+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 77 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 768

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

  1. #221
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;4089332;
    This is nothing new. The only difference here is that a polarizing political figure is stumping for her daughter in a manner that all relatives of all contestants have stumped for their favorites. No smoke, no fire, just hot air. Block voting has been going on since I started following this show. My first season on this board people were bragging about setting up hundreds of accounts so they could power vote for their favorite contestant. After bragging about setting up the accounts the fan was publicly thanked by the contestant. Websites have been set up in the past encouraging non-viewers to vote for a particular contestant even if you had never seen them perform.

    The show will never truly be a pure dance competition for this and and other reasons. It's actually a miracle that the top dancers are usually around at the end the way the capricious voting works.
    I agree with you, but there will be a difference if Bristol ends up making it as far as the finals (or winning!) despite poor dancing because people with passionate political views who don't even watch the show vote her in en masse. Don't forget, we're talking about millions of people here (with tens or hundreds of millions of votes to give out) who might be persuaded to participate, enough to hijack the outcome. The same thing was in danger of happening when Sara Evans was on the show and strangely enough, Tom Delay started a campaign among his right-wing supporters to vote for her based solely on political zeal, which only ended when she dropped out of the show due to personal reasons. Delay himself, had he not gotten injured his season, might have also stayed in far longer than his dancing merited based solely on his supporters rallying to prove a point. We have to acknowledge that on the occasions when a competitor on this show becomes more a representation of a political belief than dancing, entertainment, likeability, sympathy, their own popularity or anything else, there is no telling how far that voter zeal will take them, and how screwed up the result will be. It hasn't happened yet, because in the prior two cases, the celeb dropped out on their own before it reached that point. We have yet to see how it will play out this time.

  2. #222
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    If the show becomes a popularity contest, it loses its reason to exist. Just my opinion.

  3. #223
    FORT Fogey ChelsieFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,996

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    I believe a letter was circulated and some that don't usually vote will vote due to the letter. Bristol is on due to her mother so it only makes sense she will benefit from her mother's fanbase as well. She took out Flo who was a better dancer and she could take another one out this week as well. I don't however think she sniffs the finale. That would make a mockery of the show and she would go before they'd let that happen. I also think her fanbase is prob made up of callers more than Internet votes which could acount for the fact she scores well on DI. On the flip side I think some of the others score more in Internet and text versus phone calls.

    I do hope this is the end of politicians and their offspring. It's not a good mix. This should be more about dancing and performing and less about who someone's mother is and what their political affiliation happens to be. I really think Bristol was prepared to go and I think Mark was as well so he did the gorilla suits to go out on a fun note. I think they were shocked they were safe and while they might be back in B2 for drama this week I'm not sold on her going quite yet even though she should.

  4. #224
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4089730;
    \
    I do hope this is the end of politicians and their offspring. It's not a good mix. This should be more about dancing and performing and less about who someone's mother is and what their political affiliation happens to be. I really think Bristol was prepared to go and I think Mark was as well so he did the gorilla suits to go out on a fun note. I think they were shocked they were safe and while they might be back in B2 for drama this week I'm not sold on her going quite yet even though she should.
    Bristol is sort of giving the show what they want-and that's watercooler chatter. I have yet to see how she impacted the ratings, or any other stunt casting this year did, but she has people talking. And if she outlasts better dancers, that'll draw even more negative press, but as long as people are talking and tuning in, the show doesn't care. Bristol's jive was a disaster, and she did deserve to go. I really don't think Mark is the best fit, as I've said all season, but he's really pushing it. And if he keeps doing routines like that spectacle of a jive he did, it's going to get even more cringe worthy. I can't imagine how the judges can remain nice to her if better dancers start getting bumped.

    The marathon dance this week isn't technically just a lindy hop, but a rock n roll marathon dance. Maks described it as being a mix of lindy, jive, and swing, but somehow, I think Bristol will get away with standing and posing yet again.

  5. #225
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    I don't know why everyone thinks Bristol's continued presence here is 'rigged'. I don't think she's very good at all, but I DO think she is definitely better than "The Situation" who did nothing right, David Hasslehoff, and Michael Bolton who were even stiffer and did even less actual dancing. Margaret Cho was voted off after a week where she got 'lost' during the dance AND had a message that unfortunately might not appeal to middle America plus a real mess of a dance the first week. Florence was kind of fun, but was not doing a lot and was getting into icky territory talking about a crush an underage boy used to have on her, never mind no one seems to like Corky.
    I expect Bristol to go this week, but she could last one more due to the fact that Rick Fox is really fading into the background here.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  6. #226
    FORT Fogey anders332's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,439

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4089569;
    If the show becomes a popularity contest, it loses its reason to exist. Just my opinion.
    this show is just as much a popularity contest as other comps show. The difference is that the judges scores can be the determining factor.

    Bristol may last longer than Kyle simply because she is better known and there probably are people voting on who her mother is. Probably just as many are not voting for her based on who her mother is as well.

