+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 77 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

I don't have a prob with her bring on show. Do I consider her a star or a celeb? No, but I have felt the same about many others as well. Media types fit into the celeb category where this show is concerned and I'm okay with that.

Seems like a sweet girl and nice person. I thought it was telling when CA said she looked forward to seeing them week after week. Bit of foreshoadowing there and while her dancing is decent I really don't think she will contend without judges/show really wanting her in it for ratings and/or set up Mark/Derek both to be in finale. I do think Grey gets there but not so sure Bristol does or should based on dancing so far. I just hope show doesn't push their agenda at the cost to better dancers down the line. I like that she works hard and she seems to be having fun.

Who is John Galt?

She seems very sweet and is a decent dancer. She doesn't argue with her Pro. She just does what he says and it comes out great. She does need some performance lessons, but compare her with Brandy and I would much prefer watching Bristol (even though I love Maks and am not fond of Mark).

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;4073759;
    She seems very sweet and is a decent dancer. She doesn't argue with her Pro. She just does what he says and it comes out great. She does need some performance lessons, but compare her with Brandy and I would much prefer watching Bristol (even though I love Maks and am not fond of Mark).
    Bristol has looked lovely during her dances, I thought. She's a very pretty girl, though not an 'in your face' type beauty like Brandy's. For a 19-year-old who up till a month ago had been working in an office and taking care of a toddler, she has remarkable poise. She is not a professional stage performer and the fact that she can learn a brand-new dance in one week and execute the steps competently, without freezing and with a big smile on her face the whole time is an accomplishment. I think she's really enjoying herself, and though Mark isn't my favorite pro, or even necessarily the one I would have chosen for her, their partnership appears to be working so far. She appears to be a diligent student and a pleasant, not draining personality. People who diss Bristol on account of her mom's grating personality and politics should bear in mind that Bristol is her own person. Of all our competitors, she is the only one with NO experience performing in front of the public. She should not have outlasted the Hoff or MB, but she did, and that was on merit, not on string-pulling. She puts Khate to shame!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;4073777;
    Bristol has looked lovely during her dances, I thought. She's a very pretty girl, though not an 'in your face' type beauty like Brandy's. For a 19-year-old who up till a month ago had been working in an office and taking care of a toddler, she has remarkable poise. She is not a professional stage performer and the fact that she can learn a brand-new dance in one week and execute the steps competently, without freezing and with a big smile on her face the whole time is an accomplishment. I think she's really enjoying herself, and though Mark isn't my favorite pro, or even necessarily the one I would have chosen for her, their partnership appears to be working so far. She appears to be a diligent student and a pleasant, not draining personality. People who diss Bristol on account of her mom's grating personality and politics should bear in mind that Bristol is her own person. Of all our competitors, she is the only one with NO experience performing in front of the public. She should not have outlasted the Hoff or MB, but she did, and that was on merit, not on string-pulling. She puts Khate to shame!
    She's actually had a fair amount of experience performing in tough situations although in front of fairly friendly audiences...e.g., starting with the Republican convention (and maybe before that when her mom ran for gov.for all I know), and since then being the role model for "abstain, or you will wind up like me" in front of audiences--and talking, not just standing there. So, while she might be nervous about whether she can dance and not look like a fool, and about the fact that the audience isn't packed with automatic fans, she isn't going to be dazzled just by the fact that she's on a stage and has an audience out there looking at her, or by the bright lights. So, yes, obviously less experience than the Hoff or Bolton, but by no means zero. It doesn't take all that much experience to get the hang of the basics, to get over the initial butterflies unless you are really phobic with stage fright--and she obviously isn't or she wouldn't be doing those speaking tours.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4074503;
    She's actually had a fair amount of experience performing in tough situations although in front of fairly friendly audiences...e.g., starting with the Republican convention (and maybe before that when her mom ran for gov.for all I know), and since then being the role model for "abstain, or you will wind up like me" in front of audiences--and talking, not just standing there. So, while she might be nervous about whether she can dance and not look like a fool, and about the fact that the audience isn't packed with automatic fans, she isn't going to be dazzled just by the fact that she's on a stage and has an audience out there looking at her, or by the bright lights. So, yes, obviously less experience than the Hoff or Bolton, but by no means zero. It doesn't take all that much experience to get the hang of the basics, to get over the initial butterflies unless you are really phobic with stage fright--and she obviously isn't or she wouldn't be doing those speaking tours.
    Hmmm...well, that sure didn't work for Kate Gosselin. Kate has had far more experience before the cameras as well as in front of live audiences as a paid speaker. Yet what did we hear for weeks? "Kate, for someone without experience in front of an audience, you're doing well... We know this is sooooo hard for you..." And so on. She never loosened up, showed an iota of charisma or appeared to really even try.
    I would clasify her as more of a performer than young Bristol, yet I think Bristol has stepped up and done much better than expected.
    I'm not a big fan of her mom (nor am I voting for Bristol) but, for someone with the least performing experience this season, as far as I'm concerned, she's exceeded expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4074577;
    Hmmm...well, that sure didn't work for Kate Gosselin. Kate has had far more experience before the cameras as well as in front of live audiences as a paid speaker. Yet what did we hear for weeks? "Kate, for someone without experience in front of an audience, you're doing well... We know this is sooooo hard for you..." And so on. She never loosened up, showed an iota of charisma or appeared to really even try.
    I would clasify her as more of a performer than young Bristol, yet I think Bristol has stepped up and done much better than expected.
    I'm not a big fan of her mom (nor am I voting for Bristol) but, for someone with the least performing experience this season, as far as I'm concerned, she's exceeded expectations.
    Yes to that. She's definitely exceeded expectations. Which makes it uncomfortable for all the people who were ready to jeer the Khate of this season. Bristol is doing remarkably well. Her second dance was better than her first one, but I can't imagine the pressure there must have been to don that tiny red dress and do a cha-cha on her first outing.

