others who are a bit bumfuzzled here.....)
    While someone - many someones - are encouraging the Bristol vote, it most definitely does not appear to me that it is Bristol herself who is doing it. I don't think she is stuffing the envelopes or mailing them to senior citizens.
    I think that has been a point of confusion perhaps.
    No, I don't think there has been any confusion about that point. I've always seen her role in this farce as either that of a dutiful daughter trying to convince herself that this is worth it, or worse, as a patsy.

Her mom has quickly become a multi-millionaire between the books and the Fox News paycheck and the "lecture" ciruit. Why does her daughter have to work low-paying local jobs, and make a spectacle of herself in tight sequined dresses on national TV doing something she's not even good at, in order to support herself? Why isn't mom sending her to a decent college and providing day care for her grandchild? There are so many aspects about her being on DWTS that have a bad aroma about them. But you're right, most of it can't be attributed to her personally, but rather to her family and the huge political machine that made them "stars".

I don't dislike Bristol. When I watch her dance, I feel extremely sad for her. Which makes me wish she would fake an ankle injury, go home, and figure out what she really wants to do with the opportunities before her. And I hope her parents stay in the other room while she's thinking.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I don't mind Bristol. What I don't like is the show's tactic in having the judges overscore/praise her, and making her to be out better than she is. I'm not crazy about the team dances and elimination tactics this week, whether it leads to ousting her or someone else, but it all reeks of them vying to keep her or get rid of her. It was just like Kate last season, where she got overscored and despite shopping cart comparisions, still caught a better break with the judges. Bristol seems very nice, and like she's come out of her shell. Something about her personality is beginning to bother me (I think the remark about throwing the air guitar in her tango being okay because they came out in gorilla suits the week before-of course she kind of had a point, it couldn't get much worse ) She seems like a good kid and I think she's trying to make a name for herself so she can be known for something other than Sarah Palin's daughter. I'm over this type of casting, especially when better dancers start feeling the heat (which I think the judges are at fault for more than America voting), but if it gives ABC what it wants in ratings, we will probably see some token tabloid trainwreck and reality show personality next season (and maybe someone like Bristol who's famous for her last name).

I think Bristol should have left 2 weeks ago, and am believing once again she's getting a break this week, with her dance style, potentially being judged by Kelly Osbourne, and being on a team dance with weaker dancers but bigger judges favorites. It really has me curious where everyone's fanbases are when all the votes are in, because the show knows that. I do hope she's gone this week, because she's probably going to start feeling the wrath of backlash, and I doubt the show will care (more press for them). Even if she stepped aside and quit I'd question if that was planned or not.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal;4095325;
    I hear what you are saying but I think you are forgetting or discounting our older senior citizens. The huge group of people who do not use computers, no email at all, but read every piece of mail they receive and take it seriously because back in their day mail was a serious thing. The huge group who were bilked out of millions (perhaps billions) by corrupt Televangelical preachers like Jim Bakker, Jim Swaggert, etc. I'm talking about people who are not on computers, who don't know what spam or phishing is. They are prefectly intelligent but not sophisticated in terms of the current ways to influence people and steal their loyalty, money, etc. I know for a fact that, some of them at least, read every piece of mail and take it to heart.

Furthermore, when it comes to Palin, many of her fans are avid and I bet tons of them think they are showing her support by voting for her kid. They think Bristol's failure would disappoint Sarah so they don't want that to happen. Who can blame them?
    Most seniors that I know have access to a computer. I am nearly 70 and have used a computer for more than 30 years at work and at home for the past 20 years (have bought three computers over the years as they changed and improved). My friends, relatives, and acquaintances...most of whom are as old or even several years older than I am...have a computer and use it. My deceased uncle's second wife is nearly 90 and I still receive email notes from her. My late aunt died at age 96 and used a computer until the last two years when she became too sick and her mind was not good enough. I live in an adult community (age 65+) and most of us have and use a computer. However, I have no idea how many of the elderly people would watch Dancing With the Stars and then make an effort to vote by computer.
    Last edited by moondust222; 11-01-2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: typo

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4095285;
    Bloomers meekly raises her hand.....May I point out one thing? (Not to you , but maybe to others who are a bit bumfuzzled here.....)
    While someone - many someones - are encouraging the Bristol vote, it most definitely does not appear to me that it is Bristol herself who is doing it. I don't think she is stuffing the envelopes or mailing them to senior citizens.
    I think that has been a point of confusion perhaps.

Good sleuthing on that find, mamasue
    It is extremely unusual that a dancer has someone who is well-known like Sarah and whose mother is sending out alerts to large groups of people reminding them to vote for her daughter. Dancing With the Stars Producers should realize that probably few of these people even watch the show, yet those hundreds (or maybe thousands) vote for Bristol to keep her on the show. My understanding was that the purpose of this show was to enjoy watching the couples dance and then for the viewers to vote on who they liked the best. What Sarah is doing is reminding many groups of people to vote for her daughter for the purpose of winning by getting the most votes and many of them likely didn't even see Bristol dance. It has spoiled it for me and it sounds like for many others.

I am no longer watching the show but check after the show ends to see who was eliminated and who is left, and then vote...but absolutely not for Britol.

If enough of us refuse to watch the show and just vote, maybe their ratings will go down and they will recognize that many of us aren't happy having the daughter of an active politician on at a time when her mother is campaigning all over the U.S. and using her huge network to get a huge amounts of votes for her daughter.