    And you can't hold the monkey suit against her, she had it on for less than 20 seconds of the entire dance - and frankly, that was the best part of their jive.

    Ironcat - the only thing I would add is Kate G. I remember the internet campaign to keep her week after week to make her suffer and I believe it was George Lopez who also mentioned it on his talk show.

    It happens every season, some folks stay longer than they should, but when it comes to brass tacks the 'fans' and the judges make sure the F3 are comprised of the best 3 dancers.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

    Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

  7. #227
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4090052;
    I don't know why everyone thinks Bristol's continued presence here is 'rigged'. I don't think she's very good at all, but I DO think she is definitely better than "The Situation" who did nothing right, David Hasslehoff, and Michael Bolton who were even stiffer and did even less actual dancing. Margaret Cho was voted off after a week where she got 'lost' during the dance AND had a message that unfortunately might not appeal to middle America plus a real mess of a dance the first week. Florence was kind of fun, but was not doing a lot and was getting into icky territory talking about a crush an underage boy used to have on her, never mind no one seems to like Corky.
    I expect Bristol to go this week, but she could last one more due to the fact that Rick Fox is really fading into the background here.
    I think the point is that we really don't know how Bristol ranks as far as voting goes, since they have yet to actually tell us a bottom 2. She may be close to being voted off, or she may be the leading vote getter. We do know that at least one right wing org, with or without Sarah Palin's knowledge or blessing, is sending out pleas to what could be a million or more people (many of whom may not watch the show or typically vote if they do), asking them to vote for Bristol as a show of support for her mother. To the best of my knowledge, none of the other celebs have this kind of organization to mobilize on their behalf. Whether it ends up skewing the vote, or to what degree, we don't know yet. I agree that so far, her outlasting those she has outlasted is not unjustified, even with her lousy jive last week. If she lasts another week or more, however, it will be, and I would suspect its cause to be stemming from her mother's politics much more than from sympathy for, or likeability of, Bristol herself.

  8. #228
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,869

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4089871;
    Bristol is sort of giving the show what they want-and that's watercooler chatter. I have yet to see how she impacted the ratings, or any other stunt casting this year did, but she has people talking. And if she outlasts better dancers, that'll draw even more negative press, but as long as people are talking and tuning in, the show doesn't care. Bristol's jive was a disaster, and she did deserve to go. I really don't think Mark is the best fit, as I've said all season, but he's really pushing it. And if he keeps doing routines like that spectacle of a jive he did, it's going to get even more cringe worthy. I can't imagine how the judges can remain nice to her if better dancers start getting bumped.

    The marathon dance this week isn't technically just a lindy hop, but a rock n roll marathon dance. Maks described it as being a mix of lindy, jive, and swing, but somehow, I think Bristol will get away with standing and posing yet again.
    That's the trap that many reality shows fall into -- they get more concerned with buzz than their reputation. I think that's how a show like Top Chef ended up beating out all those other shows for the Emmy this year...it's one of the few shows that still has its integrity intact, even after 7 seasons and 2 spinoffs.

    DWTS keeps trading its relevance for the instant gratification of "watercooler moments" -- whether from stunt casting of polarizing people, or judges suddenly turning into cartoon versions of themselves...I don't know what others think, but it's quickly turning me off the show. I'm really starting to think it's no longer that necessary to my life.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

  9. #229
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4090299;
    That's the trap that many reality shows fall into -- they get more concerned with buzz than their reputation. I think that's how a show like Top Chef ended up beating out all those other shows for the Emmy this year...it's one of the few shows that still has its integrity intact, even after 7 seasons and 2 spinoffs.

    DWTS keeps trading its relevance for the instant gratification of "watercooler moments" -- whether from stunt casting of polarizing people, or judges suddenly turning into cartoon versions of themselves...I don't know what others think, but it's quickly turning me off the show. I'm really starting to think it's no longer that necessary to my life.
    I agree. I miss DWTS from it's early years. Starting season 6 it started going dowhill, only briefly coming back up for season 8, but then back down. As a long time fan, it's cringe worthy to have contestants along the lines of Kate, Bristol, and Mike, and think long term it'll do more harm than good. I have other issues with the show, among other things the tone the 2 stooges and Len have taken on. The show might not be rigged, but I believe it's predictable and there is a script written. It's no secret why Bristol has continually gone last, why she's gotten higher than deserved scores when Master P did a better jive, why the judges prop her up while anyone else would have probably gotten dragged through the mud. It's not just her it's reserved for, but the show follows the familiar pattern every season. Same goes for certain pros As long as there's people around I like and my favorite pros I'll probably keep tuning in, but I don't have the desire and the can't-miss attitude I once did. But it's occupied my Monday and Tuesday nights for so long, I don't even know what else is on

  10. #230
    FORT Fogey Tobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,244

    Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

    I know many people do not think Bristol will go this week but I'm thinking she does. People may like her mom etc or whatever but most of the time when that's been the case they still eventually go when or about when you might think. At least in the past. Except for Kate last season.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.