+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Florence Henderson & Corky Ballas - Season 11

Who is John Galt?

Re: Florence Henderson & Corky Ballas - Season 11

Enough with the oldsters already. All of them have been pretty creaky and difficult to watch (I don't anymore - just fast forward right through their routine). At 70, she'll probably be more agile than Buzz, but there will be a great many limits on her ability and stamina.

If they're going to spoof anything she was in, I'm hoping they do Shakes the Clown. She was freakin' hilarious as a drunken old clown groupie.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Looks like Corky picked right back up where he left off Florence deserves better. I think she'll get by on the Mrs. Brady/inspirational "old contestants" tag, but eventually that'll pass. I didn't think she did well dance wise, what we saw. I thought there was too much clowning, not enough dancing, and hope Corky gives her a chance to really shine and show what she can do.

And Florence looks great for her age. I give her credit for finally accomplishing this dream of doing the show at 76. But I really did not need to see her flash herself. She wants to have it out with Mike, find another way

FORT Fanatic

Everyone ages if they are lucky. Most people only want to see young, air-brushed contesants on DWTS, but I kinda like the old people trying. Reminds me of my grandparents.I only hope I am lucky enough to dance into my old age.

I have nothing against a fit, older person being on the show.
    I had an 80 year old in my yoga class years ago who was far more fit than most 20 and 30 - somethings.
    I also know an 80 year old who routinely "does the steps" - a big staircase that goes down to the beach. She doesn't just look great; it keeps her fit mentally and physically.
    My dad died when he was 80. When I was growing up, he went to the gym 6 days a week. He continued to exercise and stay fit until he got sick.
    We need more role models who are older and inspirational. Far too many are couch potatoes. I'm all for these older people who can shake their booty.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;4059582;
    Enough with the oldsters already. All of them have been pretty creaky and difficult to watch (I don't anymore - just fast forward right through their routine). At 70, she'll probably be more agile than Buzz, but there will be a great many limits on her ability and stamina.
    I take back some of what I said previously. Florence was a pleasant surprise. She is in better shape than a lot of people far younger than her (The Hoff) and is adorable performing. Good for her!

I feel like I haven't ever really seen Corky dance.
    Cloris has limitations and they played up the laughs and it looks like he might go the same route with Florence.

I'd like to see what Corky can do with a younger partner. We got a glimpse of what he's capable of in one of the group numbers and from what I saw he's an excellent dancer.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4067829;
    Cloris has limitations and they played up the laughs and it looks like he might go the same route with Florence.

I'd like to see what Corky can do with a younger partner. We got a glimpse of what he's capable of in one of the group numbers and from what I saw he's an excellent dancer.
    The funny thing about Corky is, he has one of the best track records and reputations in the ballroom world. He coached many of the pros on this show. Yet watching him perform can be a nightmare. He goes too much for the camera mugging and comedy. I hope that he and Florence get a little more serious. It can be fun to add some humor into the dance, but it gets old when that's all they do. I do agree, though, that I never felt like I've seen Corky dance. Just ham it up.
    Last edited by karalott; 09-23-2010 at 07:09 PM.

My guess is that they pair him with the older contestants because he is the best teacher. He is also probably used to working with students in different age groups.

I would think they purposely don't pair him with younger women, because his shtick would seem twice as pervy as it does with a more mature woman.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast