+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 77 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

FORT Fanatic

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4069460;
    I feel for the kid, and I'm all for her personal growth, but it's not my responsibility to nurture it. The show is called "Dancing with the Stars" and I can't support the casting of Bristol Palin or anyone who isn't an entertainer from another field, or a celebrity who is famous for having achieved something extraordinary, like Buzz Aldrin or an Olympian. Even some reality TV stars are OK, as long as they truly developed fanbases that non-fans would recognize, and aren't simply notorious (like a Johnny Fairplay or a generic VH1 skank). Casting Bristol Palin is like casting Kato Kaelin: she is a bystander to history, not a maker of history. There are other shows that she can use as a springboard for "personal discovery"; I personally don't like DWTS to participate in this kind of one-way benefit for someone who is in the news for reasons other than real achievement.
    Well worded post and I respect your opinion. The name of the show has long been debated as appropriate - Melissa Rycroft does not qualify as someone who 'non-fans' would recognize...and the same can be said of Cloris and Florence. The young viewers are not likely to recognize them at all. The same can be said of many of the sportsmen for all the viewers who don't watch sports at all. Or the guy who is known only to jack*ss viewers. It is not as if Bristol chose DWTS as a springboard to self-discovery. I'm quite sure she didn't call up the show to beg to become a part of it because she wanted to 'find herself'. ABC is and has always been bent on whatever it takes to get their ratings. Including and not limiting their definition of "stars" to anyone who can stir up controversy or interest - lovers or haters who will be invested in the show and would celebrate them in a win or in being booted off. aka Kate Gosselin. My post merely was intended to point out that she will grow on the show and has appointed to a dancer who happened to pull Shawn Johnson out of all her shyness. IMO, the show should be named: "Dancing with Someone You May or May Not Know, Who May Or May Not Have Been a Star. Then, everyone will be happy and the show's title will no longer be a misrepresentation of itself.

What about: "Attempting to Dance with the Pseudo-Famous, the Notorious and the Just Plain Annoying"? I agree that the definition of "Star" is nebulous on this show, and Bristol Palin is not really the legitimate star in her family--she is merely a satellite reflecting borrowed light. Okay, so Bristol is not a star in her own right, but as the child of a hugely public figure, she has become, for better or worse, something of a celebrity by association. That is really no different than other pseudo-stars that have appeared over the seasons because they were known from the media: the Rycrofts, the Gosselins, the Situations. Shall we debate whether Bristol is more or less deserving of being selected for this show than the Situation? Bristol may only be accidentally famous, but certainly that would apply to all of the Jersey Shore castmates, or a woman who happened to have 6 of her eggs fertilized at the same time. Bristol's TV appearances have been at the Republican National Convention and in teen pregnancy prevention PSAs . . . are those at least as worthy of 'celebrity' than drunken hot-tub exploits or whatever starring in "The Hills" entails? Based on the amount of commentary already on Bristol's thread, I can't help feeling that she's being unfairly eviscerated due to being related to her mother, when current cast members her own age have at least as little claim to 'stardom' as she does, not to mention many examples from past seasons. If Bristol was not the offspring of a polarizing political figure, but instead had starred in a reality show about being a teen mom (assuming that her real life hasn't essentially been that already), would she be drawing this kind of fire? I really don't think so. Let's face it, "Stardom" is really the antithesis of "Achievement", isn't it? Let's not kid ourselves that any of our 'stars'. with the rare exception of someone like Buzz Aldrin, has done anything remotely deserving to be called "achievement." Starring in "Baywatch" isn't exactly a cure for cancer. Last season's cast had a bit more actual achievement, with an Olympic gold medalist & an Apollo astronaut. But what the majority of our 'stars' have 'achieved' is having their names known as public figures. Under that standard, Bristol qualifies, however accidentally that happened.

I disagree. Cloris Leachman is an Oscar and Emmy-winning actress. Florence Henderson has been a name in show business for half a century. Both still work in the business to this day. David Hasselhoff is a cheesy actor, but he's also more recognizeable around the world than some Presidents. Even Steve-O managed to help build a small entertainment empire from Jackass.

My initial comparison doesn't judge the nature of each star's achievement: the point is that they each did achieve something in the public eye on their own before coming to DWTS. Even Kate Gosselin can say the same -- she parlayed a fluke reality show into books and speaking engagements. I just can't compare Bristol Palin even to Kate. It only becomes about her mother and her politics for me on the side, but not as a part of my point: Bristol is the child of a controversial public figure, and would never have been a public figure herself otherwise. If Sarah Palin hadn't been picked by McCain to stir up an election, chances are that nobody outside of Wasilla would have heard (or cared) about Bristol's unplanned pregnancy, which is really the only catalyst for her "celebrity".

I couldn't stand Kate Gosselin on DWTS, but at least I understood why she was there, as I do The Situation. I really don't understand why Bristol is there. To me, if Bristol is a "star", then they might as well invite people who have been held hostage as well. Merely being mentioned in the news alone doesn't cut it for me.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Bristol is the consolation Palin, since they couldn't have Sarah . . .that would have been the consummate 'get'.