The fact that the show allocates a phone number to each couple that they keep throughout the season greatly assists any organized "vote for X" effort.
    Even though they attempt to limit the amount of votes each person can cast, they've set up a system that makes it completely unnecessary to tune into the show at all, or go to a message board or even ask a friend in order to know which number to call. You don't even have to wait until the end of the show for the phone lines to open.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4095358;
    Something about her personality is beginning to bother me .
    Ditto. Though not actually "beginning to" - something has always bothered me about her. People keep referring to her as "sweet" and "nice", neither of which are apparent to me. Perhaps it's because I have worked with far too many young women over the years with similar personality types, but I get the sense that she is inherently truculent under the giggles, self-involved and ungenerous of spirit.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by moondust222;4095362;
    It is extremely unusual that a dancer has someone who is well-known like Sarah and whose mother is sending out alerts to large groups of people reminding them to vote for her daughter. Dancing With the Stars Producers should realize that probably few of these people even watch the show, yet those hundreds (or maybe thousands) vote for Bristol to keep her on the show. My understanding was that the purpose of this show was to enjoy watching the couples dance and then for the viewers to vote on who they liked the best. What Sarah is doing is reminding many groups of people to vote for her daughter for the purpose of winning by getting the most votes and many of them likely didn't even see Bristol dance. It has spoiled it for me and it sounds like for many others.

I am no longer watching the show but check after the show ends to see who was eliminated and who is left, and then vote...but absolutely not for Britol.

If enough of us refuse to watch the show and just vote, maybe their ratings will go down and they will recognize that many of us aren't happy having the daughter of an active politician on at a time when her mother is campaigning all over the U.S. and using her huge network to get a huge amounts of votes for her daughter.

Wellah! The producers foresaw this, and cast Bristol with something just like this in mind. Bristol is highly controversial which means lots of drama and the chance of better ratings for the show.

As it is, the rest of the cast is enjoyable, but one look at this board, the posters who are posting, and the relatively low number of posts alone compared to past seasons tells us that we don't have a lot of excitement going on with this cast and this season.
    We need Bristol to interject some umph! into the mix so that the season is not just a total nice, pleasant snooze.

BTW, I am not arguing the right or wrong behind the campaigning for votes here, but I will remind everyone that the president of Mya's fan club came on here every week and told us how she was going back online to get the vote back out for Mya, so this kind of thing certainly isn't new.
    Also, much to his disgust SDL (rest in peace) told us by way of inside info that Gilles lost to Shawn because they "cleaned up a block of 'dirty votes'". (He didn't say whether they were phone, text, or on-line).

My point here is that if there is not some type of a controversial figure, we don't have much of an interesting time on the message board.
    I tried to point that out by using examples from the past.

I have also tried to argue that for whatever is now happening which has political overtones, Bristol and her mother are pawns of the producers who used them for them for their own ratings purposes. The producers simply opened the door, and either Sarah or members of Sarah's teams walked through it and began to use it to their advantage.
    Do I think the producers predicted this? Heck yes!

FORT Fan

I miss SDL...

What would constitute "dirty votes". I don't understand that term. And why can't the show prevent them in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4095501;
    Wellah! The producers foresaw this, and cast Bristol with something just like this in mind. Bristol is highly controversial which means lots of drama and the chance of better ratings for the show.

As it is, the rest of the cast is enjoyable, but one look at this board, the posters who are posting, and the relatively low number of posts alone compared to past seasons tells us that we don't have a lot of excitement going on with this cast and this season.
    We need Bristol to interject some umph! into the mix so that the season is not just a total nice, pleasant snooze.

BTW, I am not arguing the right or wrong behind the campaigning for votes here, but I will remind everyone that the president of Mya's fan club came on here every week and told us how she was going back online to get the vote back out for Mya, so this kind of thing certainly isn't new.
    Also, much to his disgust SDL (rest in peace) told us by way of inside info that Gilles lost to Shawn because they "cleaned up a block of 'dirty votes'". (He didn't say whether they were phone, text, or on-line).

My point here is that if there is not some type of a controversial figure, we don't have much of an interesting time on the message board.
    I tried to point that out by using examples from the past.

I have also tried to argue that for whatever is now happening which has political overtones, Bristol and her mother are pawns of the producers who used them for them for their own ratings purposes. The producers simply opened the door, and either Sarah or members of Sarah's teams walked through it and began to use it to their advantage.
    Do I think the producers predicted this? Heck yes!
    ITA that the producers were well aware that politics very probably would come into play in the voting, and that it would add further controversy to the show, which would only benefit ratings. Now if Bristol is voted off this week, it will all become moot, but if she remains a few more weeks due to Sarah Palin zealots' efforts (and I dare say that there are considerably more of them than there are Mya fan club members), making the finals with the same level of dancing she is now exhibiting, they may try to come up with further tweaks of the format in order to assure she doesn't actually win the whole thing (which I doubt they want). But I'm starting to think that they would like her to make the finale, keeping the controversy (and resulting high ratings) going until the very end.

And Bloomers, I agree that without her on the show, it would be a pretty dull season. I think that is largely due to nobody unexpected really blowing us away with their heretofore undiscovered talent, or endearing personality. Lackluster cast indeed.

+ Reply to Thread