Bristol has been thrust into the limelight before, and she does have some experience now with public speaking. But speaking to groups of essentially her peers with prepared remarks is quite a bit different than the very physical performance skills demanded by DWTS. The speaking tours have no doubt helped her with her poise, but throwing the whole performance package thing into the mix is a different set of demands. Everyone else in the cast is used to doing physical performance in front of an audience . . .our athletes perform weekly or more in front of millions . . .our singers have rehearsed stage shows that include choreography (or so one would expect!) Bolton and the Hoff were extraordinarily awkward for guys who have been physically on display in front of thousands as a regular thing. Actors too have to use their bodies in ways that command space during their performances and develop some skills with improv and expressiveness that would help them with dancing. Bristol was a high school athlete not terribly long ago, but that's the closest she's come to learning dance routines. I'm fairly impressed with this girl. She's not the most effusive personality there, but she seems to have more confidence than she is given credit for.

I think even with a grasp of the basics, a sympathetic instructor and more experience dancing than Bristol's had, the prospect of being televised live to millions, where every little misstep will be seen and judged would be enough to do me in. For somebody with zero dance experience (like me) even the 'basics' would be pretty terrifying. By these lights, Bristol's doing great. The burning question now is, can she survive 'the Situation'? Even if she does, I can't really see her lasting more than two weeks. Possibly three, if Margaret goes, too. Everyone else is sufficiently better than Bristol and with more fans to surpass her . .but no matter when she goes, she's acquitted herself well.
    Last edited by hikari; 10-01-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;4074794;
    Yes to that. She's definitely exceeded expectations. Which makes it uncomfortable for all the people who were ready to jeer the Khate of this season. Bristol is doing remarkably well. Her second dance was better than her first one, but I can't imagine the pressure there must have been to don that tiny red dress and do a cha-cha on her first outing.

Bristol has been thrust into the limelight before, and she does have some experience now with public speaking. But speaking to groups of essentially her peers with prepared remarks is quite a bit different than the very physical performance skills demanded by DWTS. The speaking tours have no doubt helped her with her poise, but throwing the whole performance package thing into the mix is a different set of demands. Everyone else in the cast is used to doing physical performance in front of an audience . . .our athletes perform weekly or more in front of millions . . .our singers have rehearsed stage shows that include choreography (or so one would expect!) Bolton and the Hoff were extraordinarily awkward for guys who have been physically on display in front of thousands as a regular thing. Actors too have to use their bodies in ways that command space during their performances and develop some skills with improv and expressiveness that would help them with dancing. Bristol was a high school athlete not terribly long ago, but that's the closest she's come to learning dance routines. I'm fairly impressed with this girl. She's not the most effusive personality there, but she seems to have more confidence than she is given credit for.

I think even with a grasp of the basics, a sympathetic instructor and more experience dancing than Bristol's had, the prospect of being televised live to millions, where every little misstep will be seen and judged would be enough to do me in. For somebody with zero dance experience (like me) even the 'basics' would be pretty terrifying. By these lights, Bristol's doing great. The burning question now is, can she survive 'the Situation'? Even if she does, I can't really see her lasting more than two weeks. Possibly three, if Margaret goes, too. Everyone else is sufficiently better than Bristol and with more fans to surpass her . .but no matter when she goes, she's acquitted herself well.
    I agree. With her background in comparison to the others, I didn't expect much from her, but she's doing great. I don't expect her to last that long either, but I'm glad she's getting some positive feedback while she's there.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I didn't think their story flowed together very well. I didn't care for Mark's little jig he did, and Bristol dropping the coat to show her evening gown...yeah, no emotion or reaction there. Good concept, bad execution. I thought she did better than the previous two weeks, but apparently Bristol doesn't think so. She said there's no improvement, but she'll do better next week? Overscored once again. I like her, don't like Mark, but wouldn't mind seeing her outlast a few other couples.

I thought it was telling that even Bristol knew she would be around next week. I think she's right as show wouldn't lose her this soon and even CA commented last week she looked forward to seeing her week-after-week.

She's a sweet girl but her dancing just isn't vg. That said, I do think she should outlast The Situation, Cho, and Flo. My fear is The Situation and Bristol could potentially take out better dancers. I feel for Bristol because show wanting her to stay isn't really about Bristol herself but her mother. That has to be hard on such a young girl.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

One other thing I noticed, did Mark get pierced ears? I never noticed that before. And I knew he had a tattoo (a big one) of his know ex-girlfriend's likeness on his back, but I saw another one on his side last night. Mark is still a ham, but I'm wondering if he's bored with the show. He has to know he has no chance with Bristol, and her being a Palin may bug him since it overshadows him in the spotlight. That whole dance last night was odd. Plus, I'm not sure I feel these two get along too well. I'm happy Bristol appears to want to do well, but I wonder if her 'I haven't improved' was a jab at Mark for his teaching. I think as long as Derek is back Mark will be, if he wants to, but I really wouldn't mind seeing him sitting out. He appears more focused on his music, and it doesn't sound like he's doing that with Derek anymore.

+ Reply to Thread