It's true that Bristol is a 'first' for the show by dint of being a famous celebrity's kid rather than being famous on her own merits, whatever 'merit' means when attached to celebrity. But any ire we feel about that is more appropriately directed at the money-and-attention grubbing producers of DWTS and the ABC network than it is at Bristol herself, wouldn't you agree? If Bristol agreed to do this gig for financial gain and to raise her profile, then she is absolutely no different than any other contestant who's ever been on this show. We've had a handful of 'stars' who are still in the prime of their careers, but the vast majority are only vaguely famous or enjoyed their icon status 20 or 30 or 40 years ago. So self-promotion and money is why everyone is on TV in general and this show in particular--including our professional dancers. If Bristol is not deemed 'special' enough to be there competing, she's not 'special' for doing this for cash or PR either. The kid had a chance to get out of her hometown drama for a little while, make some money to support her child and have a chance to be fussed over a bit and glammed up. She's 19 years old . . .can we blame her?

I think it would be fantastic if Bristol discovers her inner dancer and can show it to America Could she then be said to be 'deserving' to be there?

Oh, my wrath is reserved more for ABC, for the precedents they keep setting by blurring the lines about what constitutes an acceptable contestant for the show.

I'm not villifying her for saying 'yes' to the offer they made her, I mean who in her position wouldn't accept (especially with a mother who loves publicity cheering her on). But by no means is this going to endear me to her or her family just because there might be a 'self-discovery' story to be mined here. I don't think she should be there, so that colors my ability to root for her. I'm hoping for a quick elimination, mostly because based on 1 week of dancing, I only saw one celebrity who was worse than her, and he went home
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4070237;
    I disagree. Cloris Leachman is an Oscar and Emmy-winning actress. Florence Henderson has been a name in show business for half a century. Both still work in the business to this day. David Hasselhoff is a cheesy actor, but he's also more recognizeable around the world than some Presidents. Even Steve-O managed to help build a small entertainment empire from Jackass.

My initial comparison doesn't judge the nature of each star's achievement: the point is that they each did achieve something in the public eye on their own before coming to DWTS. Even Kate Gosselin can say the same -- she parlayed a fluke reality show into books and speaking engagements. I just can't compare Bristol Palin even to Kate. It only becomes about her mother and her politics for me on the side, but not as a part of my point: Bristol is the child of a controversial public figure, and would never have been a public figure herself otherwise. If Sarah Palin hadn't been picked by McCain to stir up an election, chances are that nobody outside of Wasilla would have heard (or cared) about Bristol's unplanned pregnancy, which is really the only catalyst for her "celebrity".
    I couldn't stand Kate Gosselin on DWTS, but at least I understood why she was there, as I do The Situation. I really don't understand why Bristol is there. To me, if Bristol is a "star", then they might as well invite people who have been held hostage as well. Merely being mentioned in the news alone doesn't cut it for me.
    It may be a chicken and egg debate, but if Bristol hadn't gotten pregnant when she did, necessitating parading her totally inappropriate "fiance" alongside her at various campaign venues, as both an advertisement for family values, and as an attempt to make lemonade out of lemons, people wouldn't have been talking about her then, or since the election, and DWTS wouldn't have considered her a viable substitute for her mother.

It's a double edged sword as I see it. Some people will resent her appearance on the show, due to either her mother's politics, or her tenuous claim to celebrity. Others will support her solely because of who she (or her mother) is, with little regard to her dance ability.

FORT sun

congratulations ABC. you wanted a controversial contestant ...just like the brits do it.

I thought she did much better this week, but I did feel she was over-scored compared to some of the other contestants.
    The judges were too generous with the 6's last week, imo, so this week they had to all give at least 7 because of the obviously better performance.
    I wish the judges scored out of 20.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Not sure why they insist on labeling her "Teen Activist", unless Tom says it as a double entendre!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Regular

As crazy as it sounds, our media is owned and controlled by international interests that benefit by propagating the myth that the Republicans and Democrats being ponied in front of us are polar opposites. It gives us a false "choice" - as we consistently see both parties furthering the reach of our government at home and our military abroad at the expense of the liberties we hope to pass on to our children (the debt we're passing on to them is incalculable and may very well result in their enslavement at the mercy of global dictates).

I had my suspicions about this when I first learned that Bristol was going to be on one of the highest rated shows going right now. Seeing her non-engaging "performance" last night reel in undeservedly lofty scores (I'm still cracking up from the look Carrie Ann shot at Len when he cast an "8") did nothing to assuage that skepticism. It seems fairly certain that Bristol's presence on the show is a lot more about bolstering her mom's public image than anything else. They're already well on their way to establishing Sarah as a "kingmaker" when it comes to her support of mid-term candidates taking down "establishment" Republicans.

But I hope I'm wrong. I hope Bristol is there legitimately and that she proves to be her own person in charge of her life. I hope the judges simply slipped up in giving her higher scores than fellow competitors who performed better yet received lower scores. I would love to see Bristol advance week after week - but let it be on the merits of her performance as opposed to using her to mold a mainstream public image for her mom.

+ Reply to Thread